• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best map for Camino Frances.

mina

I would like to know which is the best map for Camino Frances? I'll start from St Jean Pied de port and I hope that I'll manage to Santiago de Compostela by walking. I would like to have a map which isn't heavy but still has enough information to be on the path. Gracias.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It has been said before but contact your local Spanish Tourist Office for information about the Camino and you may be pleasantly surprised by what they send you.

Map wise the daily strip maps provided loose with guide books like "The Practical Guide for Pilgrims" are much more useful than the large maps of the route as a whole.

Buen Camino
William

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks. The CJS bookshop has "The Camino Francés, 2008". I think I'll order it. I have read much about the Camino from internet, so I don't know do I need "The Practical Guide for Pilgrims".
I'll start my Camino in the end of May. My biggest problem seems to be that I have many good boots and shoes but I don't know which would be the best for the Camino. I am going to walk the whole June and I think that there will be very hot, but also rain.

Hello Mina,
Ediciones Way publishes a set of three pocket maps of the Camino. They fold into a 3 ½" by 3 ½" square and are chock-full of information: distances, altitudes, albergues (with their telephone numbers) and even bicycle shops.
There is one that covers the Camino from St Jean to Burgos, and Somport to Burgos; another from Burgos to O Cebreiro and another from O Cebreiro to Santiago. The name of the map series is "El Camino Jacobeo en tu Bolsillo” (The Way of St. James in your Pocket); ISBN 84-930395-2-7 they are printed in Spanish, French, English and German. They cost about $2-3 and may be ordered from the publisher: Ediciones Way, S. L. c/ San Anselmo No. 1 2818 Madrid Spain
I sent them a 10 euro note in an envelope and they sent me all three.

This is what the pages look like when you open them up:

PS: My mother's name was Mina (short for Jacomina).

Attachments

• Maps.JPG
    Maps.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 34,410
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let me just ask- do we really need a map? To be honest- I was not planning to take one with me!

You don't need a map to walk the camino. If you'd like to have an idea of where you are walking from A to B each day, then a few strip maps will suffice.
I carried relvant pages of the the CSj guide and a few pages with photocopies of the strip maps in the Breirley Guide Book. On the back of those pages I made notes from Linda Davidson's book on what to see in the places on those maps.

Resurrecting the dead thread, here.

No, nobody needs a map for the Camino, strictly speaking, but I for one like maps. :D

I found the one by Pili Pala Press to be extremely useful on my first two Caminos. It showed the geography at a glance and gave me a good visual idea of how and where alternate routes played out.

Unfortunately, mine is pretty well toast at this point, and we're already in the beginning stages of planning for a third Camino. The publisher appears to be out of business, so there's no way to get a new one.

Can anybody recommend a map?

And before somebody suggests Brierley - I don't much care for his maps. They're far too abstract and they don't visually convey distances very well. To each their own.

Thanks in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for resurrecting this thread. I, for one, would just like a map to alleviate a little fear since I will be traveling alone and having paper is comforting. Who knows why I feel that way and why an app on my phone doesn't give me, I would feel more secure with a map.

Thank you for resurrecting this thread. I, for one, would just like a map to alleviate a little fear since I will be traveling alone and having paper is comforting. Who knows why I feel that way and why an app on my phone doesn't give me, I would feel more secure with a map.

I agree. There's just something about paper. Particularly when you have zero reception on your phone... ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You really don't need a map.
Just stay on the track, follow the other pilgrims and the waymarks.
As I said above, I’ve walked the Camino Frances twice now, and I know you don’t need a map.

But I like a map. I particularly like to know what’s near, but not directly on, the route. I also enjoy knowing what the local geography is like. It helps me make decisions about stopping places.

Surely I am not the only one?

As I said above, I’ve walked the Camino Frances twice now, and I know you don’t need a map.

But I like a map. I particularly like to know what’s near, but not directly on, the route. I also enjoy knowing what the local geography is like. It helps me make decisions about stopping places.

Surely I am not the only one?

I was talking to MINA, the OP. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love my old 1990s IGN map of the European Caminos, as it shows the traditional routes rather than the more codified contemporary commercial & waymarked ones -- but it's probably become impossible to purchase.

There's probably still some version of it though still in existence.

But for the Francès, my favourite pseudo- "map" (don't have one now, I've lost or seen destroyed about 6 copies of it, curses !!!), is one produced by IIRC the Castilla tourist board, which has a geometrically accurate depiction of the Camino (including the Somport/Aragonès variant) with useful estimates of distance to Santiago from each town and pueblo and special Camino location.

No strictly geographic information on it as such, but a combination of its information with some more general maps and some other sources, including comparing distances walked from here to there with the date stamps on your Credencial, can be terribly helpful.

There's a nice one here though : http://www.chemins-compostelle.com/sites/all/modules/itineraire/carte.php?id=43

Brierley's book.
I find the maps “cartoonish”. The scale can be “adjusted”. Curves can be straightened to fit the page.

I do agree with sillydoll #8... You don't need a map to walk the camino.

(but the maps give me comfort) So, I buy Brierley's book every time.... for the maps.

What I really don't like is the Brierley book's topographic maps. They round the landscape (maybe so as to not frighten the NewBees).

What I did last time was to print out all the Elevation Map on... https://stevemichelleinspain.wordpress.com/camino-map-and-elevations/

They are very true. I could often figure out were I was (how far to the next pee stop) just from the hills.

Attachments

• Pamplona-to-Puente-la-Reina-elevation-map.jpg
    Pamplona-to-Puente-la-Reina-elevation-map.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back