• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best 'template' for being a pilgrim I have seen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - if we want to know what it is to be a pilgrim, or why we do it, or how to do it - all those questions that are asked ..
.. this man, this Good man, has the best explanation I have yet seen ...

yes - heartfelt, simple and true. as i recall - was he not connected with Gandhi somehow?
https://www.theguardian.com/profile/satish-kumar
thanks for sharing David -

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
yes - heartfelt, simple and true. as i recall - was he not connected with Gandhi somehow?

Very much part of the social and spiritual movement inspired by Gandhi, though a later generation. Satish Kumar was a disciple of Vinoba Bhave who had been a close friend and associate of Gandhi and became his successor in leading some of Gandhi's projects such as the ashram at Wardha. It was Bhave acting as his guru who advised him to maintain his Jain principles during his long peace walk to Europe. Partly as a source of internal strength and discipline, partly as an act of witness to others. Kumar's autobiography Path Without Destination tells the story of the long walk. Well worth reading.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very much part of the social and spiritual movement inspired by Gandhi, though a later generation. Satish Kumar was a disciple of Vinoba Bhave who had been a close friend and associate of Gandhi and became his successor in leading some of Gandhi's projects such as the ashram at Wardha. It was Bhave acting as his guru who advised him to maintain his Jain principles during his long peace walk to Europe. Partly as a source of internal strength and discipline, partly as an act of witness to others. Kumar's autobiography Path Without Destination tells the story of the long walk. Well worth reading.
Thank you !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi - if we want to know what it is to be a pilgrim, or why we do it, or how to do it - all those questions that are asked ..

Thank you David.
So simple, yet so profound

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very much part of the social and spiritual movement inspired by Gandhi, though a later generation. Satish Kumar was a disciple of Vinoba Bhave who had been a close friend and associate of Gandhi and became his successor in leading some of Gandhi's projects such as the ashram at Wardha. It was Bhave acting as his guru who advised him to maintain his Jain principles during his long peace walk to Europe. Partly as a source of internal strength and disciplinto me, partly as an act of witness to others. Kumar's autobiography Path Without Destination tells the story of the long walk. Well worth reading.
Bradypus, I now have a copy of this book, thanks to my favourite used book store here in Victoria, BC. I ordered it after reading your post. Many thanks.....

So I guees that after all this talk about "it's my Camino" walking really is key. Jean-Christophe Ruffin talks about the importance of each step, connecting to the earth.
@Anemone del Camino @Kanga There is an Irish priest-poet-philosopher-mystic, John O'Donohue, who died far too young a few years ago. There was a posthumous book of talks and interviews by him, last year, called Walking on the Pastures of Wonder, (which is what children of whatever age do). He talks beautifully of walking on the earth. I haven't got the book with me (here tonight in San Martin Pinario in SdC!) so I'm paraphrasing but he talks about the clay which is me communicating with the clay which is the earth. They recognize each other. It's a great book.

Last edited:
Bradypus, I now have a copy of this book, thanks to my favourite used book store here in Victoria, BC. I ordered it after reading your post. Many thanks.....
I hope you enjoy reading it. It is several years since I read it myself but I found it a fascinating account of a large part of a life which is fortunately still such an inspiring "work in progress" .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are many kinds of pilgrims and this wonderful man has a wonderful philosophy for walking for peace and for humankind.

"When you are walking, the destination is not important" is not quite the philosophy that prompted the great medieval pilgrimages, which were all 'goal' or 'destination' oriented.

The Santiago Cathedral's Pilgrim's Office says that walking is not the aim, it is not about the journey. The purpose of pilgrims on the Camino is to arrive; arrive at the tomb of the apostle and venerate his remains.

Ditto for pilgrimage to Haj, Muktinath or the Kumano Kodo pilgrimage.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Bradypus. I have ordered the book.

An inspiring message for all of us, whether walking the Camino or simply muddling our way through the journey of life. I'm not sure I'd call it a pilgrimage in the traditional sense, as most think of a pilgrimage as a personal, inward journey of self-enlightenment. This man walked to call attention to matters of great concern to all of us--peace, goodwill toward our fellow man, respect for the earth. That's an outward journey which I'd call a noble quest. Perhaps one leads to the other. The world needs both.

how peaceful and the truth explanation of a pilgrimage

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hi David Thanks for sharing such a beutiful video,it is so true it brought a tear to my eyes. Cheers Tony

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back