• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best way to Fatima

Gil A

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Camino Frances
2014 Camino Frances
2015 Camino Portugues
2017 Camino Portugues
It is done. We got our tickets and we will be flying to Lisboa on may 4th. We want to visit Fatima in our way to Santiago. We have plenty of time.

The question for all of you familiar with Portugal. What is the best way to accomplish this?
Is there a well marked camino from Lisboa to Fatima or should we follow the Camino Portugues to Santarem or Tomar and walk from there? or are there buses from Santarem or Tomar to Fatima?

I will appreciate recommendations and or comments; what is the best way?

Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From Lisbon follow the blue waymarks all away to Fátima. The camino follows the same route to Santarèm. From there you walk a different way.
You can go by bus and by train but the station is far away from Fátima
Best is to turn back to Santarèm and continue your caminho .
For us Fátima was a disappointment and we only stayed there about one hour.
I have seen it and that is enough but that is my opinion.but find out yourself.

Last edited:
Gil, as Albertinho indicates...follow the Blue waymarks. You will find many locations where the yellow and the blue are positioned next to one another...pilgrim routes are one in the same...only of a different color. Though...seldom a shade of grey...though I digress;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Do you want to walk?
Or ride?
I loved Fatima, personally.
I also highly recommend you see Sintra while in Portugal.

The buses run about once an hour from Lisbon's Sete Rios bus terminal and are a good way to get from Lisbon to Fatima.
If money's not an issue, you can get some wonderful day tours that will take you to Obidos, Fatima, and Batalha.
The train goes to Sintra each day, and they have a lovely albergue there.
Not sure if they take reservations - but it was very inexpensive and quite lovely.

Hi I walked to Fatima in 2011 from a little place called Merceana. This was about 28km of trail in hobbit like countryside before joining the main route 7 km before Azambuja, it had the added advantage of an Albergue de Peregrinos just opening on it. If you want to walk to Fatima you can, there is a route from Lisbon which is the same as the Camino de Santiago as far as Santerem, there is another route which joins this route 12 km before Azambuja which is on trail as well, the main route ( from Lisbon is around 140 km, the two little feeder routes are about 120-130 km. There is another route from Estoril via Sintra and Torres Vedras which was way marked in 2013, this is about 205 km and roughly goes through the places that the other historical route of Lisbon to Santiago went, it is called the Camino do Mar, the big difference for present day route is it turns of to Fatima instead of continuing to Coimbra. There are three other options at least for walking to Fatima, one goes from Nazare on the coast to Fatima and is about 50km long. Aveiro has a route which is well marked and goes through rural areas on a lot of trail(about 150km) and Porto has a waymarked way south to Fatima going along the camino in reverse and turing off at Ansiao, around 240km.
There is some websites out there and a Facebook page, look for Association of the Amigos of Fatima, it is difficult to put a link up through my mobile.

Bom Caminho

Last edited by a moderator:
It is done. We got our tickets and we will be flying to Lisboa on may 4th. We want to visit Fatima in our way to Santiago. We have plenty of time.

The question for all of you familiar with Portugal. What is the best way to accomplish this?
Is there a well marked camino from Lisboa to Fatima or should we follow the Camino Portugues to Santarem or Tomar and walk from there? or are there buses from Santarem or Tomar to Fatima?

I will appreciate recommendations and or comments; what is the best way?

Thanks

There is a really well marked way from Lisbon to Fatima. It's a very beautiful caminho, except for the first 2 or 3 days, depending how you manage to put up your stages. You can find about the first stage in here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-to-vila-franca-de-xira-considerations.30966/

You can also check out some pictures from my Caminho de Fátima in last September/October in here: https://www.facebook.com/stonedtroo...50172781185.1073741832.100008286481160&type=3

There is another route from Estoril via Sintra and Torres Vedras which was way marked in 2013, this is about 205 km and roughly goes through the places that the other historical route of Lisbon to Santiago went, it is called the Camino do Mar, the big difference for present day route is it turns of to Fatima instead of continuing to Coimbra.

Actually, a small consideration about this. Although marked with some point of view to historical events and places, all the Caminhos that go to Fatima have nothing to do with any descriptions for routes taken to Santiago. Fatima it's a phenomenon only 98 years old, and the majority of the pilgrimages started only after 1953, when the Basílica was finally constructed, after Salazar wish to make a portuguese place of faith on Fatima (it was really kind of a political thing to be honest, since the country was ruled under the moto "Motherland, God and Family").

With this being said, there is no historical connection between the Caminho de Fátima and the Caminho de Santiago. The project to construct the Caminho de Fatima with waymarkings started in 2003, after the Centro Nacional de Cultura (National Center of Culture) decided to do it, regarding the accidents that happened every year with pilgrims, being hit by cars on the National Roads. So it was designed something very similar to the Caminho de Santiago, being the difference that there are no use of historical references to mark it (we don't have texts saying that X person went to Fatima via that way). The simple purpose to do it is to put pilgrims out of the N roads. Simple has that.

This it's a problem here in Portugal, since it's getting way out of control. Any person today paints an arrow in a place, and say that the Caminho goes through that way, a thing that kind of mess around with pilgrims.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Diego, you are right the Caminho do Fatima is not an historical route but they have used the historical and modern day routes of the Caminho de Santiago where they can, it makes sense when it comes to waymarking and the provision of other facilities. When it comes to the other routes which have no historical background that go to Fatima, why not? Its a place of pilgrimage for religious people,as long as the motivation is for creating a route that benefits pilgrims. The two feeder routes that were created before Azambuja have that motivation, they walk to Fatima with joy through their devotion on tranquil paths. I do not have this motivation but I am not above jumping on tranquil paths and using albergues even if there no precedence for it being a pilgrim path of old.
After I posted on this thread earlier I had a look around to see what was happening with the Fatima routes and came across a Facebook page for the Caminho Do Mar, they refer to the Caminho de Santiago as a motivation in way marking this route and where possible use those paths. Just add that it looks like they might be creating an Albergue de Peregrinos in Cascais, which is the start for that caminho, but its not until Sinatra the route matches the old way out of Lisbon.

Bom Caminho

Thanks to everyone, our trip to Fatima will be of a religious nature, we are Catholics and our motivation is to visit the shrine of Our Lady. We want to walk as much as possible but we are slow, no more than 20 km a day. The years weight more than the backpack by the time you get to the seventh floor. It looks like there are lots of options from what you say. I'll have a talk with wonder woman. I can see 3 options now:

1) Go to Fatima on a bus from Lisboa and then return to Lisboa and walk el Camino to Santiago from there
2) Go to Santarem and take a bus from there, visit Fatima and return in a bus to Santarem to continue the Camino
3) Walk all the way following one of the paths that mikevasey indicates in his posts.

Comments anyone?

Thanks to everyone, our trip to Fatima will be of a religious nature, we are Catholics and our motivation is to visit the shrine of Our Lady. We want to walk as much as possible but we are slow, no more than 20 km a day. The years weight more than the backpack by the time you get to the seventh floor. It looks like there are lots of options from what you say. I'll have a talk with wonder woman. I can see 3 options now:

1) Go to Fatima on a bus from Lisboa and then return to Lisboa and walk el Camino to Santiago from there
2) Go to Santarem and take a bus from there, visit Fatima and return in a bus to Santarem to continue the Camino
3) Walk all the way following one of the paths that mikevasey indicates in his posts.

Comments anyone?
Walk to Santarèm , take the bus, come back to Santarèm and walk on I should say.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
More...

Last year on el Camino Frances, I started to walk right after we arrived, no rest, no recovery from jet lag, the result is that I passed out on the trail just before Larrasoaña and wonder woman had to take me in a taxi to an ER in Pamplona. The diagnosis was exhaustion. I had to rest a couple of days in Pamplona before we could get going. This time we plan to give ourselves a few days in Lisboa before we start walking. Thus, a day trip by bus to Fatima may be appropriate as well as a day trip to Sintra (thanks for the suggestion Anniesantiago). An of course a day or two of exploring Lisboa. But we are still planning and thinkingand the main objective still is el Camino Portugues to the tomb of the apostle.

A few years ago I saw a map of a little route in and around Fatima connecting the places linked with 98 years ago, it was easily doable in one day and you could leave your backpack in your hotel but I can not remember where I saw it( possibly on the church website), if you are interested you could ask at one of the info points when you get there.

Good Luck and Bom Caminho

More...

Last year on el Camino Frances, I started to walk right after we arrived, no rest, no recovery from jet lag, the result is that I passed out on the trail just before Larrasoaña and wonder woman had to take me in a taxi to an ER in Pamplona. The diagnosis was exhaustion. I had to rest a couple of days in Pamplona before we could get going. This time we plan to give ourselves a few days in Lisboa before we start walking. Thus, a day trip by bus to Fatima may be appropriate as well as a day trip to Sintra (thanks for the suggestion Anniesantiago). An of course a day or two of exploring Lisboa. But we are still planning and thinkingand the main objective still is el Camino Portugues to the tomb of the apostle.

Gil
If you want to walk to Fatima, see this site:
http://www.caminho.com.pt/index_e.html

or:
If you want to go by bus (Lisbon - Fatima) consulting this site:
http://www.rede-expressos.pt/default.aspx

AMSimoes

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Diego, you are right the Caminho do Fatima is not an historical route but they have used the historical and modern day routes of the Caminho de Santiago where they can, it makes sense when it comes to waymarking and the provision of other facilities. When it comes to the other routes which have no historical background that go to Fatima, why not? Its a place of pilgrimage for religious people,as long as the motivation is for creating a route that benefits pilgrims. The two feeder routes that were created before Azambuja have that motivation, they walk to Fatima with joy through their devotion on tranquil paths. I do not have this motivation but I am not above jumping on tranquil paths and using albergues even if there no precedence for it being a pilgrim path of old.
After I posted on this thread earlier I had a look around to see what was happening with the Fatima routes and came across a Facebook page for the Caminho Do Mar, they refer to the Caminho de Santiago as a motivation in way marking this route and where possible use those paths. Just add that it looks like they might be creating an Albergue de Peregrinos in Cascais, which is the start for that caminho, but its not until Sinatra the route matches the old way out of Lisbon.

Bom Caminho

I understand that Mike :) I was just giving some kind of information regarding this, since there are people who believe that the Caminhos de Fátima have some kind of proved connection with the Caminho de Santiago. Although I believe that it's a very good symbiosis, there are some pilgrims associations who don't like it very much.

I was yesterday on a hike in Sintra, and saw some markings in the middle of the serra and let me tell you that, they either improve the things on the Caminho do Mar, or pilgrims will have a lot of difficulties, especially regarding where they can buy food and water.

Comments anyone?

Choose either option 1 or option2.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I liked MichaelSG's comments on a similar thread, so I'll paste them in here.

I planned to walk to Fatima from Santarem, then to Tomar but changed my mind as I wanted to stay with the few pilgrims who I was meeting up with at the stops. I also decided to walk all the way to SdC then stop in Fatima on the way back to Lisbon by bus. I didn't want to take the day off for the side trip from Santarem or Tomar by bus. If you want to do that though, I suggest the day break would be better from Tomar after several long days of hiking.

I think he has a couple of tips that no one has mentioned, so maybe they will be of interest to others.

A day trip to Fatima from Tomar works well. Four of us walked from Lisbon to Santiago with a rest day (2 nights) in Tomar (there is an excellent new albergue in Tomar). Whilst two relaxed (i.e. walked a lot sightseeing in Tomar) the other two took a day trip by bus to Fatima. Incidentally, we found that most Portuguese people we spoke to couldn't understand why we were walking to Santiago and not Fatima, and I understood exactly what they meant. It's an overwhelming story and well worth reading up on it. We were walking to Santiago at the same time as the annual pilgrimage to Fatima, so once we were north of Fatima, the pilgrims we kept passing going in the opposite direction (i.e. south to Fatima), kept telling us we were going the wrong way, and were very concerned for us. Jill

A day trip to Fatima from Tomar works well. Four of us walked from Lisbon to Santiago with a rest day (2 nights) in Tomar (there is an excellent new albergue in Tomar). Whilst two relaxed (i.e. walked a lot sightseeing in Tomar) the other two took a day trip by bus to Fatima. Incidentally, we found that most Portuguese people we spoke to couldn't understand why we were walking to Santiago and not Fatima, and I understood exactly what they meant. It's an overwhelming story and well worth reading up on it. We were walking to Santiago at the same time as the annual pilgrimage to Fatima, so once we were north of Fatima, the pilgrims we kept passing going in the opposite direction (i.e. south to Fatima), kept telling us we were going the wrong way, and were very concerned for us. Jill
We had the same experience. An old Portugese woman was very disappointed when she asked where we went to ,that we were walking to Santiago instead of Fátima.
Therefor specially we drove from Tomar to Fátima last year to see what we could have missed.
As I wrote allready Fátima is not my thing so next time I forget the detour and keep on following the yellow waymarkers to Santiago.

Just had a look at the Caminho de Fatima amigos Facebook, in the last week they have way marked a route between Fatima and Tomar( 29.3 km), its called the Caminho Nascente, it is way marked both ways, blue arrows to Fatima and yellow to Tomar. It looks a mixture of road, which is inevitable in the areas near the towns and then in the more remoter stretches off road trails.

Just had a look at the Caminho de Fatima amigos Facebook, in the last week they have way marked a route between Fatima and Tomar( 29.3 km), its called the Caminho Nascente, it is way marked both ways, blue arrows to Fatima and yellow to Tomar. It looks a mixture of road, which is inevitable in the areas near the towns and then in the more remoter stretches off road trails.
"Habit" is that pilgrims to Fatima walk the shortest way ,that means that frequently they walk alongside busy roads on hardshoulders.
They are recognizable at their yellow safety vests, light daypacks and trainers.
Often they walk in groups.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
These guys are the ones trying to take the Fatima routes off road. Rodrigo, who I have met and saw in some of the photos way marking has walked various Caminhos around Spain and Portugal, he is quite a motivating figure within this group and I know where he can he will take routes on to more rugged natural paths. It might be the habit of Fatima pilgrims to walk in groups usually because they are going there for specific dates, but the off road paths are still there for individuals to wander down when they want.

You can consult and download the track gps:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=z6QSjS96a2_w.k2HB9F9TMB74

It is a Camino to Santiago and not a Camino of Santiago.

AMSimoes

If I wanted to walk the CP from Lisbon and visit Fatima as well this is the route I would do, the Caminho Nascente, I would walk to Tomar on the central route book into an albergue or pension for two nights and then on the free day walk to Fatima without my backpack, then come back in the evening on the bus. I like Fatima and have walked there but the infrastructure and amount of asphalt on the link up to the other place ( Ansiao) makes it something I do not want to repeat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"Habit" is that pilgrims to Fatima walk the shortest way ,that means that frequently they walk alongside busy roads on hardshoulders.
They are recognizable at their yellow safety vests, light daypacks and trainers.
Often they walk in groups.

Indeed. Pilgrimages to Fátima are traditionally done within the group of a parish (village/town) or city (council district). That is why you usually see large groups and not isolated individuals or a couple. These are organized, so their luggage is carried somewhere, with some stops and scheduled places to sleep.
My mother has walked it twice, doing 40 - 50km days, some groups do even more. On hard cobbles or tarmac it must be absolutely grueling.

The way the pilgrimages is lived is very different. I think it is a good idea to give people the option of avoiding the busy national roads. However, I think people are not aware that the option is there, and I'm not sure they'll take it.

On our Camino last year we took the bus from Tomar to Fatima. There were no problems and the bus was the regular bus for the locals. We enjoyed a day in Fatima and returned late in the afternoon.

Saw some more photos today of the Camino Nascente (Tomar-Fatima-Tomar) its looks like it may be routed along the top of a Aqueduto, I think it is one called Aqueduto dos Pegoes, it is quite high and long and the path is narrow so I don't know what happens if people are coming the other way. It could be that the pilgrims who walked this route as part of its inauguration had special permission to walk on the top and the real way may lay at its base on another path. Just thought I would post this because I know some people do not like heights.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This has been a very interesting thread for me as I learned alot about the Caminho. I have gained an interest to do this myself someday. Thank you for everyone that contributed to this thread.

Ed

This has been a very interesting thread for me as I learned alot about the Caminho. I have gained an interest to do this myself someday. Thank you for everyone that contributed to this thread.

Ed
The association for the amigos of Fatima have a Facebook page, you can get a taste of the various ways to Fatima by the photos they have posted. Its going to get busier, have more infrastructure for various places that want a more green way to Fatima in the lead up to 2017 which is a centenary year.

The association for the amigos of Fatima have a Facebook page, you can get a taste of the various ways to Fatima by the photos they have posted. Its going to get busier, have more infrastructure for various places that want a more green way to Fatima in the lead up to 2017 which is a centenary year.
Thank you Mike. I will search for the site.

Ed

Thank you Mike. I will search for the site.

Ed

Hi Ed if you check Amisoes post from the 23 Feb in this thread it has a link to the website of the Fatima amigos, I just checked it but I'm not sure if their Facebook link is working but it could give you pointers for where to look.

Mike

Hi Ed if you check Amisoes post from the 23 Feb in this thread it has a link to the website of the Fatima amigos, I just checked it but I'm not sure if their Facebook link is working but it could give you pointers for where to look.

Mike
Thank you again Mike!!!!

I have a quick question about getting to Fatima from Tomar. I checked the bus schedule and it seems there is only one bus early in the morning at 07:00hrs via REDE - Express, returning 16:55hrs from Fatima to Tomar. Santarem has one bus in the morning at 10:45hrs with a return at 17:45hrs also via REDE Express. I will be traveling in early September. The REDE calendar only goes out to one month.
Has anyone taken another bus company, taxi, or hitchhiked? Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a quick question about getting to Fatima from Tomar. I checked the bus schedule and it seems there is only one bus early in the morning at 07:00hrs via REDE - Express, returning 16:55hrs from Fatima to Tomar. Santarem has one bus in the morning at 10:45hrs with a return at 17:45hrs also via REDE Express. I will be traveling in early September. The REDE calendar only goes out to one month.
Has anyone taken another bus company, taxi, or hitchhiked? Thanks

Try the train. There are several via Lamarosa.
http://www.cp.pt/passageiros/pt

Mike Vasey: Thank you. This information is exactly what I am seeking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, Whariwharangi. Isn't Lamarosa NW of Coimbra? I am thinking of making either Tomar or Santarem my base for a side trip to Fatima. Let me play around with bus and train schedules and see what works. Appreciate the help I am receiving. John

Thanks, Whariwharangi. Isn't Lamarosa NW of Coimbra? I am thinking of making either Tomar or Santarem my base for a side trip to Fatima. Let me play around with bus and train schedules and see what works. Appreciate the help I am receiving. John

I don't know much about geography in Portugal. All I know is the CP schedule shows frequent train service between Fatima and Tomar. The train service shows a transfer is required at Lamarosa. Since duration of trip is about an hour ... I don't see how the route matters.

but we are slow, no more than 20 km a day

20 km a day is not slow, we rarely do much more and we have walked 1300 km on Camino's. Take your time and enjoy your Camino, you may never get a chance to do another.

I don't know much about geography in Portugal. All I know is the CP schedule shows frequent train service between Fatima and Tomar. The train service shows a transfer is required at Lamarosa. Since duration of trip is about an hour ... I don't see how the route matters.
There is no train station in Fatima, the places listed as train stations for Fatima are all over 20 km distance away. Caxarias which is one of the places listed as a Fatima train station is over 23 km away, the buses linking the two places are infrequent.

There is no train station in Fatima, the places listed as train stations for Fatima are all over 20 km distance away. Caxarias which is one of the places listed as a Fatima train station is over 23 km away, the buses linking the two places are infrequent.

Yeah, thats not much use to someone on foot ...

I guess another option to explore is to take the Rede Express bus to Lisboa (hourly)then transfer to a bus from Lisboa to Tomar (frequent though not hourly). I suppose it might be possible to find another transfer point closer to Fatima.

Rodotejo - clik on the 'carreiras interurbanas' button and enter Fatima and Tomar.
http://www.rodotejo.pt/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
jsalt...thanks for the detail here. My wife and I will be walking the CP next year and will be visiting Fatima. We'll be looking for a bus/taxi out of Tomar. From Rome2Rio...I'm only seeing buses on the weekends (which seems a bit odd), and only an afternoon service out of Fatima back to Tomar. I'm 'reading' that your friends didn't have any problems with the bus service (and a same day return leg). Was this the case? Thank you!

jsalt...thanks for the detail here. My wife and I will be walking the CP next year and will be visiting Fatima. We'll be looking for a bus/taxi out of Tomar. From Rome2Rio...I'm only seeing buses on the weekends (which seems a bit odd), and only an afternoon service out of Fatima back to Tomar. I'm 'reading' that your friends didn't have any problems with the bus service (and a same day return leg). Was this the case? Thank you!
Hi, I posted in 2015, so hopefully someone will chip in with the current bus times :D

Hi, I posted in 2015, so hopefully someone will chip in with the current bus times :D
Yes I noted the thread was established some time ago, but thought I'd try here first before starting something new. Really appreciate you getting back to me though. Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A quick look on Google:

Bus 07:30 (Sat, Sun, holidays) from Tomar, arrives Fatima at 08:16.

Or at 07:50 (weekdays) arrives 08:45.

Returns at 18:33 (Sat, Sun, holidays) or at 18:43 (weekdays).

A quick look on Google:

Bus 07:30 (Sat, Sun, holidays) from Tomar, arrives Fatima at 08:16.

Or at 07:50 (weekdays) arrives 08:45.

Returns at 18:33 (Sat, Sun, holidays) or at 18:43 (weekdays).
jsalt thank you! Rome2Rio was sort of close (out by 30 min on dep time). As our schedule sits we'll leave Tomar on a Sunday for Fatima. Intend staying the night, then I'll taxi back to Tomar on Monday morning and continue our walk. Really appreciate your help on this. Cheers.

jsalt thank you! Rome2Rio was sort of close (out by 30 min on dep time). As our schedule sits we'll leave Tomar on a Sunday for Fatima. Intend staying the night, then I'll taxi back to Tomar on Monday morning and continue our walk. Really appreciate your help on this. Cheers.
When you've arrived in Tomar, just take a short walk to the bus station, and check the bus schedules for the next day. No harm in double checking, as it would be a shame to miss the bus by 5 minutes.
Also check if there is a bus from Fatima to Tomar on the Mon morning, so you don't have to waste money on a taxi fare.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A local (central Portuguese) news source reported recently on the newly marked routes to Fatima from 1/ Serta 2/Tomar and 3/ Abrantes (east of Vila Nova da Barquinha on the Tejo/Tagus). Here's a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.