• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best way to start

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug. 2015 Camino Frances
Fellow pilgrims I need your advice - I will be arriving from Canada in SJPdP late afternoon-early evening on Saturday August 22 and I can't decide what to do: Should I start on Sunday and sleep in Orisson (is the Pilgrim office open on Sundays?)? Start on the Monday and sleep in Orisson? go all the way to Roncesvalles, weather permitting of course? I hear that a stopover in Orisson is nice to connect with the pilgrims who you will often run into during the camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In SJPdP the Pilgrim Office at 39 rue de La Citadelle is open every day of the year generally from early morning until the last train/bus arrives at night about 22:30.

In making your plans do remember that following a transAtlantic flight your body will be tired. Try NOT to rush right off walking but DO take time to acclimate.

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

I hear that a stopover in Orisson is nice to connect with the pilgrims who you will often run into during the camino.
Maybe. Most pilgrims go all the way to Roncesvalles, so the group you meet there will be hammering out journeyman stages.

The pilgrims you meet at Orisson are more leisurely, perhaps older, and using a backpack service as well. They may be slower and cover shorter distances than typical pilgrims. You might discover that you leave them behind.

Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hélène, reading posts from other pilgrims flying in from long distances, it appears that many who didn't take the time to rest on their first day, struggled with tiredness for a while. If you are not massively pressed for time, why not spend the first night in SJPdP which, by all accounts is a lovely French town, and start fresh on Sunday morning. You can then make the decision to stop at Orisson or push on to Roncesvalles - depending on your level of fitness, etc. If you do not fit into the group mentioned by @falcon269, you may discover - as he says - that you are too fast for them!
Whatever you decide ... buen Camino.
Suzanne :)

Maybe. Most pilgrims go all the way to Roncesvalles, so the group you meet there will be hammering out journeyman stages.

The pilgrims you meet at Orisson are more leisurely, perhaps older, and using a backpack service as well. They may be slower and cover shorter distances than typical pilgrims. You might discover that you leave them behind.

Buen camino.
This is an very odd comment. Is the assumption that all who stay in Orisson are older and using backpack services? I doubt it. I think it makes good sense to stay in Orisson, particularly after jet-lag, general fatigue and especially after the Pyrenees. But reservations are filling up in Orisson. My friend who inspired me to do this pilgrimage said she only wished she had stayed in Orisson, but there were no vancacies (last year.

My recommendation would be to have a rest day in St Jean to get over jet lag, and then, depending on your level of fitness, either stay at Orisson or go straight through to Roncevalles. But don't under estimate the 27km to Roncevalles. Because it is the first day's walk before you are 'battle hardened', I consider it the hardest day on the full Camino to Santiago.
I also find the comment from Falcon269 very strange. When I stayed there no one used the baggage service, and although one lady did get a taxi to Roncevalles, she completed the rest of the camino on foot.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you all for your comments. I have now made a reservation in SJPdP for 2 nights (since I will be arriving late Saturday) so I can start first thing Monday morning. I will decide as I go whether to stop in Orisson depending on the weather and what my body is telling me :) I guess this means taking a chance that there will be room for me in Orisson but it may be a little less busy by the end of August...I hear you camino-david, I do realize the difficulty of the first stage to Roncesvalles thus my questioning...

Thank you all for your comments. I have now made a reservation in SJPdP for 2 nights (since I will be arriving late Saturday) so I can start first thing Monday morning. I will decide as I go whether to stop in Orisson depending on the weather and what my body is telling me :) I guess this means taking a chance that there will be room for me in Orisson but it may be a little less busy by the end of August...I hear you camino-david, I do realize the difficulty of the first stage to Roncesvalles thus my questioning...
I wouldn't assume there will be a bed at Orisson. I won't arrive there until Sept 27 and it was almost sold out. September seems to be getting much busier each year….Buen Camino

I would caution everyone not to overdue it the first four days, simply because you don't want to start a physical issue like tendonitis that can haunt you every step of the rest of the way. Also, in general, try to go easy and take great care on the steep down hills. Good luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would caution everyone not to overdue it the first four days, simply because you don't want to start a physical issue like tendonitis that can haunt you every step of the rest of the way. Also, in general, try to go easy and take great care on the steep down hills. Good luck!
Thank you my feathered peregrino friend. I decided to follow wise advice from all you seasoned peregrinos and booked one night in Orisson to break up that first segment between SJPdP and Roncesvalles. So hopefully the jetlag and anxiety of the last few months will subside with 2 nights in SJPdP and my body will most likely thank me for the pit stop in Orisson :) Again, thanks for your advice.

My advice is to spend two nights in SJPDP if you have the time, it's a lovely village. Good food, nice wine and a great town to walk around in and rest after your flight. It puts you in the right mood to walk your Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
đź‘Ł Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the FerĂ­a de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back