• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Blessing at the end of the Pilgrims' Mass

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Those who have been to a Pilgrims' Mass this year might have noticed a special blessing is given to pilgrims at the end of the Mass. It is given in Spanish but here is the text in English. It is also used at the end of all Masses in English.

Santiago Pilgrims’ Blessing

Father God we ask your blessing
on these pilgrims who have come
to venerate the tomb
of your Apostle Santiago.

As you kept them safe
on their Camino way,
may you keep them safe
on their journey home.
And, inspired by their experience here,
may they live out the values of the Gospel
as their pilgrimage through life continues.

We ask Saint James to intercede for us
as we ask this in the name of Jesus Christ,
your Son and our Redeemer.

Amen.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Those who have been to a Pilgrims' Mass this year might have noticed a special blessing is given to pilgrims at the end of the Mass. It is given in Spanish but here is the text in English. It is also used at the end of all Masses in English.

to venerate the tomb

As you kept them safe
on their Camino way,
may you keep them safe
on their journey home.

Thank you for the translation John! Very nice.

Amen.

YES!!!!! ...thank you soo much for this translation. I heard it yesterday at Mass and was very moved by it ( i understand enough spanish to get it, but now i can forward and share it with friends)
Happy to receive it...
And...not to hijack this thread....i arrived in santiago last friday after four weeks on the portuguese caminho....oh the marvels and the beauty and the rain and the vinho :)
Anyway .... Saturday i got suddenly and violently ill and was quite on my own...and only yesterday started eating again slowly....at a cafe not too far from the catedrale.... When i felt drawn back to the catedrale. So, gingerly I walked back to this wondrous place...using the hiking pole as a cane..and walked right into noon mass...and stayed all the way through...standing in the nave.
Everything now seemed so much more meaningful to me and something completed itself....Santiagos timing, not mine.
Friday i also attended the evening mass...but i was just there..not with it. The caminho already had been IT...full of blessings, i somehow did not look towards the mass in any specuial way...BUT
Perhaps i had to be utterly purged of whatever needed to leave my system before i could really witness the proper "end" of this pilgrimage...
And in that state to hear the special blessing...i really felt so simply still and peacedul and very grateful.
And after mass we were once again blessed the fragrant way....what a lovely surprise (to me, i had no clue it would swing) ....
And now reading the translation....
GREAT!
Am in porto now...making my way back to lisbon slowly..
Best wishes
Claudia

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

to venerate the tomb

As you kept them safe
on their Camino way,
may you keep them safe
on their journey home.

Amen.
Thanks for that Johnny - have taken a copy.

Lovely blessing. Isn't a copy of the translation also left on the pews for the English Mass, John?

While on the subject, the English Mass is lovely if like Claudia you feel drawn back to the Cathedral during your stay in Santiago. It's in one of the side chapels so much more intimate. I think it's 10.30 am until October.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back