• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Botafumeiro

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
In 2007 my husband walked the last 100km of the Camino Frances, joining me at Sarria. He was very disappointed not to see the Botafumeiro at two mid-day masses.

When I made enquiries at the Pilgrim's Office about the swinging of the Botafumeiro I was told that it follows a liturgical calendar that forms part of the mass. Outside of these dates, one can make a request, and payment, in advance to have it swung during the mass. The cost then was 240 euro - I'm not sure what it is now. Many groups share the cost so that they can see the Botafumeiro when they attend mass.

The fixed dates are:
January - Epiphany
Easter Sunday
Ascension of the Lord
Pentecost (50 days after Easter)
Anniversary of the Battle of Clavijo - May 23
July 25: Feast of St. James the Apostle
August: Assumption
All Saints
Feast of Christ the King (Sunday before the first Sunday of Advent
Dec. 8: Immaculate Conception
December 25: Christmas
December 30: translation of the Holy Apostle

To book the Botafumerio send a request to:
Pilgrims Centre
Rúa do Vilar, 1
15705 Santiago de Compostela
Tel: (+34) 981 568 846
http://www.archicompostela.org / Pilgrim
peregrinos@archicompostela.org

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
300€ now I think

The cathedral justify the cost by saying that when the Botafumeiro is used for litugical purposes only (and sometimes at the startg of the mass) they pay for the men when pull the rope. When people wish to see the botafumeiro fly purely as a spectacle then the 8 red-robed tiraboleiros who prepare it, light the charcoal, make it fly then dismantle it, need to be paid.

Thanks John - it would be nice if there was a notice on the site that tells pilgrims when the Botafumeiro will swing. I know its not what the mass is about (Don Jaime scolded me about that in 2002!) but it would be nice to know beforehand and perhaps have time to reserve it for a particular day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola Sil

I can't see them agreeing to do that for the reasons you give. Sometimes if people ask in the office and there is time to look in the diary pilgrims can find out when it will be used. A good way to tell is if it is hanging in the Cathedral it usually will be used!

John

This information makes me feel truly blessed because I saw it two days in a row when I was in Santiago last May. It looks like one of those days was because of a military celebration of some sort. Cool!

I think the price was raised to 300 Euro last year for the swinging of the botafumeiro. I hit a triple on one day, a swinging at three different masses.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.