• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Botafumeiro

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
As I find myself within 70km of Santiago, I’m beginning to prepare myself for “arriving” there.

I’m hearing conflicting reports about the botafumeiro - so I’d like to ask the Hive Mind for clarification.

Does it happen daily, or on Friday, or on Sunday?

All three versions have been mentioned...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations and Buen Camino
http://catedraldesantiago.es/liturgia/#botafumeiro
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/. Under the FAQ’s page
I think you have to reserserve it It no longer operates daily. The following is copied from the FAQ’s page :
When does Botafumeiro work?

The Botafumeiro (‘censer’ in Galician) is one of the most famous and popular symbols of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. It is a large censer that swings from the central dome of the Cathedral, from which it hangs by a system of pulleys, to the side naves. Eight men are required to move it, who are known as the tiraboleiros, as it weighs 53 kg and measures 1.50 metres; it is suspended at a height of 20 metres and can reach a high speed.

The Botafumeiro is used for liturgical purposes, in the same way any priest would use a censer at the altar, and you can see it on the following days of Eucharistic celebration

• The Epiphany: 6th January
  • Easter Sunday
  • The Ascension of the Lord
  • The Appearance of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23rd May
  • Pentecost
  • The Martyrdom of St. James: 25th July
  • Mary’s Assumption: 15th August
  • All Saints: 1st November
  • Christ the King
  • Immaculate Conception: 8th December
  • Christmas: 25th December
  • Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30th December
The Botafumeiro can also be operated to mark pilgrimages that have been requested at the Pilgrim’s Reception Office

To reserve the Botafumeiro, please send an email to: botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the 'off season' like now (October - Easter), the Botafumeiro is only used on the Catholic Holy Days and Solemnities listed above, in Iriebabel's post. At all other times, it is only used if someone or some group ponies up the @ € 400 to cover the costs of having it used.

Note: With the exception of the wonderful nun who sings the hymn, all others involved in the ceremony are laypersons who must be paid. In this regards, it is not much different than having to hire pallbearers for a funeral.

Also, each time the Botafumeiro is used, it must be cleaned properly and prepared for the next use. So, there is some significant effort and cost that goes into this ceremony. Hence the charges.

Information to request to pay for having the Botafumeriro used is also above.

Hope this helps.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We attended the Pilgrim's Mass at 7:30pm on Wednesday, 12th September and had heard that unless a donation had been made we wouldn't happen. So, when, at the end of the Mass they started untying the botafumeiro ropes we felt immensely privileged and lucky.
We originally had planned to go the next day at noon. So glad we changed our minds (or or guardian angels changed them for us!)
We're enjoying reading your blog about places we have so recently passed through. Only a few more editions to go....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I went to 3 masses in early July hoping to see it. It happened for me on a Friday, and was amazing. I had heard Friday is a day tour buses often show up, so perhaps part of the tour bus price goes to ensuring they can make that happen? Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.