• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The bread on some doors in the early morning - is it a donation for the pilgrims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SophiaZornitsa

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning Camino Portuguese Coastal route in May 23
Dear Pilgrims,

some of you who start their walking as early as 6-7am may have noticed that on some doors there are plastic bags with small bread. Do you think this is for the pilgrims from the villagers and home owners? Or its some bread delivery for the owners and belongs to them only. I have heard both opinions. Also many bottle of water I encounter on the hot days and steep roads with no other water supply. It this for the pilgrims or no?

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

I attach recent pictures from the last week.

Buen Camino!
Sophia

Attachments

• water bottle.jpg
    water bottle.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 4,877
  • more bread.png
    more bread.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
  • breads.png
    breads.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 38
  • bread.jpg
    bread.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 37
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
NO! It's not for pilgrims. Many homes have bread delivered to them daily.

It's not a matter of opinion and please tell those who think that the bread is for pilgrims that it is NOT.

Last edited:
That bread is for the householder. Many Spanish people have bread delivered to their home each day in rural areas. You will often see the bakers' delivery vans and hear them sounding their horns too.

And the water bottles are supposed to deter dogs from peeing in the area. No idea if it works but it is a common practice!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been living in London for years. During all these years, I never bought a bottle of milk: every morning I found a bottle on the pavement: there were put there for any walker who could need them...

And the water bottles are supposed to deter dogs from peeing in the area. No idea if it works but it is a common practice!
The bottles (which may have a little detergent in the water) are intended to be poured on the area where a dog has urinated. As the owner of a dog who must have a bladder the size of a beach-ball I know that every previous dog’s urine has to be investigated and reciprocated.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @SophiaZornitsa and welcome to the forum! The stories that Camino pilgrims tell each other 😵‍💫😅... as you have probably read by now, the bread in the plastic bag hanging at the front door in Spanish villages, the milk bottles standing on the steps in front of houses in English towns, the newspaper lying in the front garden in American suburbia ... different countries, different customs. Is there something similar in your country - judging by your profile information you are from the capital of Bulgaria?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I had been wracking my brains trying to figure out the purpose of these bottles with water in them. My first impression was that it was for pets to drink from. But it doesn't fit since I did not see a bowl. A water with detergent works well if it is poured over urine to cover its odor so no "property issues" would entertain other dogs. Thank you.

IMG20220711140534.jpg

Thank you, people, for all the answers.
I've heard both opinions, that's why I asked.

The bread delivery is obvious, especially if it's in a branded paper bag often stamped with the logo of the bakery. The questions was about the small breads in plastic bags and I see there's only one opinion it the forum, so it's clear now. No need for sarcasm. Thank you.

For the bottle of water it's surprising to learn the reason. I didn't see anyone drinking from them anyway, just being curious.

One more question: do you know what are these things used for? Haven't had a chance to ask anyone. Pictures attached.

Thanks again.
S.

Attachments

• constuction.jpg
    constuction.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 47
  • cobstruction2.jpg
    cobstruction2.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 55
Thank you, people, for all the answers.
I've heard both opinions, that's why I asked.

The bread delivery is obvious, especially if it's in a branded paper bag often stamped with the logo of the bakery. The questions was about the small breads in plastic bags and I see there's only one opinion it the forum, so it's clear now. No need for sarcasm. Thank you.

For the bottle of water it's surprising to learn the reason. I didn't see anyone drinking from them anyway, just being curious.

One more question: do you know what are these things used for? Haven't had a chance to ask anyone. Pictures attached.

Thanks again.
S.

Called an horreo.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am always appalled at this kind of self-centered presumption. If it does not belong to you, don't touch it!
To be fair, @SophiaZornitsa asked here first. It's those who gave her the wrong answer that could be considered self centered, but I'd prefer to call them clueless or culturally ignorant.
I've heard both opinions, that's why I asked

Again, it's not subject to opinion, but rather fact.
One more question: do you know what are these things used for?

As @SabsP said they are called horreos, and are used for storing grain. I met a young woman a few years ago on the Camino and when she was studying abroad in Spain and living with a host family while in university one of the sons in the household convinced her that it was a kind of crypt where Galicians kept their deceased relatives. She told me that she was quite embarrassed when she learned their true purpose.😅

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thanks again.
S.
Horreo was a granary, now the owners put different things inside .They are "protected buildings" in Galicia . On the roof they have a cross and many of them also a pagan symbol of fertility (like those in your photos).

For more info.

Last link has an extensive list of more reading material if interested.

On my first visit to Galicia I wondered about that too. Why have crosses on them? For a short time I wondered if Galician families liked to bury their relatives at the bottom of the garden. :)
The crosses on the roof of these structures puzzled me, too. They looked like little churches or chapels on stilts to me. I had seen small barns on mushroom stilts for storing grain and other crops in the Swiss Alps, so the principle was not new to me but these crosses threw me off track at first.

To be fair, @SophiaZornitsa asked here first. It's those who gave her the wrong answer that could be considered self centered, but I'd prefer to call them clueless or culturally ignorant.

Again, it's not subject to opinion, but rather fact.

As @SabsP said they are called horreos, and are used for storing grain. I met a young woman a few years ago on the Camino and when she was studying abroad in Spain and living with a host family while in university one of the sons in the household convinced her that it was a kind of crypt where Galicians kept their deceased relatives. She told me that she was quite embarrassed when she learned their true purpose.😅
thank you!
and thanks to all for the info on horreos.
so many things to learn and so little time on the way.
great talking to most of you.
you too have a great day!
Sophia

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For more info.

Last link has an extensive list of more reading material if interested.
Dear @SabsP, very interesting links, thank you. S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.