• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The building of Santiago Cathedral

Priscillian

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 1999, Aragones 2000, Desde Le Puy 2002, Portuguese 2009, hoping RDLP 2014
Hola Pergrinos....Hace much tiempo! I haven't abandoned you but I have moved house and have no internet connection just yet. Very frustrating when you have got a(nother) book to write.

My "Novel of the Camino" Pilgrimage to Heresy is about to be published in Spanish (July) under the title Peregrinos de la Herejia. The publisher is Editoriales Boveda, a division of ANAYA. In the meantime, I am trying to research book two of the Camino Chronicles which, without internet, is proving very tricky!

The book will be about the end of the 10th century and the beginning of the construction of the present cathedral and the rise to prominence of Diego Gelmirez and the Cluny influence. Priscillian's secret gospel is also brought up to date. The problem is that I am not an architect and have found very little available in English about the history of the cathedrals themselves. I can and do read Spanish, but technical terms are lengthy. I am also researching Diego Pelaez and Diego Gelmirez and the Traba family.

Can anyone suggest books, material, papers which might help me with my research in these areas?
It would be so appreciated.

P.S. Am walking Camino from Oporto in July as part of the research for the "present day" timeline of the book. It's also my 10th anniversary of the Camino Frances. What a difference that has made to my life in the intervening years. Can't wait to see those yellow arrows once more! Will finally be in Santiago for the 25th!
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tracy - I hope to be in the pilgrims office that week and may very well issue your Compostela. If not - ask for the small balding Scotsman - of course I may be obvious!

Best regards for your pilgrimage.

Have you seen the CSJ guide to the Camino Portuguese? Available for free download:

http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

It has now been user tested and I will be doing an updated version soon - but nothing of major consequence. It works!

Buen Camino

John

The building of Santiago Cathedral: straigt lines and angles

The book will be about the end of the 10th century and the beginning of the construction of the present cathedral (…) Can anyone suggest books, material, papers which might help me with my research in these areas?
Hi Tracy, we're glad you're back on this forum! Perhaps this may be of any help:
Early last year on the Santiagobis forum (message 22820) pilgrim Lydia drew our attention to a virtual model of the cathedral from the time it was built:
http://www.cvrlab.org/projects/real_tim ... stela.html
Dear Geert and all,
Yesterday my husband and I went to a presentation at UCLA by Prof. John Dagenais of a virtual recreation of the original Romanesque Cathedral of Santiago. Through the camera, one can “fly” all around the cathedral from rooftop to underground chapel. It is truly a wonderful experience. We were able to see up close and in great detail the Portico de Gloria from top to bottom.
See the video: http://www.ats.ucla.edu/videos/did/did_dagenais_ref.mov
I have a few little questions myself:
On the video:
The camera travels through a large fixed door in the nave. Did that door have the same function as the iconostase (wall of man seize icons) in Russian orthodox churches?
On the general floor-plan:
Why is the line along the left side of the nave (looking from Obradoiro square) not quite straight? Near the left west tower there is a hardly visible slight bend. Very tentalizing for gatherers and smorgasbordians regarding Le Corbusier's poem about the right angle:
On a
avec un charbon
tracé l’angle droit
la signe
Il est la réponse et le guide
le fait
une réponse
un chain
(…)
Success!
Enjoy!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back