• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The call of the Camino

sempervivum

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances-2013
Portuguese-2018
Norte-2022
VDLP-2023
We all know the "Why?" questions.
Why are you doing it? Why now?
For some of us, the answer is clear. They deliberately decided it, and have no problem answering to these questions.
But some, including myself, do not have a straight answer.
Instead, we have signs.
I want to share with you the sing that has brought itself to light for me. I've never asked for it, I've never looked for it. It just came.
If you want to do the same, feel free.
I'm doing it because I believe that there are so many signs so close to us, but somehow we fail to see or to read them.

Last October, a friend of mine came home from a 3-months scholarship overseas. The first time we've met, after a good time together, she said that she cannot stay any longer because she is about to meet a close friend who just returned from a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. It was the second time that month when I heard about a pilgrimage (the first time was about one done by another friend to the Mount Athos).
Several days after that I found myself thinking about what an experience like this could mean. I knew that we are about to meet again in a week or so and I was impatient to ask for details from a direct source. Two weeks later, we met again.
I quickly asked her about what her friend has told her, how was the pilgrimage... I wanted to know all about it! At first, she look very surprised at me as she couldn't understand what I was saying. Then, doubtfully, she said: "I've never heard of that Saint... or whatever you call it! I have no friends doing something such a pilgrimage! What kind of question is that? Are you OK?"

The world stopped for me that moment. It was like I was in the wrong reality, living someone's else life. I knew for sure what she said that day, two weeks ago. I could remember the exact place we stayed, the exact time, the exact words she said. Everything was the way I remembered!
Still...
She is a very reliable person. I knew and I know that she was right, not me. Those things never happened in this reality.
They happened, though. They keep happening in that reality where we do not have access unless we dare to follow the signs.

S

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
sempervivum said:
"I've never heard of that Saint... or whatever you call it! I have no friends doing something such a pilgrimage! What kind of question is that? Are you OK?"

That's quite a weird experience :) .

I don't really believe in signs (I think it would indicate that there is something bigger than all of us, like God or something similar) but I do love the idea. I do have this thing where 23 has some meaning to me, whenever I see that number I think 'Hey, there it is again!'

I had never heard of the Camino de Santiago. When I watched the movie Into The Wild (my all time favorite) I started to develop the need to travel by foot, to explore, to go on an adventure. When I saw the movie The Way this turned out to be the perfect opportunity for me. I did some research, found out that some people who were close to my family were doing it this year as well, and I saw a couple of documentaries on TV.

That's what brought me to do the Camino. 2 More months of waiting and the adventure starts!

well, everytime I thought about the Camino I came close to crying so...

but I increasingly find that the more I try to answer anything the more I realise I am not really sure of the question...

if only i could figure...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Pieces said:
well, everytime I thought about the Camino I came close to crying so...

but I increasingly find that the more I try to answer anything the more I realise I am not really sure of the question...

if only i could figure...
You're right.
It is often easier to answer than to ask a question.
The progress is made mostly by those asking questions and not being happy about the answer.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back