• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Aragones-the forgotten one

A

Anonymous

The Camino Aragones, from Somport to Puente La Reina, is the second Camino, after the Primitivo, that was transited by pilgrims in olden times.
For a long time it was the most frequented Camino, until, because of political/economic strife, the Camino Frances replaced it as the most popular Camino, being so to this day.

It is right smack in the Pyrenees, not terribly hard to walk, with a beautiful and peaceful scenery.

It's little transited most of the time.

"El aragones" has a great infrastructure of albergues, as well as a deep-rooted, Camino related, history, architecture, and art.

Some of the places you'd hit in El Aragones would be Jaca, with its unique cathedral, Sanguesa, and Eunate, this last one being one of all the Caminos' jewels, with a most important connection to the Templar Knights.

In seven days of walking it you'd connect with the Camino Frances at Puente la Reina, and on to Santiago then.

I've walked it three times and would not hesitate to do it three more!

I highly recommend it.

Suggestion: Could it be included in this cyber albergue Camino List?

Buen Camino,

xm

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Javier, saludos de los US. No entiendo a que video te refieres. Abrazos de xm

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Aragones

Javier,
El video se ve muy bien, me encantan las fotos y sobre todo, la musica de Maldonado!

The video looks fine, I love your photographs and the "Banda Almada" soundtrack by Maldonado.

Buen camino,

Lillian desde San Juan, PR

maldonado video

Javier, por el comentario de Lillian entendi tu pregunta sobre el video, esta buenisimo. Enhonrabuena. Tambien felicite a Maldonado por su cancion, ambos participamos en un cyber foro de habla hispana.

Ah, Lillian, thanks, now I understand what Javier is refering to. Yes, the video is great, so is the song. Matter of fact I told Maldondado myself in a Spanish language cyber list we're both in.

Abrazos,

xm

Eunate

copiadep1010007cd1.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Camino Aragonés

The Camino Aragonés

by into-thin-air - last update: Oct 6, 2006

The Route

Send Photo to a Friend

Approaching Bedous on at the end of the 1st day

Again I wasn't sure where to put this page, When I put Aragones into the search engine it Only came up with Argentina and when I put in The Pyrenees it only came up with this choice so here is where I have decided to put it !!
The following pages and tips are All about "The Camino Aragonés" which is one of the routes that make up part of the network of ancient foot-paths known as "The Camino de Santiago" or "The Way of saint James" to name just a few, All of them end up in Santiago de Compostela and many start off in all the different countries of Europe. The Camino Aragonés starts in Oleron Ste Marie in France, crosses the Pyrenees by way of The Col de Somport and eventualy joins "The Camino Frances" In Puente la Reina in Spain, The route is about 150 miles and Really is an Excellent "Way" that I would recommend to anyone. it took me 9 days to walk and that included an extra day as I chose to finish in Pamplona, So that worked out at an average of 18 miles per day. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to do it much quicker as to miss the opportunity to view the scenery and visit the ancient towns and villages en-route would be a Great Shame.
So, If you are looking for a nice walk that you can easily do in a couple of weeks and then also have time it relax a little at the end then look no further than "The Camino Aragonés"
Send Photo to a Friend

Another Pro-Tector Pro-Tected journey, With Stevie
Planning

From England this is a Doddle, I Popped my old Rucksack in it's Rucksack Pro-Tector Then I chose to take a connecting flight with easyjet from Newcastle (The nearest airport to whre I live) to Stanstead where I picked up the Ryan Air flight to Pau, from there you catch the Airport Bus into Pau, it drops you off at the railway station and you have time for a beer before catching the train to Oleron Ste Marie. and here the next day you start the walk.
I chose to walk an extra day and finished my Camino in Pamplona, from here I caught a bus to Vitoria, about an hour and a quarter journey time.Vitori is yet another Beautiful old city and well worth more than the day that I had available to explore it. Then there is another Airport Bus out to the Airport and Ryan Air has a daily flight back to Stanstead. What could be simpler ??
The "Way"

I will detail the day by day route under "Sports Travel" to give you an idea of how I chose to break the route down into daily sections, Our maximum day was 20 miles with a minimum of around 12 miles, This was mainly due to available accommodation en-route but there are quite a few options If you would like to take a little longer, It might be possible to shave a day of our timings but I wouldn't personally recommend it as it would be a shame if you walked this camino and all you saw was your feet :))
I have written up other Camino's that I have walked on the following pages
Via de la Plata -- Seville
Camino Ingles -- Galicia
Camino Frances part 1 -- Spain
Camino Frances part 2 -- Santiago de Compostela.
If you are interested then it is worth while comparing the routes.
Thank you for taking the time to visit this page, it will take me a little while to get it completed so IF you have any questions then please feel free to email me with any questions that you might have.
Best Wishes
Rob Steele Send Photo to a Friend

Perigrino crossing the ridge outside Pamplona

> Add to your Custom Travel Guide [What's This?]

Pros: "An Excellent Route, Varying terrain, Awesome Views and Great places to stay."
Cons: "Very Few, Lack of drinking water fountains at the end of our 2nd day on the way up The Col de Somport."
In A Nutshell: "A Truly Excellent walk"

into-thin-air's Midi-Pyrénées Travel Tips
Overview Things to Do

Restaurants Hotels & Accommodations
Tips: 9 - Photos: 11

Nightlife Off The Beaten Path

Tourist Traps Warnings Or Dangers

Transportation Local Customs

Packing Lists Shopping

Sports Travel
Tips: 9 - Photos: 9 General Tips

I have to say I agree with xm. I love Aragon it being my adopted homeland (I have a Spanish husband who was born near Jaca and know the area well. I have however only walked from Arrés to Artieda. This year I hope to leave Somport end of April and wonder will there be many other pilgrims on this route. I would so love to hear from anybody going this way,maybe even some other Irish people though I need to be talking lots of Spanish to keep it up.

Saludos,

Yes indeed the "forgotten one" (camino Aragones) is a stunningly beautiful way - a sort of 'feeder' way into the camino Frances, the route goes from Somport (a pass in the Pyrenees on the French/Spanish border) to Puenta de la Reina - some people say it can be done in 6 or 7 days - I did it late summer/early autumn last year in 9 days (10 including the detour from Sta Cilia de Jaca to San Juan de la Pena) It was delightful - for people who value the solitude and a little company along the way from time to time, it's a 'must-do' - with such lovely villages like Sta Cilia, Sta Cruz de la Seros and Ruesta, not to mention the cathedral in Jaca.

I intend to start my next camino somewhere in France along the Arles route and make sure I get to Somport and at least do the section from there to Jaca or Sta Cilia de Jaca again!

buen camino

Peter

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Peter,
Eleanor again. You say you will do this Aragones part again from Arles. I wonder when? I will fly into Pau . I've done that before and travelled by car up and over to Jaca . A lovely route too but is a lot of it on the road? We passed some pilgrims trudging up to Somport. A steep climb but lots of trees to shade you. It is quite different from the Spanish side. Beech trees, as well as conifers. Completely different climate. Small pastures on steep slopes remind me of Switzerland. The climb dosn't start till well after Oloron-Sainta Maria.

Buen Camino.

The Camino Aragones-forgotten no'more!

I hadn't seen this page since I posted the initial message a few months ago.

Am ecstatic at the fellow-pilgrims that have experienced the Camino Aragones and, like myself, love it.

Thank you so much for your beautiful postings!

This summer I'm planning on walking it again for the fourth time.

But, just to vary it a little (really a lot!), I won't start at Somport, but rather, 2-3 days into France, from Lescar. I hear the road from Lescar to Somport is tranquil, beautiful, and historic.

The plan is to take a train from Madrid to Hendaya, another to Pau, staying there overnight, and then on by train for another overnight stay at lescar, from where am planning the walk to Puente La Reina via Somport et al.

I understand that Pau, Lescar, and Oloron-St Marie, are Camino jewels.

If anyone has done the Lescar-Somport route, I'd appreciate your thouhgts.

Buen Camino,

XM

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
JAVIER

Javier, he visto tus trabajos dedicados al Camino aqui y en youtube. Quiero felicitarte. Por medio de tu arte estas haciendo muchisimo para difundir las bellezas de los Caminos. Inspiras, motivas, y traes bellos bellos recuerdos. Sigue, sigue, no pares!

De tu number one fan,

XM

Javier, I've seen your Camino-related art work here and in youtube and I want to congratulate you. Your are doing a magnificent job in portraying the Caminos with your art. You inspire, motivate, and bring to mind beautiful memories. Keep it up, don't stop don't stop!

Your number one fan,

XM

Camino Aragonese.

Great pictures Javier. They make me wish to be back there again.
To Janeh and xm:- Things will have changed a lot since we walked the route from Arles. The Camino Aragones is the continuation of that route in Spain. In September 1999 we had to walk up the road to Somport because the footpath was unsafe then. It should be good now. The whole route is wonderful and I would encourage anyone to start in Arles if they can find the time. Try the C.S.J. guide written by Maurice and Marigold Fox.
Buen camino to you all and may St. James guide your steps.

Marion

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back