• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Calm

Phoenix

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Hello pilgrims! I’ve thought about writing this post more than once since returning from the Camino (Frances) last November, but life gets busy and other things take precedence after returning to daily life. It’s a little lengthy, but my hope is that it will help someone in a tangible way.

I walked the Camino last year (Sept/Oct 2016) with my adult son, just after he completed five years of military service (USMC); for him, to serve as a transition from military to civilian life, and for me, to celebrate my 50th b-day. I had planned and prepared almost every day for a year, yet he still smoked me on the trail most days. We both walked at our own pace, met up for lunch and breaks during the day, and spent our evenings together with pilgrims we met along the way. From a parent-child POV, it was one of the most priceless experiences we’ve ever shared. Over the course of five weeks, me met, walked with, and shared experiences with each other and with people from nearly two dozen countries. I know my world grew much bigger as a result of the experience, as did his.

There are a few things I’d like to share in the hope that it will encourage those who may be overwhelmed by the vast amount of info re: the Camino, those who doubt their ability to take on/complete the physical challenge, or those who wonder if they can leave their normal, daily lives behind for an extended period of time. Although not an all inclusive list, the things I share are the highlights based not only on my experience, but also on what I perceived from observing and sharing with others along The Way.

• The Camino is simple; there is no need to overcomplicate it. You rise, you walk, you eat and drink, you arrive at your destination and find your chosen accommodations, you bathe, do needed medical triage/treatment, clean clothes, eat, enjoy the evenings (alone and/or with other pilgrims), get some sleep, and do it all over again the next day. There is a rhythm to it. Sometimes, it is boring—and that’s okay. Most will have made some strategic plans before arriving in SJPdP (or other chosen starting location); however, on most days, the tactical situation on the ground will often dictate a change of plans. And, you know what? You’ll be fine with it. You’ll become empowered by your ability to roll with changes and accept it as part of the norm. Your situational awareness will become sharper as you settle in and live life in the moment.
  • It’s easier to connect with people on the Camino. In our daily lives (at least in my experience in the U.S.), many of our interactions with others are wide but shallow in most instances. Everyone’s lives seem to be moving in a million different directions. Interactions on the Camino are narrower, but deeper. There is something almost magical about being part a tribe of people all moving in the same direction toward a common destination for similar reasons. Since that bond is established by virtue of just being on the Camino together, it’s much easier to get past the superficial and share our humanity with each other. This has staying power in our lives after the Camino.
  • Walking the Camino enhances the mind-brain-body connection. In my particular case, this was an important discovery. Long story short, I have lived with Young Onset Parkinson’s disease for 14+ years. For the first several years, it was the monster that dominated my everyday (both physical and cognitive decline). Then, during the height of a family crisis, I discovered that I do have power the beat back the monster. Living life with a more holistic approach (exercise, nutrition, attitude, and spiritual devotion in addition to proper medical treatment) has made all the difference. I practice what I call "purposeful denial.” I refuse to let PD have any power over me, and will not use it as an excuse to interfere with living my life fully. If I want to go do something, I train specifically for it and do my best to get my brain and body on the same page. Even though I have undertaken varied physical endurance challenges over the past six years, while on the Camino I was more cognitively aware than I have been in years. My brain felt more alive than I’ve experienced since my early 30s. For me, there was a definite correlation between the amount of exercise and my brain’s ability to function at a higher level. Since it’s not really feasible to walk 13-20 miles every day for the rest of my life, it has become my quest to replicate the cognitive effects through other physical activities. So far, my quest has been successful.
  • Don’t let your challenge(s) keep you from a possibly life-changing Camino experience. Whether it’s a chronic health problem, weight, age, time, or whatever you believe hinders you from taking on the challenge—your Camino begins the moment you take action to overcome the challenge. Move in the direction you want to go and you will get there.
  • The Camino Calm. This phenomena I’ve experienced mostly since returning home. It is something new that was born on the Camino and exists/grows in my daily life. It’s hard to articulate, but I surmise that it comes from a sense of being more connected with humanity, being able to see situations more clearly & respond accordingly, knowing what I am capable of, and, perhaps, a dose of the undefinable “Camino magic.” In short, I am changed by having walked The Way. Like many others, I hope to return to the Camino someday for a “booster."
Buen Camino!

P.S., I am going back through the hundreds of photos that I took along the Camino. If interested, I am posting the best of them on Instagram. @10milerock

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for your post - it is nice to read a father's perspective on the Camino. I walked the last fortnight of the Frances with my father around a year before he passed away, and while those memories are special for me its great to see the effect they have on a parent too. Cherish those memories, as although I walked a different style of camino (I'd wait on the uphills and my dad would wait for me on the downhills) it is an amazing experience that brings us together as people.

Nice post. The 'camino calm' is one of its greatest legacies, at least for me.

Having lived abroad for a number of years, I returned home after my Camino and was faced with the stark reality that I had no job, house, car or significant other to return to. And I was perfectly fine with all of that. Because if there was one thing I learned on the Camino is that you don't need a lot in life to be happy. Somewhere along the way, I became more rounded and contented as a person. And a lot of that goes back to your first point, the simplicity of the Camino and having to adjust to its slower pace of life.

I'm fully settled back to home life now. New job, home and all the responsibilities that daily-life entails. I sincerely hope that I never return to the person I was pre-Camino. I don't think I will. Every now and then, a little Camino memory will pop into my head and put a smile on my face and that 'calm-ness' will return.

And like yourself, we can always return one day in the future for that 'booster'.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very well written and very true!

I have found that for me, it takes shorter and shorter time to pop back into the Camino mindset. Which is good, because I can't walk in the summer and it's really hard to get as much as two weeks off at other times.

But now, I just put my shoes and backpack on, and my gaze is on the horizon while my steps are longer and smoother.

I really like the idea of having a Camino booster. I think that's what we're doing - flying to Madrid today...

Truly a heartfelt and inspiring post. Thank you for your generosity in sharing it here - and thank you to your son for his service. (I'm in Canada but my oldest grandson in Colorado served with the USAF in Iraq). Has your son also written of his experience?
I cannot imagine a more valuable gift a father could give his (veteran) son.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you all for the kind responses.

@movinmaggie - No, my son is now busy working for 1-2 yrs to have a substantial savings before starting college.

@HeidiL - Buen Camino!

@Purple Backpack - I hope the words I shared have a positive impact/influence for your friend with YOPD, and hope you enjoy reading the book. I look forward to your feedback should you wish to share it.

Hello pilgrims! I’ve thought about writing this post more than once since returning from the Camino (Frances) last November, but life gets busy and other things take precedence after returning to daily life. It’s a little lengthy, but my hope is that it will help someone in a tangible way.

I walked the Camino last year (Sept/Oct 2016) with my adult son, just after he completed five years of military service (USMC); for him, to serve as a transition from military to civilian life, and for me, to celebrate my 50th b-day. I had planned and prepared almost every day for a year, yet he still smoked me on the trail most days. We both walked at our own pace, met up for lunch and breaks during the day, and spent our evenings together with pilgrims we met along the way. From a parent-child POV, it was one of the most priceless experiences we’ve ever shared. Over the course of five weeks, me met, walked with, and shared experiences with each other and with people from nearly two dozen countries. I know my world grew much bigger as a result of the experience, as did his.

There are a few things I’d like to share in the hope that it will encourage those who may be overwhelmed by the vast amount of info re: the Camino, those who doubt their ability to take on/complete the physical challenge, or those who wonder if they can leave their normal, daily lives behind for an extended period of time. Although not an all inclusive list, the things I share are the highlights based not only on my experience, but also on what I perceived from observing and sharing with others along The Way.

• The Camino is simple; there is no need to overcomplicate it. You rise, you walk, you eat and drink, you arrive at your destination and find your chosen accommodations, you bathe, do needed medical triage/treatment, clean clothes, eat, enjoy the evenings (alone and/or with other pilgrims), get some sleep, and do it all over again the next day. There is a rhythm to it. Sometimes, it is boring—and that’s okay. Most will have made some strategic plans before arriving in SJPdP (or other chosen starting location); however, on most days, the tactical situation on the ground will often dictate a change of plans. And, you know what? You’ll be fine with it. You’ll become empowered by your ability to roll with changes and accept it as part of the norm. Your situational awareness will become sharper as you settle in and live life in the moment.
  • It’s easier to connect with people on the Camino. In our daily lives (at least in my experience in the U.S.), many of our interactions with others are wide but shallow in most instances. Everyone’s lives seem to be moving in a million different directions. Interactions on the Camino are narrower, but deeper. There is something almost magical about being part a tribe of people all moving in the same direction toward a common destination for similar reasons. Since that bond is established by virtue of just being on the Camino together, it’s much easier to get past the superficial and share our humanity with each other. This has staying power in our lives after the Camino.
  • Walking the Camino enhances the mind-body connection. In my particular case, this was an important discovery. Long story short, I have lived with Young Onset Parkinson’s disease for 14+ years. For the first several years, it was the monster that dominated my everyday (both physical and cognitive decline). Then, during the height of a family crisis, I discovered that I do have power the beat back the monster. Living life with a more holistic approach (exercise, nutrition, attitude, and spiritual devotion in addition to proper medical treatment) has made all the difference. I practice what I call "purposeful denial.” I refuse to let PD have any power over me, and will not use it as an excuse to interfere with living my life fully. If I want to go do something, I train specifically for it and do my best to get my brain and body on the same page. Even though I have undertaken varied physical endurance challenges over the past six years, while on the Camino I was more cognitively aware than I have been in years. My brain felt more alive than I’ve experienced since my early 30s. For me, there was a definite correlation between the amount of exercise and my brain’s ability to function at a higher level. Since it’s not really feasible to walk 13-20 miles every day for the rest of my life, it has become my quest to replicate the cognitive effects through other physical activities. So far, my quest has been successful.
  • Don’t let your challenge(s) keep you from a possibly life-changing Camino experience. Whether it’s a chronic health problem, weight, age, time, or whatever you believe hinders you from taking on the challenge—your Camino begins the moment you take action to overcome the challenge. Move in the direction you want to go and you will get there.
  • The Camino Calm. This phenomena I’ve experienced mostly since returning home. It is something new that was born on the Camino and exists/grows in my daily life. It’s hard to articulate, but I surmise that it comes from a sense of being more connected with humanity, being able to see situations more clearly & respond accordingly, knowing what I am capable of, and, perhaps, a dose of the undefinable “Camino magic.” In short, I am changed by having walked The Way. Like many others, I hope to return to the Camino someday for a “booster."
Buen Camino!

P.S., I am going back through the hundreds of photos that I took along the Camino. If interested, I am posting the best of them on Instagram. @10milerock

Simply put: Well-said!

Nice words, I walked the Frances at the same time setting off St Jean 15 September. It was everything I hoped and more. Yep hard physically, emotionally and psychologically. Friends I made on my Camino are so much more than just friends and they vary so much in age and nationality. Only people who have done the Camino will understand the strengths of these Bonds.
It's the simplicity of the day that I miss so much and yes I to will to will be looking soon for a Camino 'Boost'.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Only people who have done the Camino will understand the strengths of these Bonds.

I would modify this by saying "Only people who have endured similar experiences will understand the strength of these bonds."

Though some might consider this sacrilege, there are other journeys/tasks/missions that result in similar bonding. Just consider the experiential writings of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

-- The Voice of Experience

A good point well made Glenn, it's the unique alliances of age, nationality and cultures that I saw and shared that I have not personally encountered in my Life's Travel thus far other than on the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A good point well made Glenn, it's the unique alliances of age, nationality and cultures ....

Enough said: you understand! So glad to make your acquaintance!

Now, to be sure, you should understand that I live in the "good-ol' US of A" where most people do NOT understand or accept either the truth, or the reality, of national/cultural differences. And Heaven Forbid that anyone, or any country, might possibly have a better idea, or a better way.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a slow-talking Alabama country-boy....

Last edited:
Excellent post. Couldn't help but notice that "connect" is the operative word in it, on many levels. I concur.

I have been struggling for almost four years now to come to terms with my MS diagnosis. At 52 years of age, I was not prepared for all that this disease has to offer. I have knowingly stayed away from joining support groups and MS websites that might mentally take me out when I've worked so hard to practice "purposeful denial" as you so aptly call it. A stressful job and inattention to my overall health was the tipping point. Thankfully, with a phenomenal support system, family and friends, a focus on nutrition, yoga training, meditation and a top notch friend and neurologist, I am symptom free and planning for a September 2018 Camino. My sights are now set on SJPP to Santiago.
Thanks you for sharing your story and putting into words the struggle I have been feeling and sharing your path to continued wellness. I am Inspired and excited for the future!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Krista - I have worked with people who have had MS and they have done really well in slowing the progression or halting it completely by doing regular exercise, maintaining a healthy diet and having a good positive outlook on life.
Keep going with what you are doing, you are on the right path.
Buen Camino to you - I hope it it wonderful for you.

I have been struggling for almost four years now to come to terms with my MS diagnosis. At 52 years of age, I was not prepared for all that this disease has to offer. I have knowingly stayed away from joining support groups and MS websites that might mentally take me out when I've worked so hard to practice "purposeful denial" as you so aptly call it. A stressful job and inattention to my overall health was the tipping point. Thankfully, with a phenomenal support system, family and friends, a focus on nutrition, yoga training, meditation and a top notch friend and neurologist, I am symptom free and planning for a September 2018 Camino. My sights are now set on SJPP to Santiago.
Thanks you for sharing your story and putting into words the struggle I have been feeling and sharing your path to continued wellness. I am Inspired and excited for the future!
Krista, I am happy for you that you have found your way through the struggle, and hope your Camino is everything you hope for.

Buen Camino!

• Walking the Camino enhances the mind-brain-body connection. In my particular case, this was an important discovery. Long story short, I have lived with Young Onset Parkinson’s disease for 14+ years. For the first several years, it was the monster that dominated my everyday (both physical and cognitive decline). Then, during the height of a family crisis, I discovered that I do have power the beat back the monster. Living life with a more holistic approach (exercise, nutrition, attitude, and spiritual devotion in addition to proper medical treatment) has made all the difference. I practice what I call "purposeful denial.” I refuse to let PD have any power over me, and will not use it as an excuse to interfere with living my life fully. If I want to go do something, I train specifically for it and do my best to get my brain and body on the same page. Even though I have undertaken varied physical endurance challenges over the past six years, while on the Camino I was more cognitively aware than I have been in years. My brain felt more alive than I’ve experienced since my early 30s. For me, there was a definite correlation between the amount of exercise and my brain’s ability to function at a higher level. Since it’s not really feasible to walk 13-20 miles every day for the rest of my life, it has become my quest to replicate the cognitive effects through other physical activities. So far, my quest has been successful.
Buen Camino!

Thank you for the above post. May I share some of your insights with my Australian Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook Group please.....Kind Regards.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back