• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino changes you....

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
I have read on numerous posts and blogs that the Camino changes you. I have a fairly good idea on how it might change a person - but that's just it - they are only ideas because I have yet to experience my own Camino (will do so in May 2016) but I was wondering from those of you who have done this trek - how in fact did the Camino change you? :) Happy New Year everyone!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think it will be helpful for you if we answer that question as the change the Camino causes in every single person is something very personal and unique. Be patient and listen and live with an open mind and YOUR personal change will happen to YOU. Buen Camino, SY

I have read on numerous posts and blogs that the Camino changes you. I have a fairly good idea on how it might change a person - but that's just it - they are only ideas because I have yet to experience my own Camino (will do so in May 2016) but I was wondering from those of you who have done this trek - how in fact did the Camino change you? :) Happy New Year everyone!
It WILL change you - in ways you do not know yet. But rest assured: It will most likely be in a good way. You have to walk first, and understand and appreciate what you are experiencing. If you are a "normal"human being you will be touched and educated. Many people arrive in SdC with a completely different perspective than when they started. All for the good of it. I suspect you are one of those. Other than that, I will not lecture you: you lecture yourself. (As SYates, a wise woman, says).

Myself, I will start a new Camino end of April/beginning of May from Pamplona (I think; not sure: It may be the Sureste, Via de la Plata, or whatever): Anyway; just to remind me once more of the gifts the Camino has given me.

Buen Camino! (Before, on and after the Walk).

Edit: Happy new and a changed year in your life! ;)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will learn that happiness and wealth fits perfectly in a compact sized backpack.

I don't think it will be helpful for you if we answer that question as the change the Camino causes in every single person is something very personal and unique. Be patient and listen and live with an open mind and YOUR personal change will happen to YOU. Buen Camino, SY

A wise response I think... ;) In my limited experience, I would observe that most people do change as a result of their first Camino. I certainly did.

Was it quite the change that I expected? No.
Was it a positive change? Yes.
Was the emotional journey along the Camino what I expected? NO!
But was it a life changing, grounding, rewarding experience. 1,000% Yes :)

And yours probably will be too.........in your way :)

Buen Camino!

I became physically stronger. I also noticed that I developed a keen sense for what was happening in the weather, and also what was happening around me (people, situations).

I became less judgmental by the day. I was treated wonderfully by many people, and I began to get more lenient in my assessments of others. I became more generous with my time.

On return, I have noticed a better attitude: if something irritates me, I can walk away quite a bit easier than before. I love alone time, and always have. I love it now more than ever.

Just my changes. Your mileage may vary! And Happy New Year, lovely @Angie94

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Similar effect to meditation, and yoga to a lesser extent. You notice the little joys in life, you learn to just put a foot in front of the other rather than planning 15 steps ahead, you learn to live simply, out of the rat race, grateful for the sun, the wind, shade. Your body synchs up with nature again, up with the sun, asleep when tired, not when Law & Order ends. You see a side of people we seldom see in the rat race of urban daily life: more generous, open and curious people happy to engage, and collaborate with strangers. (When you think that in North America we don't greet people when walking into an elevator or a doctor's waiting room... ) But that last thing quickly goes away when not surrounded by similarly minded people.

But your "pre Camino" person is never far away, espcially when a particular person in the albergue is loud and perhaps obnoxious: bad habits are difficult to get rid of :rolleyes:.

kg? or lbs?
Losing weight is one of the reasons I'll be walking the Camino. I gained a lot the past 2 years or so.
I lose 10 pounds in 15 days of walking, and then another 10 after returning home because my metabolism is so revved up. Met a 6 foot tall, resonably fit man who lost 40 pounds over a whole Frances. Just don't try to limit your food intake, you need the energy not to feel weak, lose balance, slow down your reflexes. Just limit yourself to a glass or two of wine a day, not 2 bottles like so many do, amd the weight will come off. My Jawbone tells me I walk 30 000 steps a day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The answer will be personal to you and your camino. It depends greatly on how you interact with your Camino and what you are willing to do. I have known some that went on Camino, had a terrible time and quit....before they ever started. I have seen others go on Camino and did not learn to listen to their body and had to quit due to physical problems well before they were ready.

A pilgrimage of this nature is both physical (absolutely for all) and spiritual (to the degree you seek it and are open to it). Some do the Camino not as a pilgrimage, but as a great vacation to test their endurance and stamina. Others go on Camino for purely spiritual reasons....and then there is everyone in between.

The Camino is a great teacher and will provide what you need. It is more a question of openness rather than achievement by objective. You will become you on a more fundamental level.

The more physically fit you are the easier it is to enjoy everything else on the Camino IF you listen to your body. Be aware that very fit people have left the Camino because they pushed themselves too hard and had to quit.

Enjoy a time to be you. It is your Camino and there are not right ways or wrong ways - it is your Camino and no one else's.

Hi Angie, it's a personal thing as already stated but you will find out if it change you :);)
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Your mileage may vary, but...
I now understand my physical limits a little deeper. And how they can be pushed even further.
I now understand Spanish some better.
I now understand meeting a special person on a random holiday and welcoming them into my life (repeatedly).
I now understand how to reach out to friends on this forum and enrich an upcoming adventure.
I now understand so much more the love of family (having walked with dear sweet departed mom and my also dear sweet sis.)
I now understand the amazing value of washing machines and dryers.
I now understand how to tackle a top bunk.
I now understand that my next trip will teach me new understandings.

As has been said before, every walk will be your own.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
kg? or lbs?
Losing weight is one of the reasons I'll be walking the Camino. I gained a lot the past 2 years or so.

Losing weight really isnt the hard part. This is all about excercise and watchting what you eat (and drink). Not gaining it all back is the tricky part. This is all about changing habits and lifestyle.

So hopefully for you the camino will bring along this change for you :)

Echoing what has already been said, your experience will definitely vary based off your own experience. I met and walked with a few individuals who came to be my close Camino Family and we each came out very much changed, but all in different ways.

The best advise I can offer is to let go of as much as you can on Camino. Listen to your heart and body and just let the Camino guide you along - Don't make an agenda for yourself, just go with it.

What I got out of it is hard to answer.
I found myself... I was put to many challenges and thru them I found out what I am truly capable of. I came out knowing I can handle more then I gave myself credit for.
I now have friends across the globe, not acquaintances, but real true friends who saw me not only at my best, but at my worst and helped me become a better person.
I let go of and left behind 15.5kb (34 US Pounds) and returned to a whole new wardrobe.
I discovered what truly mattered to me in my life, and that was family and friends - Funny, money only came in as a necessity, not as a desire.
I came back having lived fully on my journey.
I came back with an insatiable appetite for more!
Now that I am back, I am MUCH easier going, I smile more and worry less. I tell those I love that I love them. I try to spread the kindness and generosity back home that was given to me on Camino.

In short, you will change! How and to what degree largely depends on how much you open up and just let the Camino in.

Kevin.

The Camino changed the way I value relationships. I really thought the Camino would be a contemplative prayer walk for me, but the central focus turned out to be community. I mentioned in another post that I sensed a lot of divine appointments on the Camino - encounters with people who I was destined to meet. During these encounters there was a cross-pollination of our lives that transformed us both into something better. When I got home, these divine encounters with others continued - on the local trails I hiked, the paddling trips, and even in grocery stores. I think the Camino just opened my eyes to them in a greater way. But, the Camino is different for everyone, and others will say their time alone was the greatest experience. One thing is for sure, we all need to let go of our own expectations on the Camino and let God do in our lives what He desires.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For me it just reinforced what I already knew. We spend way too much of our lives living for tomorrow and not for today. That's why my wife and I are planning to change our lives and are working out the details so in a few years we can spend a whole year with backpacks walking the world.

kg? or lbs?
The last Camino I walked 37 day's and I lost 3,5kg.
Wish you all the best for the new year and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ditto and Amen to everything written above by my friends and colleagues. I would like to add a gentle admonition.

Like looking for love...don't try too hard. It will find you...

The point is that, you focus on your daily needs, each day, and just put one foot in front of the other. Just get up, show up, and pay attention to your surroundings and the people in it. It really is very simple. That is what it takes to finish a Camino. Just follow the yellow arrows and other trail markings, and don't forget to stop when you get to the Cathedral at Santiago! ;)

Experience each day as it comes, with the ups and downs that accompany the day. Everyone gets rained on. It is only water. The human body is amazingly drip-dry. Remember that wet and warm is good, while wet and cold is always bad...o_O

Follow the Golden Rule. Cherish your fellow pilgrims, and they will respect and cherish you. Do for them what you would have done for you. It all comes together after the first few days...you will see what we all mean. It is difficult to put into words...:confused:

If you are fortunate, you will establish a "Camino Family" that will last at least for the duration of your Camino. Most people make friends for life, from all over the world, from these days spent doing the same thing.:)

Do not worry about if, where, and who you will meet. Just let it happen...

I hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Angie, You ask such wonderful, open-ended questions. S Yates gave you the best answer. It is yours and yours alone.
But, I can't help give my...perspective:

On my return from Spain and walking the Camino de Santiago, my mother, a well-read, sage woman in her late 70s, asked me if I had felt any of the healing or positive energy purportedly found when walking the Camino. Without consideration I answered that, "Yes, I had."

Maybe I found what I was looking for, or maybe there is something magical, mystical, something to what we read in the experiences of others who have walked the Camino before us. What I was looking for was the calm one experiences during meditation. My logic was that I would have time to train my meditative muscle, allowing me to meditate better when I returned home. Meditating had been an elusive goal of mine for many years. On an intellectual plane I firmly believe in the value of meditation, in its ability to put us in touch with the universal substance some call God. I believe that in that connectedness with God we make our best decisions, avoid falling into the trap of negativism and become that better person I seek.

Motivating my desire to train for better meditative practices was my lack of results. I had tried and tried to meditate. I’ve read books and listened to calming music, all in an attempt. But it was always this mash of random flotsam running through my overactive mind.

This pre-Camino logic proved to be sound on the surface, but was completely askew of the magic that is the Camino. I put into practice..methods to train my meditative muscle. I would concentrate on my breath, concentrate on my footfalls as I walked. In the beginning I struggled as usual to stay with this effort, but as the days and weeks went on, I did improve. Was that calm that enveloped me from this exercise, this practice, or from the Camino itself? We could philosophize about that question for days, but my opinion is that there is something mystical out there. Maybe it's the Camino, maybe it's our effort, our focus, or the combined energy-field left by those who have passed before us, and maybe it's as simple as being open to what may come.

I truly believe that being open to what may flow through—at any given moment—is quite likely the most important attribute we can cultivate in this life.

Buen Camino

kg? or lbs?
Hope you get your wish. My husband gained weight this year as he ate his way across Spain bless him!! Those tortilla Espanola and cafe con leche for breakfast and at every stop and believe me, we stopped a lot!!! I do lose weight as I never seem to feel hungry when walking . But,but but, it goes up again when we return home. Hopefully it will be a good start for you. If you have gained weight, then keep your pack as light as possible as too much combined weight will play havoc on the knees and on the feet. Good luck and best wishes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Camino is a very personal journey and it will change everyone who walks it in different ways.

Open your heart to the experience and let the world in.
Sounds like sage advice for life.

Think finger prints. No two sets are alike, even twins have different finger prints. The same applies to the camino. Your camino will be unique to you and no one else. What you get out of it or take home with you will not be the same as others. Go, enjoy your camino. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you go with a question...you will return with an answer...about the third week you have to answer the question, "What in the Hell am I doing out here?"...by then you will be so far into your head that you will get an answer...there is something in the suffering done during the Camino that brings you back to the basics in life that really the only things that matter are relationships and how to forgive yourself for making mistakes.

it is physically challenging, but as it goes along a subtle systematic letting go happens. i littered the trail with my baggage, and lost my "rear view" along the way...but you keep your heart open and your feet moving...

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back