• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino del Norte

mirandac

Time of past OR future Camino
29th May 2016
1st Aug 2016
15th August 2017
I'm about to walk a stretch of del Norte from Irun to just past Bilbao. I've done two parts of the Frances already. Does anyone have any advice for me?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
IF you are not too fit, aim to get to Passajes San Juan early, in time to get one of the very few beds in the albergue. Instead of walking all the way to San Sebastián. Passajes is really very lovely, but has little in the way of accommodation. We took the "alpista" route from Irun, and were very glad we did (it is spectacular) but it meant we were really wacked by the time we got to Passajes. We slept in a tent outside the albergue.

In my opinion you will be seeing some of the best scenery on the Norte. Can I assume that you are stopping in Portugalete? If so easy metro ride back to Bilbao and bus to the airport (if that is your plan). Great airport to go in and out of as it is so small.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the advice - all useful
Can't remember how to create a new topic thread but I would like to pass on that it was difficult to get hold of a credential in this route. I finally got one at San Sebastián cathederal as none of the albergues or tourist offices had them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always order mine from Ivar who runs this forum. He is very efficient at posting them, so I have it before I leave home. They come free if you buy a guide! Here is the link. I also usually order a plastic cover - which is the perfect size to fit my normal passport as well as the pilgrim passport.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.