• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Devil

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Someone has to tell the new and wanna-be pilgrims about the Camino Devil, so it might as well be me.

The Camino Devil has been around for over 1200 years. He can come in many different shapes and forms. You will see him carved in stone on the outside of most churches or depicted in stained glass windows. He preys on tired, bored, dispirited pilgrims on the way to Santiago.

Sometimes he (I think its a he) will sit on your shoulder when you are really tired and feel that you can't walk another step. That is when he starts to whispers in your ear, "Why are you doing this to yourself? What are you trying to prove? You don't have to walk every inch of the way. Give up! Give up!"

Or, he might be in the dormitory at night when you are lying exhausted in your bed. He conducts his choir of sonorous sounds. "Louder, louder!" he hisses at the pilgrims sleeping on ther backs.

Sometimes he follows you on the road (he is especially active on the meseta) where he goads you with words like, "This is boring..boooooring!! Get a bus, many people do. Why slog along this flat, boring path. Give up, give up!"

He gets quite frantic around Calzadilla - which is about the half-way mark - and becomes strident. "You've now walked almost 400km - why do it all over again? Why? Are you crazy? Crazy, crazy, loco peregrino!! Its like starting all over again - so you really want to do that all over again?! STOP! Get the bus! Better still, go home. go home!"

After Ledigos and Leon he starts to lose hope. He doesn't like being around Thomas the Templar at Manjarin especially when Thomas calls on the Archangel Michael to defend the pilgrims in the Irago Mountains during his 11am blessing. (Thomas does his blessing at 11am every day because it is mid-day in Jerusalem). He doesn't like the Cruz de Ferro either. Get past those milestones and on your way to Galicia and he will cower away, back to bother others coming along the path.

So look out for the Camino Devil. If he starts bothering you - ignore him. Tell him to bugger off and leave you alone! This is your Camino and you haven't done all that planning and training and traveled so far to get there just to give up when some pesky little demon sits on your shoulder!

Attachments

• Pilgrim devil61u.jpg
    Pilgrim devil61u.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 984
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Inspirational words, Sil! Why has no one ever thought of this little personality, poking his nose into everyone's affairs? So, pilgrims, just give him (I'm sure it's a him) the cold shoulder and persevere with your Pilgrimage! Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My devil is a little different. He sits on my shoulder beating me with a stick and shouting into my ear:"More kilometres, more kilometres!!"

I was this very day on the camino between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza, where the devil supposedly hangs out.

There I found eight pilgrims gathered round a packet of granola bars, sharing and laughing. One of them had a bad cough, but No, they said, they didn´t need a ride, they didn´t want to have their mochilas delivered to the next albergue. They would help each other get there.

They gave me a granola bar and waved me on my way.
I think the devil must be someplace else on the camino today. Maybe he´s on holiday?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had that same Evil Devil sitting on my shoulder too. But on my other shoulder was sitting a nice little Angel...
Guess who won the battle? ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.