• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Francés day-by-day (three years ago)

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Tomorrow marks three years to the day since @Wendy Werneth and I started our first camino, the Francés, from SJPdP. I posted a photo and a sentence or two each day on Facebook while we were walking and I thought it might be fun, given the current circumstances, to repost these here each day and relive the journey over the next 39 days as though it were a live camino.

Wish us luck and let’s hope Wendy doesn’t get plantar fasciitis on Day 1!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Camino de Santiago, Day 1. After a hike of 24.5km, including a climb through the Pyrenees to 1429m and a non-existent international border crossing, we eventually made it to Spain and the village of Roncesvalles. This is supposed to be the hardest day on the entire Camino Francés, so it should be easy-peasy from now on!

(2020 note: I’ll put the photos inside spoilers to make the page load more quickly and reduce scrolling.)

47327629-1C05-4570-83E1-681757406D07.jpeg

Camino de Santiago, Day 2. After a 6am wake-up song by the Dutch volunteers at the pilgrims' hostel, our hike began with an early-morning stroll through this witches' forest, where nine people were burned at the stake during the Inquisition. That set the tone for the rest of our day, which was another 24km but largely flat and forested.

P1010665.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Camino de Santiago, Day 3. After a short-ish 21km hike, we arrived early this afternoon at the only place on the Camino Francés that I had already been to: Pamplona, which I once visited for the running of the bulls as a two-and-a-half-week traveller at age 21 in July 2001. Today, at over 30 degrees at 6pm (springtime!), local kids cool off by splashing around in a fountain next to the Cathedral.

EAF8562A-DB65-413E-8262-1AE5AF440957.jpeg

(2020 edit: I notice that I called it a ‘hike’ on each of the first three days. I guess it took me a few days to understand that the camino is not exactly a hike!)

Camino de Santiago, Day 5. The trail itself takes many forms, from main roads to village streets to dirt tracks and everything in between. Today we walked on another type of trail, centuries older than the camino itself: a secondary Roman road that once went from Gaul to Hispania.

F5986243-396C-4B66-9356-066FA6BAE6F7.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino de Santiago, Day 5. The trail itself takes many forms, from main roads to village streets to dirt tracks and everything in between. Today we walked on another type of trail, centuries older than the camino itself: a secondary Roman road that once went from Gaul to Hispania.

My poor feet still remember those roads years later. I'm sure in Roman times they must have had some sort of additional covering. Otherwise, no legions that marched along them would have been in any shape to fight when they arrived at their destination.

My poor feet still remember those roads years later. I'm sure in Roman times they must have had some sort of additional covering. Otherwise, no legions that marched along them would have been in any shape to fight when they arrived at their destination.

The surface of the road would have been a lot smoother in Roman times, that’s for sure!

Camino de Santiago, Day 6. Today was the first rainy day of the Camino, and we walked in constant drizzle for a couple of hours and light drizzle for a couple more. But every cloud has a silver lining, and the way to warm a pilgrim's heart at 8am on a rainy day is by having a magic wine fountain.

18700059_10155088376865865_2864187213588416580_n copy.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino de Santiago, Day 7. Village churches are often closed when we pass them on the trail, and, if not, we're often too tired to fully appreciate them. Today we rose later and walked more slowly, which helped on both counts. One of the highlights of the day was this small and beautiful 12th century sandstone church, octagonal in shape and Romanesque in style with some Mudejar elements as well (Muslim-influenced architecture in Christian lands in Spain). The dome ceiling is decorated in a wonderful style that originated in Jaca, a town in Aragón that we visited last year.

41E9E30E-FDFD-4A8F-9EA3-6A5F8D6EE094.jpeg

Camino de Santiago, Day 8. On our 10th wedding anniversary, we took it easy and walked only 9km this morning. Along the way, we crossed from Navarra into La Rioja, so we thought it might be a good idea to try some of the local produce...

P1010995.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back