• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Frances is calling me back

tomnorth

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: September 24 - October 31 (2015)
I walked the Camino Frances in the fall of 2015. I have read of many who take a different route on subsequent Caminos. I find that the CF is calling me back. I know that I will walk it again. I'm interested to hear from those that have walked multiple CFs. How did your later Caminos compare to your first? I don't have any illusions that my second Camino Frances will be a repeat experience of my first. That is not my aim. To me, the Camino Frances is a river of humanity. I want to get carried away by that current again.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did my CF in the fall of 2015 and as much as I enjoyed the wonderful experience I'm opting for the VDLP, which I appears to be a lot less crowded. having said that I hope to do the CF sometime in the future while I'm able to plod along.

Remember
"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them. You have to start the journey anew. Always" Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

From 2004 through 2014 I walked
the Camino Frances 10 times from SJPdP to Santiago. Each additional journey was never the same as the earlier ones but all have been special....I feel blessed to have these priceless memories.

Be sure to read/ponder what others have posted re repeating caminos in this earlier Forum thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...frances-a-second-time-good-or-bad-idea.23580/

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would also like to hear from those who repeat Camino Frances.

I took a different track, first with alternate Caminos which brings me back to SDC so many times that I started calling St. James Jimmy instead and felt out of place when I see all the joyous first timers completing their journey.

My last few Caminos was different and they ended in places I passed before but no longer in SDC. Camino Levante ended in Zamora and Camino del Interior (Tunnel) in Sto Domingo de la Calzada and Camino Mozarabe in Merida. Next year I'd probably walk the Camino del Madrid to Sahagun.

It's all about the journey now....

I did my CF in the fall of 2015 and as much as I enjoyed the wonderful experience I'm opting for the VDLP, which I appears to be a lot less crowded. having said that I hope to do the CF sometime in the future while I'm able to plod along.
I did my first Camino (CF) in autumn last year also and the VdlP in Spring this year. It was quieter than the CF but busier than I expected...I loved it. Buen Camino Waka :)

Remember
"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them. You have to start the journey anew. Always" Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

From 2004 through 2014 I walked
the Camino Frances 10 times from SJPdP to Santiago. Each additional journey was never the same as the earlier ones but all have been special....I feel blessed to have these priceless memories.

Be sure to read/ponder what others have posted re repeating caminos in this earlier Forum thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...frances-a-second-time-good-or-bad-idea.23580/
Beautiful post...thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I finished the Camino last year in Oct. thinking I was done with it. Now, I find myself saying maybe, possibly ... probably. I think I would go into that much more knowledgeable, I would do some things the same, some things different. I would worry about different things and I would look at things differently. I think in many ways it would be better yet different.

I've walked multiple Camino Frances, and they were all different in their own way. Of course the first one I walked was the most interesting and special, but they were all good. I also tried not to stay in the same towns again when I could.
I like the historical aspects of the Frances and the cities and towns you walk through as well as the logistics. The amount of accommodations and restaurants, etc.
I've just never had an interest in the other routes. If I was looking for something different, I'd do some hiking and backpacking on one of many trails here in the US.

Have walked the Frances twice and rejoined it in Astorga last year to complete from Le Puy and Norte. Have also walked other caminos. However, none compares with the freedom of the Frances (no booking of accommodation and plenty of bars for rest stops)or the comraderie of it. From Le Puy to SJPDP is stunning and has the best food but we went in walking months which meant we had to book ahead. The Norte was in October and some of the albergues were already shut so again, accommodation was sometimes more difficult. From Lisbon to Porto there were no albergues when we went and some days were very long between accommodation. Porto on was good and like the Frances. So, in 2018, it will be the Frances again (plus a couple of other caminos as add ons).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've had to walk my CF in segments. I couldn't wait to get back while I was still east of Leon! 2017 all depends on my job situation (or lack there of...)

I have walked the entire CF twice in the late April - May timeframe. In 2016, I walked the last half (almost) from Leon to Sarria in early to mid-April.

The first time you do a route, there is an element of wonder and surprise as everything you encounter is new and different; the sights, smells, tastes, and the people you meet. The second time around it begins to look familiar. For me, the third time over the stretch of the CF from Leon to Sarria was not as "fun" as I hoped it would be. The weather may have had a role in this reality. It rained for two weeks straight and each day was cold wet and raw. Things that stood out previously now looked drab and uninviting, especially in the rain and fog. I was also off my antidepressant medication , so that may have played a role as well...but I digress...

So, my recommendation for redoing a previous route, especially one as popular as the CF, is to try a different time of year. As the flowers, crops, and farm animals grow through their annual cycles, so too does the entire environment around you. The painting changes it's view. It is truly beautiful.

IMHO, the two "best" seasons for the CF are the end of April (after Easter) to the end of May...before the schools let out across Europe; and the early autumn...say September to October. It is still warm, so winter clothing is not needed, most services are available and albergues are still open, usually through the end of October.

Conversely, early spring is cooler (single degree mornings are common) has more rain and the chance of snow at elevations over about 700 MASL (Meters above sea level) through mid-May. FYI, I have encountered significant snow at Cruz de Ferro on two of my last three passages along this route (2013, 2014, & 2016). This year it was cold, rainy and raw. But, the rain washed the snow away. But it was there before the rain came. I could see it on the distant farm pastures.

Also, after mid-September, all the schools are back in session across Europe, so crowding is reduced. The key is two-fold: (1) stay off the CF from mid-June through the beginning of September, unless you love large and loud crowds of pilgrims; and (2) constrain your Camino to the two "hip" seasons when the views are the most spectacular and weather relatively more kind.

If your personal circumstances do not permit doing a Camino at these times, consider doing a less traveled route than the CF during the summer months. Even on the CF, you can attenuate difficulties by altering your daily pattern and the places you stop each evening to be different than the swarming hordes of fair weather pilgrims... If you walk off-times and to different end-stops daily, as compared to the hordes, you will have less stress and anxiety.

But, you need to plan ahead. Smart phones and Bing or Google Translate are great for this. I am a late (2015) and reluctant convert to the world of smart phones. But, it resulted in an enhanced Camino experience at least for me. So, I encourage judicious use of them for planning and routing purposes. I turn my cellular / voice capability off by choice, using only data all day. I turn messaging and voice on only at day's end.

My next CF will likely be in September - October. But, there are other routes I want to explore first. I have walked the Portuguese coastal route from Porto, but want to try both the full route from north of Lisbon (avoiding the industrial belt around the city), and the newly charted "Spiritual Variant" to the Porto - Santiago route. I tried the Madrid route this past April, but came away unimpressed...too desolate for me...I need other pilgrims around. I also want to do the Ingles from Ferro.

I hope this helps the dialog.

I really want to do the CF again also if I can. I did it this year at 70, and really appreciated that I could keep my mileage to 15-20 km a day. I know others my age do more, but that is about it for me. I know others my age can do more, but between my osteoporosis and arthritis that is about it for me. I am hoping to get the opportunity to go again, don't think I would feel comfortable on other caminos where accommodations are more sparse.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really want to do the CF again also if I can. I did it this year at 70, and really appreciated that I could keep my mileage to 15-20 km a day. I know others my age do more, but that is about it for me. I know others my age can do more, but between my osteoporosis and arthritis that is about it for me. I am hoping to get the opportunity to go again, don't think I would feel comfortable on other caminos where accommodations are more sparse.
Brava to you for doing your Camino. I hope to be able to do the same when I am 70.

...I have read of many who take a different route on subsequent Caminos. I find that the CF is calling me back. I know that I will walk it again. I'm interested to hear from those that have walked multiple CFs. How did your later Caminos compare to your first? I don't have any illusions that my second Camino Frances will be a repeat experience of my first. That is not my aim. To me, the Camino Frances is a river of humanity. I want to get carried away by that current again.
I have walked many times. I find the CF very attractive, every time. It is now familiar, and yet different each time. I mean: I know the places, and I am very confident, but still, it's my way. I have done the VdlP, the San Olav, and several CF's, but the CF is still closest to my heart. Next time, I will maybe walk from Alicante or Almeria or Malaga, but the CF will always stay in my memory as a very good place to be.

Edit: T2Andreo has given some very good advice above!

Last edited:
Hey Tom! We met on the Camino last year and it's calling me back as well. I plan to do the Camino Frances again and I wanted to try it in another season. So, I am starting on April 11 from SJPP. I think it will be wonderful to be on the Camino during Holy Week, especially on Easter. Last time I ended in Santiago. This time I will go on to Finisterre and Muxia. I am counting down the days. Can't wait to hear when you will be back. Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked a portion of CF in 2013 and then from St Jean to Santiago in 2015. Loved both experiences and definitely want to do it again, however I HAVE to do some other walks first. I am going to walk a portion of the Via Francigena next spring and then probably the Camino Norte in 2018. I'm not sure when I will fit my next Camino Frances in but I'm sure I will. I love the freedom of that route as well as the strong connections with fellow travellers. The next time I walk the CF I intend to have more time, walk a bit less each day and explore more. I know everyone says that. I understand why now. :)

Kat:

I am doing a stint as a "Ditch Pig" in Palencia, cleaning up along the Frances, in two weeks. Next July 15, I will be volunteering at the Pilgrim Office for a month. I have not yet made my 2017 Camino plans.

I usually do that after I sort out my income taxes, typically by the end of January, more or less. Once I know how big a bite Washington is taking, I can plan accordingly.

Do you plan to do the entire Frances from SJPdP, then continue on to Finisterre & Muxia? My planning is open and fluid at the moment.

Kat:

I am doing a stint as a "Ditch Pig" in Palencia, cleaning up along the Frances, in two weeks. Next July 15, I will be volunteering at the Pilgrim Office for a month. I have not yet made my 2017 Camino plans.

I usually do that after I sort out my income taxes, typically by the end of January, more or less. Once I know how big a bite Washington is taking, I can plan accordingly.

Do you plan to do the entire Frances from SJPdP, then continue on to Finisterre & Muxia? My planning is open and fluid at the moment.

I plan to walk the entire Camino Frances and definitely continue on to Finisterre and Muxia. I really regret not going to Finisterre last time. I can't wait to get back on the Camino!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back