• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino From Space

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Here's a current look at the more than a few Caminos from space; last Friday was a nice day out there all over Spain! I opened this link and checked out the high-resolution photo, and was amazed at the level of detail that's there--and figured I wouldn't be the only one who'd enjoy it.
(This isn't the first time NASA has posted a stunning pic of Iberia from space...hmmm...does someone there like the Camino?;))

Here's the caption that went with that image, courtesy of NASA:

"The Iberian Peninsula was greening in early March 2017. The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) aboard NASA’s Aqua satellite on March 10.

Snow tops the highest elevations in the Pyrenees Mountains that sit along the border of Spain and France. Patches of snow also can be seen on a few mountaintops in the Central Mountains and, along the northern coast, the Cantabrian Range. Red hot spots mark fires scattered across the landscape, with a cluster in the Cantabrian Range.

The Iberian Peninsula contains both Spain, which makes up the largest part of the land mass. Portugal lies in the southwest. The Strait of Gibraltar (south) separates the Iberian Peninsula from North Africa while the Atlantic Ocean sits in the west and the Mediterranean Sea in the east.

Image Facts
Satellite: Aqua
Date Acquired: 3/10/2017
Resolutions: 1km (327.8 KB), 500m (1.2 MB), 250m (3.3 MB)
Bands Used: 1,4,3
Image Credit: Jeff Schmaltz, MODIS Land Rapid Response Team, NASA GSFC
"

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-14_17-52-5.png
    upload_2017-3-14_17-52-5.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Are those clouds or snow on the Pyrenees at the Eastern side? Beautiful pic.

Snow.
There is a good reason the Napoleon route is closed until April.
If you click on the 3.3MB resolution, you can see all sorts of things that are recognizable--cities (like Pamplona, which is very clear), and even highways. And for those contemplating the Salvador--overlay this on your map to see what the snow conditions are up there in the picos, right now!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you @Viranani
Starting from SJPdP on 2 April. Coming from rural NSW at the end of a long, hot, dry, Australian summer. Feeling vaguely anxious about walking through snow as little to no experience and definitely no waterproof boots. Added to which is the sorry story of two men rescued just the other day from the Napolean route preying on my mind. Woke up early this morning and lay there planning what to do if caught out in snow storm even though I have already decided to walk the Valcarlos route.
Your map puts the CF in much better perspective than what my mind has been creating. That amount of snow I'm thinking I'm equiped to deal with. Lots of layers including a set of thermals, long trousers with tee shirt plus long sleeved shirt, down vest, fleece with hood, hat, gloves, woollen socks, towel I can use as scarf, rain pants and rain jacket. I'll be fine, she says with great confidence! :)

Edit: Plus I've got some waterproof cuben fibre bags that in an emergency I can wear on my feet between socks and trail runners.

Edit #2: Plus on that day my backpack would be super light. Hahaha

Last edited:
@HedaP, if it's a nice day, you may only encounter snow on the ground as you approach Ibaneta--and in that case it's not really that big a deal--it will be packed down and pretty easy to walk on. And it may not even be too chilly. The weather could be shocking, but if you keep and eye on the forecast you could always adjust your departure a day or two to avoid it. So not to overthink or worry too much.
I last went through there in early March 2015 and wore only a fleece, hat, and gloves--and it was fine. The feet got a bit chilly from all the snow and slush, but it was no big deal in the end. The important thing is not to overheat climbing up from Valcarlos--and then end up at the top where it's flat and more exposed/windy in sweaty clammy clothes! This is not the antarctic we're talking about. So no need to start out from Valcarlos all bundled up.

That said. If the weather is shocking and you have no cold tolerance, you may need to stop and put on some more layers of protection.
And know you can easily send excess clothes on to Santiago from Pamplona. You'll see what you need when you get there.

(PS I'm not from a snowy place either--so not to think I'm blase because I grew up stomping in lots of cold white stuff. Far from it--I'm from Hawaii, and later NZ. You'll be right.;))

@HedaP, if it's a nice day, you may only encounter snow on the ground as you approach Ibaneta--and in that case it's not really that big a deal--it will be packed down and pretty easy to walk on. And it may not even be too chilly. The weather could be shocking, but if you keep and eye on the forecast you could always adjust your departure a day or two to avoid it. So not to overthink or worry too much.
I last went through there in early March 2015 and wore only a fleece, hat, and gloves--and it was fine. The feet got a bit chilly from all the snow and slush, but it was no big deal in the end. The important thing is not to overheat climbing up from Valcarlos--and then end up at the top where it's flat and more exposed/windy in sweaty clammy clothes! This is not the antarctic we're talking about. So no need to start out from Valcarlos all bundled up.

That said. If the weather is shocking and you have no cold tolerance, you may need to stop and put on some more layers of protection.
And know you can easily send excess clothes on to Santiago from Pamplona. You'll see what you need when you get there.

(PS I'm not from a snowy place either--so not to think I'm blase because I grew up stomping in lots of cold white stuff. Far from it--I'm from Hawaii, and later NZ. You'll be right.;))
Yep, you're right. I'll be fine. Just a few last minute jitters.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back