• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino has ruined my footwear wardrobe...

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014.
I wore a pair of Brasher walking boots on my 2012 Camino and covered just over (or under) 1000kms depending on whose distances you believe. These are a wide fitting boot which I also got in a size larger because I was double socking. Everything worked a treat, finished the journey without a blister or any other foot problems........except one, my feet spread and grew in size. Now none of my former shoes or boots fit me comfortably even for just day walks, my two small toes bear the brunt of this spread and end up sore by evening. What I have started doing now is wearing another "good" pair of brasher boots for general wear but come going out to a function or somewhere "posh" where I have to wear my good going out shoes, I suffer 'till I get home again, I dread weddings at the moment. I have contemplated going back to my childhood and going barefoot again. :)
Have any of you had similar experiences.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wayfarer - sorry no specific experience. Suggestions: go see a podiatrist as soon as possible to have your feet scanned and/or examined for physical problems. It could be a temporary or even permanent, also take along a couple of pairs of shoes - the ones you wore on the Camino and your ordinary ones that now have fitting problems.
Depending upon the podiatrist finds you may need to buy a new pair of shoes, even if the problem is temporary, because walking around in badly fitting shoes or shoes that are hurting is not a good idea. Beun Camino ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wore a pair of Brasher walking boots on my 2012 Camino and covered just over (or under) 1000kms depending on whose distances you believe. These are a wide fitting boot which I also got in a size larger because I was double socking. Everything worked a treat, finished the journey without a blister or any other foot problems........except one, my feet spread and grew in size. Now none of my former shoes or boots fit me comfortably even for just day walks, my two small toes bear the brunt of this spread and end up sore by evening. What I have started doing now is wearing another "good" pair of brasher boots for general wear but come going out to a function or somewhere "posh" where I have to wear my good going out shoes, I suffer 'till I get home again, I dread weddings at the moment. I have contemplated going back to my childhood and going barefoot again. :)
Have any of you had similar experiences.
Yes! I too gained an inch in length and went from an already wide 3E to 4E! I remember the horrified look on a Swedish pilgrims face when I told her I had to throw out all my shoes after my first camino! I live in a place of small feet and can't just go shoe shopping. .I have to order all my shoes online and they almost all cost over $100! :(

I used to have long skinny feet, a woman's 9 1/2 or 10 US, but just returned the Hi Tec 10's I bought for an 11. And my "home" shoes seem to have shrunk while I wasn't looking! But the walk was well worth larger feet. Hopefully by next time they will have gotten growing out of their system!

Thanks so much for this post...
I could not understand what was happening with my feet...
Now I´m happy again, it´s normal :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Me too, I had wide feet and no problems, Mother who only bought Clarks laced shoes for us and 1 pair summer sandals, mostly went bare foot. Now I'm an almost 40...(7) used to get into a 5 . Have walked 3 Caminos.My new Merrell sandals are 40's. lovely fit, and my daughter said tonight I have "claustrophobic" feet, I don't like tight shoes or shoes (especially "ladies" ones) at all.

I think we 'normally' wear shoes that are a little smaller than would be ideal, but because many of us are not on our feet all day, it's not all that obvious. Given the chance, the effect of regularly walking for several hours at a time, our feet spread out, ie broaden and lengthen.

This is different from oedema, where fluids are retained in the soft tissues of the foot, causing them to swell.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back