• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

the camino in 33 stages? John Brierley book

p.saffrie

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino 16 May 2015
Future 2020- 2025-2030 etc
Hello, Reading the pilgrim's guide from John Brierley there are 33 stages and gives a nice time table for walking. Now I am a good walker and wandered if there are peregrinos who walked according the book and can it be done in less stages or should it be even more.
greetz Peter

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
can it be done in less stages or should it be even more
Yes.

:D

It is just a guide. Make your own stages. He stops in Larrasoana, for example, but skips Pamplona. As you walk, you may find that you like the villages more than the towns. The first time I hit Leon, I walked through the cathedral and then walked on. I did not like the big city ambiance. Since then, I have had several multiple-day stops in Leon.

I typically take 35 days, but have taken longer! If you plan too many days, there is a lot to do at the end.

Enjoy.

Hi Peter,
When we walked the camino, we tried to avoid sticking to the Brierley stages, as those tend to be the busiest places, due to the number of people who DO follow the book exactly.
We used the guide, and found it very helpful , of course, but there are other guides you can use.
There are so many wonderful " inbetween" places to stay, and its great to be flexible. One day you might want to walk more, and another less.
You are at the beginning of a wonderful journey, and so much fun to be had planning. ( but all plans can change ) :wink:

Buen camino ! ,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
as those tend to be the busiest places, due to the number of people who DO follow the book exactly
The power of Brierley! :twisted: English speaking pilgrims are only about 10% of the total, so even if they all used Brierley, it would not cause congestion anywhere. In fact, many guidebooks (including the sheet handed out in SJPdP) in Spanish and German recommend the same stages, so they should share the blame. I agree that avoiding the recommended end stages makes finding a bed easy, but there are some places that are natural ending points, or worthy of some extra time, that everyone stops in. Do what you find comfortable!

I believe it was broken down into 33 sections as they say that Jesus was 33 when he died

Dave

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
falcon269 said:
Thank goodness Jesus did not die at age 22 -- the Camino would be a real killer. :?

thank you.....i nearly wet myself laughing!!

by definition his is a guide, a suggestion if you like or a serving suggestion, use the info but no need to follow it blindly....listen to your body

Done it in 20 stages -- well, 21 if you count the last 5 km. It was a real killer. Not recommended.
There are so many refugios that you can just go at your own pace and stay wherever you like and make up your own schedule. Be sure to bring a sleeping bag in case you have to sleep on cold monastery floors.
Have fun! Pack light!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Forget about all these recommended stages! You will probably intend to follow them when you are planning- but then everything turns out different. You will see!
There are so many factors which will "invite" you to walk further, walk less, including the weather, Camino friends, passing an great Albergue, which tempts you to call it a day, even although you could walk for several hours more and, of course, physical limitations! Plan, but then take it as it comes! Anne

I did it in 36 days without staying extra days anywhere. If I were to do it again (SJPP to SDC) would probably plan for 40 days to afford some shorter distance days. The Brierley book was a good investment for the maps, albergues, alternate routes and other info included.

Hola

I'm allowing myself 24 days but this is down to outside time restrictions but as I've a total of 28 days walking time available the extra 4 days give me 3 options: carry on to Muxia/Finisterre / spend time enjoying cafe life in Santiago / back off my intending stage distances after week 1 if proving too demanding.

If still in good health when I eventually retire I would hope to return but with a start in Vezelay and spend all summer enjoying the camino in a very leisurely way.

A lot would depend on fitness and preparation, a regular hiker would experience less problems with blisters etc and 6 /8 hours walking daily would be normal for them. It's your camino and whatever distances, walking speed are enjoyable for you are the right ones.

If you want a more social/ boisterous camino then aim to stay overnight in the larger towns/villages where you'll have plenty of company, if seeking a more contemplative camino then stay overnight in villages that are mid stage on Brierly's stages. Maybe try a mix of both on week 1 and see which suits your mindset the best?

Buen camino

Seamus

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For some of us 33 days seems quite fast to walk from SJPdP to SdC; my average is 50 days taking time to savor every moment.

Whatever your schedule it is important to remember that this is NOT a walk in the park! Just because so many pilgrims have been successful does not guarantee that all will be. Anybody any moment can fall or pull or break something. The most common injury is the result of trying to walk too far too quickly carrying too much!

Start walking slowly and very easy for the first week. Distances cited in the guidebooks are not sacred; do not attempt 40 km the first day! Easy does it. Be a snail; slow but, determined. Consider the topography and the weather plus your health and pack weight as well as personal strength and ability to endure.

Margaret Meredith

Mspath is so right...i made it to Sarria with no rest days(just a couple of short days).Then as i left Sarria there is a long concrete downhill...my knee went...and i limped and hobbled to Santiago...next 3 months wearing knee support.
Until Sarria i had no trouble...except a few blisters...and conjunctivitis.

I agree with the above, take your time and enjoy it. I do, however, love to walk, and I prefer walking about 9 to 10 hours a day. I always walk from Roncesvalles directly to Pamplona, which takes about 9.5 hours, but it's all downhill though the last bit is awfully hot in the summer.

I really like the idea of doing it in 50 days as mspath wrote. That would be lovely. Really go slowly and wander a bit. Get lost a bit. Sit for hours in cafés!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take a look at this thread for some ideas on where to stay that are NOT at the ends of Brierley's stages:

el-camino-frances/topic10443.html

Then let your spirit and new friendships guide you along the Way.
Nancy

I found john Brierley's book really helpful with my first Camino last year. It is a guide book, a piece of work by one man who is very passionate about his subject. John has his own particular style of writing and his own personal "take" on the Camino! He has his own "Way" It has worked for him and i dare say it has worked for many other Pilgrims over the years.

My experience was that the guide helped in my preparation, gave me loads of helpful info and provided me with a structure, to at least begin with..
He divided it up into 33 stages which for him and i am sure many others again works well.

However the Camino has its own "way" of doing things! It is beyond guide books, beyond so called experts and even beyond the power of rational thought, a mystery without a doubt!

The "Camino " will take you on a journey like no other , a journey of the Heart and Soul!
Once you have walked the "Camino" you realise there are NO stages, neither are there worries, fears or doubts. You will live each day more "ALIVE" and with more "FREEDOM" than you ever thought possible. Buen Camino :arrow:

I used the guide as ... a guide. There were days I broke the stages in two, others I combined partially based on my location. Knowing which albergues were coming up, how I was feeling, and the weather, I was able to easily adapt the info to my day.

There will be days that you may not feel up to walking more than 15 km, and other days you could easily top the 30 - - it really depends on how you feel, how much rest you had the night before, any potential injuries (I twisted my knee going over a riverbed, and cut my day short after only 9 km...).

I really based it on how many km the nearest albergue was located - - then I decided to go ahead, or stay put. This is why adding a few "rest days" may be of help during your journey.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back