• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino in November

Castle43

Hi Guys my name is Ed. I am going to be walking the route starting at Valenca since I only have about a week to walk. I'll be walking in the middle of November. I am very interested in doing this and have been reading a lot but I'm lacking some basic information. I'm not sure where exactly the starting point is. Or where I can get my passport. I am an American studying abroad in Germany. I speak a little bit of German and a fair amount of Spanish. I'm also not exactly sure how to make sure I follow the exact route or if i will be able to find lodging in November. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Ed,
I started in Valenca the other week but as it was really early, and I wanted to get going I didn't find anywhere to obtain the credencial until the cathedral in Tui. I'd arrived on the morning train from Vigo which was an excellent service, but due to the time change between Spain and Portugal it meant I'd arrived in Valenca at 0730, I'd set off at 0740! But it did mean I got to the top of the fortress in time to see the sunrise, which I'd completely recommend.
If you're there later in the day the albergue is very close to the fortress, and I believe they issue credencials, otherwise you can get them over the river in Tui cathedral.
As for waymarking, it's pretty good the whole way. The only times I had trouble were (as always) on the entrances to towns but I'm sure anyone would be able to help you if you ask for directions.
As for lodgings, the albergues run by the Xunta will be open. As a treat halfway through, when you get to Caldas de Reis I'd recommend staying at the Balneario Davila (the Camino passes right outside) where bed, breakfast and a massage comes to 45 euros. Not bad at all!

Hey Ed
You'll find the way- I did the Portuguese in June and September, and even in those few months everything has been very well re-marked. To pick it up in Valenca, the route runs on the Avenida de Espanha east of the fort, or failing that, your only option when you get to the International Bridge is to follow the way (right hand side of the bridge is the official way, but I prefer the left hand side as the signage for the border is more visible). There is a motorway being built south of Caldas so the route keeps changing, but although the details are frustrating, it is generally kept well-marked.
I haven't met anyone yet who managed to get a credencial in Valenca; everyone starting there has had to pick one up in Tui. On the plus side, the stamp at Tui is one of the prettiest.
Can't comment on lodging that time of year, but I'd agree with Whalleyranger; my big regrets are a)not having stayed in Caldas (where there is an albergue) and b)not treating myself to a balneario there. You'll have been walking, possibly in the rain, an added bonus of the balneario (my friends have followed recommendations to stay at the Acuna for 53euro for 2) are lots of thermal-fed of radiators to dry out your clothes!
I'm not sure of the protocol re: people linking to the Confraternity guides (Peregrina2000 has done south of Porto, you'd want the one by JohnnyWalker for north of Porto), so I'm not doing it here, but you probably will have found these already in your searching, non?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm often astonished when people frequently on the site suggest that around 50 euros and more is a good price. :shock:

I couldn't sustain a walk at these prices, apart from the questionable value. Still, there seems to be quite a few with dosh to spare.....but I suspect that there are others who haven't.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Periperi,
50 euro for 2 people with thermal drying of your drenched clothes seems very good value to me.

Annie and Caminado quoted 20 euros but that seems to be for a single person.
The 10 extra in the depths of winter for warmth is more than advisable.

We just returned from the Le Puy route and the 800km to St. J averaged 60 euros a day for the girl and i. We never missed out on anything, drank whenever and stayed wherever , both communal and private. Thats the cost in France , Annie.

Good health to you all.
david

Quite apart from the high prices paid, there is much that is lost by cutting contact with pilgrims in the albergues of an evening. For me, this would be reducing the Camino to a mere walking holiday, to a commodity. If I won the lottery I still wouldn't go near these hotels and I'd say that my Camino would be diminished if I were to cut myself off like that from the life of the Camino.

But of course, each to his/her own, despite the loss.

I'm in Valença albergue at the moment and have had a laugh and shared experiences with pilgrims from France, Canada, USA, Holland. They told me things about the way ahead, as I am heading for SDC and they are going south at least to Porto. I could give them info on things they didnt know about the days to come.

Castle43 said:
Hi Guys my name is Ed. I am going to be walking the route starting at Valenca since I only have about a week to walk. I'll be walking in the middle of November. I am very interested in doing this and have been reading a lot but I'm lacking some basic information. I'm not sure where exactly the starting point is. Or where I can get my passport. I am an American studying abroad in Germany. I speak a little bit of German and a fair amount of Spanish. I'm also not exactly sure how to make sure I follow the exact route or if i will be able to find lodging in November. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Still with us, Ed?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have a nice trip! I'm also going, but on monday and i start from Lisbon...
This forum didn't help me a lot unfortunately, because everybody is talking about sleeping in refugios or hostels or other payable stuff...I'll really go on the budget, sleaping outside with a little tent if the weather will be fine and a maximum of 5€ per day for food.
I hope i'll manage to do it, because i also have some knee problems, so i hope they will not come out again or i'll have to make the walk in more parts...

Florian said:
Have a nice trip! I'm also going, but on monday and i start from Lisbon...
This forum didn't help me a lot unfortunately, because everybody is talking about sleeping in refugios or hostels or other payable stuff...I'll really go on the budget, sleaping outside with a little tent if the weather will be fine and a maximum of 5€ per day for food.
I hope i'll manage to do it, because i also have some knee problems, so i hope they will not come out again or i'll have to make the walk in more parts...

If the info about albergues isnt useful, you can ask any question you like and I'm sure you´ll find what you need.

It's not only about albergues.

It has been raining nearly every day for me, but I'm enjoying the walk. Hope you do too....Bom Caminho! If you had wanted to, you could have asked me what I find on the section from Porto to SDC. But the info is already there I think. If you dont have much info then that can be a very good thing. You walk and ask on the way.

If you need to, you can eat two meals a day and still pay your 3 euros for the albergue in Portugal for under your 5 euros. In Spain it's 5. If you have knee problems, then this is a better way for you, for you dont need to carry a tent, stove, pots, or a sleeping bag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back