• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The camino is boring landscapes, paved roads, traffic…

I'm glad to be in this thread with so many of my contemporaries--I'll be 73 next month. Since I'm both a historian and an urban planner, one of my real pleasures on the CF is walking through and to so many truly historic villages, towns and cities. Some days I'll count the number of medieval (or with medieval districts) places I've walked through and post the pictures on-line. Some friends criticize me for only posting photos of buildings and urban spaces, such as squares--where are the people? they ask.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some friends criticize me for only posting photos of buildings and urban spaces, such as squares--where are the people? they ask.
I very rarely take photos of people. Partly because I usually walk quite solitary routes. But probably more because I very strongly dislike having my own photo taken and see no reason to inflict the experience on someone else.

Yes please post the pictures from all the plazas and the houses in the little villages.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I very rarely take photos of people. Partly because I usually walk quite solitary routes. But probably more because I very strongly dislike having my own photo taken and see no reason to inflict the experience on someone else.
I agree. I hate being photographed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Some people enjoy beaches, some enjoy cruises. Some people prefer to stay within an hour of home. To each their own. Some people get their exercise walking around their neighbourhood, some pay to go to a gym. To each their own.

Is it really necessary for your friend to understand?
Good point

On my first Camino I thought it was important to finish it and embrace the saint but then I walked on to Muxia. The next year I started two Camino from different directions and being time restricted job wise planned on continuing as I could. No. I think I never left the Camino reallyU it’s part of me. So if you grew up in the mountains that maybe your nonplusulta likewise near the sea or a river.
So a friend for me is one that I can support and that supports me. And the Alps can be great. There is pilgrimage to Rome across the Alps. just a thought.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm a very social person and one of the biggest draw for me is connection. Connecting with my sister who walks beside me. Connecting with all these other pilgrims from all over the world. Connecting with the past and the millions of feet that have walked this same path over the last thousand years.
I love history and stories. The Camino is rich with them if you take time to look. Not only the stories of these ancient places but of the pilgrims I meet along the way.

I love the inspiration to be intentional and live in the moment. I love surrounding myself with simple pleasures. Sun and shade. Water and coffee. Birdsong and cow bells.

I love the shared experience. Joy's of the unexpected food truck, or bathroom or bench. As well as the pain and struggles. Blisters, sore muscles and those what the heck stairs into Portamarin. Everyone around me understands even when we don't speak the same language, we know and nod.
We might not understand why we do this or why we love it so much, but we can recognize the moments we will always charish.

I'm a very social person and one of the biggest draw for me is connection. Connecting with my sister who walks beside me. Connecting with all these other pilgrims from all over the world. Connecting with the past and the millions of feet that have walked this same path over the last thousand years.
I love history and stories. The Camino is rich with them if you take time to look. Not only the stories of these ancient places but of the pilgrims I meet along the way.

I love the inspiration to be intentional and live in the moment. I love surrounding myself with simple pleasures. Sun and shade. Water and coffee. Birdsong and cow bells.

I love the shared experience. Joy's of the unexpected food truck, or bathroom or bench. As well as the pain and struggles. Blisters, sore muscles and those what the heck stairs into Portamarin. Everyone around me understands even when we don't speak the same language, we know and nod.
We might not understand why we do this or why we love it so much, but we can recognize the moments we will always charish.

Beautifully written, Rosie, my feelings exactly but I could've not said it so well. Allow me to copy and paste it to my friend :)
Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
He is 63 y old, a keen mountain hiker and does not understand my camino addiction. I tried in vain to pass the virus on to him. «I have all the natural beauty, the real mountains, lakes, the crisp air, clean refuges and good food, all just an hour away from my porch (he is Swiss), why should I go to Spain?». Of course he is right, but how do I explain him that the camino is not a hike, but a long pilgrimage into ones inner self.

Switzerland does not have "all the natural beauty" that you would encounter along the Swiss Way via Lausanne > Geneva >Le Puy > SJPP

And there's a particular kind of beauty to the meseta for example that many mountain hikers can misunderstand, including because the "boringness" of it is part and parcel of that beauty.

As for that "long pilgrimage into ones inner self", hmmm, it's not something that every pilgrim will embark upon -- and you can't transfer your own personal Way onto someone else, it just doesn't work.

If he did it, it would need to be on his terms, not yours -- and if natural beauty and more mountain hiking is what he wants from life, then he might simply need a much longer and more mountainous Camino than you did.

Maybe show him what the Camino is, instead of trying to describe what your own personal one is like ...

French-pilgrimage-pilgrim-map.jpg

Yes, the Swiss Camino sections are beautiful and recommendable, but there is a different spirit, more deeply religious, more serious than the tolerant Spanish ways....

That is exactly what nearly all pilgrims miss out on by just flying into SJPP or wherever ...

The Camino proper is a combination of the above with what you will find along the Francès etc.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back