• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The camino is busy...

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
cuerpo_70339.jpg

"'Overbooking' en el Camino" is the headline in todays El Correo Gallego. The picture says it all.

This was the refuge in O Pino (20km from Santiago) yesterday (August 19th 2007). The refuge has 120 beds, 200 were in line when they opened.

Read more here

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looks well busy!

Will it be that busy in 3-4 weeks time ?? I don't really want crowds when I go

If my back heals up (don't ask!) I am intending to do my first "mini camino" from Triacastela area in Sept

I want some solitude and time for reflection and meditation - maybe I should consider the camino portugues??

I fly into Santiago - what is a good starting point for the camino portugues to give approx 6 or 7 days walking into SdC and to be able to collect a credencial at the start, I think XM mentioned Tui or Ponte de Lima but I do not know the distances

thanks & Buen camino to all

Andy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hallo

This is no fun. Thats why we avoided the busy time so that we could enjoy ourself and not run or wait in line for shelter .

Andy, in 4-5 weeks, it must be a little less busy. The final part of teh camino frances is always busy . So be prepared for some traffic

Kind Regards
Bharat

Andy Faint said:
I want some solitude and time for reflection and meditation - maybe I should consider the camino portugues??

If that is the case I would suggest you walk between Burgos and Leon in September. The last part between Sarria and Santiago is really busy, although you should not have problems with accomodation.

Burgos and Leon, being major cities on the Camino, can easily be reached by bus or train.

When is the Camino least busy?

I am new to the idea of walking the Camino- Maybe in a couple of years. Reading all of the posts. I am wondering when the Camino is least busy but still not terribly bad, weather-wise?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It seems that august this year has been a real bumper month. A major problem is large groups booking things in advance. We saw a few organised walking holiday groups, whose kit was carried ahead and who had pre-booked 15-20 places in private albergues. Same goes for scout groups of which there were also several.

Maybe it's time to organise the albergue thing as a licenced venture? ie: If you call your business an albergue then it's first come first served, otherwise you're a hostal or B&B or hotel.... Just a thought. I dont begrudge these groups their walk but seeing a group of laughing wanderers saunter fresh in to an albergue whilst the people who'd just done 30km with packs on looked forward to a night under the stars..being eaten by mosquitoes and unable to wash their clothes - seemed deeply unfair. We were very lucky but partly because we went off the camino more than once to go to casa rural's. Not everyone will have the budget for that. O'Cebreiro was fully booked and teeming with people without places to stay when we got there at 6pm and there were fleets of taxi's taking people somewhere more accomodating.

It seems to me maybe june would be better? Whats the weather like then? Especially in changeable Galicia?

Re:

Hi, Andy.

If you have problems with your back, may be it's a good idea the Camino Portugues. You have albergues each 13 km, not crowded, where you can arrive late and you will find a bed to rest. In the Camino Frances it's difficult to find a bed arriving in the afternoon.

If you understand spanish or portuguese, remember than you can download the whole guide of the Camino Portugues in http://www.amigosdelcamino.com completely free.

By the other side, it's curious this photo with too many problems to get a bed in O Pino, where the Camino it's been destroyed to build a industrial Polygon.

Andy, have a very good Camino.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back