• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Is...

CowboyJoe

Time of past OR future Camino
I wrote this while on the Camino last June and added to it today. The older, original version is still on my blog (CaminoJoe.com). I thought it might bring back a memory to those of you who have walked the Camino--and serve as food for thought to those of you who are planning your first adventure...Buen Camino!
---------------
The Camino Is...

The Camino is an endless repetition, a universal calling, a long walk, a longer prayer.

The Camino is not what you think it is.

And not what you think it should be.

It is everything and it is nothing.

It forces you and moves you, teases you and slams you, questions you and fights you.

It blisters you, depletes you, weakens you and at the same time toughens you, builds you, strengthens you.

The Camino is prayer and tears, redemption and forgiveness, cathedrals and scallop shells, blessings and oh so pure silence.

It questions you, talks to you, listens to you and quietens the noise within.

It is the outside of the inside of you and everything in between.

The Camino is sinner and Saint, history and legends, believers and non-believers. It is scores of nationalities all marching in the same direction, all for the same and yet different reasons, all following the same road toward the same destination.

It is friendships made, shared, poured out, emptied for each other through laughter, tears and a companionship etched in stones from the road.

The Camino is 500 miles of taking in, sorting out, letting go.

It is a physical, mental, and emotional reality check of what you think and who you think you are.

The Camino fills you, then empties you. It teases you, calms you, laughs at you, becomes you.

And does it again and again with each amazing day.

Walk. Eat. Sleep. Repeat.

There is redemption in repetition.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wrote this while on the Camino last June and added to it today. The older, original version is still on my blog (CaminoJoe.com). I thought it might bring back a memory to those of you who have walked the Camino--and serve as food for thought to those of you who are planning your first adventure...Buen Camino!
---------------
The Camino Is...

The Camino is an endless repetition, a universal calling, a long walk, a longer prayer.

It forces you and moves you, teases you and slams you, questions you and fights you.

It blisters you, depletes you, weakens you and at the same time toughens you, builds you, strengthens you.

The Camino is prayer and tears, redemption and forgiveness, cathedrals and scallop shells, blessings and oh so pure silence.

The Camino is sinner and Saint, history and legends, believers and non-believers. It is scores of nationalities all marching in the same direction, all for the same and yet different reasons, all following the same road toward the same destination.

It is friendships made, shared, poured out, emptied for each other through laughter, tears and a companionship etched in stones from the road.

It is a physical, mental, and emotional reality check of what you think and who you think you are.

The Camino fills you, then empties you. It teases you, calms you, laughs at you, becomes you.

---------------
The Camino Is...

Cowboys Joe... this is Islandjoe!
Wonderful writing ... oh so true!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back