• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Magic - It's not just a Hike

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Apologies for this rather long video, I was a bit reluctant to share it here.
But I'm hoping it may encourage others to share some Camino Magic!
Might be best watched with a glass of our favourite beverage :rolleyes:

I was prompted to make this video after chatting to a couple of Forum members who felt that maybe they missed out on some of the Camino experience, because they were too focussed on distance walked and their 'schedule'.

So maybe for newbies, planning their first Camino, this might encourage them to 'let go' a bit.

Product Disclosure Statement!
What I disclose in this video actually happened as described. Your own mileage may vary ;)

And hey, for the old hands here. Share! You mean stuff like this never happened to you?
This is what makes the Camino different from a 'Hike'...... :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are making a strong case for walking a solitary Camino. I have had many of the same sorts of experiences on all of my Caminos. Some of them found their way into my book Finding Santiago. But, I refrained from writing most of them, out of concerns that people might think me daft.

I call the phenomenon "Divine Serendipity."

You expressed these experiences very cogently. Thank you!

Ultreia!

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great video, @Robo !
Everyone's experience is different, and in my case, the magic of the Camino happened because I was walking with my wife who was recovering from cancer.
Being attuned to her physical, mental and spiritual state led to many magic moments.
Buen Camino!

Great video, @Robo !
Everyone's experience is different, and in my case, the magic of the Camino happened because I was walking with my wife who was recovering from cancer.
Being attuned to her physical, mental and spiritual state led to many magic moments.
Buen Camino!

Indeed. I totally get that. :)
Bless you both.

You are making a strong case for walking a solitary Camino. I have had many of the same sorts of experiences on all of my Caminos. Some of them found their way into my book Finding Santiago. But, I refrained from writing most of them, out of concerns that people might think me daft.

Ultreia!

Tom
for me, the Camino is not magic since I don't believe in magic. Yes for me it's a great spiritual hike and have eleven of them, hopefully, next year another one. God willing and if I'm able.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Ultreia!

Tom

LOL.
I was a bit worried about sharing these Tom.
As people who have not walked a Camino would indeed think us totally 'daft'
Nuts for the non British.

But I think it's better to share these stories, and risk ridicule, because for those who are yet to walk a Camino, maybe, just maybe, could get an insight into it's magic. And perhaps slow down, open up, and be 'vulnerable' enough, to let the magic work........

Such joyous release :)

for me, the Camino is not magic since I don't believe in magic. Yes for me it's a great spiritual hike and have eleven of them, hopefully, next year another one. God willing and if I'm able.

I'm not sure I'll ever catch you up with 11! I wish.......
Whatever word you like. Magic, mystical, mysterious, unpredictable.....
What a very special journey it is, if we allow it to be.

Best wishes for #12 :)

I was prompted to make this video after chatting to a couple of Forum members who felt that maybe they missed out on some of the Camino experience, because they were too focussed on distance walked and their 'schedule'.

So maybe for newbies, planning their first Camino, this might encourage them to 'let go' a bit.

What I disclose in this video actually happened as described. Your own mileage may vary ;)

And hey, for the old hands here. Share! You mean stuff like this never happened to you?

Loved your conversation.... Yes this stuff happens - I did the Frances in 2019 solo and had many moments. I do think there is the kindness of other walkers as well. They seem to know when you need them - and I am sure help was sometimes sent.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hey my friend your magic moment video was terrific. You really have a gift for story telling. My 1st Camino was filled with magic as well. I ended up walking the 1st week of the norte by myself. I needed that time alone. But then I connected with the most unlikely group of friends and we had a blast. I would agree that it's best to start the camino with zero expectations. Everyday may very well be your last. Great stories and thank you

I believe in magic, too! Things happen when you’re open to seeing it!
Enjoyed your experiences! 💜

What a beautiful video! I am planning my first Camino for next year and I only hope and wish that it is as magical as yours. You are so right in saying that one should remain open to whatever comes our way especially in this times after Covid. Thank you so much for sharing and would like to know where I can find some more of your stories.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rob, it’s heartening to hear your recommendation to walk solo. My first (short) Camino was with my husband, celebrating my survival after a car crash. He returned solo the following year and did the whole Francés and loved the solitary walking; I was to have had my turn in 2020 but Covid...so I plan to do my solo Francés this fall. Hoping to find some magic, but I know that’s nothing that can be planned or predicted!

I believe in magic, too! Things happen when you’re open to seeing it!
Enjoyed your experiences! 💜
I agree totally! I think @Robo the Camino gave you just the experiences that you needed! Seeing your Dad, hearing from your wife and seeing an old friend. Hmm - connections, perhaps?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nothing you say @Robo is daft. I enjoy walking alone and walking with people. A good mix is best for me! Magic happens when you are alone and sometimes when you are with people!

Yes I get that @Elle Bieling . I love walking alone, but also with others. And have met some great people along the way.

I like to 'set out' alone, with all the added freedom that gives, but I don't want to be alone all the time.
That can get very lonely.
If that makes sense :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for sharing @Robo. Yes, magic happens on the Camino, I walked my first, solo, in 2011 and you are right, the key is to just be open, let things happen, aware of your surroundings. I have a few stories that I still tell, 10 years later.
Best regards,
Eric

Thanks for sharing @Robo. Yes, magic happens on the Camino, I walked my first, solo, in 2011 and you are right, the key is to just be open, let things happen, aware of your surroundings. I have a few stories that I still tell, 10 years later.
Best regards,
Eric

Do share :)

@Robo : Thank you very much for your video!

If I think of camino magic or camino miracle I think for example of this:

My father was very ill in 2018. He denied to go to the doctor for many months... in spite of the fact everyone in the family said 'please, go!'.

On day 13 of my camino was the 25th of July, when the annual Feast of Saint James (Dia de Santiago) takes place in Santiago de Compostela. Carelessly I thought I could just go to church in Navarrete on this day if I am on the way of Saint James. Shortly before the mass the priest asked „Pilgrims? Where are you from?“…. and then 2 other pilgrims and I should read an intercession in the native language of the pilgrim. I thought: "Really? Have I got to read it?". The priest gave each of an intercession... and mine was for the ill people. I haven't read an intercession since I was a teenager about 30 years ago. And now i'm supposed to read in pilgrim's clothing... in shorts, because my better clothes were on the clothesline at the albergue.
I thought... maybe it would help my father.

But the illness of my father got worse. 6 days later in Burgos my mother said that she does not know how many days my father would live... but my father and my mother said that I should go on. The situation of my father got worse and my mother thought... if he would die anyway he should at least have less pain. She called a palliative doctor in the evening of the day. The doctor examined my father at home and called the ambulance for the transport to the hospital. He was treated with dialysis and had prostate surgery. His condition quickly improved.

The doctor in the hospital said: If my father would have stayed at home only one night longer... he would have probably died.

---

It is so difficult to write about camino magic... it seems to get less magic if I try to describe it.

Something like... if you ask me about camino magic, I cannot really tell you... but if you do not ask, I know it (or I felt it on the Camino).

And I think you cannot search for camino magic. The camino magic may find you if you need it... and it may find you easier if you walk also alone and are open for anything that may happen.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How utterly lovely (and not daft at all) - but hang on - What have you done with Robo? and where are you hiding him? And who is this much slimmer, healthier younger looking copy with the same voice??? 😂

Yes, to be open to such connections is not like taking something off a shelf, something you choose to 'buy', and what you have shown is that many times it is when it is difficult for us and we open more that we perceive that which is more than us (and benevolent).

If one enters a Christian monastery for contemplation the first thing they do is to take your phone away. You cannot 'be there' and be 'at home' at the same time.

The modern world is afraid of 'boredom' and does everything to avoid it, but it is that very state that leads to the most profound thoughts and experiences. It is necessary to go through the 'boredom' without clinging to a distraction like emailing home, checking social media, watching a Netflix film. Trust me; on the other side it is beautiful and not boring at all, in fact, the opposite.

Take a phone, of course, but just switch it on for a few minutes each evening to check if there is an emergency and then switch it off. Don't listen to music as you walk ... walk alone when you can, walk slow, take your time, and over the days the lack of those modern day connections, intrusions, will fall away and you will be THERE - living at that moment, at each moment - and yes, I so agree with Robo - prayers of gratefulness, living each day with openness, ready for those easily missed moments that fill us, just fill us.

Though - as we all know, even the most hurrying closed off pilgrim can be confronted with that 'other' moment - what a shock ;)

As for the use of 'magic' there is more than one way of using it - magic as in spells and witchcraft nonsense and also as in a magical moment ... they are not the same. It is the subtleties of the English language.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Okay, you twisted my arm :) A quick one:
I think it was day 6 on the Frances, heading to Estella, getting my Camino legs but not quite there yet. My new Camino friends were ahead or behind, not in sight, I was walking solo, as normal. It was a long, dusty hot day. Starting to feel a bit lonely, missing my wife and children back home and the thought came to me - I need a hug. At that very moment a farmer working his fields, probably 2-300 meters up the hill, stood up between his rows and yelled a big something in Spanish with a big friendly wave. Now I'm sure he sees hundreds of pilgrims everyday, why would he be so exuberant to me? That was my hug ... I laughed out loud and chuckled all the way into Estella. My Italian Camino friend used to say "Coincidences are God's way of staying anonymous". I'm not a religious man but there is something on the Camino, maybe magic?

The Camino Magic, for me, is the Duende of the Camino, you cannot explain it, but keeping an open mind and soul, you will expierience it somehow, maybe one time, maybe many times.
It makes you gratefull, and it makes me longing for walking the Camino again, when I am at home 🍀 🍀 🍀

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.