• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Ninja - Andy Jensen RIP

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very sad news. We saw this earlier but were trying to verify.
RIP Andy.

This was just posted-on
the American Pilgrims FB page.

..”Well folks, I have some deeply sad news to share from Spain. I am sorry to say that our dear friend Andy Max Jensen, AKA the Camino Ninja, or Ninja, has died. He was 49 years old. Andy’s body collapsed last week and his heart stopped in León, it was sudden and unexpected and he didn’t make it out alive. He loved what he did for the Camino and pilgrims around the world and he had plans for a good long life. It is the Camino’s great loss to lose a Legend so soon.

Andy (1973-2022) was the creator, founder, and full-time programmer of the Camino Ninja App. He built it from scratch after walking over 20,000 Camino kilometers tracking routes all throughout Spain, France, and Portugal.

Andy was fierce, strong, quick-witted, and unexpected. Andy was also an advocate: friend, confidante, pilgrim, and fellow wanderer. He loved deep conversation as much as a good laugh. Andy somehow “got it” and never took life too seriously.

Andy loved life—the adventure, always ready to challenge himself and the world—he was open to the deep intricacies of life’s perpetual and constantly shifting nature.

Andy was always ready to give the clothes off his back, the shoes off his feet, Camino tips and tricks, whatever people needed, if he had it he gave it freely. He was deeply giving and kind.

Andy was a computer programmer for over twenty years. Before that he worked in the music industry in Copenhagen. Andy captured memories in his photography, he had an eye for seeing the world. Andy is from Denmark originally but was a global citizen the past fifteen years, most recently spending his time tracking the Caminos in Portugal, France, and Spain.

And he lit up the world: his eyes spoke volumes and his friendly hug enveloped. Andy would walk for awhile, hear someone’s story, listen, chat, share. He could befriend folks from all backgrounds and walks of life.

Andy had friends and fellow pilgrims he connected with from all over the world—Spain, Korea, Italy, UK, US, South Africa, Argentina, Chile, Mozambique, Brazil, Mexico, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, Estonia, Canada, Japan—you name it—the whole world met on the Camino and for the past decade, the Camino was his world.

Andy built an empire from the ground up. He was a force to be reckoned with, yet also kind and empathic, a great friend to us all. He liked to see people happy and was deeply satisfied to know his ideas and work as the Camino Ninja made the journey a pleasant go for pilgrims along the Way. With 100 plus Caminos under his belt, Andy met people as they were, wherever they were at, and found great joy, love, and connection in conversation and friendship.

When in the zone, Andy didn’t walk, he’d
glide. There was a musicality to the way he moved, worked, played.

Over the last year Andy had grown consistently more recognized on the Camino—nearly every time he walked or took a pit stop there were excited pilgrims asking for selfies, happy to meet the Ninja. The app made people happy and he loved that. He took the effort to respond to each email individually and was adamant the app was free to all, businesses and pilgrims, with no advertising—he just wanted to make the best app that he could offer—logical, streamlined, convenient, and functional—the app he wanted for himself the first Camino 20,000 plus kilometers back and fifteen years ago.

Andy never pushed the Camino to be a particular way—everyone had an individual journey, transformation, story, and challenge to face head on along the path.

He loved all of you and loved your stories, your moments together, your notes, suggestions, frustrations, walking extra kms or stopping early, walking through the night, eating meals together, detours, late night chats. He loved everything about the Camino experience, how it could make us all connect. So thank you for being a part of his world fellow pilgrims, it really brought him so much joy.
Please share your own stories, photos, and memories of Andy in the comments. If you’d like to add your pics with him to his Instagram, Facebook, or App please do. Please share videos, photos, memories, or comments here or via PM that you would like to be shared in his service from León, Spain, details to be announced.

Andy loved the Camino, loved all of you—made all of the hard work worth it. Thank you for being a part of his journey. He will be very much missed. “…

Andy Max Jensen (January 1973-July 2022)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m reading elsewhere that the inventor of the Camino Ninja app has passed away while walking, in León.

That’s very sad news.

His astonishingly helpful app is his lasting legacy.
Just read the same on the Camigas Facebook site. Very sad. He was a legend and will remain so.
He replied to my email if thanks for his app after I returned from my first Camino this year and I hear he always replied to everyone.
I assume he was on Camino as he was in Leon. Buen Camino Andy

I wrote to him in April to thank him for the app after walking the English Way and got a near-instant response.

His dedication to supporting others on their Camino was extraordinary, and it seems as if he took no reward, other than the grateful thanks of people like us.

That means something.

Screenshot 2022-07-28 at 08.05.56.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I couldn't have done my first Camino this year without Andy's fantastic app. Although we never crossed paths, I felt as though I had a friend with me every step of the way. Buen Camino, Bom Caminho, Andy, and may you find heavenly paths to follow as you watch us from above. Rest in peace, Camino Ninja.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is devastating news. I met Andy this spring in León after crossing paths previously on the CF a few times and we had a pleasant conversation about … beards! (He said that despite his notoriety for being the author of the Camino Ninja app his beard was more famous than he was, and I told him that it was one I aspired to 🙂) We later corresponded about his app, which I had written him about to share how useful I was finding it on my walk (it was by far the one I turned to the most when planning my route every day) and to ask him why there wasn’t any information on the route from Triacastela to Sarria via San Xil. His answer was simple: he preferred walking via Samos, and I told him it would give me an excuse to walk the Camino again so I could experience that option as well. I hope to do it in his memory someday. Rest In Peace, pilgrim.

I’m reading elsewhere that the inventor of the Camino Ninja app has passed away while walking, in León.

That’s very sad news.

His astonishingly helpful app is his lasting legacy.
“For in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause: there’s the respect that makes calamity of so long life.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I never met Andy in person but I emailed him to thank him for the app after my return from the Camino Portugues last month.

We had a very interesting and funny back and forth over a few emails, lovely guy.

Too young to be gone, buen camino Andy

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So sad for his family and friends. What a service he provided for the pilgrim community with his wonderful app. May his memory be a blessing to those who knew him, and may his legacy long benefit those who take up the pilgrim's path.

Noooooo! I met him briefly last year. Such a lovely man. His app was GOLD on Camino. So helpful to keep me on the path and to direct me out of confusing cities. I am heartbroken over this.

Buen Camino Andy! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just read the same on the Camigas Facebook site. Very sad. He was a legend and will remain so.
He replied to my email if thanks for his app after I returned from my first Camino this year and I hear he always replied to everyone.
I assume he was on Camino as he was in Leon. Buen Camino Andy
He lived in Leon. It was his favorite city. Met him in May.

I found the app just a few days ago, and never met him in person. I am still experimenting with it, as an option instead of buying another printed guide book for my two or three weeks on the Frances this fall. I wonder if anyone else is able and willing to take it over to assist future pilgrims?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was astonished to receive a reply from Camino.Ninja when making a general enquiry about directions out of Vigo on this forum in June. A generous sole. RIP

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino Pilgrim.

I wonder if someone will take the reins of the Camino Ninja app to continue his legacy?

Many of you I have met on the Camino and many of you may know me from this thread.

Andy was my main inspiration for staying on the Camino for 15 months. Before I started that longer Camino, I had the pleasure of meeting Andy on one of my earlier month-long Caminos. I told him that I always missed the Camino when I went home and, after just a short conversation, he made me realise that the Camino was my home.

I met Andy many times within those 15 months. He offered me lots of advice and, more importantly, always had a gentle smile. A man who, from a distance, might appear to prefer to be left alone was instead one of the most approachable, easy-going people you could ever hope to meet.

Thank you my friend for all of your help, advice and more importantly your friendship. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

I read through the linked thread. As someone who was privileged to spend a year at UCD (50 years ago), I recognized it as a college name. I love my long camino walks, nearly three months has become my norm, as I don't have EU residency. Every year in the autumn, I walk, then home again as winter sets in. It was snowing when I took a bus to Madrid to fly home at the end of November last year. I value a roof over my head when the snow falls, but when it is fine, all day walking is good. Your long walks brought you into ongoing contact with an interesting character. He left this world too soon, for those of us who did not meet him, but I suppose that he would say that it was time to move on. I hope to be able to go on walking until my time in this world is up, and maybe be able to do some good along the way. In his honour, I may choose albergues from his list, as I walk my portion of the Frances this fall.

This was just posted-on

..”Well folks, I have some deeply sad news to share from Spain. I am sorry to say that our dear friend Andy Max Jensen, AKA the Camino Ninja, or Ninja, has died. He was 49 years old...

This was actually originally posted in the Camino Portuguese Facebook group and written by Christi Dietrich.

In another post she says that his memorial service is being planned and will happen in the next few weeks.

Sad news indeed 😢
I loved his great App, all was there you needed.
I never had the luxury to meet him in person, but he always will be with me on my next camino in his App and memory.
RIP Andy🕯️🙏

I had the honor of meeting Andy in Leon last month and spent several hours talking with him. He had rented an apartment there. One thing he mentioned is that walking the Camino is easier than not walking it. I didn't fully understand at the time exactly what he meant, but do now. He was such a kind, generous and wise soul. The Camino Ninja, truly a legend in his own time. Buen Camino, Andy.

Attachments

• IMG-20220616-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220616-WA0000.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 118
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
RIP Andy.

This was just posted-on

..”Well folks, I have some deeply sad news to share from Spain. I am sorry to say that our dear friend Andy Max Jensen, AKA the Camino Ninja, or Ninja, has died. He was 49 years old. Andy’s body collapsed last week and his heart stopped in León, it was sudden and unexpected and he didn’t make it out alive. He loved what he did for the Camino and pilgrims around the world and he had plans for a good long life. It is the Camino’s great loss to lose a Legend so soon.

Andy (1973-2022) was the creator, founder, and full-time programmer of the Camino Ninja App. He built it from scratch after walking over 20,000 Camino kilometers tracking routes all throughout Spain, France, and Portugal.

Andy was fierce, strong, quick-witted, and unexpected. Andy was also an advocate: friend, confidante, pilgrim, and fellow wanderer. He loved deep conversation as much as a good laugh. Andy somehow “got it” and never took life too seriously.

Andy loved life—the adventure, always ready to challenge himself and the world—he was open to the deep intricacies of life’s perpetual and constantly shifting nature.

Andy was always ready to give the clothes off his back, the shoes off his feet, Camino tips and tricks, whatever people needed, if he had it he gave it freely. He was deeply giving and kind.

Andy was a computer programmer for over twenty years. Before that he worked in the music industry in Copenhagen. Andy captured memories in his photography, he had an eye for seeing the world. Andy is from Denmark originally but was a global citizen the past fifteen years, most recently spending his time tracking the Caminos in Portugal, France, and Spain.

And he lit up the world: his eyes spoke volumes and his friendly hug enveloped. Andy would walk for awhile, hear someone’s story, listen, chat, share. He could befriend folks from all backgrounds and walks of life.

Andy had friends and fellow pilgrims he connected with from all over the world—Spain, Korea, Italy, UK, US, South Africa, Argentina, Chile, Mozambique, Brazil, Mexico, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand, Estonia, Canada, Japan—you name it—the whole world met on the Camino and for the past decade, the Camino was his world.

Andy built an empire from the ground up. He was a force to be reckoned with, yet also kind and empathic, a great friend to us all. He liked to see people happy and was deeply satisfied to know his ideas and work as the Camino Ninja made the journey a pleasant go for pilgrims along the Way. With 100 plus Caminos under his belt, Andy met people as they were, wherever they were at, and found great joy, love, and connection in conversation and friendship.

Over the last year Andy had grown consistently more recognized on the Camino—nearly every time he walked or took a pit stop there were excited pilgrims asking for selfies, happy to meet the Ninja. The app made people happy and he loved that. He took the effort to respond to each email individually and was adamant the app was free to all, businesses and pilgrims, with no advertising—he just wanted to make the best app that he could offer—logical, streamlined, convenient, and functional—the app he wanted for himself the first Camino 20,000 plus kilometers back and fifteen years ago.

Andy never pushed the Camino to be a particular way—everyone had an individual journey, transformation, story, and challenge to face head on along the path.

He loved all of you and loved your stories, your moments together, your notes, suggestions, frustrations, walking extra kms or stopping early, walking through the night, eating meals together, detours, late night chats. He loved everything about the Camino experience, how it could make us all connect. So thank you for being a part of his world fellow pilgrims, it really brought him so much joy.
Please share your own stories, photos, and memories of Andy in the comments. If you’d like to add your pics with him to his Instagram, Facebook, or App please do. Please share videos, photos, memories, or comments here or via PM that you would like to be shared in his service from León, Spain, details to be announced.

Andy loved the Camino, loved all of you—made all of the hard work worth it. Thank you for being a part of his journey. He will be very much missed. “…

What a wonderful exposition to memorialize such a special man.

This information about various memorial services has been posted by Christi Dietrich on several Camino Facebook groups.

(copy/paste from Facebook)

🥾 🗺 ☕️ Andy’s Memorial Fiesta Celebration & Camino Walk
Afterparty: August 14-21🕯 🌊 🌺 🐚 🌟

Itinerary: Santiago-Fisterra-Muxía 🌊 🙏 🪩 👋 🎧 🌬
When: Sunday August 14 to Sunday August 21 Sunday August 14: Santiago de Compostela

*Pilgrim’s Chapel English service 10:30 am (chapel inside the pilgrim’s office where you receive your compostela, Rúa das Carretas, 33, Santiago de Compostela)

*Pilgrim House Gathering & Celebration of Life, 2-5 pm/14-17 (to be confirmed, location may change, Rúa Nova, 19, Santiago) Monday, August 15: Santiago to A Pena

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 1, Santiago to A Pena (30 km)

*Community Dinner at Albergue Alto da Pena (Piaxe, 5, 15838 Negreira, A Coruña)
*alternatively walkers can stop in Negreira (21 km), walk part way and return, or walk beyond—it’s your Camino
*Note: For late walkers and folks staying in Santiago, August 15 is Assumption Day so the Main Cathedral will hold the Pilgrim’s Mass with the Botafumeiro!!! (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafumeiro); services will be held as they are everyday at 7:30 am, 9 am, 12, and 7 pm/19). Tuesday, August 16: A Pena to Olveiroa

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 2, A Pena to Olveiroa (25 km)
*Walk, run, bike, or bus at own pace, informal gathering at Casa Loncho 8 pm(Lugar Olveiroa, 25, 15151, A Coruña or casaloncho.com) Wednesday, August 17: Olveiroa to Cee

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 3, Olveiroa to Cee (19 km) Thursday, August 18: Cee to Fisterra 🐚

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 4, Cee to Fisterra/Finisterre (13 km) *enjoy the beach, relax 🌊 🏝 🐠 🌸 Friday, August 19: Lunch Party and Lighthouse Gathering at Sunset

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 5 (Fisterra Rest day + Cabo Walk to the top of the World) *Lunch Party at World Family 🌎 2-5 pm/14-17 (Calle la Coruña, 63, Fisterra)

*Sunset hike to Cabo Fisterra, km 0, meet at the top at 7 pm/19 Saturday, August 20: Fisterra to Muxía

*Camino a Fisterra-Muxía Walk Day 6 (28 km) *alternatively you can bus it, remember it’s your Camino, as you like 😌 🐢 🎒

Sunday, August 21: Muxía at the Rocks goodbye 💜 🤗 🌊 🛶⛅💜
*10 am at the Rocks: Muxía morning walk to Cruceiro do Santuario da Virxe da Barca: A final farewell at the rocks by the sea 📝 👋 🌊 and Mountain Vista procession

*12: dispersal and goodbyes

Sound like fun and you want to come along? Awesome 🤩 We would love to have you be a part of the Celebration 🍾 🎉 🤗

Please message in the comments or Facebook Messenger PM Christi Dietrich (pic with giraffes) to let us know you’ll make it to one or all of the events. You can also just show up but for coordination purposes it will be easier to have a headcount. I’ve made several accommodation reservations for each location and these will be distributed to friends of Andy first. Otherwise, the RESERVATIONS for each town are YOUR responsibility. Please reserve early as this is a popular time on the Santiago-Fisterra-Muxía Camino. If you can only make it to one place, that’s still great 😌 😃 You are welcome, however you are, to come join us in saying goodbye to Andy, the Camino Ninja 💫

Logistics: To not spam your inboxes, I will edit any changes to event times on this original listing so please bookmark it. I am only posting directly to the following Facebook forums: CAMIGAS, Camino Portuguese, American Pilgrims on the Camino, El Camino del Norte, and Camino de Santiago 2022/2023. Any other Forum or group that would like this information will have to be copied, pasted, and be forwarded by someone else (sorry, too much work for one person otherwise). Thank you for keeping updated.

One Side Note 📝: Commemorative Camino Ninja Glass Boxes will be placed in Camino Pilgrim shops or locales in León, Pamplona, and Santiago (and maybe Portugal and Copenhagen, where he’s from). In León, for example, his shoes will be at Armería Castro Deportes y Tienda del Peregrino (Calle La Rúa 6, León)—thanks Roberto y Carmela!—and if all goes as planned, a Camino commemorative marker of the Ninja will be placed on the Way (currently working with government authorities to make this happen). Hopefully this will be installed near the León Cathedral the week of September 21st, TBD. Updates will be posted on this feed here ⬆️

If YOU would like to do something for Andy, for example say you’re in another town or place and want to celebrate, feel free! Make magic! Live your truth, fall in love, dance, move, dust off those boots 🥾, 💥 CONNECT!!!💥 His legacy is your legacy, too—Do your thing, no one is stopping you on Your Way. 💗 Much love, fellow travelers 💗 Please be kind to yourself 💛 💛 💛

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
RIP Andy.

This was just posted-on

Did you verify? This is what I saw too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This information about various memorial services has been posted by Christi Dietrich on several Camino Facebook groups.

(copy/paste from Facebook)
Dear friends of Andy. Thank you for all the lovely stories about Andy. It means a lot to us and especially to Andys son Ole, who is 13 years old and has lost his dad far too early. Ole looks like Andy and is a good and loving boy who is proud of his father helping to walk the camino step by step. Warmest greetings from Ole and Oles mom Ulla, Denmak

Dear friends of Andy. Thank you for all the lovely stories about Andy. It means a lot to us and especially to Andys son Ole, who is 13 years old and has lost his dad far too early. Ole looks like Andy and is a good and loving boy who is proud of his father helping to walk the camino step by step. Warmest greetings from Ole and Oles mom Ulla, Denmak
Ole has a lot to be proud of.

There can be no greater achievement in life than to help others without reward, and that's what Andy did, for thousands of his fellow pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear Ulla and Ole, I am so sorry for your loss. Andy left us way too soon.

Store klemmer fra Santiago,
Ivar

Hi Ulla, My name is Christi Dietrich and I am a friend of Andy's. I am so so happy to see your note on Ivar's Camino forum. I’ve been trying to reach you for a long time but didn’t know your name so was unsuccessful. I messaged numerous Danish sources trying to reach you. I just sent you a personal message on Facebook with my contact info. I am so relieved you wrote to the forum. I wasn’t on here but someone told me you wrote in so I rejoined the forum to send this message to you. Please write, message, or call when you can, if you want. Andy’s service is tomorrow in Santiago. I have his ashes with me. They are yours if you and Ole want them. I also would like to give you and Ole the final Compostela certificate they are preparing for Andy for tomorrow. Feel free to call anytime day or night. What a great privilege if you and Ole could make it this week to the memorial. My deepest regret is not being able to get in touch sooner as his other direct family was contacted by the Spanish authorities but they were not able to contact you. I tried many routes to reach you. I am so thankful to find your note here. And am deeply sorry for you and Ole’s great loss. All the best, Christi

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Ulla, My name is Christi Dietrich and I am a friend of Andy's. I am so so happy to see your note on Ivar's Camino forum. I’ve been trying to reach you for a long time but didn’t know your name so was unsuccessful. I messaged numerous Danish sources trying to reach you. I just sent you a personal message on Facebook with my contact info. I am so relieved you wrote to the forum. I wasn’t on here but someone told me you wrote in so I rejoined the forum to send this message to you. Please write, message, or call when you can, if you want. Andy’s service is tomorrow in Santiago. I have his ashes with me. They are yours if you and Ole want them. I also would like to give you and Ole the final Compostela certificate they are preparing for Andy for tomorrow. Feel free to call anytime day or night. What a great privilege if you and Ole could make it this week to the memorial. My deepest regret is not being able to get in touch sooner as his other direct family was contacted by the Spanish authorities but they were not able to contact you. I tried many routes to reach you. I am so thankful to find your note here. And am deeply sorry for you and Ole’s great loss. All the best, Christi
If by chance you and Ole can make it to the memorial walk and services this week, I have made and paid for reservations for the whole walk and it would be my privilege to give you and Ole lodging along the way. All you have to do is get here, which is not easy I know, but if you need help with that, let me know and I’ll do my best.

I’ve reattached the Memorial Program information below. I know it’s last minute but if you can make it, let me know, I am saving two spots just in case.
—————
It’s updated 😁

🥾 🗺 ☕️ Andy’s Memorial Fiesta Celebration & Camino Walk Afterparty: August 14-21🕯 🌊 🌺 🐚 🌟

Itinerary: Santiago-Fisterra-Muxía 🌊 🙏 🪩 👋 🎧 🌬

When: Sunday August 14 to Sunday August 21

Sunday August 14: Santiago de Compostela

*Sunday at 10:30:
Pilgrim’s Chapel English service 10:30 am-11:30 am (chapel inside the pilgrim’s office where you receive your compostela, Rúa das Carretas, 33, Santiago de Compostela). This service will have a commemorative portion for Andy. Thanks to Fr. Rudolph and Fr. Manny in Santiago.

*Sunday at 12:00-14:00:
Pilgrim House Gathering & Celebration of Life (Rúa Nova, 19, Santiago). Note that this time changed from the original posting. It is 7 minutes walking time between the pilgrim’s office chapel and Pilgrim House.

*Pilgrim mass services in Spanish will be held in main Cathedral as they are everyday at 7:30 am, 9:30 am, 12, and 7:30 pm/19:30.

Monday, August 15: Santiago to A Pena

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 1, Santiago to A Pena (30 km)

*Community Dinner at Albergue Alto da Pena (Piaxe, 5, 15838 Negreira, A Coruña)
*alternatively walkers can stop in Negreira (21 km), walk part way and return, or walk beyond—it’s your Camino

*Note: For late walkers and folks staying in Santiago, August 15 is Assumption Day so the Main Cathedral will hold the Pilgrim’s Mass with the Botafumeiro at 11:40 am. Town hall procession and mass presided over by the Archbishop (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botafumeiro).

Tuesday, August 16: A Pena to Olveiroa

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 2, A Pena to Olveiroa (25 km)
*Walk, run, bike, or bus at own pace, informal gathering at Casa Loncho 8 pm(Lugar Olveiroa, 25, 15151, A Coruña or casaloncho.com)

Wednesday, August 17: Olveiroa to Cee

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 3, Olveiroa to Cee (19 km)

Thursday, August 18: Cee to Fisterra 🐚

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 4, Cee to Fisterra/Finisterre (13 km)

*enjoy the beach, relax 🌊 🏝 🐠 🌸

*Sunset Boat ride, free for 9 persons, 19:30-21:45, Ruta Puesta de Sol. Meet at Cruceros Fisterra off of Paseo Ribeira at 19:10. Thank you to infopoint.help for arranging this 🚤

Friday, August 19: Lunch Party and Lighthouse Gathering at Sunset

*Camino a Fisterra Walk Day 5 (Fisterra Rest day + Cabo Walk to the top of the World)

*Lunch Party at World Family 🌎 Friday 2-5 pm/14-17 (Calle la Coruña, 63, Fisterra). Thank you to Gerlyn and David at World Family for arranging this 😌 🥘 🌊

*Sunset hike to Cabo Fisterra, km 0, meet at the top at Friday at 7 pm/19

Saturday, August 20: Fisterra to Muxía
*Camino a Fisterra-Muxía Walk Day 6 (28 km)
*alternatively you can bus it, remember it’s your Camino, as you like 😌 🐢 🎒

Sunday, August 21: Muxía at the Rocks goodbye 💜 🤗 🌊 🛶⛅💜
*10 am at the Rocks: Muxía morning walk to Cruceiro do Santuario da Virxe da Barca: A final farewell at the rocks by the sea 📝 👋 🌊 and Mountain Vista procession
*12: dispersal and goodbyes

Sound like fun and you want to come along? Awesome 🤩 We would love to have you be a part of the Celebration 🍾 🎉 🤗 Please message in the comments or Facebook Messenger PM Christi Dietrich (pic with giraffes) to let us know you’ll make it to one or all of the events. You can also just show up but for coordination purposes it will be easier to have a headcount.

I’ve made several accommodation reservations for each location—please message if you would like a free spot!!! Yes, FREE! Andy wanted the Camino to be open for anyone wanting to walk. This is a small homage to that sentiment. If you want to walk, message and let’s make it happen!

If I don’t hear from you the RESERVATIONS for each town are YOUR responsibility. Please reserve early as this is a popular time on the Santiago-Fisterra-Muxía Camino. If you can only make it to one place, that’s still great 😌 😃 You are welcome, however you are, to come join us in saying goodbye to Andy, the Camino Ninja 💫

Logistics: To not spam your inboxes, I will edit any changes to event times on this original listing so please bookmark it. I am only posting directly to the following Facebook forums: CAMIGAS, Camino Portuguese, American Pilgrims on the Camino, El Camino del Norte, and Camino de Santiago 2022/2023. Any other Forum or group that would like this information will have to be cut, pasted, and be forwarded by someone else (sorry, too much work for one person otherwise). Thank you for keeping updated.

One Side Note 📝: Commemorative Camino Ninja Glass Boxes will be placed in Camino Pilgrim shops or locales in León, Pamplona, and Santiago (and maybe Portugal and Denmark, where he’s from). In León, for example, his shoes will be at Armería Castro Deportes y Tienda del Peregrino (Calle La Rúa 6, León)—thanks Roberto y Carmela!—and if all goes as planned, a Camino commemorative marker of the Ninja will be placed on the Way (currently working with government authorities to make this happen). Hopefully this will be installed near the León Cathedral the week of September 21st, TBD. Updates will be posted on this feed here ⬆️

If YOU would like to do something for Andy, for example say you’re in another town or place and want to celebrate, feel free! Make magic! Live your truth, fall in love, dance, move, dust off those boots 🥾, 💥 CONNECT!!!💥 His legacy is your legacy, too—Do your thing, no one is stopping you on Your Way. 💗 Much love, fellow travelers 💗 Please be kind to yourself 💛 💛 💛

Dear Christi. Thank you. Ole and I are trying to participate at Muxia 21. august. We are not able to participate the other days, but are wery greateful that you have planned this ceremony. We plan to fly to Porto and drive from there to Muxia. Andys family held a ceremony in Odense, Denmark at sunday 31. July, where Ole and I participated. I will try to get in contact with you before we are in Muxia. Kind regards from Ole and Ulla

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear Christi. Thank you. Ole and I are trying to participate at Muxia 21. august. We are not able to participate the other days, but are wery greateful that you have planned this ceremony. We plan to fly to Porto and drive from there to Muxia. Andys family held a ceremony in Odense, Denmark at sunday 31. July, where Ole and I participated. I will try to get in contact with you before we are in Muxia. Kind regards from Ole and Ulla
Amazing!!!!!!! So great to hear, Ole and Ulla. I rented a three bedroom house in Muxía the 20th through the 22nd. You and Ole are welcome to use it, there is plenty of space for you to feel comfortable if you like. I am glad I trusted my feeling that you would arrive—Thank you deeply for your reply. Tomorrow we begin the pilgrimage from Santiago to Finisterre to Muxía carrying Andy’s ashes with us. What a great gift of encouragement to know you two will be at the end of the journey to meet. This brings me a deep wellspring of joy. Tusind tak!! Safe journey, and please let me know if you can’t access my Facebook messages. Sending love and hugs from Santiago. Andy’s service was so beautiful today and the meeting after at Pilgrim House was wonderful, full of kind people sharing lots of stories, laughs, and tears remembering Andy, the Camino Ninja. I know you were with us in spirit. Looking forward to Muxía! Buen Camino Ole and Ulla :))

Many of you I have met on the Camino and many of you may know me from this thread.

Andy was my main inspiration for staying on the Camino for 15 months. Before I started that longer Camino, I had the pleasure of meeting Andy on one of my earlier month-long Caminos. I told him that I always missed the Camino when I went home and, after just a short conversation, he made me realise that the Camino was my home.

I met Andy many times within those 15 months. He offered me lots of advice and, more importantly, always had a gentle smile. A man who, from a distance, might appear to prefer to be left alone was instead one of the most approachable, easy-going people you could ever hope to meet.

Thank you my friend for all of your help, advice and more importantly your friendship. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Amén 🙏😌♥️
Buen Camino Andy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.