• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino Portugues in December - accomodation availabilty?

Conor

Hi everyone,

I recently completed the Camino Frances (Sarria to Santiago), and am seriously considering returning the second of week of December, to do the Camino Portugues from Porto. Does anyone have any advice or information on accomodation - the guidebook I recently bought ominously notes that 'many hotels will be closed'. Also, are the pilgrim hostels on the route open, or are they mostly seasonal?

Many thanks,

Conor

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Conor - also have a look at the new CSJ guide to this route:
http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

The guide book doesn't have the answer to your question but I think there is a sufficient range of accommodation along the way for there to be some open in December. I'd ask the local tourist offices and these are listed in the Guide. You can contact them by e mail.

I'd be very interested in what you find out - could you let me know please?

Regards

John

I have walked from Lisbon and am now in Valenca and have not had any trouble finding acommodation - mostly residencials, or inexpensive hotels. Rubiaes is the the stop after Ponte de Lima and it would be wise to call ahead, I stayed at O Repouso.. Residencial but the owner is sometimes out. oh, and expect rain.
Christine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
you will have no problem, i just completed the walk on december 1st, all alberques are open, some the door is left ajar and you wait for the hospitaliero to arrive, but most are open at 1pm....enjoy, no worries, ponte de lima has a very new alberque right of the medical bridge, in most of these i was the only peregrino staying the night.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back