Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

LIVE from the Camino The Camino Primitivo

Camino walkers love this gripping, intriguing, mystery with history novel.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015 and2016, Le Puy to Santiago 2017, Porto to Santiago 2018, Lisbon & Olvidado 2021
We started in Oviedo on 25 Sep, and have had an absolutely wonderful experience. Even enjoying a cloudless day yesterday to successful complete our Hospitales stage from Samblismo to La Mesa. We are currently in Castro after enjoying an excellent sopa pescadora (highly recommended) at the restaurant above the dam.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_084512740.jpg
    IMG_20211001_084512740.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20211001_100220355.jpg
    IMG_20211001_100220355.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 20
Past OR future Camino
We started in Oviedo on 25 Sep, and have had an absolutely wonderful experience. Even enjoying a cloudless day yesterday to successful complete our Hospitales stage from Samblismo to La Mesa. We are currently in Castro after enjoying an excellent sopa pescadora (highly recommended) at the restaurant above the dam.
Mike
Hey Mike. Any recommendations for an overnight tomorrow, we’ll take our first steps on the Primitivo the 8th.

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015 and2016, Le Puy to Santiago 2017, Porto to Santiago 2018, Lisbon & Olvidado 2021
Hostel la Hospederia, on path right at Cathedral. Really nice and clean, great showers, etc. We had a small enclave(loft) with two beds but domitory is not overly large and basic breakfast provided. Enjoy. We are in Lugo and tomorrow heading off track to Friol and then Sobrado to join Norte folks. Weather is really looking good. Mike

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Past OR future Camino
Hostel la Hospederia, on path right at Cathedral. Really nice and clean, great showers, etc. We had a small enclave(loft) with two beds but domitory is not overly large and basic breakfast provided. Enjoy. We are in Lugo and tomorrow heading off track to Friol and then Sobrado to join Norte folks. Weather is really looking good. Mike
Thanks for the recommendation! We’re right behind you🤣we’re slooow strollers.
Buen Camino!

peregrina2000

Staff member
We are in Lugo and tomorrow heading off track to Friol and then Sobrado to join Norte folks.
Which route to Friol are you taking? The variant via Santa Eulalia (4th century Roman wonder) or through Cota? I took the former a while ago and though the visit to Santa Eulalia was great, the rest of the route was all on the road. The tracks wanted to take me off road but a shephard I met told me the descent was bad and the track was unkempt. I’ll be interested to hear what you find.

From Friol to Sobrado is quite nice, though I was surprised we got on the side of the road on the Norte at least 6 or 7 kms before Sobrado. From Sobrado, another 6 km takes you to a very nice new albergue in Madelos. Abeiro da Loba. Really quite beautiful ”eco” construction, preserving the walls of the young man’s grandparents’ home. I had a private room, and the albergue rooms looked very nice too.

Attachments

• 4FF2062A-9368-41DB-8C28-ABC279DCD745.jpeg
    4FF2062A-9368-41DB-8C28-ABC279DCD745.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
  • EBD744EB-2DAA-4374-B77B-AEC1066A1F25.jpeg
    EBD744EB-2DAA-4374-B77B-AEC1066A1F25.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 10E887DB-71DA-4794-98CC-9F4CDEEEDA4C.jpeg
    10E887DB-71DA-4794-98CC-9F4CDEEEDA4C.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 11
Past OR future Camino
Hi. We are doing the Cota route as it seemed less road but hard to tell. But Cota it is. Regarding Sabrado, we have already booked into Hotel San Marcus as the monetary was not available and we will be at our max distance. Thanks for info though. From everything I have read, it should be an interesting walk. Mike

Past OR future Camino
Future
Thinking about starting the Primitivo on the 20th. Single female… any tips or warnings? Are there a lot of pilgrims this time of the year? Any issues with finding overnight stays? It will be my first Camino and I am very nervous. Is there a way to stay connected to other pilgrims that may start at the similar time?

Past OR future Camino
Hi, we left the Primativo at Lugo and crossed over to the Camino del Norté via the Verde route. On the Primativo, we were surprised by the numbers, not large but there were people. Mostly Spaniards in small mixed gender groups, a few small groups of older men, a single German woman, a couple of single men, but overall very pleasant and friendly people. We met most in villages in evenings. We booked ahead by email or text msg but a couple we txt or called on the day with no problem. We did not find accommodation to be a problem. My dealing would be you would be very safe. Small farming villages for most part as well as Oviedo, Lugo and a medium size town, all seemed to be respectful. We walked distances of 20-25 km, 30 on hospital day and kept seeing same folks on and off. But all in all, I think you would enjoy this path. You should also download the Alertcops app and have a phone with sim card. Phone reception was almost 100% with only one small village without a signal before Lugo, better than Canada. Mike

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Past OR future Camino
Well, on this question I am an expert. The answer is yes, you can get by. First, I know minimum Spanish, cafe con leche, jamon, queso, menu, ensalada, etc. Second, show respect, I assume the role of visitor. Third, and importantly, I use Google LENS translation app and Google translate. The LENS app lets you take a picture in the app, say of a menu list, and it actually provides a translation. The regular Google translate permits me to formulate a request or whatever and show the person or send in txt/email. Never a problem and everything works out with patience and remembering item 2, I am the visitor. I do a lot better in France due to French schooling, but zero issues in Spain. Most young folks in Spain have some English as well. Hope that helps. Mike

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads