• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino will be waiting...Australians

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I thought I'd start a thread for those of us locked in, and feeling a bit despondent about camino's planned and abandoned, or because we are treading water while others are able to make solid plans.

I'm in Sydney, so even long walks here are out for the moment. My one pleasure is trawling through old photographs, and yesterday I gave a Zoom presentation, with a powerpoint, to a big group, and that was rather fun. I do think we are blessed that we have the technology to let us engage with others, and to distract us.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have chosen my route, my pack is ready, the date is set.

Just waiting so we can get our vaccinations ramped up and consequent reasonable post-COVID society clarified, including freedom to travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Sydney, so even long walks here are out for the moment. My one pleasure is trawling through old photographs, and yesterday I gave a Zoom presentation, with a powerpoint, to a big group, and that was rather fun. I do think we are blessed that we have the technology to let us engage with others, and to distract us.
You're absolutely right, @Kanga: the technology is such a blessing.
I'm in not in A, but equally stuck in place - at least until next year, living one day at a time.
The Forum keeps me sane as does walking in place.
Hang in there amigas and amigos. We will get there. Eventually.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was going to walk with the Blue Mountains group in September, from Penrith up to Blackheath. Sadly that is now postponed until November. At least.

Yes, the Camino is not going anywhere. And I know the joy will be sharpened, when we do go back, by having a few years away.

So, to keep the spirits up, Robo is planning, and I bought myself a new backpack a few weeks ago. I'm tempted to fill it and walk around here, doing my daily "exercise". Just for fun.

My one pleasure is trawling through old photographs
My darling slow walker and I are reliving our 2018 Camino, from where she was born in Switzerland to SdC, day by day looking at the photos we took, reading our journals and reminiscing. What a wonderful experience we had!

Hang in there amigas and amigos. We will get there.
Definitely! The virtual Caminos have been great in helping us to keep our spirits up.

But the Camino is not going anywhere
And it will be waiting for us!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Planning, planning, planning..........
March/April 2022 was looking good.
But maybe not.
Guess it will be 2023.

But the Camino is not going anywhere :)
I have to ask why have your 2022 plans changed to 2023? My Australian hiking partner had to put our Wales Coast Path walk from 2020 to 2022. I wanted to go in May 2022, he said he could not leave the country until after July so it is now set for August 2022. Have things changed?

I thought I'd start a thread for those of us locked in, and feeling a bit despondent about camino's planned and abandoned, or because we are treading water while others are able to make solid plans.

We won’t open up until most people are vaccinated so convince all your friends to do so. I am lucky I obtained an exemption after 3 tries and am in the USA visiting grandchildren. I have my backpack and hiking gear with me and plan to walk in October.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have to ask why have your 2022 plans changed to 2023? My Australian hiking partner had to put our Wales Coast Path walk from 2020 to 2022. I wanted to go in May 2022, he said he could not leave the country until after July so it is now set for August 2022. Have things changed?
It’s all speculative and none of us know. Certainly there was a change in the rollout of vaccines because of questions about AstraZeneca for young people and that has put things behind. We have a largely unvaccinated population at the moment and so opening the borders would be risky..

There are others around the world who are sad and feel for all of you. I was so looking forward to walking the VDLP with a fantastic couple from Australia that I met in the winter of 2019 on the CF. We were going to do it last year and now this year. But alas..... I will be doing it alone. We are still talking and will walk a camino together in 2022. Which one I don't know but I will walk with my Aussie friends soon. This is for sure!

2023 Camino for my 70th Birthday....here I come!!!
Unless, of course, I can get there sooner...
tomorrow would be good!!!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

And I am so happy to have this forum to keep memories alive. I do not think I will walk another Camino now, but can still live it vicariously through the forum.

Thank you for starting this ANZ thread @Kanga . We have been thinking of you and other parts since the Delta outbreaks.

Like Australia we are hoping our vaccination roll out picks up pace, it seems to be here. Both me and Tim have now had both shots and feel very fortunate.

As others have mentioned for us trawling our memories and evoking them on local walks has been a great comfort. I too feel very grateful pilgrim communities can virtually connect.

Hopefully we can leave for the Camino in May 2022 and for now we try to use Camino time concepts to help us keep the faith. For us, a big part of that meaning anything is the privilege to develop deeper friendships with fellow pilgrims, albeit virtual ones.

Imagine when some us get to meet in person.❤️😃 ‘Oh, you are tall!’ etc 😃.Take care, take heart, Catherine and Tim.

Planning, planning, planning..........
March/April 2022 was looking good.
But maybe not.
Guess it will be 2023.

But the Camino is not going anywhere :)
I am also in Aust, but on the other side of the country - not locked in at present, but still unable to leave our shores. I am keeping the Camino alive via my FB groups and sorting through my many Camino photos. We can but dream. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was going to walk with the Blue Mountains group in September, from Penrith up to Blackheath. Sadly that is now postponed until November. At least.

Yes, the Camino is not going anywhere. And I know the joy will be sharpened, when we do go back, by having a few years away.

So, to keep the spirits up, Robo is planning, and I bought myself a new backpack a few weeks ago. I'm tempted to fill it and walk around here, doing my daily "exercise". Just for fun.
I was also booked to go on that walk in The Blue Mountains Kanga and so much looking forward to it. I will not be able to join it if it is on in November so I will just have to continue to walk locally and Dream.

In Central Qld so we haven’t been affected as much as others. We were hopeful for October, now March…. The Camino may always be there, but we may not be. Age and health can be barriers, as I have ruefully discovered in the last six months. Second vaccine shot due in 3 weeks…. If only people would get vaccinated and abide by the lockdowns…. If only the vaccine rollout had been handled better …. Anyway, it’s fun going through the backpack every few weeks. 👣🎒🍷

Good thought Kanga,
Perhaps we can swap suggestions between locals on how to keep things ticking over.
I'm lucky to be in Gippsland. Wilsons Prom, The Strzeleckies, and Ninety Mile Beach are all within cooee. Local bushwalking clubs abound and between intermittent spates of lockdown I've been able to get out a few times.
Say G'day to Tony & Ce for me if you do get up to the BM Group's walk.
Digger

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
By golly - there are a lot of Aussie Camino addicts on this forum.

Like everyone else, we are waiting, waiting and doing some more waiting. Fingers crossed for 2022.

The problem is that whilst our Camino plans are stalled, our age is not - time seems to be rolling on and old age is now in sight! Go away old age!!! If this keeps up much longer, I'll be needing a stretcher bearer. :)

But, in the meantime, there is Youtube, and keeping fit, and planning and reading and fossicking for gems of wisdom on this forum. Daily Duolingo Spanish lessons of course as well. Hola!!

If you are interested in one day doing the Via Francigena, you could follow the adventures or more aptly, misadventures of a delightful New Zealand woman on a series called the Wonderful World of Wendy.

Wendy is currently walking this route and posting videos as she goes. The quality of the videos is variable, however her videos are authentic and warm and it's great to see a person bravely tackling the Via and recording her adventures, warts and all as she goes.

We are up to Day 20, I think and are enjoying Wendy's videos while we wait, train, ponder, and dream.

Cheers to all

Graham and Annette from Tyalgum Creek, Northern NSW.

My plan for my 3rd, probably Via de la Plata, was hoped for 2020, then 2021. Now looking at May 2022 but I've got good at rolling things on. I do manage some short local walks when lockdowns and commitments permit. Best so far has been 6 days on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail staying at pubs and B&Bs.

I do sometimes walk around the house with my backpack. Also in and out of lockdown in NE Victoria. But at least there are some great walks close by.
Do you honestly think we will be able to leave Australia ( or easily return) by next year? I hope so but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A group of us who met on the Blue Mountains 5 day walk last year have set a challenge to walk daily and send photos. It’s interesting what we are learning about what is on on doorstep - within 10kms of our own homes of course. There’s a promise of a weekend away when we are out of lockdown. It’s keeping us connected even though we can’t meet in person or walk together up in the mountains

Thanks Kanga for this thread. It’s nice to be able to join others in the frustration about not being able to leave our shores. Planning for 2022 but as you said Robo I hope it’s not 2023 , but who knows!!!!! I’m not getting any younger neither . It’s all a bit depressing howerever on the bright side I’ve had both my jabs. Hooray!

Hi @Kanga. I feel a sense of "homesickness" whenever I catch a glimpse of my trusty backpack, and we have, in the past, filled ours with odds and ends just to go for a walk. My husband and I have been walking a 200km trail called the Goldfields Trail, from Buninyong to Bendigo. Its beautiful and rugged, so very australian. It has gone a long way to taking away our disappointment of not being in Spain in 2021. Thanks for this thread.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Waititng, waiting, hoping .
I usually do a yearly walk overseas.
Have last 3rd of Via Postumia to finish , from Piacenza to Genoa.
Maybe next year
I am at the pointy end age wise , cant wait for too long 😁😁😁😁
Cheers
Walkmag

All due to (A) vaccination rates and (B) opening up for International travel. I'm planning a March VdlP.
It could be mid 2022 before A and B allow it.
So 2023 is a safer bet.
I do sometimes walk around the house with my backpack. Also in and out of lockdown in NE Victoria. But at least there are some great walks close by.

Do you honestly think we will be able to leave Australia ( or easily return) by next year? I hope so but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I agree. I just think 2023 is a 'safer' bet.

Like many, age and health do not help.
But my next Camino, whenever it is, will just need to match my abilities.

Last edited:
I am fully vaccinated and I could head off for another Camino but like most Kiwis I am choosing not to. I am instead really enjoying learning and benefiting from the group input on @VNwalking s virtual Caminos.

I will re-evaluate things later in the year for a possible April-June 2022 Camino.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all, I’m in Brisbane lockdown.... my planned 4th Camino in 2020 was cancelled, I had hoped for 2021, hope quickly dried up.... fingers crossed for the VdLP November 2022... maybe I need to cross more than fingers! I had my second AZ yesterday, didn’t hesitate when it became available for my age group, I felt the benefits far outweighed the risks for me and my community (health bodies have since changed their recommendations here in Aus, unfortunately alternatives are in low supply). This forum keeps me in touch, I think daily of my long Spanish “walking meditations”, my new smaller Aarn pack waits patiently, small carry on packed (I stay a little longer post Camino). The beautiful Boondal Wetlands suffice for the moment, just no boccadillos, tapas and cerveza options 😋... I’m even locked out of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail!

Stay safe everyone, I hope to meet some on the way next year 🙏🤞😷

I walked the Bondi to Manly at Easter. A lovely walk around the harbor. It was 80klms and we did it in four days.

I hope everyones dreams come true, but at 72, I have now been waiting 2 years to walk my 5th. Camino and visit my friends, but only time will know when and where. It maybe easier to get out of Australia than get back in it is all up to the airlines and schedules along with prices. What will be will be I feel for those that have suffered from this virus.

Thank you for the Aussie related thread, I do enjoy reading other’s thoughts. My first Camino was planned for 2020, then again this year, of course both cancelled. I am fully vaccinated too and am desperate to travel. I sure hope we are allowed out by June 2022🤞It becomes increasingly hard remaining optimistic sometimes, but I do hold out hope when I read the forums. It’s true about our age, regardless of our fitness levels, we are missing out on so much valuable time. I will be yearning for mid next year, thanks all for your comments.

2023 Camino for my 70th Birthday....here I come!!!
Unless, of course, I can get there sooner...
tomorrow would be good!!!!!
That inspires me a bit, YvonneR, I will be 70 in '23 as well. I had planned a pilgrimage to Jerusalem in 2020, followed by the Chemin d'Arles, but that was postponed...and postponed again. Even our Friends of the Camino St James dinner last month was postponed! But, I'm fully vaccinated now, retiring end of November. I'm still hoping for 2022, but 2023 will be ok, too, if must be then. 70 is a good age, right?

We had plans to walk: me VdlP in March 2020, my wife CF at same time7, meeting in Astorga to walk the last stage together. Alas we all know what happened to that plan! Still hoping for 2022 but as already discussed, this is looking only a small possibility at this stage waiting for 80% vaccination before the walls of Fortress Oz are lowered. We are vaccinated but are still waiting for some government level discussion of how vaccination can allow earlier travel as an incentive to get the 'jab'. I did manage to get a bike ride in from Rockhampton to Ipswich in earlier in the year but our planned trek on the Larapinta Trail out of Alice Springs in July was cancelled due to lockdowns. So far two strikes out of three major plans. We have also done some overnights on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail but it seems that longer treks and the Camino are still very much a matter of guesswork and hopeful planning 🤞

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Reading all your stories, I feel so sad. I know what it’s like to be in lockdown albeit yours is probably longer 🙁 Ours in the UK was long enough…
I escaped… but all good things come to an end and now I have to try and go back home!😱😳
I so heartily wish for an end to all this, thinking of you all 🙏💕

I had planned to walk my second Camino last year, from Montserrat to SdC. Things got cancelled. Now, I don't know when I will get to walk my next Camino. At least I can keep planning. I'm now toying with the idea of walking from Cap de Creus (Spain's easternmost point in the Mediterranean) to Cabo Finisterre.

I live in Warburton in the Upper Yarra Valley east of Melbourne and there are many long walking trails outside my front door - the Lilydale-Warburton Rail Trail and the O'Shannassy Aqueduct to name a few. This August I have decided to walk everyday and imagine where I would be if I was walking the Camino Frances from StJPdP. In the last 3 days I have walked 47 kilometres on the Rail Trail so last night I imagined that I had reached Zubiri. Today it is raining so I may be staying in Zubiri for a while!

Buen Camino,
Alan

You could try walking the Larapinta Trail end to end , once the NT is satisfied that NSW has its COVID outbreak under control...

Physically, probably harder than a Camino, and the albergues and bars are non-existent, but at 16-20 days end to end, it is a fair substitute for a Camino, with none of the risks of COVID infection...

I too was looking forward to the BM walk at the end of September and am sorry to hear that @susanawee will no longer be able to join in the fun.
A Camino being off the cards (and I have doubts about 2022 as well) and seriously missing multi-day walking with no time frame attached, I searched for opportunities closer to home. A friend and I walked from Penrith to Blackheath in April and then in May I stayed in a hotel in the city for a few days while I walked from Bondi to Manly. I highly recommend both walks when restrictions are lifted. In fact, they gave me a new appreciation for the beautiful city in which I had the good fortune to be born.
Unfortunately I was not so lucky with my timing of a planned trip to Uluru and am now in possession of a credit for an expensive Qantas ticket.
I'm not actively planning a particular Camino. Invariably I feel a pull toward a particular route a few months before setting off. In a life that is quite ordered, I love the randomness and unpredictability of the Camino route choosing me rather than my choosing it.
@Kanga I feel for you - there's only so many times you can open all the zippers and plan what's going where before a new backpack demands to be broken in.
Being in lockdown isn't a great deal of fun but thank goodness for technology. I do a weekly Spanish conversation exchange via Skype, am dabbling with Italian on Duolingo and YouTube videos and regularly share morning tea with a friend via WhatsApp.

I walked the Bondi to Manly at Easter. A lovely walk around the harbor. It was 80klms and we did it in four days.
Yes, I've walked from the lighthouse at Palm Beach to Manly, then round the harbour to the bridge, across the bridge and out to Watson's Bay, and from there down to Maroubra. I did it over a week or so, using public transport or getting dropped off to get to and from my starting and finishing points each day. It is a beautiful walk, we really do have a glorious coastline, and, like the Camino, with plenty of coffee stops along the way!

I live on the Central Coast NSW and next year will move to Newcastle - 70km away. I expect the vaccination rates to hit the right % before October 2022 so planning for a Pamplona departure on 1 October. Fortunately my life as evolved to match the Camino opportunities that are potentially available.

€46,-
I live on the Central Coast NSW and next year will move to Newcastle - 70km away. I expect the vaccination rates to hit the right % before October 2022 so planning for a Pamplona departure on 1 October. Fortunately my life as evolved to match the Camino opportunities that are potentially available.

Thanks Kanga for this thread. It is interesting to hear from so many Australians and New Zealanders.

We are from Cape Bridgewater near Portland in the south west of Victoria near the South Australian border.
Time is marching on for us to, we are not getting any younger and as so many others comment our health is the main factor of concern. We are both fully vaccinated and even looking forward to getting a booster early next year if possible! Our plans for walking a Camino in 2020 and 2021 didn't happen, we are still hopeful that we might be able to walk from May 2022 but will just have to wait and see!

Last year we managed to walk the inland part of the Great South West Walk from Portland to Nelson doing day walks, driving from our home to our start point everyday. We did it mainly during winter and were very lucky with the weather. It was great. We have now walked nearly 95% of the GSWW, having walked the Aussie Camino in 2015. We try and walk daily from our doorstep as we actually live on the GSWW, so have a wonderful choice of beautiful walks available to us all the time.

We managed a month away in June/July this year and visited family in NSW and Canberra, we had also planned on visiting Sydney for four days and walking there but COVID didn't let us do this, we ended up going to Bermagui for four days instead, had a great visit and did lots of walking. We returned home just before Victoria made NSW into a red zone, so we didn't have to isolate, we got a negative COVID test on our return, thank goodness.

We both yearn to be able to walk in Spain again, talk about it frequently (daily) ;) and are always planning!

We are very grateful for this forum, which has helped us to keep sane over the last 18 months.

We wish everyone Buen Camino and Ultreia.
Anne & Pat

Delta variant is one factor, from near zero cases we are starting to get significant numbers in big cities. At present, our borders are closed: Australians may not leave the country (except for exceptional/compassionate reasons, and both are hard to get). There seems to be no immediate prospect of that changing. The only bright prospect is that vaccination rates (and supplies of vaccine) are finally on the increase. But we are not holding our breath.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For a big, modern city, Sydney has an amazing number of little pockets of bushland and waterside walks. We have a 10 km radius to move around in, so quite a bit of scope. We walk along the Cook's River, Wolli Creek, Callan Park (and I can almost see you lot poring over Google Maps to see where we live!), and just walking around the city - checking out the buildings is fun. We also have sessions of alternately reading our diaries and looking at our photos. Thanks to Kanga for starting the thread. How about, when we do our 'essential daily exercise' we put a camino shell or a badge somewhere on our backpack or shirt?. We can't stop and chat, but we can smile and wave at each other, and it will give us something to do. In the meantime, hasta la vista, y buen camino.

Hi Kanga,
Thankyou for starting this thread.

I wish I was paying attention because I would have attended your Zoom session! I too am planning and planning and during my daily exercise hours I am wandering around my suburb (Bondi) with a fully loaded backpack. I leave at 0500 every morning and pretend that I am on the Meseta, leaving early to escape the heat (despite being rugged up ;) ). I also walked part of the Bondi to Manly last year and loved it.

I can't wait until the world opens back up to us. I have two routes planned depending on how much time I can get off/if I quit my job. (Frances for the third time if I have limited time and if I quit my job, I will walk from Almeria to Muxia - the long way!)

I have been reading Camino books and trawling through blogs and photos to keep my hope alive. I am sorting out my sleep system and trying out new shoes. I am keeping mental notes of my packing list and creating more and more hacks to get that fully dialed too.

I am doing a World Walker Virtual Camino and logging my steps. I am currently in Najera. I'm also taking a Sydney Community College Spanish class via Zoom.

These things are keeping me sane while I wait. And I wait with hope.

I have chosen my route, my pack is ready, the date is set.
There is a (high ? ) probability that it might be impractical or a little foolish to do a Camino next year so I will have to age a little more before I go.

The years are running out. As a contingency I have been exploring the idea of walking from the far west of Victoria to home in Melbourne, without a tent. Staying in what remains of the historically vast numbers of country pubs, or motels. A long Victorian Bushwalk - not the sort of walk you find doing a google search. I don't use the word Camino for this - it doesn't feel right. To Penola is perhaps a Camino, at a pinch, but I am not doing that.

5 - 600 kms or so over a month. Portland via Warnambool near the coast then inland perhaps. Or starting further north inland? The few hours I have spent exploring Google Earth and Maps seem to have confirmed my assumption this is not possible with manageable kms / day.

Anyone with knowledge or ideas of possibly routes? Perhaps a few nights in an ultralight swag.

I wish I was paying attention because I would have attended your Zoom session!
I'm assuming this was a zoom session for a NSW Camino group. I miss our weekly forum zoom meeting for Aussies and Kiwis (and Europeans). I can't attend the current forum zoom meetings because of the time difference. Maybe we could try and reinstate zoom meetings at a convenient Australian/New Zealand time, maybe not weekly, but fortnightly, so that we can stay in touch and support each other.

We are both fully vaccinated and even looking forward to getting a booster early next year if possible!
I was reading about whether we could travel with our current Covid vaccines. It appears that our AstraZeneca vaccine is not -yet- automatically recognised in Europe. This is discussed in this article:

I'm certainly getting a Pfizer booster before I go.

The few hours I have spent exploring Google Earth and Maps seem to have confirmed my assumption this is not possible with manageable kms / day.
I found the same thing: it's hard to walk manageable kms without a support crew. Or without carrying a tent and food.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm another addict from WA. I'll be 75 next May and feel like I'm going downhill without my yearly Caminos.
Praying that next April I can get on a plane to visit my family in Scotland and then a 2 month Camino in Spain. Please Santiago....

Daily Duolingo Spanish lessons of course as well.
Me too! Just ONE lesson every morning before I get out of bed. Takes 5 minutes. Not much, but a few words, grammar and sentences are beginning to sink in, so I think it is working. A brilliant app.

I'm locked down in Sydney, impatiently watching the vaccination numbers rising and hoping that the borders will open up in time for a Camino next April/May (Portuguese/Finisterre from Porto or San Salvador/Primitivo). Optimistic I know, but with the current vaccination rate they're predicting everyone will be vaccinated by early January, so not totally impossible. I'm also bingeing on other pilgrim's Caminos on Youtube, any Camino book I can get my hands on, and I had the hair-brained idea of running the Frances on my treadmill (I should be in Viana this afternoon), so when things do open back up, I'll certainly be match fit! Anyway, hope you're all safe wherever you are, and Ultreia, y'all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm locked down in Sydney, impatiently watching the vaccination numbers rising and hoping that the borders will open up in time for a Camino next April/May (Portuguese/Finisterre from Porto or San Salvador/Primitivo). Optimistic I know, but with the current vaccination rate they're predicting everyone will be vaccinated by early January, so not totally impossible. I'm also bingeing on other pilgrim's Caminos on Youtube, any Camino book I can get my hands on, and I had the hair-brained idea of running the Frances on my treadmill (I should be in Viana this afternoon), so when things do open back up, I'll certainly be match fit! Anyway, hope you're all safe wherever you are, and Ultreia, y'all.
Here's one of the Invierno, a variant off the Francés. Hope you enjoy it.

Same here... but I have low expectations.

Two factors operating:
  1. Local borders opening - and I cannot see that happening whilst COVID rages around the world and there are still 30,000+ Australians registered for assistance in returning (limited scheduled flights, high costs and restricted quarantine opportunities); and while Australia has low vaccination rates (70% of the 'eligible' population equates to just 56% of the entire population) and sporadic outbreaks of Delta)
  2. COVID still raging across Spain and Portugal. I appreciate that the major areas affected appear to be distant from the Caminos, and I arther doubt tha tone wil get approval to leave Australia to go to areas so badly affected...

€46,-

I was down for that walk too. Have re-booked accommodation for November. Here's hoping!

Like Robo, I feel 2023 is more realistic - but so Far Awaay! Earlier this year I was optimistically hoping for 2022, but the world still has so many Covid issues - plus if I leave there's no guarantee I can get back to NZ.
I normally don't plan my Caminos that much - but this time, I've already started to look at accommodation!

I managed to sneak in a Camino reunion walking weekend in the Southern Highlands with my two Camino Buddies I met out on the road in 2018. Currently we are lockdown distanced but we had a lovely little walking weekend in May. One of my buddies lives close enough to have enjoyed non lockdown day walks over the past 12 months. Heres hoping the Bondi to Manly will still be on as we have planned for end October. Two of us cancelled the Via Francigena last year. I now think that mini caminos here in Aus will be our 2022 teaser and the next big event 2023.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In latest news, Melbourne enters its sixth lockdown for the next 7 days.

All due to (A) vaccination rates and (B) opening up for International travel. I'm planning a March VdlP.
So 2023 is a safer bet.
I agree with @Robo , as long as the vaccination rates stay low, we'll have snap lockdowns, and borders will remain closed.

Stay safe, peregrin@s!

Sadly there is no way of knowing when any Australian can leave this country for a leisure trip at this point. Most of us here seem to think 2023 is more likely given the turn of events here and in the world outside. But nothing is known ...

My husband and I have been walking a 200km trail called the Goldfields Trail, from Buninyong to Bendigo. Its beautiful and rugged, so very australian.
Hi, I’m in Melb and have been searching for a decent local “Camino”. How much of this Trail is on roads vs track please.

Love the thread, I’m not alone haha

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, that was my thought in opening the thread.
Inspirational, thanks Kanga.

I looked at bringing the Pyrenees into the picture and after crossing a range, head into Meseta like country on the western plains.
Start at say Avoca and tracking over the range via Glenpatrick to finish a day at Elmhurst Pub. I was pleased with that.

It then it looked like bitumen roads only and with long miles between towns so I put the project down for another day.
Not a very Camino-like finish unfortunately.

You could try walking the Larapinta Trail end to end , once the NT is satisfied that NSW has its COVID outbreak under control...

Physically, probably harder than a Camino, and the albergues and bars are non-existent, but at 16-20 days end to end, it is a fair substitute for a Camino, with none of the risks of COVID infection...
We were lucky enough to walk the Larapinta in June between the lockdowns.
It was amazing but we can’t compare it with our Camino’s.
It was the hardest walk we have done, 16 days of rocks, hills, boulders, dry river beds, more rocks, zig zagging up and down vertical ridges, more rocks, more hills, no showers and drop toilets at the end of the stages.
But we had the best time walking through this ancient varied landscape. 🥾😁🥾😁
We went with Trek Larapinta. They do other tours and can highly recommend them. 😊😊
We used our Camino packs and even had a small shell on mine.
Our planned Norte Camino for 2020 will be who knows when?? ☹️☹️

Attachments

• AD722B15-9DBE-406F-A3C5-0B0453F244B6.jpeg
    AD722B15-9DBE-406F-A3C5-0B0453F244B6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 9B624515-1948-41B5-A980-5D21A9102481.jpeg
    9B624515-1948-41B5-A980-5D21A9102481.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • B18A79A2-8AEA-408F-A7B4-1876D8894498.jpeg
    B18A79A2-8AEA-408F-A7B4-1876D8894498.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 0F056C93-958B-4CA9-8AA7-866F869C4D11.jpeg
    0F056C93-958B-4CA9-8AA7-866F869C4D11.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Hello from Adelaide😊 We aren't currently in lockdown (had a brief one a couple of weeks ago) but that could all change at any time. I have holidays booked for May/June next year for the Portuguese from Lisbon but realistically feel that that wont happen til 2023. We cancelled our trip to the UK last year to walk Hadrien's Wall then north up St Oswald's Way to Lindesfarne. Now I should have been on the Larapinta Trail for my 60th birthday (yesterday!) but had to cancel due to my daughter's cardio-thoracic surgery so am helping to mind 4 grandchildren instead. My husband and I had done this trail in 2019 as independent hikers so know how challenging it is - I have never seen so many rocks/stones/boulders in my life! Epic, tho, with amazing scenry. Had also planned a week in Sydney to catch up with my sister in NZ but with the travel bubble with NZ paused and State border closures/covid situation that is cancelled too. (more flight credits!) Did manage a week of day walks with one overnight on my own (first time!) on the Heysen Trail from Parachilna Gorge almost to Hawker last year. Interesting to know about some of the other trails in Australia that people are mentioning - more to research😊 Keep safe everyone and keep your walking dreams alive😊 Linda

€149,-
Hello from Adelaide😊 We aren't currently in lockdown (had a brief one a couple of weeks ago) but that could all change at any time. I have holidays booked for May/June next year for the Portuguese from Lisbon but realistically feel that that wont happen til 2023. We cancelled our trip to the UK last year to walk Hadrien's Wall then north up St Oswald's Way to Lindesfarne. Now I should have been on the Larapinta Trail for my 60th birthday (yesterday!) but had to cancel due to my daughter's cardio-thoracic surgery so am helping to mind 4 grandchildren instead. My husband and I had done this trail in 2019 as independent hikers so know how challenging it is - I have never seen so many rocks/stones/boulders in my life! Epic, tho, with amazing scenry. Had also planned a week in Sydney to catch up with my sister in NZ but with the travel bubble with NZ paused and State border closures/covid situation that is cancelled too. (more flight credits!) Did manage a week of day walks with one overnight on my own (first time!) on the Heysen Trail from Parachilna Gorge almost to Hawker last year. Interesting to know about some of the other trails in Australia that people are mentioning - more to research😊 Keep safe everyone and keep your walking dreams alive😊 Linda
Happy birthday Linda! I hope you had a wonderful birthday yesterday and that cake and bubbles featured prominently!
Buen Camino for as soon as it’s safe to be back on those magical paths - that happy, happy day will happen -
Cheers from Sydney -
Jenny

Thankyou Jenny! Spent the day in the hospital with my daughter - only one visitor per day allowed so her partner gave me his spot😊 But did have a family lunch out at a cafe last weekend🎂🍾🎁 Yes, we will all get out there again someday. Take care and stay safe everyone, particularly those in Sydney, we are all wishing you well 🙏💗 Linda

consequent reasonable post-COVID society clarified
Recent announcements on this topic are not promising for my intended 80 day walk beginning at Almeria in March 2022. I guess I can just continue in a state of semi-hibernation with rolling lockdowns until the end of the year and limitations beyond. It is creating a severe risk of sarcopenia that would be avoided by a good walk.

€149,-
As always the Camino will wait. I am in UK and have no intention of trying to walk another camino until I can travel without taking a Covid test so I can be fairly certain that I can travel. Moreover, I like the freedom of a normal camino and have no desire to join the rush to book beds.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It’s all speculative and none of us know. Certainly there was a change in the rollout of vaccines because of questions about AstraZeneca for young people and that has put things behind. We have a largely unvaccinated population at the moment and so opening the borders would be risky..
The same could be said for me I have been planning the Portuguese Camino since 2016 and was set for last year, then this year, now looking at October 2022, when Fortress Australia finally decides to live with Covid. Second vaccine for me in September, and if this is the only way we can get out of the country without having to pay thousands of dollars to quarantine on return, then bring it on. Good grief will be 63 by then!!!

Good on you Kanga. I’m locked down in Melbourne at the moment and we’re in our 6th lockdown. I was to walk again last year, and visit my son - who was hospitalised on oxygen- in Luxembourg where he lives. I’ve been trolling YouTube for a fix but your zoom presentation sounded good. Technology is a sanity saver at the moment. We were all going so well but then our government didn’t get the vaccination program right. Who’d have thought!?
l tend to put lives above a strong economy. As one economist said, a strong economy is pointless when your dead. It’s important but will recover.
I really feel for Sydneysiders at the moment as we’ve been through long lockdowns. stick with it and when it starts to come down, it’s a quick turnaround. Cheers to everyone, everywhere, affected at the moment.

As always the Camino will wait. I am in UK and have no intention of trying to walk another camino until I can travel without taking a Covid test so I can be fairly certain that I can travel. Moreover, I like the freedom of a normal camino and have no desire to join the rush to book beds.
I usually like to walk in late September and would book tomorrow but we can’t leave the country. I think it can be done with the right precautions. I’m fully vaccinated and am very used to masks indoors and outdoors ( compulsory here at the moment), social distancing and would take the opportunity if available. The rush at the moment is a very good point and I’d try to avoid that. I really envy your proximity to the Caminos; there’s nothing like a 25 hour flight and a long train ride from Paris to kick off a walk😩

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I’m continuing to plan my next Camino and know I will get there sometime. Luckily at the moment we have avoided lockdown in Tasmania so trying to get out and about and enjoy our local walks.

Kanga, thanks for initiating this thread.

Here in WA we have been incredibly lucky, with only very rare and brief lockdowns, and with a huge state to explore. My walking partner and I were actively planning the Via Francigena (the Switzerland to Rome section) when COVID began and the borders closed, so wehad to cancel that. Instead, last year we did the beautiful Bibbulmun Track -- 1,000 kms from Perth to Albany on the south coast of WA. It was wonderful; one of the most outstanding bush walking trails of the world.

The facilities were great -- simple sleeping huts every 20 kms or so, with toilet, rainwater tank, the occasional stream in which to bathe, and all that the Australian bush offers, for free! We are so glad we did it. BUT, it's a very different walk to those in Europe. We had much heavier packs, to take tent, sleeping gear, cooking implements, food for days, absolutely all our necessities, etc, as the Bib only passes through towns/villages for re-stocking every 4-5 days on average. It takes much more planning and logistical preparation.

But we delighted in the companionship of the trail, meeting some great fellow walkers, much like the Camino in that respect. And walking in Nature is so therapeutic for mind and body.

Still, we wait impatiently for the chance to get back to those wonderful walks in Europe, perhaps the Camino del Norte, or the Via Francigena. It certainly won't be before 2022 or even 2023 I suspect. Just yesterday afternoon a walking friend rang us to chat about plans. 'We have to keep planning', she said. 'It keeps my hopes up!'

In the meantime, I watch Youtube videos of the Camino, cherish my rich memories, and share the occasional email with those we have met on The Way.
Stay safe.

We had stopped looking at the Forum , disheartened , thanks for commencing .
I usually like to walk in late September and would book tomorrow but we can’t leave the country. I think it can be done with the right precautions. I’m fully vaccinated and am very used to masks indoors and outdoors ( compulsory here at the moment), social distancing and would take the opportunity if available. The rush at the moment is a very good point and I’d try to avoid that. I really envy your proximity to the Caminos; there’s nothing like a 25 hour flight and a long train ride from Paris to kick off a walk😩
Sept 2022 6/4 in betting. Stay Safe.
We got our second AZ jab in May thinking we would be allowed to travel when things opened up …..a bit naive for 73 one would think.
It was the hardest walk we have done, 16 days of rocks, hills, boulders, dry river beds, more rocks, zig zagging up and down vertical ridges, more rocks, more hills, no showers and drop toilets at the end of the stages.
We went with Trek Larapinta. They do other tours and can highly recommend them. 😊😊
Larapinta is the hardest walk around . A close friend in there now , got the plane last week to Alice from Melb the moment they opened the boarders to us Vic’s.
Photos don’t do it justice , well done.
So 2023 is a safer bet.

I agree. I just think 2023 is a 'safer' bet.

Like many, age and health do not help.
But my next Camino, whenever it is, will just need to match my abilities.
Apollo Restaurant , Potts Point for lunch Robbo.
Sitting at the bar like we would in Spain.
I say we are off by June 2022, you can have any other scenario.
Looser pays , with a cap of course 😇

Was fortunate to visit the Whitsundays just recently as our trip to family in Sydney had to be cancelled . I swear after sitting on and walking Whitehaven Beach for a few days the “Norte” will be the first port of call next year and our pace will be very slow walk anywhere around the E9 sections.
There is a beauty in solitude which has become apparent these last few years.
I think we have taken some of these journeys for granted which we hope to reverse in the remaining years.
I'm assuming this was a zoom session for a NSW Camino group. I miss our weekly forum zoom meeting for Aussies and Kiwis (and Europeans). I can't attend the current forum zoom meetings because of the time difference. Maybe we could try and reinstate zoom meetings at a convenient Australian/New Zealand time, maybe not weekly, but fortnightly, so that we can stay in touch and support each other.

I was reading about whether we could travel with our current Covid vaccines. It appears that our AstraZeneca vaccine is not -yet- automatically recognised in Europe. This is discussed in this article:

I'm certainly getting a Pfizer booster before I go.

I found the same thing: it's hard to walk manageable kms without a support crew. Or without carrying a tent and food.
Missing your company , hope the next dinner is not cancelled.
*** The booster is a must , a suggestion we should all follow.
I can see June/ July and August 🤭🤫 and train transport when finished one section to various commencing points , ex Geneva .
Stay safe you lovely people.

I am fully vaccinated and I could head off for another Camino but like most Kiwis I am choosing not to. I am instead really enjoying learning and benefiting from the group input on @VNwalking s virtual Caminos.

I will re-evaluate things later in the year for a possible April-June 2022 Camino.
I did the Levante virtual thread. Now I am making final preparations for my departure to Spain on Sept. 9 to walk the Levante. Fortunately, as a Canadian, I have been fully vaccinated since June. I am convinced that it is time for me to go, in spite of our government not recommending international travel. It does look like, by the time you are able to travel, all the current complicated international regulations will be simplified. But, like many of you, I am "not getting any younger" so my future caminos will probably be few. I am just about ready for the next one.

Thank you for the pictures..its on my bucket list!

I am fully vaccinated and I could head off for another Camino but like most Kiwis I am choosing not to.
Are Kiwis allowed overseas? I thought there was a "stay in NZ until further notice" ruling, same as in Australia. I am a kiwi living in Melbourne. i was due to do the portuguese last year and i was due to come home for a couple ofweeks next weekend until Cindy closed the travel bubble.

If kiwis are allowed out of nz... then theoretically i could go home for a couple of days when the bubble reopens, then fly off to do a camino, and come back to oz via home again! What are the quarantine arrangements upon return? 14 days at an nz address or 14 days in an extortionate budget hotel?

€46,-
@Kanga, thanks for starting this long-lived topic

we are not getting any younger and as so many others comment our health is the main factor of concern

I am in a similar waka.

In mid 2019 I booked to return to Grand-Est, France with just over a week to the Swiss border in early April 2020, and so onto Rome. In early March my UK based family suggested it might not be wise and a short while later my Prime Minister made the same suggestion, without any options.

From August 2020 I have been able to several multi-day routes across the country and continue to pound my several local walkways with my fully-loaded Camino pack, sampling as many different cafē as possible.

Like on our West Island, vaccine doses have been slow to arrive here. And like @Robo, 2022 looked promising to restart.

I am not so concerned for myself.

Rather my concern is for the perceptions, real and/or imagined for those I walk amongst, for what I might unwittingly take and what I might, equally unwittingly, bring back.

Covid-19 is quite unlike anything in our combined experiences and so vaccination now is grand, but ...

And so, again like @Robo, planning to re-start in 2023 works best for me. Even though I will be 81 then.

To you all I say Kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (be strong, confident and patient) and get going when you can.

Are Kiwis allowed overseas?

Just can't go to out West Island.

If there's a flight out and you will be accepted where you fetch-up, just go for it.

But don't expect to come back any time soon - spaces in quarantine are booked out to the end of the year. And they go as soon as they are made available.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (be strong, confident and patient) and get going when you can.

I'm not a hot weather walking fan. Winter Camino for me because we then like to stay on for Christmas (we don't get a lot of White Christmas' in Queensland). I'm budgeting on end 2023 for my next Camino.

Are Kiwis allowed overseas? I thought there was a "stay in NZ until further notice" ruling, same as in Australia. I am a kiwi living in Melbourne. i was due to do the portuguese last year and i was due to come home for a couple ofweeks next weekend until Cindy closed the travel bubble.

If kiwis are allowed out of nz... then theoretically i could go home for a couple of days when the bubble reopens, then fly off to do a camino, and come back to oz via home again! What are the quarantine arrangements upon return? 14 days at an nz address or 14 days in an extortionate budget hotel?
The problem is more that you might not get back - quarantine spaces are sold out months in advance. There is a cost for that as well - but the issue is availability.

Hello from Roz on the Mornington Peninsula, in Victoria, Australia.
Yes, we are in lockdown #6 and cannot travel more than 5 kms. from our homes.
Hubby and I have had our first AZ jab and are due for the 2nd in September. We have cancelled 2 booked caminos and I keep my dreams alive, by reading this forum every day. However, I do get jealous reading about people that are there now, and able to complete a camino. I frequently get my photo albums out, and relive my travels. Could someone please give me a link to watch a virtual camino?
Luckily, we live near the Arthur's Seat State Park, and we do our daily walk up Arthurs, or we go to the foreshore and do a circuit from Rosebud Pier, approx.6.8 kms.....I pretend that I am walking from Porto to Foz, which is about 6 kms. We hope to go back to Portugal/Spain in October 2022, if not, then 2023.
We too have enjoyed watching the Olympics and the Tour de France and look forward to the la Vuelta a Espana. Due to the Holy Year, the race starts from Burgos Cathedral and finishes at Santiago de Compostela Cathedral; one stage of the race even starts at Porrino! Well, any glimpses of Spain will have me sighing and hoping of another camino down the track.
We are now aged 62 and 67 and want to walk while we are still physically able to, so we try to stay fit and positive. Keep safe and healthy fellow pilgrims.😊👣👣👣

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On my first Camino, we ran into and shared meals with so many Aussies and Kiwis, it seemed as if the ANZAC and decided to invade and occupy northern Spain, but neglected to inform the media. Meeting people from elsewhere is one of the charms of the Camino. We have all paid for Covid in our own ways, no matter where we live. Its a shame that you will all be paying for a little longer yet. I for one, will miss you out there........

Kia ora, so many of us Kiwis and Aussies waiting for when we can travel freely again. My husband and I had booked to walk the Via Francigena April last year from Canterbury to Aosta then would have returned to Aosta to walk to Rome this year. For now we're walking locally. At the end of last year we set a goal of walking 2021 kilometres for 2021 but we've walked over 3300 kms so far and still walking 😊 At least we'll be walking fit ...and right now, I feel that it'll be another Camino rather than the Via Francigena ...so much to think about and plan for.

I'm not a hot weather walking fan. Winter Camino for me because we then like to stay on for Christmas (we don't get a lot of White Christmas' in Queensland). I'm budgeting on end 2023 for my next Camino.
Haha, I’m the opposite, but coming from Melbourne you can probably understand why. Late summer start last time and loved the sun and heat of the day, especially the Meseta. Many couldn’t understand why I liked it and thought it far too hot. Hottest day was 32c and that’s fine for Aussies.
I’ll take any weather there at the moment tho..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Ooh Kanga, what kind of backpack did you get and what made you choose it? I think I remember you were a proponent of the Aarnpack weren't you and giving me some helpful feedback before I bought a new Aarnpack? :)

Hi Kanga,
Thankyou for starting this thread.

I wish I was paying attention because I would have attended your Zoom session! I too am planning and planning and during my daily exercise hours I am wandering around my suburb (Bondi) with a fully loaded backpack. I leave at 0500 every morning and pretend that I am on the Meseta, leaving early to escape the heat (despite being rugged up ;) ). I also walked part of the Bondi to Manly last year and loved it.

I can't wait until the world opens back up to us. I have two routes planned depending on how much time I can get off/if I quit my job. (Frances for the third time if I have limited time and if I quit my job, I will walk from Almeria to Muxia - the long way!)

I have been reading Camino books and trawling through blogs and photos to keep my hope alive. I am sorting out my sleep system and trying out new shoes. I am keeping mental notes of my packing list and creating more and more hacks to get that fully dialed too.

I am doing a World Walker Virtual Camino and logging my steps. I am currently in Najera. I'm also taking a Sydney Community College Spanish class via Zoom.

These things are keeping me sane while I wait. And I wait with hope.
I love reading about all the ways you are keeping your Camino spirit alive!

Not sure which vaccine you received. I received the second Pfizer shot in March. Although, CDC, here, in USA, isn’t pinpointing when protection against the Delta virus wanes, we will be starting to booster shots here in USA as early as September for immuno-comprimsed. This is all to say, the window(s) of opportunity-to go overseas may be limited for years to come with this virus/variants, and maybe different, for different pilgrims within a country depending upon when one got their vaccines and whether it covers the latest variant.

This could go on for many years and is worth considering as we all try and discern what is best/safest. I truly hope a better time comes soon, but I don’t see it happening in the next several years.

Not sure which vaccine you received. I received the second Pfizer shot in March. Although, CDC, here, in USA, isn’t pinpointing when protection against the Delta virus wanes, we will be starting to booster shots here in USA as early as September for immuno-comprimsed. This is all to say, the window(s) of opportunity-to go overseas may be limited for years to come with this virus/variants, and maybe different, for different pilgrims within a country depending upon when one got their vaccines and whether it covers the latest variant.

This could go on for many years and is worth considering as we all try and discern what is best/safest. I truly hope a better time comes soon, but I don’t see it happening in the next several years.
Issues of which vaccine and which booster are somewhat academic for us here in Australia. Without wanting to incur the wrath of the moderators, it needs to be said that we are 36th out of 38 OECD countries in terms of the % of the population who have been vaccinated, and this has little or nothing to do with vaccine hesitancy. Our problem is that we are literally not allowed to leave. Our government has forbidden any Australian to leave the country without a hard-to-obtain exemption. This is likely to be the case for at least six months: that is a pure guess but also what most of us expect. So you can maybe sense our frustration. The only good thing (and it is very good) is the way we are communicating and posting with each other. Keep it up chaps!

Hello from Roz on the Mornington Peninsula, in Victoria, Australia.
Yes, we are in lockdown #6 and cannot travel more than 5 kms. from our homes.
Hubby and I have had our first AZ jab and are due for the 2nd in September. We have cancelled 2 booked caminos and I keep my dreams alive, by reading this forum every day. However, I do get jealous reading about people that are there now, and able to complete a camino. I frequently get my photo albums out, and relive my travels. Could someone please give me a link to watch a virtual camino?
Luckily, we live near the Arthur's Seat State Park, and we do our daily walk up Arthurs, or we go to the foreshore and do a circuit from Rosebud Pier, approx.6.8 kms.....I pretend that I am walking from Porto to Foz, which is about 6 kms. We hope to go back to Portugal/Spain in October 2022, if not, then 2023.
We too have enjoyed watching the Olympics and the Tour de France and look forward to the la Vuelta a Espana. Due to the Holy Year, the race starts from Burgos Cathedral and finishes at Santiago de Compostela Cathedral; one stage of the race even starts at Porrino! Well, any glimpses of Spain will have me sighing and hoping of another camino down the track.
We are now aged 62 and 67 and want to walk while we are still physically able to, so we try to stay fit and positive. Keep safe and healthy fellow pilgrims.😊👣👣👣
These aren't the virtual caminos on the forum, these are some videos I made myself, mostly of the camino. Please feel free to take a look. They are there to be looked at.

Are Kiwis allowed overseas? I thought there was a "stay in NZ until further notice" ruling, same as in Australia.

Same as Canada and a number of other countries. The government recommends that we don't travel but no one stops you from leaving.

I am a kiwi living in Melbourne. i was due to do the portuguese last year and i was due to come home for a couple ofweeks next weekend until Cindy closed the travel bubble.

If kiwis are allowed out of nz... then theoretically i could go home for a couple of days when the bubble reopens, then fly off to do a camino, and come back to oz via home again!

A number of Australians have done what you suggest and left via Aotearoa New Zealand when the border was open but I think that is against the Australian rules and there may be repercussions on return to Australia.

Travel insurance may be a problem as most companies refuse coverage if you travel against government advice.

What are the quarantine arrangements upon return? 14 days at an nz address or 14 days in an extortionate budget hotel?

This may be a sticking point for your plan. If you choose to leave ANZ then you will pay for 14 days in quarantine, if you manage to find an available spot. I am not sure of the exact cost but I think around $3,000.

As has been noted, finding a spot in quarantine might be a problem and unless you find a spot, you can't come home.

Last edited:

€149,-
I did the Levante virtual thread. Now I am making final preparations for my departure to Spain on Sept. 9 to walk the Levante. Fortunately, as a Canadian, I have been fully vaccinated since June.

That is great, I have also been fully vaccinated since June, snap

I am convinced that it is time for me to go, in spite of our government not recommending international travel.

Great, I am looking forward to you reporting your pilgrimage on the forum.

It does look like, by the time you are able to travel, all the current complicated international regulations will be simplified.

I can travel now, I choose not to.

But, like many of you, I am "not getting any younger" so my future caminos will probably be few. I am just about ready for the next one.
🤩

Same as Canada and a number of other countries. The government recommends that we don't travel but no one stops you from leaving.

A number of Australians have done what you suggest and left via Aotearoa New Zealand when the border was open but I think that is against the Australian rules and there may be repercussions on return to Australia.

Travel insurance may be a problem as most companies refuse coverage if you travel against government advice.

This may be a sticking point for your plan. If you choose to leave ANZ then you will pay for 14 days in quarantine, if you manage to find an available spot. I am not sure of the exact cost but I think around $3,000.

As has been noted, finding a spot in quarantine might be a problem and unless you find a spot, you can't come home.
Not sure if you are following Oz news, but apart from all the other restrictions, there is a cap on international arrivals, and it is very low. This means that assuming you are allowed into Australia, and assuming you can afford the 2 weeks quarantine when you get here, there is a very long queue for the very few places available on incoming flights. Plus, there are a lot of Australians stuck overseas who are desperate to come back and would really like one of those places.

So far all Covid vaccinations in Aotearoa New Zealand have been Pfizer.

Not sure if you are following Oz news, but apart from all the other restrictions, there is a cap on international arrivals, and it is very low. This means that assuming you are allowed into Australia, and assuming you can afford the 2 weeks quarantine when you get here, there is a very long queue for the very few places available on incoming flights. Plus, there are a lot of Australians stuck overseas who are desperate to come back and would really like one of those places.
I am a Kiwi and I live in Aotearoa New Zealand so I don't really follow the Australian situation that closely.

We also have limited places in quarantine with lots of people wanting those limited places.

Thanks 🙏

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back