• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Camino will be waiting...Australians

I am a Kiwi and I live in Aotearoa New Zealand so I don't really follow the Australian situation that closely.

We also have limited places in quarantine with lots of people wanting those limited places.

Thanks 🙏
Actually, my post was really for Davybhoy. I don't think the idea of using the fact that you are a citizen of one country living in another to get around the regulations is a very good one, and probably wouldn't work anyway. Here in Oz, there seems to be no limit on quarantine places, the limit is on incoming arrivals. Anyway, be nice to hop across the pond to ANZ (which I always thought was a bank) again, one day. Cheers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually, my post was really for Davybhoy.

Okay, the confusion then is that you replied to my post rather than his.

I don't think the idea of using the fact that you are a citizen of one country living in another to get around the regulations is a very good one, and probably wouldn't work anyway.

I agree.

Here in Oz, there seems to be no limit on quarantine places, the limit is on incoming arrivals.

Okay.

Anyway, be nice to hop across the pond to ANZ (which I always thought was a bank) again, one day. Cheers.

There is indeed a bank that (also) uses the initials ANZ 🥝

Issues of which vaccine and which booster are somewhat academic for us here in Australia. Without wanting to incur the wrath of the moderators, it needs to be said that we are 36th out of 38 OECD countries in terms of the % of the population who have been vaccinated, and this has little or nothing to do with vaccine hesitancy. Our problem is that we are literally not allowed to leave. Our government has forbidden any Australian to leave the country without a hard-to-obtain exemption. This is likely to be the case for at least six months: that is a pure guess but also what most of us expect. So you can maybe sense our frustration. The only good thing (and it is very good) is the way we are communicating and posting with each other. Keep it up chaps!
Bloody well said😠

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ooh Kanga, what kind of backpack did you get and what made you choose it? I think I remember you were a proponent of the Aarnpack weren't you and giving me some helpful feedback before I bought a new Aarnpack? :)

I am a fan of Aarn packs but wanted a carry-on slightly bigger than the Liquid Agility without adding too much weight. Aarn has been having problems with supplies due to Covid, so availability is limited. In the end I saw a Gregory Jade 38 on sale and I am giving that a go. It is super easy to pack and use - how it feels on the trail I am yet to find out.

I am a fan of Aarn packs but wanted a carry-on slightly bigger than the Liquid Agility without adding too much weight. Aarn has been having problems with supplies due to Covid, so availability is limited. In the end I saw a Gregory Jade 38 on sale and I am giving that a go. It is super easy to pack and use - how it feels on the trail I am yet to find out.
Ah sounds good! Aarn packs aren't the most lightweight. I hope u get to properly test this new one soon!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How we are all going? I must say I'm finding it a bit depressing reading the threads in the forum with people asking how they can get tested in order to get on flights, how to get their Covid codes for France, etc etc.

I'm in Sydney, in lockdown. While on my morning walk (within 5km, less than an hour) I tried to pretend the attached photo was a wildflower meadow in Spain. It's actually my next door neighbour's front yard, rather in need of a mow.

IMG_0132.jpeg

How we are all going?
Nice weather today in Melbourne suburbia. Can't say I can see anything around me reminding me of the Camino, except for today's memory photos of our walk 3 years ago, when we encountered cows on our walk between Miramont-Sensacq and Pimbo. ☺️

20200420_092448-COLLAGE.jpg

Thanks for asking Kanga. Love your photo, should have taken one on our walk this morning! Well Regional Victoria is back in lockdown as well. We continue to walk everyday, rain or shine! Still hopeful for a Camino next year, if we are allowed to! So continue to work on our plans for 2022.
Take care, Ultreia et Suseia.
Anne & Pat

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Issues of which vaccine and which booster are somewhat academic for us here in Australia. Without wanting to incur the wrath of the moderators, it needs to be said that we are 36th out of 38 OECD countries in terms of the % of the population who have been vaccinated, and this has little or nothing to do with vaccine hesitancy. Our problem is that we are literally not allowed to leave. Our government has forbidden any Australian to leave the country without a hard-to-obtain exemption. This is likely to be the case for at least six months: that is a pure guess but also what most of us expect. So you can maybe sense our frustration. The only good thing (and it is very good) is the way we are communicating and posting with each other. Keep it up chaps!
"Don't worry it (vaccination) is not a race..." said several times by one who was one of the first in line to get theirs...

Turns out it a race - to get a degree of immunity bfore the virus catches up with you...

How we are all going? I must say I'm finding it a bit depressing reading the threads in the forum with people asking how they can get tested in order to get on flights, how to get their Covid codes for France, etc etc.

I am looking across the valley I live in here in Canberra towards where I will walk a little later today. It's the sunniest it has been for many days, but I will have to drive closer to find a place where I will be able to walk across the summit within our one-hour lockdown exercise limit.

I make occasional visits to the forum, but like you, find it a little dispiriting, so this will be my first contribution for some time.

The local Canberra Friends of the Camino has had to cancel its monthly meeting this month, which goes with the large number of other cancelled things. While the number of trips my wife and I have cancelled isn't large, each of them has been disappointing, and one's morale takes a little knock each time. The latest was to get across to Perth for the Camino Salvado in mid-September, where I planned to walk and she planned to meet me at the end for a short stay to visit my family.

On a positive note, before the current round of restrictions, we did a car trip to Tassie, and I was able to get across to NZ and spend a few days with friends and family in Tuarangi and Wellington. My return flights were re-arranged to come back through Brisbane when Sydney was subjected to more restrictions, flying first to Auckland. My checked bag liked it so much in Auckland that it decided to stay an extra day!

Wellington has some wonderful walks, although walking in windiest city in the world when it is raining was an interesting challenge. It was the first time I had been south of the Ruapehu area on the North Island, and I am now wondering why.

My plans to retire from full time work in the next couple of months have been put on hold, and I have been found a short term role to take me through to the end of the year to see if things get any better. There seems to be little point retiring just yet when all our major travel plans are on hold.

I remain optimistic that we will be able to leave Australia, and return again in a sensible way, in 2022. Of course it might not happen, but I will still plan on doing the Camino Portuguese, the camino I was planning for 2020, when it becomes possible to do so.

In the meantime, @Kanga and all of you reading this, take care of yourselves and I look forward to the day when, along with all other Australian Camino tragics, I can rejoin those of you walking the Camino.

Doug

Last edited:

I'm in Sydney, in lockdown. While on my morning walk (within 5km, less than an hour) I tried to pretend the attached photo was a wildflower meadow in Spain. It's actually my next door neighbour's front yard, rather in need of a mow.

View attachment 107325
Greetings Kanga and other Aussie friends - from sunny Auckland where we have joined you in spirit (ie lockdown). Sigh. Déjà lockdown! Agree about finding some of those other threads a bit dispiriting - I also just find it quite surreal reading posts from people about to start a Camino. All that seems very far away still. Sending lots of good wishes across the ditch to all of you.

View attachment 107325
Now there's a challenge - take a photo within 5 km of home that might (if you squint and turn the lights out) just look a little bit like Spain. What have you got?

P1020344.JPG
Brownie points for any Sydneysider who knows where this is.

View attachment 107325
Hello @Kanga, I am a newbie to these threads, still waiting and hoping to do my first Portuguese Camino after the usual cancellations like everyone else. Whilst other threads are sort of depressing about others being there already, I think it’s only because we aren’t allowed out. We too in Beechworth, Victoria are in our next lockdown, they happen so often I’ve lost count of the number, but it was a lovely sunny day here today and I went for a great hike around our gorge, along bush tracks, some steep, some downhill. I will try and remain hopeful for 2022🤞

It's actually my next door neighbour's front yard, rather in need of a mow.
I can see why your neighbor's mower is having a rest: freesias! Such a glorious scent.

Spring will come, I guess.
And some day we can all travel again.
I'm with you all in spirit, also in lockdown and unable to imagine much changing in a while, given the vaccine situation everywhere, and the ability of viruses to mutate. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm getting better and better at virtual (imaginary) caminos, and figure that someday when the body has failed the skill will come in handy. For rhe moment I am grateful that I could still walk a camino, were that possible. And that planning one is more than just a pipe dream.

Now there's a challenge - take a photo within 5 km of home that might (if you squint and turn the lights out) just look a little bit like Spain. What have you got?

View attachment 107348
Google says Marrickville Road, Dulwich Hill?

I think that's a good idea Dick, I'm up for it!

Hello @Kanga, I am a newbie to these threads, still waiting and hoping to do my first Portuguese Camino after the usual cancellations like everyone else. Whilst other threads are sort of depressing about others being there already, I think it’s only because we aren’t allowed out. We too in Beechworth, Victoria are in our next lockdown, they happen so often I’ve lost count of the number, but it was a lovely sunny day here today and I went for a great hike around our gorge, along bush tracks, some steep, some downhill. I will try and remain hopeful for 2022🤞
I was there a few months ago, walking the rail trails. I loved Beechworth.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am looking across the valley I live in here in Canberra towards where I will walk a little later today. It's the sunniest it has been for many days, but I will have to drive closer to find a place where I will be able to walk across the summit within our one-hour lockdown exercise limit.

I make occasional visits to the forum, but like you, find it a little dispiriting, so this will be my first contribution for some time.

The local Canberra Friends of the Camino has had to cancel its monthly meeting this month, which goes with the large number of other cancelled things. While the number of trips my wife and I have cancelled isn't large, each of them has been disappointing, and one's morale takes a little knock each time. The latest was to get across to Perth for the Camino Salvado in mid-September, where I planned to walk and she planned to meet me at the end for a short stay to visit my family.

On a positive note, before the current round of restrictions, we did a car trip to Tassie, and I was able to get across to NZ and spend a few days with friends and family in Tuarangi and Wellington. My return flights were re-arranged to come back through Brisbane when Sydney was subjected to more restrictions, flying first to Auckland. My checked bag liked it so much in Auckland that it decided to stay an extra day!

Wellington has some wonderful walks, although walking in windiest city in the world when it is raining was an interesting challenge. It was the first time I had been south of the Ruapehu area on the North Island, and I am now wondering why.

My plans to retire from full time work in the next couple of months have been put on hold, and I have been found a short term role to take me through to the end of the year to see if things get any better. There seems to be little point retiring just yet when all our major travel plans are on hold.

I remain optimistic that we will be able to leave Australia, and return again in a sensible way, in 2022. Of course it might not happen, but I will still plan on doing the Camino Portuguese, the camino I was planning for 2020, when it becomes possible to do so.

In the meantime, @Kanga and all of you reading this, take care of yourselves and I look forward to the day when, along with all other Australian Camino tragics, I can rejoin those of you walking the Camino.

Doug
Take care...

View attachment 107348
My contribution to a little bit of Spain in Oz...

1629627060368.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi all, I am fortunate to live in the country where the lockdown has not bitten quite so hard. Had a nice walk along the country roads this morning, followed by an unexpected steep hill climb looking for a lost dog. ( That's another story) I'm now fully vaccinated and like everyone else can't wait to get back on the Camino, although it still looks depressingly far way for us in Australia.

Meantime I have the Blue Mountains mini-Camino to look forward to in November , unless it is postponed again, and I remind myself that I am much better off than many others.

I thought I'd start a thread for those of us locked in, and feeling a bit despondent about camino's planned and abandoned, or because we are treading water while others are able to make solid plans.

I'm in Sydney, so even long walks here are out for the moment. My one pleasure is trawling through old photographs, and yesterday I gave a Zoom presentation, with a powerpoint, to a big group, and that was rather fun. I do think we are blessed that we have the technology to let us engage with others, and to distract us.
Yes completely locked in Fortress NZ.
Camino plans once again abandoned for the second year running.
Absolutely love following all the people walking and posting. Good for you. It really does brighten my day and brings back so many fabulous memories. I find myself going thru my photos to make comparisons with those posting. (Camino Frances and Le Puy)
I know I am very lucky to live in this beautiful country but I still dream of walking in Europe again soon.
Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I thought I'd start a thread for those of us locked in, and feeling a bit despondent about camino's planned and abandoned, or because we are treading water while others are able to make solid plans.

I'm in Sydney, so even long walks here are out for the moment. My one pleasure is trawling through old photographs, and yesterday I gave a Zoom presentation, with a powerpoint, to a big group, and that was rather fun. I do think we are blessed that we have the technology to let us engage with others, and to distract us.
I am in Sydney as well and I am planning April 2022 - can i ask a quick question as you live in Sydney - as a joining point are we better flying to Madrid or Barcelona ( I'm starting at Sarria , i walked in 2018 Pamplona to Burgos as that was all i could get off work ) appreciaite your help

I was going to walk with the Blue Mountains group in September, from Penrith up to Blackheath. Sadly that is now postponed until November. At least.

Yes, the Camino is not going anywhere. And I know the joy will be sharpened, when we do go back, by having a few years away.

So, to keep the spirits up, Robo is planning, and I bought myself a new backpack a few weeks ago. I'm tempted to fill it and walk around here, doing my daily "exercise". Just for fun.
Thankfully we have a "little" more leeway on the far north coast and we can walk for longer periods. I was so down a few weeks ago so I got my backpack out and wore it aroundt he house, now I'm wearing it outside, next, I'll put it on for my morning walks. My fingers crossed for September 2022

Like you Kanga, I am waiting for Fortress Australia to let us out (and even more importantly, back in again!) I am so happy that others who are free to travel are able to bring the Camino to life again for all of us - I am so eager for my next Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Like you Kanga, I am waiting for Fortress Australia to let us out (and even more importantly, back in again!) I am so happy that others who are free to travel are able to bring the Camino to life again for all of us - I am so eager for my next Camino!
I'm thinking if we can get out of Australia in April and be away for at least 2 months ,by that time we should be ok to get back in again. I don't mind quarantining at home. Fingers crossed.

I am in Sydney as well and I am planning April 2022 - can i ask a quick question as you live in Sydney - as a joining point are we better flying to Madrid or Barcelona ( I'm starting at Sarria , i walked in 2018 Pamplona to Burgos as that was all i could get off work ) appreciaite your help
I think Madrid is easier, it is certainly closer, and easy return to for the trip home. I also find it a less complicated city to navigate, but perhaps that is just because I've been there more often than to Barcelona.

Qatar Airlines keep sending me enticing emails so for fun I looked at tickets this morning. The starting price was $8,000 eeeew!

Inspired by @LesR 's crop, I just purchased some Padron pepper seeds. They were expensive, because I had to pay postage (being locked down), but cheap compared to the price for a ticket to Madrid. In a spirit of optimism I look forward to a bounteous crop.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Inspired by @LesR 's crop, I just purchased some Padron pepper seeds. They were expensive, because I had to pay postage (being locked down), but cheap compared to the price for a ticket to Madrid. In a spirit of optimism I look forward to a bounteous crop.
Good luck with them - they do keep the dream alive! Love to hear how the crop fares.

Greetings from the other side of the world. I have eleven close family members in OZ and when I think of them in confinement, I think of all the Ozzies on the forum, too.

Today I came across some beautifully filmed videos of multi-day hikes in the Great Australian Outback. I would love to tackle some of them one day. The photographer is Josh Carr. Here is an example:

Backpacking & hiking the Murchison River Gorge in Kalbarri National Park (Western Australia)

16:10 - Hike Overview

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Greetings from the other side of the world. I have eleven close family members in OZ and when I think of them in confinement, I think of all the Ozzies on the forum, too.

Today I came across some beautifully filmed videos of multi-day hikes in the Great Australian Outback. I would love to tackle some of them one day. The photographer is Josh Carr. Here is an example:

Backpacking & hiking the Murchison River Gorge in Kalbarri National Park (Western Australia)

16:10 - Hike Overview

Cheers
Lovingkindness
Thanks for posting this. I had to walk through that gorge as an exercise during my navy recruit training. Haven't been back there since. It is still as impressive as I remember it

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You're welcome! It looks like a lovely walk. How did you manage swimming with your pack?
There was not as much water in the river when we did it as in the video, ( over 40 years ago - time flies) so I remember a bit of wading, but no actual swimming. Very hot walk though, the water was a welcome relief.

I'm thinking if we can get out of Australia in April and be away for at least 2 months ,by that time we should be ok to get back in again. I don't mind quarantining at home. Fingers crossed.
That would suit me too! As you say - fingers crossed!

Here's my bit of Spain (or possibly Portugal) in lockdown. We recently renovated the laundry and I could not resist these.

View attachment 107431
Just saw this and VERY nice indeed! I have just done the first bathroom , and guess what?
Here's my bit of Spain (or possibly Portugal) in lockdown. We recently renovated the laundry and I could not resist these.

View attachment 107431
Love them..don't they just make you feel Spain underfoot?tempImageJWBF5o.png I am similarly afflicted . Renovating the bathrooms ...last Spanish tiles of this type available here are now on my floor...

Webjet , Sydney to Madrid return dates in April 2022 , 5 airlines under $2400.
Qatar is very good , the company we use.
Emirates is very well priced.
Syd>Madrid>SDC then transport to Sarria from there.
You have saved plenty , book the best and take your time >>>Muxia

I think Madrid is easier, it is certainly closer, and easy return to for the trip home. I also find it a less complicated city to navigate, but perhaps that is just because I've been there more often than to Barcelona.

Qatar Airlines keep sending me enticing emails so for fun I looked at tickets this morning. The starting price was $8,000 eeeew!
My travel agent yesterday quoted fares starting $1650 return from Perth to Edinburgh in April. Want to go there for a week prior to Spain.

Am feeling more positive that we can travel next year. Meanwhile we can keep walking and planning. Have just come out of lockdown and am enjoying the simple pleasure of having a coffee with friends. Yay!

Am feeling more positive that we can travel next year. Meanwhile we can keep walking and planning. Have just come out of lockdown and am enjoying the simple pleasure of having a coffee with friends. Yay!
Yay! Indeed! Feeling a bit more hopeful here in Adelaide, too. Next year in Jerusalem (maybe?)

My travel agent yesterday quoted fares starting $1650 return from Perth to Edinburgh in April. Want to go there for a week prior to Spain.
Heather, which Camino do you plan to walk?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was tending my little bit of 'Spain in Oz' today.
Padron Peppers. A couple of small plants from last year and some new seeds sown ;)

And we invested a cheap Bread Machine. What amazing things those are!
Just tip in the ingredients and 3 hours later, freshly baked bread.

Which I have managed to get........to taste.......very like........Spanish Crusty Bread!
There goes the diet :rolleyes:

Oh, by the way. For those in lockdown in Sydney.
Rodriguez Brothers deliver!
The Morcilla de Burgos is very good ;)

Thinking of the VDLP once more as I want a long one after 2 years blank. Maybe even from Lisbon instead.
One of my favourites. I have a list, but time may beat me! Have you walked the Levante?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thinking of the VDLP once more as I want a long one after 2 years blank. Maybe even from Lisbon instead.
A long one for us as well , HRH is adamant lunch will be the main meal and we will stop , with accommodation we might have to be a bit more selective (open air to rooms) and with dinner it will be smallish and more than likely drowned.
Portugal had a better result than Spain and France thus Lisbon comes into the equation as well as considering Biarritz onwards along the Norte then coast after Ribadeo.

Newsflash! (I think!) Just watched a live announcement by PM Scott Morrison, regarding re-opening of our borders for international travel, and a QR code which will be recognized globally, confirming our vaccination status. If I heard correctly, these to come into effect next month (Nov 2021). More locally, the SA Australian Friends of the Camino group will gather finally on Sunday at Nunyara, for our St James blessing and dinner, postponed after the July lockdown. We'll have a lot to be thankful for, and to talk about! 🙏

Newsflash! (I think!) Just watched a live announcement by PM Scott Morrison, regarding re-opening of our borders for international travel, and a QR code which will be recognized globally, confirming our vaccination status. If I heard correctly, these to come into effect next month (Nov 2021). More locally, the SA Australian Friends of the Camino group will gather finally on Sunday at Nunyara, for our St James blessing and dinner, postponed after the July lockdown. We'll have a lot to be thankful for, and to talk about! 🙏
Hi Anna. Yes, heard that as well. Now for some planning.😀

Yes I am super super excited about been "let out of jail " and consequently drunk a bottle of Spanish wine and booked return business class (Lufthansa ) for $5974 SYD >MAD Easter 2022 . That is a great airfare ...now I have to train lol !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, I must be feeling optimistic. Two consecutive mornings on the cross trainer - the start of my Camino training. I have a lot of work to do!

Spent part of the weekend with a friend on the phone, both of us mining the delights of various airline offerings, and the prices for April next year were quite reasonable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kanga, Great to be back on the swing of the Camino and on the cusp of a Covid dawn here in the Blue Mountains.
We are so lucky and have been able to do 3 hour walks in the bush from our front door so Ce and I are actually fitter than before and rearing to go - just waiting for the airlines to open up which they're planning on doing.
NSW is now 70+% double dose and 90+% single dose - looks like 80% double dose will be before Oct 28th!
Tomorrow the whole of Greater Sydney (2Vax) can come and walk up here for hours or days at will and un-vaxxed from 1 Dec....light at the end of the tunnel at last!!
Planning now commencing for the real thing - stay safe!
Happy to suggest any length walk for those who want to come up!

Watching the news closely every day and checking to see if we can travel to the EU as yet - I still haven't worked that out. Are we able to? We could go via the UK if so.

Have been training with a pack every day too. I am planning for another CF July 2022 and probably the Ingles from Ferrol and then also to walk the A Coruna route too. I'm also considering scrapping that idea and just walking the Mozarabe from Almeria to Muxia - just taking the long way.

Ahh so many options....

Hi @TaraWalks

This is just my understanding and not anything official. So moderators please delete if you feel it’s not appropriate to post this.

As widely reported on ABC news and elsewhere - Our Federal Govt is anticipating / hoping to open our international borders on 1 November (at least to and from NSW) for fully vaccinated Australian residents to leave and/or return. Home quarantine is also being trialled for returning travellers.

At the other end it will depend on where you’re travelling to and that Country’s entry requirements. Within the EU countries, the EU digital certificates will come into play.

We booked flight departing Sydney to Paris late March and feel very confident of being able to travel to France then and on to Spain. Our flights are refundable if we have to cancel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @TaraWalks

This is just my understanding and not anything official. So moderators please delete if you feel it’s not appropriate to post this.

As widely reported on ABC news and elsewhere - Our Federal Govt is anticipating / hoping to open our international borders on 1 November (at least to and from NSW) for fully vaccinated Australian residents to leave and/or return. Home quarantine is also being trialled for returning travellers.

At the other end it will depend on where you’re travelling to and that Country’s entry requirements. Within the EU countries, the EU digital certificates will come into play.

We booked flight departing Sydney to Paris late March and feel very confident of being able to travel to France then and on to Spain. Our flights are refundable if we have to cancel.
Thanks for the info @Jenny@zen I'll be interested to see how entry to Europe goes and will be watching your Camino with interest.

The refundable flights are a good idea.

Buen Camino :)

I think that by the time you travel, countries will have sorted out the certificates issue, and by March the vaccination rates in the EU should be high enough to allow for travel. Travel to some countries, and I'm thinking of Switzerland, might not be as easy, as they're not part of the EU, but things will be sorted out by the time we want to travel. Hopefully ;)

PS. Once our borders open at this end, theoretically as fully vaccinated people we could fly in to France straight away. France has a traffic light system, with Australia regarded as a ‘green’ country. We will just need to provide proof of full vaccination and a declaration of no symptoms etc

Regarding flying directly to Spain - Lots of people on the forum have recently flown directly to Spain from US and elsewhere so I’d imagine their requirements were some combination of proof of vaccinations, antigens test, declaration.

I agree with @AJGuillaume - it’s all starting to come together and will likely be more steamlined by early next year. Call me an optimist .. I am! 😎

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It looks like the impediments are this end rather than Europe, i.e. they will let us in but can we get out and be let back in again afterwards? The other potential barrier is availability of flights. We are cautiously optimistic though. Fingers crossed for the Lana April 22.

It looks like the impediments are this end rather than Europe, i.e. they will let us in but can we get out and be let back in again afterwards? The other potential barrier is availability of flights. We are cautiously optimistic though. Fingers crossed for the Lana April 22.
The ban on outgoing for fully vaxxed expected to be lifted very soon. We found some good flight deals and once our border opens (speaking NSW, I suspect availability / prices might be a bit crazy for Christmas January travel but will settle down within a few months. That’s just my reading of the situation - a ‘fact free’ post!

Can anyone tell me if Robbo reads the forum?
As previously discussed in a previous post on this subject , could he be informed that we will have a champagne @ The Bentley then walk to Apollo in Potts Point ……it’s level walking thus no training needed.😂😂😇😇
Well done Sydney.

I will do the Penrith to Blackheath walk in November, provided family commitments allow. By then I am hoping to feel confident enough to book flights to Spain in April or May, but will definitely pay a few dollars more to have it refundable.

In the meantime - I'm very happy about the prospect of travelling all the way to Jervis Bay for a couple of days at the end of this month! Anyone on the forum who lives there - send me a PM and let's see if we can meet up for a walk. Or a cafe con leche (seated outside) while we bore each other with tales of the Camino.

I will do the Penrith to Blackheath walk in November, provided family commitments allow. By then I am hoping to feel confident enough to book flights to Spain in April or May, but will definitely pay a few dollars more to have it refundable.

In the meantime - I'm very happy about the prospect of travelling all the way to Jervis Bay for a couple of days at the end of this month! Anyone on the forum who lives there - send me a PM and let's see if we can meet up for a walk. Or a cafe con leche (seated outside) while we bore each other with tales of the Camino.
They both sound lovely. Enjoy!

NSW to scrap quarantine for international arrivals from November 1 in major policy shift​

Great news for everyone in NSW that wants to travel.
Hopefully WA will follow and I can have extra time walking rather than in quarantine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

NSW to scrap quarantine for international arrivals from November 1 in major policy shift​

Great news for everyone in NSW that wants to travel.
Hopefully WA will follow and I can have extra time walking rather than in quarantine.
Unfortunately, we will be lucky to get out next April. :(

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back