• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Cathedral of Santiago faces its first major rehabilitati

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
El Pais reports and includes 6 stunning photographs of the Portico: http://www.elpais.com/fotogaleria/Glori ... ul_2/Zes/2

The Portico da Gloria of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela came closer yesterday to returning to do justice to its name. An ambitious restoration of the facade of the cathedral, for which the Regional Government yesterday announced a 2.5 million budget, will allow technicians to undertake a task begun three years ago with the rise of scaffolds which has since covered the XII c sculpture built by Mestre Mateo. With the announcement of the Regional Minister of Culture, Roberto Varela, the process is accelerated which in recent years was hampered by economic, political and technical disagreements.
Once the Obradoiro facade is restored they can heal the disease of the Portico da Gloria. Hidden by scaffolding, the whole object all this time has been constant monitoring to localize the problems that accelerated their decline in recent decades and to design an intervention program that will last "about 24 months," said Javier Lopez director of the Foundation Barrie de la Maza, financing entity.
The fact that the results of studies in the Portico were released the same day that the decision of the Regional Government to inject € 2.5 million to the restoration of the facade was due to a coordinated action between public and private .
The foundation has invested two million in the previous studies and disburse the same in the restoration of the Portico de la Gloria, which will not begin until they have completed the work on the facade. The 2.5 million that will go the regional government, as well as for intervention, to set up a Technical Office of Rehabilitation, responsible for preparing the way for a future cash flow, based on the collection of tickets to visitors to certain parts of temple
The structural leaks of the cathedral are an old problem dragging on from the eighteenth century. The Cathedral Program, a scientific committee coordinated by the restorer of the Institute of Cultural Heritage of Spain and Francisco Concha Prado Surgeon, Doctor of Medieval Art at the University of Harvard, has led a hard work of documentation of the Portico da Gloria, studies of five-preserved polychrome paint layers, including the original, and environmental analysis on the influence of temperature, humidity or continuous flow of tourists to this privileged corner of the temple.
The intervention phase will begin with a six-month trial, which will continue the work. One of the most striking findings was the presence of salts in the stone, which are being carried by moisture causing the loss of the colors that once decorated the stone figures of the whole.
The techniques chosen to clean the four types of granite used in construction vary by state of conservation of stone, from suction, brush or laser in the most delicate areas, such as those in which the low layer of paint, or even parts of the figures present a risk of detachment.
Another evil, resulting from high humidity and dust, is the existence of colonies of algae embedded in the stone, which will be eliminated. Restorers will draw the wax and cement used in the past century unfortunate interventions, which complicated the transpiration and accelerated blackening of the stone. There will be a conservation plan, still being drafted, to set measures to preserve the monument, including those concerning the use and management of the property.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Sil, for this information and the pictures. I stand in awe that God should have gifted a human person to be able to carve such wonderful figures out of stone.

Did you know that the bishop was so angry with Master Matheo for having put the statue of himself at the Jesse tree that he had him thrown out of the Cathedral on the day of its opening. A couple of nights later a gang accosted Matheo at night and beat him up and killed him. His death was never enquired into. Makes me ashamed. I think that Matheo was right to put his own statue there. He was humbly acknowledging the gift that God had given him.

I didn't know the story of Mateo's death - incredible!
I've lost count of the number of times I've visited the cathedral - walked there 6 times, been to at least a dozen masses and have always made a point of spending time looking at the Portico de la Gloria. I have always only seen happy, smiling faces but these close up photos show another side, a monster pulling out the tongue of one poor creature with a pair of pliers! The human suffering of Revelations, and the monster on the other side of God. Stories in stone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm very big on historical buildings: palaces, governmental, private and, especially, cathedrals.

I'd be interested to learn, if and when they determine that any part of the facade is repaired/replaced, if the stone masons will add something indicative of this century.

For example: Here is the Youtube video of the "spaceman" at the Salamancha Cathedral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0fq3Xr_GAQ

Happy New Year!

Arn

Lydia Gillen said:
Thanks Sil, for this information and the pictures. I stand in awe that God should have gifted a human person to be able to carve such wonderful figures out of stone.

Did you know that the bishop was so angry with Master Matheo for having put the statue of himself at the Jesse tree that he had him thrown out of the Cathedral on the day of its opening. A couple of nights later a gang accosted Matheo at night and beat him up and killed him. His death was never enquired into. Makes me ashamed. I think that Matheo was right to put his own statue there. He was humbly acknowledging the gift that God had given him.

However, this is not more than just a legend. The last that we hear about Matteo is the inscription on the underside of the lintel in the Pórtico de la Gloria from 1188. How long he still lived afterwards, is as unknown as the question whether he has been only the Magister operis (master builder) or also the sculptor of the Pórtico.

Greetings

Christoph

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
miguel_gp said:
...or maybe it doesn't, according to El Pais!

Thank you for the interesting articles, Sil and Miguel. I hope, they will take the money for the restoration and not for the marketing of the cathedral. The cathedral chapter can market only things which it can also show. And now the restoration is necessary, not only in three or five years.

Greetings

Christoph

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back