• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The CELL PHONE Pilgrims!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Ti

There is something that is bothering me a lot on the Camino I have walk. It is the CELL PHONE Pilgrims!

These pilgrims never talk to others because there nose will be in the phone if lost!

In restaurants they have no contact with others because there noses are in there phones,!

Others carrying a GPS will have their nose in the phone if lost instead of asking a local for help!

Arriving at the albergue they are not talking to anyone because there noses are in there phone admiring their Selfies!!!!

I think this attitude is not good in a pilgrimage and should be avoided

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You used words like "never" and made harsh statements that don't look behind the appearances. If those pilgrims prefer not to interact with you or others, why can't you leave them alone? I sometimes have my "nose in my phone" and have become quite self-conscious of people judging my attitude.

Pretty judgemental. Would it be nice if people took part and were open and experiencing more freedom from electronics...probably. You never know what's going on elsewhere, or maybe they have anxidty and it's comforting for the time, etc. If you don't want to do it then don't, but leave others to their own experiences.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is something that is bothering me a lot on the Camino I have walk. It is the CELL PHONE Pilgrims!

These pilgrims never talk to others because there nose will be in the phone if lost!

In restaurants they have no contact with others because there noses are in there phones,!

Others carrying a GPS will have their nose in the phone if lost instead of asking a local for help!

Arriving at the albergue they are not talking to anyone because there noses are in there phone admiring their Selfies!!!!

Your general sentiment is probably applicable to everyday life, not specifically on a camino - or walking holiday, as many see it.

Live, and let live. If you don’t like it, then don’t do it - but allow others to do as they wish providing they harm no other.

I think you get back what you give out. If you are fixated by so called 'cellphone pilgrims' then your awareness is a listening post to the universe. There's no such term as a 'cellphone pilgrim' only pilgrim and its their choice as it is yours. Response over I'm going back to my cellphone, oops just occurred to me I'm on it 🤠

I do agree that cellphones mean people don't see each other they way they used to. It's universal, not confined to the camino. It does not stop me striking up conversations with complete strangers. Maybe I've reached the age where I'm fearless about being rejected. And no longer have teenage children to mortify.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And no longer have teenage children to mortify.
Never seemed to slow ME down..........

But to the point of the OP, which is an attempt to set behavior standards for others, I cannot agree. Its true that my right to swing my fist ends at your face, but its hard to see how a pilgrim who chooses to spend their time on facebook impacts their fellow pilgrim's rights, or even their peaceful enjoyment. Not my preference either ( I don't spend time on phones), but I do not feel entitled to tell people how they should or should not spend their time in order to agree with my sensibilities.

My goal is to focus on my experience on my upcoming Camino. To work on myself and be more tolerant as a whole. I agree with OP that I do spend time on my phone. But some of the things I do on my phone is learn Spanish, read Spanish history and write to family and friends. To stay connected. I hope not to focus on what others do or don’t do but instead do the right thing for me while remaining respectful of our differences. I’m a work in progress, for the rest of my life.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why would you think people are in the least bit concerned that you are concerned that they are using their phones?

Maybe they think it is more important to keep their friends and family informed of their progress than you.

With your attitude I would probably want to stare at a blank screen.

You do your thing. Let others do theirs.

I spend a massive amount of time on my cellphone planning my pilgrimage, but relatively little on it while walking. I spend too much time between pilgrimages wishing that I were there to want to direct my attention somewhere else when I have finally made it to Spain. But I am grateful to have it to use when I need to find a bed for the night or fear that I am lost. For me, it is a tool, not a relationship. But others may choose, or need, to have much more contact with their extra-camino life than I do. As an extreme introvert, I prefer to walk the less busy routes and to be open to the scenery around me and the occasional person whom I meet. I go on pilgrimage as a form of retreat, and try to keep myself open to whatever it sends me. I leave others to experience their walk/pilgrimage as seems best to them.
One note of caution: I see so many people in my home town walking through the city and across streets with all their attention focused on their cellphones. Don't try this on camino. It is much too dangerous.

I find comfort in the words, "You do YOU, and I'll do ME!" ;)

They could just be reading a good book!

And yes, it could be a distraction if you let it.
But there are plenty of people willing to chat if you want.
In fact, there are restaurants with signs outside saying, "No wifi - TALK to each other!"
So.. the Camino has something for everyone!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All this being said, I understand what the OP was talking about. It's kind of sad. I remember the days when I had to check with "General Delivery" at the post office in the next town to see if I had letters from home. It is easy, nowadays, to get sucked into the phone and not experience what and who is immediately around you. I find that even walking with another pilgrim interferes with me experiencing the here and now sometimes. I don't mean to judge people with noses in cell phones, but I have to admit I also don't like this trend.

My mobile is almost permanently in airplane mode ... my offspring despair of me 😉
As does my beloved when he can’t find me when we’re shopping in the local market town.

I’m going to have to familiarise myself with how it does what it does before I attempt to use it on Camino.

I use an iPad ... and I’m certainly not carting this around with me 😳

I'm also bothered by the behaviour of other pilgrims.

Especially by the ones that are constantly disturbing me when all I want is to be on my own and connect with other pilgrims when I feel like it.

They start talking to me all the time.
Even in restaurants when all I want is to drink a cup of coffee or have my dinner on my own. They just ask "Is this seat free?" and sit down without waiting for my reply. Then they start talking to me and asking all kind of questions like "Where are you from" or "Why are you walking this Camino".

They even bother the locals. Asking them for directions. This happens to these locals all the time: a constant flow of pilgrims asking for directions when all these locals really want is to go mind their own business.

Even in the albergues these talkative pilgrims can't leave me in peace. I'd just like to rest a bit and contemplate about the day and what I've experienced. They just keep on talking and talking and talking.

Thankfully I've got this cell phone. I just put my nose in it. This is about the only thing that helps keeping these pilgrims from bothering me. And still enables me to connect with other people when both I and the other one(s) feel like connecting....

(take a look at the link posted by Trecile to a thread that is also relevant)

;)

Seriously: I'm of a generation that doesn't crawl into his/her cell phone and uses the thing moderately. But I don't regard people that use a cell phone intensively as being 'wrong'. They are not. Times are changing. And so are the ways people spend their time or communicate with others. Technological developments tend to change the way we live. For the better? Maybe not. For the worse? Maybe not.

Anyway, I try to think of it as neither good or bad. Just maybe different from the way I do things. So if an other pilgrims is glued to his/her cell phone I just respect that. There are others to spend time with or talk to. Or I get a chance to talk with them later. So people spending time on their cell phone doesn't bother me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree that you should not be judgmental about what others do - there could be all sorts of reasons why somebody is on the phone.

On the other hand I personally don’t understand this general trend of needing to be constantly ’on line’ mostly because I feel that it is taking attention away from what is immediately happening around you. I never hear music when I walk and my phone is always in plane mode. In the evenings when having dinner I very much like if the opportunity arises to have a conversation with (a) stranger(s), but I’m also fine if it doesn’t happen. Then I’ll just sit and enjoy the ‘ambient activity’ and I would feel strange if I cut myself off from it - but that’s just me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I find the phrase 'Don't be judgmental' to be a synonym for 'Don't have an opinion that may upset me'. If people want to spend their time looking at their phones that's entirely up to them, but it does not mean that others cannot think that it's a monumental waste of time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Finland Everybody has a cellphone, kids get the first one before they start school. We use phone to contact others, to buy things, to order food, pay bills, watch videos (of camino!), take pictures, send messages, book hotels, doctor's appointments or use services like tax or social authorities, to contact childrens school - and even make phone calls. Basicly everything. We have the best WiFi in the world and soon 5G. We can use our phones, internet and apps in Europe limitless and have no extra costs.

So, for me having or using the phone on camino does not mean anything special, it's just a tool that I use everywhere anyway. It does not add or take anything out of my experience on camino. I don't go there to meet other people but to meet myself and God. And I don't think a phone could stop Him 😊 Peace and Buen Camino!

Thank you all for your comments!

I am realizing that I am opening a can of worms here and this is really not what I want to do.

I also realize that my English level does not allowing me to explain myself correctly.

All this to say that I did 2 caminos without a cellphone and 1 with.

I prefer the experience without the cellphone simply because I was not affected to the fact that I felt oblige to check it all the time and made a more close and concentrated Camino for me.

Voila pour l'explication!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I prefer the experience without the cellphone simply because I was not affected to the fact that I felt oblige to check it all the time and made a more close and concentrated Camino for me.
I walked my first two Caminos without a phone. Or internet access. I have taken a phone with me for my most recent journeys. It is a useful tool in many ways but I do not feel obliged to use it. Just as I do not feel obliged to be available for conversation with everyone I meet. The original post seemed to be suggesting that personal interaction with other pilgrims is part of the essential nature of a pilgrimage. Not my understanding. My early pilgrimage experience was mostly solitary and I still seek that type of journey. I often enjoy direct personal encounters with other pilgrims but I neither actively seek them out or expect them to be mine by right.

I wish I had taken more pictures with my cell phone and added a narrative at the moment the picture was taken. Also shared it at the same time with family back home on social media.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like to walk alone and in silence most of the day. If someone has their face in their phone and they are not running into me, more power to them. A few years ago on the Norte I was walking on a very beautiful and quiet road. I came around a corner and there was a man in front of me, we exchanged Buen caminos and about 30 seconds later he received a phone call. He spoke so loud he didn't need his cell phone to talk to the other party. For the life of me I couldn't seem to shake him. I would walk fast and he would be right behind. I stopped for a while and, WHAT???? He would have stopped about 200 meters ahead. It took about 30 minutes to rid myself of this guy when I stopped in the first cafe I could find. More power to people who have their heads in the phone texting or reading or posting or whatever else they are doing. As long as they aren't bothering me who cares ;) :) There area alot worse penal offenses being committed than this to worry about. Like the guy in the bunk above who hasn't taken a shower in the last 2000k.

While on Camino, I use my cell phone primarily to check this forum to see who is judging me for using my cell phone. ;)

Kidding aside, my relationship with cell phones was forever changed when my son was in combat daily in Afghanistan. We never knew when he might call, so my phone was on & within reach or on my person 24/7. I want need for my family to be able to reach me at any moment anywhere in the world.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I want need for my family to be able to reach me at any moment anywhere in the world.
That raises other questions by itself. When mobile phones did not exist were there substantial numbers of people who were deterred from walking a long-distance pilgrimage or other remote travel because it put them out of 24/7 contact with home? Didn't occur to me as a factor at the time. My own suspicion is that such a 'need' has only been perceived by most of us since the technical ability to fulfil it has been available. You probably do not miss what you have never known.

Last edited:
I'm 50 and quite well travelled so I've seen things evolve from using guide books in foreign places, looking for shops that sells English newspapers, internet cafes (remember them?), every shape of camera and phone card. Fast forward to all of this being on the phone - it's fantastic and who wouldn't use one?

(My first experience of Google Translate as a two way conversation tool was with a Hospitalero who had limited English.)

So if people want to use them in a restaurant, is it really so different to reading a book?

That raises other questions by itself. When mobile phones did not exist were there substantial numbers of people who were deterred from walking a long-distance pilgrimage or other remote travel specifically because it put them out of 24/7 contact with home? Didn't occur to me as a factor at the time. My own suspicion is that such a 'need' has only been perceived by most of us since the technical ability to fulfill it has been available. You probably do not miss what you have never known.
Being available for my wife and sons is of utmost importance to me, so the lack of on-demand communication would have most likely prevented me from making a long-distance pilgrimage. Regarding your last statement, you are correct. My first Camino I used the Brierley guidebook, which was fine at the time. But, once I discovered the Wise Pilgrim/Wisely+ ap, there was no going back to the paperback book.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe I've reached the age where I'm fearless about being rejected
I think I must have got to that point, on previous caminos I have arrived at the start gone to the Albergue and kept myself to myself, then you usually make contacts over the next days or weeks. On my last one I arrived at the Albergue in Carrion de Los Condes at 6pm and then started to go through keeping myself to myself routine when I decided to walk to the center of the room and just introduced myself to the other 11- 12 pilgrims there, I ended up walking with them to Santiago, we are almost in daily contact, and 1 of them will be on Camino with me in April. What changed? Probably me giving a toss of thinking about what other people think of me, and for experienced Caminoists you all know that that you will end up making friendships anyway with people you had initial reservations about.

But to keep it on topic, the subject of phones is worth discussing, maybe someone might take strength to decide to not walk with their thoughts and attention in the electronic cloud and they may get a totally different experience, I have done both, with and without, it's hard to sell 'without' because the value you experience from it is so subtle that it's almost impossible to convey.

Last edited:
If people want to spend their time looking at their phones that's entirely up to them, but it does not mean that others cannot think that it's a monumental waste of time.
Absolutely true. But it is a generalization that has limited value in terms of understanding that person, and it is better just thought rather than spoken, for the following reason
for experienced Caminoists you all know that that you will end up making friendships anyway with people you had initial reservations about.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The celligrinos...! :eek:

Some of them could be writing/publishing about their Camino on social media. To help others, to share experiences, to keep in contact with their loved ones. It's not like everyone is playing Candycrush! :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got rid of my smartphone almost five years ago. It originally was when my contract ended. I decided to wait a few weeks before renewing and getting another phone. That was as I stated almost five years ago. This has worked fine for me. I do have a tablet and it is enough for me. I haven't even taken that on my last few Camino's. Granted my wife who is still working has her phone, but again only for emergencies. She rarely uses it other than to check for bus or plane connections.
Everyone should do what works best for them and try not to judge. Some have businesses or work where the reality is that they can't be out of touch for the length of their Camino. Or any number of other personal situations.
I will agree it is a little sad that in many albergues, people seem to have their noses buried in their phones versus engaging with other pilgrims. People they will never cross paths with again.
I realized a few Camino's ago that people at home really could care less about my Camino or what they deemed my 'holiday' pictures.
So it is sad that many miss a vital part of their Camino by failing to meet and engage with other pilgrims.
While I tend to an introvert at heart, I do like to engage others one on one when the opportunity arises.

I understand the concern with the over use of cell phones and also worry that people are missing out on experiencing daily life and the world around them, but I ask myself if I would feel the same if someone where buried in a prayer book or even a guide rather than their phone. As long as they are not being loud or rude then I think I will feel a little regret for them missing out on life around them, maybe wonder what I may miss by not following their example (unlikely), and go on my way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you all for your comments!

I am realizing that I am opening a can of worms here and this is really not what I want to do.

I also realize that my English level does not allowing me to explain myself correctly.

All this to say that I did 2 caminos without a cellphone and 1 with.

Voila pour l'explication!
Ah, it comes a little clearer what you were thinking.
Sometimes when someone has their phone to their nose or their earbuds in it's because they're just not up to dealing with the world at that moment. If you're concerned about them, you could say a silent prayer for them and let them rest from interactions. Like smiling at someone, a silent prayer is a good deed that costs you nothing and might be helpful in ways you will never know.

I can go all day without checking the cell phone. In fact, when walking on the pilgrimage, it sits in the backpack, turned off. All day, generally. Its purpose is not to be a leash that keeps us from leaving our distractions at home.

The way to enjoy the meditative experience is simply to turn the darned thing off and put it into the pack. Under the lid, where it won't get rained on. Then you can focus on the path, or pray, or meditate...I confess that if I don't focus on the path there might be a face-plant in my personal future. But everyone is different.

To reassure the family, I use the free wifi in alburgues or bars to post to a blog using a tablet. The family knows which email to use if something comes up. If there were anything that really needed response, I can send an email back. They know that I'm not instantly available to run home and they're grownups anyway.

The tablet screen did help us walk from Chamartin (train station) to Puerto del Sol in Madrid at the end, just because the map is a usable size and better than those teensy things in guidebooks. So there is that use for electronics. But it's neither a social use nor a useful escape from socializing. Just a tool.

Just my $.02

As several people above have done, I also put my phone in aeroplane mode when walking, with just GPS active (to save battery for when I might need it). My wife keeps her phone active in case of family emergencies (my son might call to find out where I keep the fish food for the pond fish)

But, when my day is done its switched back on again to catch-up with my kids, book my next accommodation, trawl around this forum and countless other very valuable and unmissable chores ;)

So, guilty as charged, but I really don't care - Its my Camino :cool:👣🚶‍♂️

A lot has been said about respecting pilgrims wishes not to interact with fellow pilgrims, and not to judge those with noses to their phones. And that’s fine. It’s been suggested that we might say a silent prayer for those who may not be up to dealing with the world at that moment. And that’s fine too.

But how about a thought also for the pilgrim who walks into a bar, craving some interaction with a fellow pilgrim, and finds everyone with their nose to the phone. I know it’s no one’s responsibility to provide distraction to someone else ... I’m just putting the thought out there.

On the other hand, I gather extroverts are in the majority, so I guess the person who craves interaction with his fellow pilgrims can just wait a little while and an extrovert will surely find him.

However, he may not be an extrovert, but an introvert who really needs some interaction with a fellow pilgrim. Gosh, I am rambling ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Not just on the Camino, this is common throughout Europe ...

FWIW I think it's a fad, but it will be one of those that will take a long time for people to move on past, similarly I expect to how long it took people to move on past the Sony Walkman one ...

hmmmmm, in my experience, locals (outside the Francès) can often offer some stunningly bad advice, so much so that it's just pot luck if it's any good or not !!

But I find it's best to combine GPS with local advice, as each can provide a good safety net for the other.

But overall I agree -- keeping your nose stuck in your phone is hardly the best way to follow the Way of Saint James !!!

The original post seemed to be suggesting that personal interaction with other pilgrims is part of the essential nature of a pilgrimage. Not my understanding. My early pilgrimage experience was mostly solitary and I still seek that type of journey. I often enjoy direct personal encounters with other pilgrims but I neither actively seek them out or expect them to be mine by right.

Well quite !!

That raises other questions by itself. When mobile phones did not exist were there substantial numbers of people who were deterred from walking a long-distance pilgrimage or other remote travel because it put them out of 24/7 contact with home? Didn't occur to me as a factor at the time.

FWIW, that actually was a real concern back in the 1990s when larger numbers of people started getting onto the Camino. And so you would see people waiting their turn at the payphones, to make their daily or thrice-weekly phone calls back home to reassure their relatives ; and I heard stories from people for whom it was really a wrench to take themselves out of their routines of multiple daily contacts with family & friends, and who would worry about the effect that the Camino was going to have in their personal lives, worrying that some of those people might be feeling betrayed or let down or something.

Or alternatively and oppositely, but it's the same thing really, being very worried themselves about the people back home.

So yes, it was definitely a real part of the decision-making process at the time, about whether to do this Camino thing or not.

And of course those with work-related needs, even when they are away on work leave & vacation.

Smartphones at least have been of beneficial impact for those like this, who are in a real position of conflict between their needs and the needs of others back home, and the need to get out and onto the Camino alone instead.

My own suspicion is that such a 'need' has only been perceived by most of us since the technical ability to fulfil it has been available. You probably do not miss what you have never known.

hmmmmm, I think this is a chicken-or-egg question

Personally, I never have needed and never will need to be in constant contact with others, regardless how much time I spend typing into these interwebs. But not everyone is like us, Bradypus ...

Last edited:
OTOH on my 2014 I was blamed by several people for NOT ensuring my daily presence via smartphone in their digital "lives" ... so either way, you can't win !!

€46,-
All this talk of engaging with other pilgrims on the Camino from elsewhere... I especially love talking to and learning from the locals. I'm kind of a genealogy buff (and I have traced several of my friends' lines here in New Mexico back to northern Spain). I had a very interesting conversation with these two old men - in their 90s - who had been friends all their lives in their small village. I asked them how long their families had lived there, how many generations. They looked at me funny and said, "forever." They were serious. One of them showed me his house and told me how, in the old days, before his time, the ground floor held the farm animals and the family lived upstairs. It had been converted several times through many generations. Now, the kids have moved to the city and most of the village consists of elderly folks, like these guys. But some weekends and on fiesta days, their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren come home. How lucky they are. (I tried to post a picture of the two men, but my modem is messed up and won't let me. Will try again later.)

I find it better to have my nose in a cell phone than in other people's business. Just saying.
😆
I have only walked one Camino without a phone, it was my 1st one, on my list of things I was preoccupied about other people's business was way down, down, down that list if at all. I believe it's not unknown for people with mobiles to have an interest in other people's business via the internet. Just Saying.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

People tend to do whatever they do at home. Some people drink a lot. Actually a lot of people drink a lot, depending on season. Some people have their nose in the phone. Some people stress all along the Camino.

But they are all here to change and realize their patterns, not to be perfect pilgrims.

Best,
Andy

I used to be bothered by cell phone users, but in this day and age, it's the easiest way for people to communicate, relieve stress, etc. and I don't focus on that anymore. I love using my cell for photos and checking in with my family. Let it go and focus on what you do instead. Look inward to make a change, not outward towards everyone else - make peace. Buen camino!

What other people are doing with their devices is none of my business.

And maybe it does reduce the friendly spontaneous conversations with other pilgrims along the way - but that's not the only or even the main reason I walk, so it's not so much of an issue. Those who are seeking camino family might feel otherwise.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the days before cellphones I carried maps to find my way, a guind so on pens and paper to write my diary, a book to read, all the time I used these means I was not in contact with my fellow walkers. A cellphone has some more functions that I gladly would have had in those days for instance staying connected with the"homefront" or finding actual information on the route and so on.

People tend to do whatever they do at home. Some people drink a lot. Actually a lot of people drink a lot, depending on season. Some people have their nose in the phone. Some people stress all along the Camino.

But they are all here to change and realize their patterns, not to be perfect pilgrims.

Best,
Andy

I really like this!

I think I walk to seek the space to be/do what becomes possible for me to be/do, free of daily responsibilities (other than the most basic).
That said, I feel it wouldn’t be of much use if I couldn’t take it back out into the world ...

I don’t drink (at any time, as I no longer want my consciousness ‘artificially’ altered) .... I think, feel, breathe, walk, within the simple discipline of a Camino day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I find people that are in restaurants and bars using cell phones very annoying and they're all over the world. You cannot do anything about it.

At least if they're on their phone they're leaving you alone. I don't really care too much what others do as long as it doesn't involve a selfie stick.

€46,-
At least if they're on their phone they're leaving you alone. I don't really care too much what others do as long as it doesn't involve a selfie stick.
And even then, if they are sticking the thing in my way...

The only circumstance in which I found other pilgrims' use of cellphones frustrating was in the pilgrim lounge in San Martin Pinario, where I always stay after my caminos. After a thousand kms of a solo camino (VdlP), and even after other shorter walks, I have found myself wishing for some personal contact with other newly arrived pilgrims. Until recently, the only place where pilgrims had access to wifi was in the lounge: hence packed with a multitude of pilgrims on their phones. While I didn't use wifi in San Martin after my most recent camino, I found the other pilgrims in the lounge to be less involved with their phones and more inclined to respond to a social approach than on my previous stays there. I was content with a few superficial interactions, but, to my surprise, seemed to feel a need for them after a long period of solitude, and was glad that the wall of phones no longer stood in my way.

Since I have my phone forwarded and only use wifi, it is really used as a camera when walking. When at a rest stop or not wanting to interact, I have to use the age-old behaviour of a slight scowl or sitting at a slight angle so I can enjoy a view, peace, and quiet without having someone feel like they are somehow entitled to bother me. 😎🤣

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I'm confused as to why this bothers you? Are they using your phone? Stealing your wifi? hmmm I travel solo and like to communicate with my family on breaks. If I want to talk to people, I pay attention to see if there are others who look like they are open to a chat. And that is a big IF I want to talk to people. I promise not to use your phone so my use of electronics doesn't bother you.

I found it intriguing to see couples sitting together or resting tin their respective bunks buried in their iPads at the end of the day. If they didn't feel the need to talk to one another why assume that a perfect stranger is obliged to talk to me? The one cell phone junkie that got my goat was a French businessman who spent much of the way into Sahagun shouting into his phone about "trois mille Euro". The guy he was walking with got so disgusted he abandoned him and walked on. He then decided to try to catch up with the guy so he started to walk while still shouting. As I heard him coming up behind me I just stopped and waited several minutes until he was out out earshot. At least those with their noses buried are silent. ;)

Last edited:
I am sorry that you feel this way, I was a cell phone pilgrim myself. I rarely used it while walking, except to take pictures and check my maps. I did use it for GPS because my Spanish isn't very good, and I struggle with social anxiety and auditory processing disorder.
And yes, I used it while eating and in Albergues, because in those places I had WiFi. I was sharing piece of my experience with the people I love, talking and uploading pictures so that my family who'd never be able to go to Spain could see it from my eyes. So my mother could know I was safe (I was twenty at the time, it was my first trip abroad, and aside from my grandfather's deployment, the first person in my family to spend real time abroad).
And, shockingly, my phone did not keep me from interacting with other pilgrims. I struck up many conversations with other pilgrims over meals and at the end of long days. I am sorry that you are so hostile to something that I think enriched my pilgrim experience, and at the very least, did not spoil it in any way. I'm sorry others use their personal items is apparently spoiling yours.

In what way are the actually impacting you?
When I go out to a restaurant for a meal, I want to enjoy a conversation with my wife. People talking on cell phones next to me often get into loud conversations with either business or kids. Very distracting and inconsiderate. When I'm dining out and get a call on my cell, I take it outside the dining area.

When I go out to a restaurant for a meal, I want to enjoy a conversation with my wife. People talking on cell phones next to me often get into loud conversations with either business or kids. Very distracting and inconsiderate. When I'm dining out and get a call on my cell, I take it outside the dining area.
I agree about the loud conservation. But I think that the original post here was not about people talking on their phones, but reading, texting, etc.

I hate that too. The best part of the Camino for me was NOT using my cell phone except to contact someone to meet up with. No Facebook. No email. No Whatsapp. It was heaven!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hate that too. The best part of the Camino for me was NOT using my cell phone except to contact someone to meet up with. No Facebook. No email. No Whatsapp. It was heaven!
I agree that staying away from social media/email while on the Camino has made my last couple of walks even better. Took me awhile to figure this out. Being away from home and out of touch with any local news from home or international news is even better!

Hi Jean Ti... can I just ask... would you be so bothered if I had my nose in a book? Or if I was looking at the photos on my camera? Or if I was simply engrossed say in some tourist information about the town or village? Are you bothered by these more traditional methods of personal distraction too... or is it only a cellphone?

Can I stress this isn’t a sarcastic question... I know the written word might appear that way... I am just curious ... would a paperback book cause as much distress?

Hi Jean Ti... can I just ask... would you be so bothered if I had my nose in a book? Or if I was looking at the photos on my camera? Or if I was simply engrossed say in some tourist information about the town or village? Are you bothered by these more traditional methods of personal distraction too... or is it only a cellphone?

Can I stress this isn’t a sarcastic question... I know the written word might appear that way... I am just curious ... would a paperback book cause as much distress?
Books are great. They don't make noise and are wonderful. I applaud people who still read books

Books are great. They don't make noise and are wonderful. I applaud people who still read books

Books are great... I read lots. When I’m walking my books are on my kindle... that’s pretty quiet too.

At home I love old books. I have so many books that I keep just because I loved them and can’t bear to part with them.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When walking Camino Francés last September, I would use my phone at cafes and auberges when free Wi-Fi was offered. This provided an opportunity to connect with my friends and family, particularly as I was traveling alone. One morning, I looked around at all of ‘us’ with noses to phones and said ‘I guess our predecessor pilgrims who forged these trails hundreds of years ago would find their own ways at documenting their experiences, send messages to loved ones and maybe be more motivated to engage with others’. We all had a good laugh and I think we enjoyed meaningful discussion and awareness. I was putting the thought out for myself as much as for others. I did not find Cel phone use interfered with my connection with others.
I believe that the approach others have in their pilgrimage is a private experience that is as unique as we all are and must be respected. I had no particular reason for walking - just wanted to do it!! Why does there have to be a definitive reason? We had a saying when I walked ‘my Camino, my way’!
Buen Camino as I am sitting on my back deck with a hot coco dreaming of spring (in Canada)!
NancyLee 🙋🏻‍♀️🇨🇦☎️

I read books, they just happen to be on my Kindle or my phone. The words are the same, and trees don't have to be destroyed.

Having spent my entire career in the paper industry, paper is made primarily from forest waste. So the sawdust, off cuts from lumber operations are made into paper. This also includes most paper as used for folding or corrugated boxes.
They aren't whacking down trees and grinding them up to make paper. Paper is primarily made out of what would otherwise be burned as waste.
So a paper book actually has less effect on the environment than dealing with the battery in your Kindle/smart phone when it eventually fails.

As long as the "cell phone pilgrim" doesn't bother me or other peregrinos what he or she does with the phone is not my business.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Inconsiderate behavior can involve a cell phone:
The one cell phone junkie that got my goat was a French businessman who spent much of the way into Sahagun shouting into his phone about "trois mille Euro".
People talking on cell phones next to me often get into loud conversations with either business or kids. Very distracting and inconsiderate.
...but not always.
Quiet phone use is hardly an intrusion.

Paper is primarily made out of what would otherwise be burned as waste.
So a paper book actually has less effect on the environment than dealing with the battery in your Kindle/smart phone when it eventually fails.
Oh. I had no idea.
Sigh.

You seem to worry about the behaviour and habits of others.........rather a lot.
You must lead a very stressful life ;)

Learn not to care............. :)

€149,-
Inconsiderate behavior can involve a cell phone:

...but not always.
Quiet phone use is hardly an intrusion.

Oh. I had no idea.
Sigh.
It actually depends on how many books you read on your e-reader.

It actually depends on how many books you read on your e-reader.
Very interesting! So far, most of my reading is still done on paper books from the library, which probably makes me very virtuous. I'm afraid I cannot justify my extensive phone usage by the number of books I read thereon. However, I'll keep that little fact handy for when it is useful 🤣

Very interesting! So far, most of my reading is still done on paper books from the library, which probably makes me very virtuous. I'm afraid I cannot justify my extensive phone usage by the number of books I read thereon. However, I'll keep that little fact handy for when it is useful 🤣
I got my first Kindle about 10 years ago, and passed it on to my husband when I received a Paper White Kindle about 6 years ago. We are still using both devices, so I think that we have offset the manufacturing carbon costs. And of course reading books on the Kindle app on a phone that you have anyway seems pretty carbon neutral.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
paper is made primarily from forest waste. So the sawdust, off cuts from lumber operations are made into paper. This also includes most paper as used for folding or corrugated boxes.
They aren't whacking down trees and grinding them up to make paper. Paper is primarily made out of what would otherwise be burned as waste.

It may be different where you live, but not true here. I used to live near to a large paper and pulp mill and 100% of the wood came from trees that were grown and cut down specifically for making paper.

€46,-
The last paper company I worked for used 100% recycled paper for a fibre source. Both post consumer waste and trim waste from paper box manufacturing plants. This company in Canada started doing this in the 1960's, decades before the environment or environmentalism was even a thing.
Pretty well pioneered the paper recycling process. Paper recycling is the most successful out of any recycling initiative by far.
There are still mills that use virgin fibre as their feed source as it cheaper than recycled paper. Older mills stilll use virgin fibre as the process is significantly different between the two feed stocks making older mill upgrades prohibitally expensive.
A very high percentage of bailed paper waste from North America goes to China that has a limited virgin fibre source. China has a huge paper mill industry and a very highly state of the art paper plants.
Recycling of lithium batteries is not currently cost effective and very environmentally dangerous. Will be a huge issue once electric cars get more mainstream and batteries reach their service life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back