• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Celtic Camino - Any Advice?

Paul McG

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Portugués, S. Salvador, Primitivo, Inglés
Hi All,
To those of you who have hiked The Celtic Camino [i.e. the Camino Inglés + a pilgrim way in Ireland], can you tell me if it was indeed possible to attain a Compostella from the pilgrim office in Santiago?

I have hiked the Kerry Camino [Tralee to Dingle] and have the certificate to prove it. Do I have to bring this certificate with me, or do I have to run it by the Camino Society in St James', Dublin?

Also - any useful info about the route Ferrol-Santiago, would be much appreciated :)

Go n-Éirí Bhur mBóthar Libh!

Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You don't need to run it by anyone. If you have a few stamps and a Celtic cert showing 27km or more, you'll be fine walking from A Coruña to Santiago to get a compostela. Bring the cert with you.. (it's officially 73km from A Coruña). If you walk from Ferrol you won't need a Celtic cert as it's over 100km. Don't sweat it. Camino Ingles is very popular now and well marked.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had no problem in June 2022 with getting my Compostela at the pilgrims office. In Ireland, I walked St. Kevins Way, there is no certificate for this. The Irish Camino Society sent me a Celtic Camino certificate, when I sent them a copy of my 2 Wicklow stamps. Off I went to Galacia a week later, and had a lovely camino from A Coruna to Santiago
It was a nightmare getting out of A Coruna, with few markers, and all difficult to locate. This is mentioned in John Brierlys' 2022 guidebook, but of course I thought it could'nt be that difficult. Once out of the city, it seemed to be marked every 50m!
On my second day I met a group who had taken a taxi to the outskirts, having read John Brierlys' comments about the lack of signage

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.