• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Celtic Camino

Paul McG

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Portugués, S. Salvador, Primitivo, Inglés
For those of you who have walked The Celtic Camino [25Km in Ireland + El Camino Inglés], can you please advise as to a good Irish stage of this Camino? I am firstly concerned with getting my Credencial stamped with a sello/séala that will be recognized by the Santiago Compostella office.

Any news on albergues/brúnna would also be of great help.

This is a link to the current suggested routes according to the Camino Society:

Has anyone tried these specifically for The Celtic Camino and, if so, which would you recommend?

Bíodh beannachtaí oraibh, agus go n-éirí bhur mbóithre libh!

Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What part of the country are you in? How convenient is access for you? The St Kevin's Way route from Hollyfort over the gap down into Glendalough looks interesting.. stunning scenery at any time of year. I spend a lot of time walking in that part of the world. The Bray coastal route doesn't look so interesting, it follows the coast up around Dublin Bay, but it's mostly urban, I spend a lot of time walking the dog in that part of the world. Whichever route you choose, try to get a couple of stamps and make a point of getting them to date them (from the nearest post office, garda station, restaurant, bar etc). Not everyone at the pilgrims office is 100% familiar with the Celtic caminos, but once you can show the credencial along with the one from the Ingles (from A Coruña?) and explain your case, you'll be fine. Interesting to note, A Coruña is officially only 73km from SdC, so technically any of the documented walks of over 27km should be ok..

Go n-eirí leat!

To add, there is the wonderfully situated Glendalough International Hostel at the end of the Kevin's Way stage. It's a lovely place to stay. It was closed last year and most of this year, not sure of the current situation..

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Flog I was thinking of the very southerly routes - Slí Ár Sinsear looks interesting, especially with the Spanish connection there.

I'm wondering how those who have done this fared for getting stamps? And if they immediately went from Ireland [roughly at the end of their route there] to begin the Camino Inglés?

Plenty of planning ahead...

Ok, well two things:
As long as your Celtic Camino precedes your Camino Ingles, the time lapsed between the two shouldn't matter. As for stamps, you'll just have to be inventive. Look at what establishments/businesses are on or near the route.. that was why I suggested post office, garda station etc. You can always phone them first to see if they have a stamp. You're not likely to find a camino specific stamp but you'll get something. When you decide on your route, look at the map and make some calls!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You could try the Kerry Camino from Tralee to Dingle -stamping stations along the way. Information on kerrycamino.com and facebook page
Buen Camino
Actually, that Kerry Camino looks great. I'd never even heard of it [I'm from the opposite end of the country]. Thanks again!

Actually, that Kerry Camino looks great. I'd never even heard of it [I'm from the opposite end of the country]. Thanks again!
Yes. It is waymarked I believe. There are a couple on YouTube who have captured the route as they walked it. As a regular to Kerry/Cork it is an absolutely stunning part of Eire especially as you hit out past dingle around Slea head.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Starting with contacting the Camino Society of Ireland may be of help. Here is where you can get an Irish Camino Passport;

Presently, I plan to walk the Bray path to St James Church in Dublin, then on to Camino Inglés. It may be more urban than I would normally like but it is 32 km and can be done in a day...or two. There are many pubs along this route. And the Guinness is as fresh as it can ever be.

On the Portuguese Camino I stayed in an albergue in Mos, Spain. After I had checked in, I went to sign the comments book and right beside it was a booklet: “The Kerry Camino. Follow in the footsteps of St. Brendan”. :)

I walked the St Finbarr's way in West Cork - with a first stamp from Top of the Rock, and a last stamp at Gougane Barra. The Pilgrim's Office in Santiago treated that as completely normal. I used an Irish credencial.

It was gorgeous, unforgettable - two days of 5 star walking - and deeply touching as well.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St Kevin's Route from Hollywood/Valleymount to Glendalough is beautiful and has recently been upgraded with little bridges fording streams, a new path away from the busy road section and clearer signage.
I walked it from Valleymount with a group a few years ago as part of a fundraiser for Barrettstown Camp and it was a fantastic day and not overly difficult. I would highly recommend Wicklow (The Garden of Ireland) for your Celtic Camino.

As an ex-Irishman in recovery I'm glad to see that the land of my forefathers is getting into the Camino spirit. But not to the point of lowering hostel prices: now at an eye-watering 25 euro and upwards.

Keep fumbling in that greasy till, fellow-countrypersons ... I hope it keeps fine for youse, and may the grass grow green before your doors. Slán go dtí an lá ailinn sin.

If you would like to receive a Compostela in Santiago , you must walk the last 100 Kms. The distance from A Coruna to Santiago is less . Therefore, When doing the Camino Ingles, you must start in Ferrol to accomplish this criteria because it is more than 100kms . From Ferrol, you pass through A Coruna . Buen Camino !

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
From Ferrol, you pass through A Coruna .
Actually, you don't. These are two separate starting points of the Ingles.

If you would like to receive a Compostela in Santiago , you must walk the last 100 Kms. The distance from A Coruna to Santiago is less . Therefore, When doing the Camino Ingles, you must start in Ferrol to accomplish this criteria because it is more than 100kms .
You can get a Compostella if you walk from A Coruña if you walk 25kms in Ireland (or your home country). Hence the query on this thread.
It's true that to qualify for the Compostela you can walk 25 kms at home or in this case I'm Ireland then walk the 75 kms or so from A Coruña. But of course on the Emrald Isle there are hundreds of kilometres of pilgrimage routes http://www.pilgrimpath.ie No need to stop at 25kms!

Paul, See a pm, posted here by mistake, have removed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back