• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The certificate

Lito Wen

Time of past OR future Camino
08/11/2018-08/12/2018
Buneos Camino!
So i wanna ask the certificate question.
If i finish 100KM in other place such as burgos to Leon, can i get the certificate in santiago? Or need to finish the last 100km?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You must walk the last 100 klms from Sarria at least, with two stamps per day to achieve the Compostela. All the others are certificates, eg St Jean to Sahagun -halfway 400 Klm certificate obtained at the monastery at Sahagun.
Santiago to Muxia - certificate.....Muxia to Finisterre certificate...or Santiago - Finisterre - certificate. Distance certificate obtained from anywhere to Santiago eg. St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago is 799 Klm certificate. (€3)
No taxis, no buses, no bikes no wheeled transport only walking but horses, donkeys, riding elephants allowed.
It took me until my 3rd Camino to get the 799 Klm & 400klm, Muxia & Finisterre certificates this year. With walking only. (2016, 2017, 2018) and another Compestella. So I have 2 compostelas for 2016 & 2018.
Love

You must walk the last 100 klms from Sarria at least, with two stamps per day to achieve the Compostela. All the others are certificates, eg St Jean to Sahagun -halfway 400 Klm certificate obtained at the monastery at Sahagun.
Santiago to Muxia - certificate.....Muxia to Finisterre certificate...or Santiago - Finisterre - certificate. Distance certificate obtained from anywhere to Santiago eg. St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago is 799 Klm certificate. (€3)
No taxis, no buses, no bikes no wheeled transport only walking but horses, donkeys, riding elephants allowed.
It took me until my 3rd Camino to get the 799 Klm & 400klm, Muxia & Finisterre certificates this year. With walking only. (2016, 2017, 2018) and another Compestella. So I have 2 compostelas for 2016 & 2018.
Love

So i can get the certificates but not the Compostela?

Which certificate/ distance do you want to walk on your pilgrimage?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Pilgrim Office offers two certificates. One is the compostela. If you walk the last 100 km to the Cathedral and collect two stamps each day, you qualify. It is free.

A distance certificate shows the distance you walked to get to the Cathedral. It costs money. The rules are a bit looser, but it is not a certificate for discontinuous walking. It won't include distance on the Appalachian Trail, for example, and won't be issued if you admit to taking taxis or buses during your pilgrimage. If you keep it simple and say you started in, say Toulouse, it will show the distance from Toulouse to Santiago. If you get talkative and say you started in Toulouse, then took a train to Sarria, it will not include the unwalked distances.

Your credencial has the stamps of places you stopped and/or passed. It likely is your best souvenir. :):)

I will try to explain this very simply...
  • Everything is focused on ARRIVING at the Cathedral in Santiago.
  • Ending a Camino elsewhere qualifies you for nothing from the Cathedrals' Pilgrim Office.
  • Walking any distance OTHER than the LAST 100 km INTO Santiago gets you nothing.
The reason really is very simple. Remember that the Camino is a more than 1200-year old, originally Christian (pre-Reformation) pilgrimage . The sole purpose of the original Camino was to arrive at the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela to venerate (NOT worship) the remains of the Apostle, Saint James the Greater.

James, brother of Saint John the Apostle, was one of the original 12 Apostles of Jesus Christ. James' / Santiago's bones are contained, along with the bones of his two followers, Thaddeus and Athanasius, in a silver casket, adjacent to the original 1st century crypt, under the main altar in the Cathedral.

Once pilgrimage started in the late 800s AD, in response to a Papal proclamation, it surged in popularity, then waned, then surged, etc. Currently, it is enjoying a huge surge in popularity. In 1983 (?) UNESCO declared the Camino to be a World Heritage Site. That designation occasioned a renewed interest in walking the various routes of the Camino de Santiago, INTO Santiago de Compostela.

Since the late 1980s, renewed interest in the various aspects of the Camino has attracted pilgrims from all over the world. They come from all cultures, faiths, political beliefs and systems. All enjoy the Camino, seen from their perspective. There are as many reasons for doing a Camino as there are pilgrims. All are welcome.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Love
Strangely, my certificate of distance from St Jean to Santiago says 755 Km. Does not really matter but why the discrepancy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Strangely, my certificate of distance from St Jean to Santiago says 755 Km. Does not really matter but why the discrepancy
My first one (2014) says "776 km". My second (2017) says "781". My wife's second (also 2017) says "800"

My certificate, (Oct. 2018) says 799. It also says I did it in 8 days. 🤣🤣 20181015_175110.jpgDon't rely too heavily on what the pilgrim office writes for you!

In defence of the team of clerks it does get a bit confusing at times. The date on the Compostela is in Latin whereas the ones on the Distancia are in Spanish and if your Distancia covers two (or more) months there's another chance to slip up.

I'm sure I got it wrong sometimes so sorry about that - fortunately this isn't one of mine!

Yes, Jeff, I think the beleaguered volunteer was at the end of a long day and automatically wrote 2018 without even thinking. 😊 How many times do we all do that every January?

I had actually started in 2015, which I proudly pointed out to him when I handed over my credentials, having made the pilgrimage (in due proper sequence of course!👍), over the course of several stages. I didn't realize the mistake until after I left the office.

The irony was, when fellow walkers would ask where I started, I would always respond, "In St. Jean -- 3 years ago. I'm a slow walker! 🤣🤣 And here I had a certificate that declared me a superwoman!!

I started to go back to have it corrected, but caught myself in time. Where else would I get such a conversation piece?

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back