• I have set up a new section of the forum that is called "Tales from the Camino". You can find it here. (You need to be logged in to be able to read this section)

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The Challenges of Walking the Camino with your Best Friend!

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
It seemed like a great idea, but the descent into Zubiri in the pouring rain really tested the relationship……….

Even though I’d known my walking companion for years.

He's a really interesting character with an unpronounceable Thai/Chinese name (Thaw), so he goes by the nickname ‘Bean’. Originally from China, he’d moved to Thailand where we first met and he now lives in Sydney, my home town.

We did training walks together. And were Camino ‘buddies’ from the outset.

We were going to spend 40 days together, and looked forward to the experience and the bonding.

The long flight, the stopover in Paris and journey to St Jean were all without incident. No hint of the strains that our relationship would be under at times. We just enjoyed the journey and the anticipation of getting underway.

Mind you, ‘Bean’ is the quiet type and it’s hard to know what he’s thinking at times. Most of the time in fact!

Maybe I should have sensed this was not going to be an easy journey, on Day 1?

The climb up to Orrison was in total silence. Though we each sensed the emotion and effort of the climb, I almost felt unconsciously, and perhaps unfairly, that I was ‘carrying him’ up that mountain. I thought nothing of it at the time. I was happy to be there, my senses awash with the whole experience.

The trouble really started on Day 4. We were starting off with short sections. And this day was from Viscarret to Zubiri. It rained all day. And we’d decided to take the ‘easy’ route down to Zubiri, following the road. (Don’t do it by the way, we almost got run over)

I was really comfortable in my rain pants and jacket. Expensive Goretex fabrics that kept me totally dry. And maybe this was the problem. You see, I had gone ‘all out’ on gear, whilst Bean was doing this on a shoe string.

He had no ‘special’ gear, just choosing to ‘wing’ it. Even his backpack was old, leather, and looked more like a kids school bag than a serious hiking pack....

The result. He was soaked through. And I mean soaked…….like he had just swum the English Channel fully clothed.

Tired and foot sore we pulled into Zubiri and Bean literally draped himself over a wall heater to start drying out……. I felt somewhat guilty that I had arrived bone dry. I would need to be more considerate and supportive if we were going to make it to Santiago still friends.

There were a few 'incidents' along the way.... But my Camino was certainly the better for his company. I have no doubt about that.

On those days when your feet ache, and your back is sore and you have another 10 kms still to go, the company of a good friend, even one that doesn’t say much, is often the moral support that kept me going. Just to ‘be’ with someone is often enough.

Though at times when I had to stop to rest and elevate my feet, he would just sit there looking at me, and I could almost sense the unspoken word. “What………..another stop”? That started to grate a bit....

Walking with a best friend can be challenging, but also immensely supportive emotionally.

In fact we’ll actually walk again together. This year!

But I have promised to buy him a Gore-Tex jacket. I don’t want a repeat performance of that 'drowned rat' look, coming down into Zubiri.

My challenge though, is where do I buy a Gore-Tex jacket, for a teddy bear who only weights 85 gms and is 6 inches tall………. ? :(

Last edited:

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
You had me, right up to the end. I was thinking "Robo, you misled us all this time! I read your blogs and believed you were on your own." However, I do remember Bean now that you mention him.

I don't think you need Goretex, except that you seem to have promised it. Teddy bears don't sweat.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
OK. Pictures.......... Mr Bean on Camino.

Made it to Orrison

'Drying out' in Zubiri. Not a Happy Teddy Bear (as they say).........

A Morning Break West of Hornillos

'Ready To Go' heading out of Bellorado

Might be a new product for your Shop Ivar?

Camino Teddy Bears.........

AndyK

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2016
Hope you can live up to your promise, Rob. Would not want to risk sleeping in the same room with an enraged and soaking bear... :)
Wonderful story! Thanks!

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015) Scotland GGW (2017) Primitivo
What a wonderful story Robo.. If you lived here in Victoria, BC, I' d ask you to join our local Story Tellers' Guild.

Chenahusky

Happy Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
CFSJPP to SDC 2016
CIng x 2 2018
CPort. Tui May 2019
CF Ponf. June 2019
Hi Robo,

What a superbly told story. I have two travel bears. One, Ollie, 42gms., is for boat trips/expeditions and has waterproofs, the other Little Ted, 20gms. is for long distance walks. Ollie is the best travelled bear, having been as far as Antarctica. Little Ted has however covered the greatest distance on foot. He is however very sensible and was carried the whole way. At present they are both resting in their deckchairs. Little Ted will be coming on the Camino with me in May.

Regards,

John
"Chenahusky"

Travel bears.jpg

zzotte

Camino(s) past & future
2012 Camino Frances, 2014 Lourdes to SDC, 2016 Camino del Norte
:) very sweet robo, you almost got me, thanks for the end if not I would be still be thinking haha, I travel with a sheep so if rains I put him in my pocket off course leaving his head out :)

JennyH94

Pilgrim in progress
Camino(s) past & future
CF - sections and whole (2012-2019) and part VF (2017)
Fantastic story Robo! Though I did know straight away who you were talking about as I've been following Julia Mumford's great thread on personalising backpacks and saw your contributions to that thread. The thread title, for anyone who's missed it, is :

Any ideas how to personalise a rucksack?

The mention of China as his birthplace was a dead giveaway too! ;) :)

Bean would make a GREAT mascot!

Thanks and cheers Robo -

Jenny

Last edited:

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
My husband has been traveling with a little grey koala named "Mary Hartman" since Mary Hartman was on TV. He retired her last year and walked Offa's Dyke last May with a little plastic army man instead. I walked my 2014 camino with Tiny Monkey 17001084704_c178c36c0c_q.jpg This year Sven will be joining me instead.41x13UtFRBL._SY300_.jpg Tiny Monkey was a little too serious. Sven is off the wall wacky and I think I'll need his company on the meseta!!!

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Camino(s) past & future
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
So, what does Mr Bean weigh soaking wet? and may I recommend a dry sack for Mr Bean in the future. :)

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
And also Thanks from me Robbo.....as with others, you had me until the end......lovely, lovely story.

petitewalker

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014 fall), Camino Portuguese (fall 2017)
:) very sweet robo, you almost got me, thanks for the end if not I would be still be thinking haha, I travel with a sheep so if rains I put him in my pocket off course leaving his head out :)

I travel with a sheep too. His name is Sheepsie. I tuck him in my pac when it rains.

JMac56

Camino(s) past & future
CF(2015)
CF+Fis(2016)
CP:Porto-SdC-Mux-Fis(2017)
CF:Leon-SdC(2017)
CF+Mux+Fis(2018)
Hi Robo, my friend Bullwinkle saw your post and asked why he wasn't taken along on the Camino last year. Guess who's coming this time! Buen Camino.
View media item 4467

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
Hi Robo, my friend Bullwinkle saw your post and asked why he wasn't taken along on the Camino last year. Guess who's coming this time! Buen Camino.
View media item 4467

It's interesting to see all these 'grown men' coming out of the closet with their fluffy toys. ;)

Good to see :)

I can see the next thread being 'share pictures of your blankie'...........

Let's not go there....... OK :eek:

I have to say, Bullwinkle looks like he'll make a awesome Pilgrim!

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
So, what does Mr Bean weigh soaking wet? and may I recommend a dry sack for Mr Bean in the future. :)

Good idea! I reckon he gains about 3KGs when wet!

I think some kind of poncho might be the answer, rather than get 'stuffed in a sack'..........

If there are any Forum members who are handy with a sewing machine........:rolleyes:

Looks like there could be a high demand given the number of Bears, Sheep, Koalas, Monkeys.... Moose? who seem to undertake the Camino........

I should add that Mr Bean will have 'company' on our next Camino.
'Mrs Bean' will on my wife's pack.

Last edited:

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
2004 I carried a beloved stuffed moose, not full size but as bulky as a sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, was a large toy which long ago I had given to my father for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled within a stuff sack deep in the knapsack. Although disguised as a ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino...On later caminos Mo stayed home; once with a moose is enough.

MM

Camino Ky

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April/May '2016',
Portuguese Camino '2017',
Camino Frances Dec/Jan '2019/2020'
Gee and I told myself early in the piece that I could not take my wombat on the Camino :p:D;) love all of the confessions.

M

Mark Lee

It's interesting to see all these 'grown men' coming out of the closet with their fluffy toys. ;)

Good to see :)

I can see the next thread being 'share pictures of your blankie'...........

Let's not go there....... OK :eek:

Ain't gonna lie. I got a little stuffed walrus a niece gave me when she was very young. He used to ride in my patrol car with me when I was a copper. He would actually hang very nice on a backpack.

marylynn

Ontario Canada
Camino(s) past & future
2011-2019 CF, Arles/Aragones
2015 & 2017 HærvejenDK
Arrgghhhhhh...you got me, then I had to read your post again with very different pictures in my head . Great story.

Urban Trekker

Happy Trails
Camino(s) past & future
English Camino (2013)
Portuguese Camino (2014)
French Camino (2016)
Way of Saint Francis April 2017
Good idea! I reckon he gains about 3KGs when wet!

I think some kind of poncho might be the answer, rather than get 'stuffed in a sack'..........

If there are any Forum members who are handy with a sewing machine........:rolleyes:

Looks like there could be a high demand given the number of Bears, Sheep, Koalas, Monkeys.... Moose? who seem to undertake the Camino........

I should add that Mr Bean will have 'company' on our next Camino.
'Mrs Bean' will on my wife's pack.
At 3 kilos wet Mr. Bean would have become a has bean for me :D :D:D:D Bean Camino!

Wokabaut_Meri

somewhere along the Way
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 2015
Pilgrims Way 2018
Via Francigena #1 Canterbury-Dover 2018
Let me introduce you to Aussie Roo aka Ricciuto (after a South Australia footy legend) a true and seasoned trekker and adventurer and the cause of an international incident in Johannesburg airport.
Roo_EverestABC.jpg

Ian41

Camino(s) past & future
Plan to walk Camino Frances April/May 2016 starting St Jean de Port
Hi Robo
I will be travelling with a mate, Ed.
He isn't on the forum as yet, but I have sent him a link to your advice about the challenges of walking with a friend and hope that he comes suitably equipped.
Fantastic story, I was really taken in.

71 sleeps to go
Can't wait!

Ian
Challenges of Walking the Camino with

mdelag

Camino(s) past & future
**CAMINO FRANCES: LEON-SANTIAGO sept. (2015)
**CAMINO FRANCES SJPP-SANTIAGO (2019)
It seemed like a great idea, but the descent into Zubiri in the pouring rain really tested the relationship……….

He's a really interesting character with an unpronounceable Chinese name, so he goes by the nickname ‘Bean’. Originally from China, he’d moved to Thailand where we first met and he now lives in Sydney, my home town.

We were going to spend 40 days together, and looked forward to the experience and the bonding.

The long flight, the stopover in Paris and journey to St Jean were all without incident. No hint of the strains that our relationship would be under at times. We just enjoyed the journey and the anticipation of getting underway.

Mind you, ‘Bean’ is the quiet type and it’s hard to know what he’s thinking at times. Most of the time in fact!

The climb up to Orrison was in total silence. Though we each sensed the emotion and effort of the climb, I almost felt unconsciously, and perhaps unfairly, that I was ‘carrying him’ up that mountain. I thought nothing of it at the time. I was happy to be there, my senses awash with the whole experience.

The trouble really started on Day 4. We were starting off with short sections. And this day was from Viscarret to Zubiri. It rained all day. And we’d decided to take the ‘easy’ route down to Zubiri, following the road. (Don’t do it by the way, we almost got run over)

I was really comfortable in my rain pants and jacket. Expensive Goretex fabrics that kept me totally dry. And maybe this was the problem. You see, I had gone ‘all out’ on gear, whilst Bean was doing this on a shoe string.

He had no ‘special’ gear, just choosing to ‘wing’ it. Even his backpack was old, leather, and looked more like a kids school bag than a serious hiking pack....

The result. He was soaked through. And I mean soaked…….like he had just swum the English Channel fully clothed.

Tired and foot sore we pulled into Zubiri and Bean literally draped himself over a wall heater to start drying out……. I felt somewhat guilty that I had arrived bone dry. I would need to be more considerate and supportive if we were going to make it to Santiago still friends.

There were a few 'incidents' along the way.... But my Camino was certainly the better for his company. I have no doubt about that.

On those days when your feet ache, and your back is sore and you have another 10 kms still to go, the company of a good friend, even one that doesn’t say much, is often the moral support that kept me going. Just to ‘be’ with someone is often enough.

Though at times when I had to stop to rest and elevate my feet, he would just sit there looking at me, and I could almost sense the unspoken word. “What………..another stop”? That started to grate a bit....

Walking with a best friend can be challenging, but also immensely supportive emotionally.

But I have promised to buy him a Gore-Tex jacket. I don’t want a repeat performance of that 'drowned rat' look, coming down into Zubiri.

My challenge though, is where do I buy a Gore-Tex jacket, for a teddy bear who only weights 85 gms and is 6 inches tall………. ? :(
This is one of the cutest experiences I've read about walking with a partner !!! Thanks a lot !!!!

Katush

Camino(s) past & future
September [2015]
I love your story Robo.
image.png I started my Camino last year September with Tedi, a gift from my daughter years ago. I lost him before Viana and was devastated. I met Tom just afterwards who told me it was one of the Camino lessons, to let it go and it will bring someone else joy. I did and heard from someone further along that they had seen Tedi on a rock, being photographed by other pilgrims and it made them smile.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

mdelag

Camino(s) past & future
**CAMINO FRANCES: LEON-SANTIAGO sept. (2015)
**CAMINO FRANCES SJPP-SANTIAGO (2019)
:) We also walked in September 2015 !!!!

thomryng

Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring 2013), Francés (Spring 2016), Galician Francés (Oct. 2018)
Great story! You had me right up to the last minute. Thank you for posting it. It kind of made my day.

JMac56

Camino(s) past & future
CF(2015)
CF+Fis(2016)
CP:Porto-SdC-Mux-Fis(2017)
CF:Leon-SdC(2017)
CF+Mux+Fis(2018)

Just an update on the Bullwinkle story. Here's a picture of this grown man's reaction to walking on a beach again after 6 weeks on the Camino Frances. (That's Finisterre in the distance on the right.) Bullwinkle was a great travel companion, but he had to take a back seat (pun intended) to the many marvellous, inspirational people I was blessed to meet along the Way. Special thanks to my son, Daniel who came from London to walk the last stage from Olveiroa with his old Dad and took this picture. And yes, I'm crying like a baby. Even Bullwinkle's world was turned upside down! We'll be back. Buen Camino.

GOPR2204.JPG

Tingeling

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (March 2016)
Camino Portuguese (April/May 2017)
Camino Frances 2021
Everyone - read this thread - fantastic!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2005,2008,2010,2015.camino Portuguese 2007 .primativo2012.camino Norte 2009.sjpdp to finisterre and muxia 2007. Le Puy to jpdp 2006. Via francigena vercelli to Lucca 2014. Lucca to Rome 2016.
Hah I remember reading this post back in 2016 ....and thinking as I read through it...this can't be Robo, surely not.
Well this best friend won't be a best friend for long more if that's the way he's treated
The last sentence had me in stitches...a teddy bear!!
I may be "slow" at times but this nearly had me for sure!

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
Hah I remember reading this post back in 2016 ....and thinking as I read through it...this can't be Robo, surely not.
Well this best friend won't be a best friend for long more if that's the way he's treated
The last sentence had me in stitches...a teddy bear!!
I may be "slow" at times but this nearly had me for sure!

Mr Bean is sitting in my home office awaiting our next adventure ;)

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017

He's a really interesting character with an unpronounceable Thai/Chinese name (Thaw), so he goes by the nickname ‘Bean’. Originally from China, he’d moved to Thailand where we first met and he now lives in Sydney, my home town.

Such a lovely story Robbo and, yes, you got me as well.

Sweething

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2021)
Oh I love this thread, I've read it a number of times over the past 2 years, and tear up every time. My first Camino was supposed to be next year, but who knows now. I will look at it as positive thing, as it gives me more time to talk 'my best friend' into doing it with me.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2017), Primitivo (2019)

What a funny story this is... here is a photo of a young lady from New Zealand, who I walked the Primitivo with, and her special teddy friend- in Finisterre

Attachments

• A4D8C04C-6B18-4972-923F-0C4047BE77AA.jpeg
    A4D8C04C-6B18-4972-923F-0C4047BE77AA.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 11

Advertisement

Booking.com