• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Change

Pieces

Veteran Member
She knows something has happened, but she isn't sure quite what it is. She feels it when ever she meets other people. The women are more open and talkative the men more forthcoming and smiling. She has changed and she knows it, but she doesn't know exactly how.

Sometimes when she sits alone at night thinking back she becomes scared of loosing ”it” what ever that may be, and she tries to think of ways to hold on. But how can one hold on to something when one doesn't even know what that something is.

At first she thought it was the walking. So a few weeks later she straps her backpack back on. Wanting more or just to hold on. She doesn't know, she just knows she has to go. So off she goes to walk some more.

This time the backpack is heavier. Most days there will be no food or water, so she has to carry that. Also, the stretches are longer, but that is ok, she has done both forty and fifty before, no sweat. She has her maps and her shell strapped on her backpack and she is excited about walking in her own country, maybe eventually going all the way to Santiago, who know.

So off she goes. With her food, her backpack and her new shoes, exactly the same shoes as the ones she has just worn out, excited and happy to be on the road again.

Just two kilometres after she sets out her hips start hurting, but that is ok, they have hurt before. Just 12 kilometres to the first albergue today so no sweat, and tomorrow they will be better again. She doesn't meet anyone on the way, not even someone walking their dog, and when she finally arrives warm and thirsty to the albergue there is no one there.

She eats some of her food and feels a bit lonely. She had been hoping to meet new people, but apparently not today. It didn't matter being alone in Spain, that was often a choice, but now with no choice it somehow seems to matter.

The next morning when the alarm goes of she doesn't really feel rested. Her legs are still hurting and she hangs around for a bit, dragging out time, hoping they will get better with a few pills, but they don't. Finally she has no more excuses, drops some money in the box and heads out.

The going is easy but her hips make it hard. The road is empty and the air is cold. She wonders why all this matters now when it didn't matter last time but somehow it does. Her leg gets worse and she breaks often hoping it will go away as it has done before, but it just seems to get worse.

After a few kilometres the pain get so bad she can hardly walk and she starts limping along. She takes out her map to find out where she is, knowing there will be nothing all day, so just really checking. She has not come that far and she wonders how a few weeks ago she could walk 500 km when now she barely able to walk 5.

She starts doing the math. She has walked 5 km in the 2 hours since she set out. She has half a litre of water left and there is 15 kilometres to the next fountain, that is six hours and the day is warming up, getting hot and humid. Even worse there is still 35 kilometres to the next bed, at this speed she will not be able to make it before dark/midnight/they close the door at ten, and the pain is getting worse still.

She has still met no one, talked to no one, greeted no one. The day seems endless the water bottle tiny, the backpack heavy and the pain is becoming almost unbearable. So she does the only thing she can think of, the unthinkable. She gets out her phone, calls her sister, and almost in tears asks her to figure a way home for her.

She quits ! Her ? She ? The one who doesn't even believe in quitting, who thinks less of people not really doing an effort. She who thinks quitters are weak ! Right there and then, she quits, gives up, caves in, calls a friend and asks for help !

Because there is no way she can continue.

When she arrives at the train station in her home town, she almost sits down and weeps because she has to walk another 500 meters to her front door, and it just seems impossible. But of course it isn't.

At first she is relieved to arrive back home, but it doesn't take long before the Camino Blues sets back in and she wonders why this time it was so different. But she knows why. The answer is always the same. It always comes down to the people. Even when she chooses not to be with them she needs them to be there. Without others she is nothing.

And while she tries so hard to hold on to the change, and while she knows that even from a 28 hour Camino there is a lesson, she also knows that the only way to hold on is to let it go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Only when we are in the service of our fellow man are we in the service of our God; an old saying full of wisdom. I hope I do not offend by so often focusing on the spiritual and religious, but it is what the Camino is to me, a spiritual journey. When we learn to serve others we learn to serve God. In serving God we find true happiness.

On the Camino everyone is focused on the journey and it is easy to serve others. Life is so much less complex than back at home. There is so little to do but to focus on the next step and the chores of the day. Back home we are bombarded by all the demands of life and we lose touch with those around us. We don't have the time to say hello, spend time talking about worthwhile subjects, and reflecting on our own lives.

Too quickly we grow social calluses anew, too quickly we pull back into our shell, and forget that when we serve others we only make ourselves happier.

Thank you for sharing this short episode of your life. May the Camino surround you this coming week.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.