• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Comfort Zone

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have to confess that I am still getting the hang of this whole posting thing :)

While this is not a bad picture and if taken in context with the title of the thread, if kind of fits. However that was not my intent.

It is a common theme with many life style platforms about taking yourself out of your "comfort zone". In fact if you are on LinkedIn, this pops up at least 2 or 3 times a day. I appreciate that this may not be a LinkedIn crowd though there is no reason it may not be.

While this is a rambling and unnecessary intro, my point, when I finally get to it :) is this, does taking yourself out of your comfort zone reinforce the values and life that you presently live, post and pre camino, or does it truly lead you to life changing and momentous decisions that reverberate through your life going forward?

I appreciate that there will be many "it's made me kinder, more spiritual and nicer to kittens" but I'm not talking about that. I'm also not talking about coming home, getting divorced or buying that snappy Prius".

What I am asking whether there were profound tangible changes or directions in your life that you took directly relatable to your experience on the Camino(s)?

In my case, I went to Paris and spent 4 years getting my doctorate (that whole bucket list thing) and writing a whole lot of bad books.

And yes, I know we all have different responsibilities and resources but it doesn't mean that we aren't inspired to do new things within the confines of these realities, that change our lives and those around us which we wouldn't have done unless the spark was ignited on the Camino.

Just asking - :)

The biggest change or direction for me is that I immediately became addicted to walking the Camino and plan to do it every year as long as my feet will allow me. I found this Camino Forum (aka Caminoholics Anon) and find myself checking it every day. I have made life long friendships with people from other countries.

My non Camino participating friends have no understanding of this experience. This causes me to count the days until I can get back there. I look forward to staying with many of the hosts that I have come to know over the years.

Do I feel like I am a better person because of all these experiences? You betcha ! Do I have any regrets? Only wish that I was younger.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don’t believe it related to “being out of my comfort zone”... there are many things in life that I’ve found far less comfortable and less profound-like presenting to groups of 100 plus angry building owners.

But in taking on something that was a challenge and successfully completing it did give me all kinds of personal positives, like reminding myself that I have agency in my life and can effect change. I also learned (relearned?) to trust my own judgement and to stop with the stupid comparisons to other people. I am me, it’s my camino, it’s my life and I can choose the path that is appropriate for me. Helped me to get over a really bad case of defensiveness. Or at least mostly get over a chronic case of defensiveness ;)

Anyways all that learning meant I quit my career of 10 years to try something very different; discovered over 4 months that working in the nonprofit sector wasn’t a good fit; changed jobs again, and applied to grad school to pursue my dream of becoming an architect. Oh and became an officiant for weddings, funerals and baby blessings as have done three memo

All this in the 16 months after the Camino. I’ve been busy.

I am a bit older than you, way back then we used Coke to remove the rust from the chrome on our car bumpers and to open the kitchen drains. Comfort Zone? Try switching to Estrella Galicia and forget the Coke!51968

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a bit older than you, way back then we used Coke to remove the rust from the chrome on our car bumpers and to open the kitchen drains. Comfort Zone? Try switching to Estrella Galicia and forget the Coke!View attachment 51968
Hi Scruffy - while I appreciate the whole "senior" perspective, I do know that we are a lot closer in age though I do agree with the whole beer thing. That being said, you and i met on the Camino Portuguese, just after the bridge coming into Spain. For some reason, I tend to remember those that adopt a certain moneclature to define themselves. Take care.

Hi Scruffy - while I appreciate the whole "senior" perspective, I do know that we are a lot closer in age though I do agree with the whole beer thing. That being said, you and i met on the Camino Portuguese, just after the bridge coming into Spain. For some reason, I tend to remember those that adopt a certain moneclature to define themselves. Take care.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back