• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Compostela For 75 Km in Spain from April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, but this is provided that you can show (prove) that you have walked at least 25-30kms before leaving home with stamps in your credential. In the UK Post Offices have stamps and they are dated.

I think this article is misleading. There was an article in La Voz de Galicia of 27 March and if I understand correctly, people from further away must have walked the missing part of the 100 km in their home country, as @Tia Valeria says. Only people who live in the region of A Coruna get a Compostela for the shorter distance.

I can't paste the link right now but perhaps someone else can find it and confirm.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, but this is provided that you can show (prove) that you have walked at least 25-30kms before leaving home with stamps in your credential. In the UK Post Offices have stamps and they are dated.

Oh - Thank you! Is there any actual document or link that shows that? I thought that was just until March 2017 but not now?

BC

Raimund

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
In addition to this excellent link, here is the link to the Voz de Galicia article on the first two local pilgrims who received a Compostela after starting from Coruna. Local pilgrims have to satisfy additional conditions. The two pilgrims in question walked 91 km, btw. The rules are in force since the end of December 2016. @Raimund Joos may want to change the title of this thread as it contains two mistakes.

From the website of the Confraternity of St James in the UK: https://www.csj.org.uk/planning-you...o-santiago/routes-in-spain/the-camino-ingles/

* Please note that as of December 2016 the Cathedral authorities in Santiago have indicated that they are prepared to issue a compostela to pilgrims who can evidence a walk of at least 25 – 30km in the UK (or elsewhere) prior to travelling to A Coruña – details here. Please see Walk Another Pilgrimage for details of UK pilgrim and spiritual routes; at the moment only the Pilgrims Way (Winchester or London to Canterbury) or the Way of St Andrews (various starting points to St Andrews) have pilgrim passports and stamps which would provide proof for the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. The CSJ is actively communicating with churches on various routes regarding the possibility of having stamps available for pilgrims.

Is there a dokumet that prove that .... not just a post? I think every pilgrim has been walking 25 km at home once bevor he started his camino in spain ... :) So what?
I recently attended our Canadian Company of Pilgrim's annual Victoria Chapter gathering and the information given by the National president is that currently there are only a couple/few countries able to provide the necessary documentation/stamps to properly qualify someone who wishes to walk the 25kms in their home country. I am not 100% certain but believe this has been organized in England and Ireland but have no official documentation I can point to, just my memory from the meeting.

More countries are working with the Cathedral in SDC however unless it is officially sanctioned any claims of walking 25kms in other countries won't be accepted.

Until later in the process, starting from Ferrol will be the prudent course of action for those wanting a Compostela.

From the website of the Confraternity of St James in the UK: https://www.csj.org.uk/planning-you...o-santiago/routes-in-spain/the-camino-ingles/

* Please note that as of December 2016 the Cathedral authorities in Santiago have indicated that they are prepared to issue a compostela to pilgrims who can evidence a walk of at least 25 – 30km in the UK (or elsewhere) prior to travelling to A Coruña – details here. Please see Walk Another Pilgrimage for details of UK pilgrim and spiritual routes; at the moment only the Pilgrims Way (Winchester or London to Canterbury) or the Way of St Andrews (various starting points to St Andrews) have pilgrim passports and stamps which would provide proof for the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. The CSJ is actively communicating with churches on various routes regarding the possibility of having stamps available for pilgrims.

Thanks a lot - but may be I don't understand it well --- I think all of us has been walking a lot of km before we once started the camino de Santiago .... so whats the point? Must it bee a walk in a special religious/spiritual way? Or on an official religious Camino (de Santiago) im my country? So what will do the Pilgrims from Africa .... every way can be a Camino de Santiago - that's my opinion ...

Nothing is still told in this newest articel about that missing 25 km.

Bon Camino

Raimund

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gee I wouldn't have thought that 25 km extra on the Camino trail in Spain/Portugal was that prohibitive. All the hassle of getting stamps and proof from home just so you can skimp on the Camino.

Is it too harsh to say that maybe people should just toughen up and start 100 km from Santiago de Compostela?

Can't believe that it is officialdom that has started this!

As always, I'm curious why a piece of paper matters? Does having that piece of paper provide some benefit that I'm not aware of?
Symbols are an integral part of life and IMO the Compostela is no different. If material items didn't matter to anyone then would anyone take a photo while on the Camino? Carry a scallop shell? Write in a journal to read over in years to come? I know I cherish these items and am pretty sure I am not alone. In a more tangible way, young Spaniards also benefit by having a Compostela on their CV when looking for work probably not all that different than displaying that piece of paper many of us receive when they graduate high school or university.

If an individual is not motivated to receive that piece of paper that's great and I support their way of thinking and living just as I hope others will support those of us who do want a Compostela, a shell, a stamp, a photo, etc for our own personal reasons.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is it too harsh to say that maybe people should just toughen up and start 100 km from Santiago de Compostela?
The 100 km are artificial and totally pointless ;-).

Quote [my translation]:
  • This decision of the ecclesiastical entity [= Santiago Cathedral] is supported, according to the [Coruna] alderman, by "a historical and weighty justification." In particular, he points out that the port of Coruña was "the main point of entry for pilgrims, arriving from across the sea, from the fourteenth century onwards.
Today's caminos have little to do with the medieval pilgrimages but historically, a lot more - and I mean really a lot more - pilgrims started in the port of Coruna than in Ferrol or Sarria or Tui, ie than 100 km from Santiago.

The problem today is, of course, that you have to build and then row your own boat or hitch a lift on a sailboat if you want to arrive in the port of Coruna at the end of a sea voyage from your home country elsewhere in Europe or around the Med. There are no longer any feasible commercial options for passengers travelling to and from Coruna by ship, as it was the case in the Middle Ages. Perhaps this might change with this obvious promotion for starting in Coruna harbor - at least once in a while? I would be the first to walk from Santiago to Coruna and then sail home :).

Last edited:
In a more tangible way, young Spaniards also benefit by having a Compostela on their CV when looking for work probably not all that different than displaying that piece of paper many of us receive when they graduate high school or university.

Really? I know about some Spain politicians commenting (very incidentally, of course:p) that they "did" the Camino in such or such year. But in CVs? As a career achievement?
I am not against it...just curious if this actually happens in Spain.

The 100 km are artificial and totally pointless ;-).

Quote [my translation]:
  • This decision of the ecclesiastical entity [= Santiago Cathedral] is supported, according to the [Coruna] alderman, by "a historical and weighty justification." In particular, he points out that the port of Coruña was "the main point of entry for pilgrims, arriving from across the sea, from the fourteenth century onwards.
Today's caminos have little to do with the medieval pilgrimages but historically, a lot more - and I mean really a lot more - pilgrims started in the port of Coruna than in Ferrol or Sarria or Tui, ie than 100 km from Santiago.

The problem today is, of course, that you have to build and then row your own boat or hitch a lift on a sailboat if you want to arrive in the port of Coruna at the end of a sea voyage from your home country elsewhere in Europe or around the Med. There are no longer any feasible commercial options for passengers travelling to and from Coruna by ship, as it was the case in the Middle Ages. Perhaps this might change with this obvious promotion for starting in Coruna harbor - at least once in a while? I would be the first to walk from Santiago to Coruna and then sail home :).

Very interesting to know the history behind it. Thank you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I don't know what this fascination is with 'The Compostela' its a four dollar piece of paper that you wait in line for two hours sharing noisy hall space with a garden collection of thru walkers and tour group people that spent thousands to stay in fancy hotels ,finger bowls and designer luggage. Not one person state side has asked to see my credential,but have all stood wide-eyed as I related my experiences and that only because you project with your heart the joy of the Camino experience. Tounge in cheek " badges we don't need no stinking badges"

I image that @Raimund Joos is wanting to get the right answer so he can put it in his guide book. @JohnnieWalker is the person I would contact and rely on, he lives and works in SDC and has direct contact with the Cathedral authorities.

Actually the Pilgrims Office itself should be the right institution to answer that questions and/or publish statements that make it really clear. But as they don't answer my e-mails and letters since years :( (may be because I am reporting to critical in my books about their business) and also don't give clear official statements I have to get my information in that bizarre manner.o_O

Bon Camino

Raimund :rolleyes:

Last edited:
@JohnnieWalker works with the Pilgrims' Office, therefore his information is correct. He also works with CSJ UK so their information also is correct. The first post in the thread 'Changes to the rules from A Coruna', as given before is the correct information and clearly says how the new rule works. The extra 25+kms are to be walked in the country of origin, apart from residents of A Coruna itself, who may walk from home.
The link to the information on the Cathedral website is also given, so all the official information is clear and available.
http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/es/respuesta-cabildo-compostela-desde-coruña
Respuesta del Cabildo de la Catedral de Santiago a la petición para conceder la Compostela a los peregrinos que vienen al sepulcro del Apóstol Santiago desde A…
CATEDRALDESANTIAGO.ES
Hope this helps you (and others).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I was looking at St Michael's Way, the only UK route that claims to be an official extension of the Camino but at 19km, it's a bit too short to add to an A Coruna start.

I was looking at St Michael's Way, the only UK route that claims to be an official extension of the Camino but at 19km, it's a bit too short to add to an A Coruna start.
Depending on where you live you could gain the extra kms by walking from home and then along St Michaels Way. Get a stamp or signature from your church and also from Post Offices as you walk. Alternative would be to walk to the ferry port if using Brittany Ferries. By my reading of the Cathedral website a designated route is not required. I think that the 'officially recognised' route pre-dates the new rule. Hopefully @JohnnieWalker can clarify this.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The phrase "tempest in a teapot" comes to mind here. If the historical significance of A Coruña is important to one's Camino experience and finding a 25 km walk in your home country that is acceptable to the cathedral authorities is a problem, why not just start somewhere else in Spain? For instance, start in Ferrol, walk to Betanzos (50 km), take a bus or taxi from there to A Coruña, and continue to Santiago from A Coruña (75 km). There would then be no question of meeting the 100 km requirement, and you'd only be walking a total of 5 or 6 km farther than walking all the way from Ferrol. Or, if you're just interested in the minimum additional to be added onto the 75 km from A Coruña to Santiago, walk from Ferrol to Pontedeume (30 km) and then take a bus, train, or taxi to A Coruña for a total of 105 km.

The whole point of this new concession, as I understand it, is that it is possible to start 'at home' and then walk from A Coruna. :)

The whole point of this new concession, as I understand it, is that it is possible to start 'at home' and then walk from A Coruna. :)

If the first artice is right that is not the most actual massage. That articel tells that it is enough to start vorm A Coruna now - the question is just wehether the articel is just wrong or if there realy is a new regulation.

BC

Raimund

If the first artice is right that is not the most actual massage. That articel tells that it is enough to start vorm A Coruna now - the question is just wehether the articel is just wrong or if there realy is a new regulation.
Raimund, I don't know how fluent you are in Spanish but you could obviously contact the author of the article, Fernando Borjas, and ask him directly. Or you could post your question beneath the article of 27 March as I can see that this writer engages with his readers.

Also, when you read the first sentence in the article (El pasado mes de diciembre os contábamos que el Cabildo de la Catedral de Santiago había decidido empezar a conceder también la compostela todos los peregrinos que recorran el Camino desde A Coruña a través del Camino Inglés), which makes it sound as if all pilgrims walking from A Coruna will get a compostela, did you actually click on the link and read the December 2016 article? Nowhere in all the numerous links given can I see anything else than what others say: Since the end of 2016, a Compostela may be given to residents of A Coruna and surroundings, provided they attend "Jacobean spaces" (churches?) in the city first + to people from abroad provided they have first walked part of the camino (how ever it is defined - depends maybe on arrangements between official pilgrims associations and the Cathedral) in their home country or home region.

Where do you get the idea that there is a different newer "regulation"?

Last edited:
Raimund, I don't know how fluent you are in Spanish but you could obviously contact the author of the article, Fernando Borjas, and ask him directly.

Thanks Katharina

I still think the the best way would bee if the pilgrims office itselve would just bee so kind to publish actual and clear informations for there cusdomers. I am not in a hurry and I am shure they will do that earlier or later even if they may be dont realy love to that earlier than indispensable..... ;)

BC

Raimund

I still think the the best way would bee if the pilgrims office itselve would just bee so kind to publish actual and clear informations for there cusdomers
I sense, also from your earlier messages in this thread, that you regard this (largely volunteer) outfit as a service provider and we are their customers and you are not always happy with their services, right :)? They depend on the S.A.M.I Catedral who put out a press release (see link earlier in this thread) about this in December and the news were duly spread. I don't live in the archbishopry of Santiago and general feel that they owe me nothing ... but then I don't write guidebooks either. Best of luck with your endeavours and further information research!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I sense, also from your earlier messages in this thread, that you regard this (largely volunteer) outfit as a service provider and we are their customers and you are not always happy with their services, right :)? They depend on the S.A.M.I Catedral who put out a press release (see link earlier in this thread) about this in December and the news were duly spread. I don't live in the archbishopry of Santiago and general feel that they owe me nothing ... but then I don't write guidebooks either. Best of luck with your endeavours and further information research!

Well - I realy think it is a real good bussines -eaven if they are glad to have some volunteers to make advertisment with and through them. (Like also comercial albergues on the way do so too and wath need not be immoral in anny case). They make a lot of money whith that kind of cerificates and also with the credenials. But that is NOT the question of that topic. In any case it would be just nice to give answers to the free press and not just refuse answers just because someone seems them to critical and could dristribut there fine bussines. Thats in the interst of all involved.

Thanks for your wishes. :)

Raimund

:confused: PS: May be a from the pilgrims office certified and bessed rowing device, step trainer or treadmill on the start of the way in A Coruna could be THE solucion of that tragic problem. There the pilgrims could do ther missing 25 km first befor they start. :D:p

Last edited:

BC

Raimund
We can only again point you to @JohnnieWalker 's thread (Changes to rules....) and the link he gives to the Cathedral's own website. The newspaper article does not appear to be correct and yes there is a new regulation just for this arm of the Camino Inglés. The webpage given is the official one and is what is in force at the pilgrim office.

Please, we cannot be clearer than this and this is my final response to this thread.

The phrase "tempest in a teapot" comes to mind here. If the historical significance of A Coruña is important to one's Camino experience and finding a 25 km walk in your home country that is acceptable to the cathedral authorities is a problem, why not just start somewhere else in Spain?
I don't live in the UK but if I did the idea of walking from home or from a place of particular religious or historic significance to a Channel port (seaport in Southern England) and then continue directly from Coruña would be more appealing than doing this odd pirouette between Ferrol and A Coruña :) . Nothing wrong with doing the latter but please accept that some people are attracted to the most "natural" progression towards Santiago. And of course this new option must be welcome PR for A Coruña and the Camino Ingles area.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well - I realy think it is a real good bussines -eaven if they are glad to have some volunteers to make advertisment with and through them. (Like also comercial albergues on the way do so too and wath need not be immoral in anny case). They make a lot of money whith that kind of cerificates and also with the credenials. But that is NOT the question of that topic. In any case it would be just nice to give answers to the free press and not just refuse answers just because someone seems them to critical and could dristribut there fine bussines. Thats in the interst of all involved.

Thanks for your wishes. :)

Raimund

In order that there is no misunderstanding the Pilgrim Office does not make a lot of money issuing compostelas and credentials.

We can only again point you to @JohnnieWalker 's thread (Changes to rules....) and the link he gives to the Cathedral's own website. The newspaper article does not appear to be correct and yes there is a new regulation just for this arm of the Camino Inglés. The webpage given is the official one and is what is in force at the pilgrim office.

Please, we cannot be clearer than this and this is my final response to this thread.

Sorry but for me that (spanish) lines of the pilgrims office are still not clear at all! Or can someone tell me concret now which stamps the pilgrims have to bring now that will be acceptet in the end for the missing 25 km? As I can see the confusion is complete and I think that therefore verry few pilgrims from foreign countries will do that way.
What possibly is the goal of the unclear regulation ?!?

BC

Raimund

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back