• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Corazón Puro now open!!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re: The Corazón Puro now open!!!!! Albergue or Pension?

Hello.
On their home page they call their place a "pensión".
And as I see it, it is not a traditional pilgrims refuge!
They have no dorm with bunks but only private double rooms.
Buen Camino
Jochen

The bed 18euro P/P price seems very reasonable considering there is an evening meal and breakfast included most pilgrim menus would cost close to 10euro and a light breakfast around 3 euro. With only twin rooms I am guessing a solo pilgrim may need to pay 36 euro ?

I'm still trying to get my head around where it is in relation to Pamplona? Google map should help me out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
ffp13,

the village of Biskarreta-Gerendiain is on the Camino Frances after Roncevalles and before Zubiri. The long/lat of the Corazon Puro is roughly 42.965413,-1.418536
Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

ffp13 said:
The bed 18euro P/P price seems very reasonable considering there is an evening meal and breakfast included most pilgrim menus would cost close to 10euro and a light breakfast around 3 euro. With only twin rooms I am guessing a solo pilgrim may need to pay 36 euro ?

I'm still trying to get my head around where it is in relation to Pamplona? Google map should help me out.
Jup Frank, we think alike ; I see , heading to SJPDP it is just over 10km short of Roncesvalles.
I also think all intentions are good here and maybe there is just a little info lost in translation. Their site could be a little more comprehensive , listing transport cost and a better breakdown in costs. - perhaps they have not had the time to decide themselves. Do let us know anyone , it does sound like a great alternative.

I am seriously considering this option,

my original plan was to bus to Roncessvalles to start my Camino from there, the bus arrives late in the evening leaving few dining options, and the new Albergue will be completo meaning a trip down to the overflow accommodation in the grand hall of snorers where your neighbours bunk is pushed up against yours and you wake in the early morning being spooned by who knows.

A ride from pamplona to the Albergue/guest house and communal dinner and a breakfast before starting my day 1 sounds like getting off to a good start . Hey there is even a last minute opportunity for a machine cloths wash at 2euro ?

Sounding better the more I think of it

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Unfortunately it is unlikely that I will start from SJPP more likely I would start from there. My memories of my very first Camino from SJPP is still very fresh, and I am older and less fit, but then who knows how I feel once I am there? I hope they allow single bed reservation, I had a kook at their FB page looks great.

According to my guide it is 12.5km from Roncesvalles to here.

If you want to start slowly it would be a good place to stop.

Then 16km to Pamplona.

Fot those of us getting a bit long in the tooth an attractive option.

If it is full then Zubiri is still not too far away.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ffp13 said:
Unfortunately it is unlikely that I will start from SJPP more likely I would start from there.
Yes , and you can still get your 'Mountain Fix' without the gruelling part. I was going to start my next part camino in Zubiri but this sounds great .....and I still get to stay at Zubiri should I wish.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Jochen-Schmidtke said:
Hello.
Corazón Puro offers a transfer from/to Pamplona, Roncesvalles and Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. For free or not? I do not know.
Buen Camino
Jochen

I would imagine there must be a charge with the price of fuel nowdays or it just would not be viable . Perhaps Corazon Puro is able to answer - not sure what advertising agreement they have with Ivar?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
RENSHAW said:
Perhaps Corazon Puro is able to answer - not sure what advertising agreement they have with Ivar?

The comments from a forum moderator on the pamplona Camino shop's thread indicated that they have no issues with forum members asking questions and having them answered.

William Marques said:
As long as this is the only thread relating to the shop the OP is allowed to answer questions as they are posted.

RENSHAW said:
I would imagine there must be a charge with the price of fuel nowdays or it just would not be viable . Perhaps Corazon Puro is able to answer -

I have been in contact with Corazon Puro, the cost for transport from Pamplona to their pension is Eu15,

I am trying to locate the village of Bizkarreta and Corazon Puro albergue using my Brierley Guide map (p.57) with no success. I suspect Basque vs Spanish place names might be the problem. Any ideas??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WineShoppe Guy said:
I am trying to locate the village of Bizkarreta and Corazon Puro albergue using my Brierley Guide map (p.57) with no success. I suspect Basque vs Spanish place names might be the problem. Any ideas??
Best idea is to search on Google earth. Anne

It is near this place:

La Posada Nueva‎
Calle San Pedro, 2
31695 Biskarreta-Gerendiain, Navarre, Spain
948 76 01 73
laposadanueva.net‎

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
WineShoppe Guy said:

It's location was posted on an earlier post

mspath said:
ffp13,

the village of Biskarreta-Gerendiain is on the Camino Frances after Roncevalles and before Zubiri. The long/lat of the Corazon Puro is roughly 42.965413,-1.418536
Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Try Viskarret. It's the same place.

This seems to me to be a very good deal!
You are sleeping with only one other pilgrim, get dinner and breakfast for only 18 Euros!
They also offer a ride from Pamplona to SJPP... I think they will be very busy!
Viskarret or Biskarret is a very short walk from Roncesvalles, about 12.1 k and you'll find it on Brierley's Map 2 about half way up, right after you go over the Rio Erro.

Anniesantiago said:
Viskarret or Biskarret is a very short walk from Roncesvalles, about 12.1 k and you'll find it on Brierley's Map 2 about half way up, right after you go over the Rio Erro.
I wonder if Biskarret is a request stop for the Pamplona - Roncesvalles bus?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anniesantiago said:
This seems to me to be a very good deal!
You are sleeping with only one other pilgrim, get dinner and breakfast for only 18 Euros!
They also offer a ride from Pamplona to SJPP.

I contacted the operator of the Pension and clarified some grey areas not mentioned on their web site, or on this thread.
If there is no second pilgrim to share the room the price is 30euro, for a solo pilgrim.
The transport to SJPP is only available Pension Guests , The cost for transport from Pamplona to the pension is 15 euro, times are flexible prior to 1700, the transport cost from the pension to SJPP is 8 euro.

ffp13 said:
If there is no second pilgrim to share the room the price is 30euro, for a solo pilgrim.
Wow! Your own room plus dinner and breakfast for €30?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
RENSHAW said:
Wow! Your own room plus dinner and breakfast for €30?

for 36 euro you can have two dinners and breakfasts :) :)

It is a tough choice, taxi to Roncessvalles and stay in dorm with no meal 50+ euro or, 45 euro transport to pension 3 course meal and wine private room, and breakfast I just can't decide, ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
ffp13 said:

That sounds very reasonable! I will have to check it out when i do my walk again April 2014

I just discovered this option and am thrilled. For meeting in Pamplona, bed and board, and a ride to SJPP, it seems very reasonable. It also solves a lot of the hassle that seems to be involved in getting to SJPP from Madrid. which has been the most complicated aspect of planning the trip so far....I'm delighted to have found this and am looking forward to it. Thank you Corazon Puro for providing such peace of mind at the start of the trek!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The latest info that I received via email says:

Hello,
It is not too soon.
Anyway our service is: we wait for the pilgrims in Pamplona station (train, bus, or aiport) take them to our house and next morning to SJPP or Roncesvalles and they can start their Camino. Our place is cc at half way between Pamplona and SJPP, 13 km from Roncesvalles, just on the Camino trail. The transport service is available only for those who stay one night in our place.
The transport fee is 25 eur/person to our house and next morning to SJPP, or 18 eur/person to Roncevalles, the price of accomodation in a twin bed room with dinner and breakfast is 18 eur/person.

If you are happy with this service please confirm your booking as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Istvan
www.corazonpuro.es
Facebook: Corazón Puro Pensión El Camino de Santiago

The latest info that I received via email says:

Hello,
It is not too soon.
Anyway our service is: we wait for the pilgrims in Pamplona station (train, bus, or aiport) take them to our house and next morning to SJPP or Roncesvalles and they can start their Camino. Our place is cc at half way between Pamplona and SJPP, 13 km from Roncesvalles, just on the Camino trail. The transport service is available only for those who stay one night in our place.
The transport fee is 25 eur/person to our house and next morning to SJPP, or 18 eur/person to Roncevalles, the price of accomodation in a twin bed room with dinner and breakfast is 18 eur/person.

If you are happy with this service please confirm your booking as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Istvan
www.corazonpuro.es
Facebook: Corazón Puro Pensión El Camino de Santiago
Susan, did you make a reservation? I have one for the night of June 19 and am looking forward to it!
Alyssa

" I don't care what you think about us, about Europe, about Spain, I don't care how you arrange your things in your country, but what you have done it is more than enough. Please stop bothering us with your messages. I can not imagine that any other place on the Camino or anywhere on the Earth would have answered for you so many times. You were looking for a place to stay for one night, this is not a very complicated thing. For the other people is ver simply. We are not interested in that what kind of smart phone you have and teach you how to dial, we are not interested in your training progress, we don't want see your bus ticket. Maybe you don't know that you are not the only one who walk on the Camino, thousands and thousands do. We also have done it many times without sending a lot of mails."

This was an email I just received from Istvan at Corazon Puro.

I sent him a couple of emails to make a reservation and then a couple to ask a few questions on how to contact him plus how to dial his number. Oh yes, I did email him an apology to calm him down for being angry that I asked how to schedule being picked up. What complicates staying at this particular place is that they offer to pick you up at the Pamplona bus station, take you to their pension for an overnight stay and then on to SJPP the next morning.

When you ask about this process, Istvan will, on one hand, offer to pick you up but, if you are inexperienced and trying to learn how they schedule this, he says "we are not a taxi service" [not that I said anything to the contrary] meaning he wants to know well in advance when you will arrive at the bus station. So, once I figured how to schedule a bus ride, I sent him a note of my time of arrival with a attached copy of my bus ticket to confirm the time. Big mistake. It set him off. whoa.

So, the number of emails sent to him was a bit of an exaggeration. I checked over past ten [10] months of my emails. At the bottom of my emails [a part of my signature] is a statement of following my training progress on twitter. Other than this, I was trying to be a good potential guest when he "blew me out of the water" with his temper tantrum. To those who are considering staying there, please do not write Istvan more than one [1] or, at most, twice [2] emails or you will experience his anger, as I did above. Having been nothing but courteous and polite to this person, his temper out-burst was a bit of a shock.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah

PS: I have made reservations at two [2] other albergues over the past ten [10] months and they have never complained about answering a few questions. They were very courteous and kind in their responses. Otherwise, I am not scheduling anything else for my stays.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
" I don't care what you think about us, about Europe, about Spain, I don't care how you arrange your things in your country, but what you have done it is more than enough. Please stop bothering us with your messages. I can not imagine that any other place on the Camino or anywhere on the Earth would have answered for you so many times. You were looking for a place to stay for one night, this is not a very complicated thing. For the other people is ver simply. We are not intreseted in that what kind of smart phone you have and teach you how to dial, we are not interested in your training progress, we don't want see your bus ticket. Maybe you don't know that you are not the only one who walk on the Camino, thousands and thousands do. We also have done it many times without sending a lot of mails."

I sent him a couple of emails to make a reservation and then a couple to ask a few questions on how to contact him plus how to dial his number. Oh yes, I did email him an apology to calm him down for being angry that I asked how to schedule being picked up.

What complicates staying at this particular place is that they offer to pick you up at the Pamplona bus station, take you to their pension for an overnight stay and then on to SJPP the next morning.

When you ask about this process, Istvan will, on one hand, offer to pick you up but, if you are inexperienced and trying to learn how they schedule this, he says "we are not a taxi service" [ not that I said anything to the contrary ] meaning he wants to know well in advance when you will arrive at the bus station. So, once I figured how to schedule a bus ride, I sent him a note of my time of arrival with a attached copy of my bus ticket to confirm the time. Big mistake. It set him off. whoa.

So, the number of emails sent to him was a bit of an exaggeration. I checked over past ten [10] months of my emails.

At the bottom of my emails [ a part of my signature ] is a statement of following my training progress on twitter.

Other than this, I was trying to be a good potential guest when he "blew me out of the water" with his temper tantrum.

To those who are considering staying there, please do not write Istvan more than one [1] or, at most, twice [2] emails or you will experience his anger, as I did above.

Having been nothing but courteous and polite to this person, his temper out-burst was a bit of a shock.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah

PS: I have made reservations at two [2] other albergues over the past ten [10] months and they have never complained about answering a few questions. They were very courteous and kind in their responses. Otherwise, I am not scheduling anything else for my stays.

My husband and I recently stayed at Corazon Puro and our start to the Camino was perfect! Istvan and Barbara are gracious, intelligent hosts who go out of their way to accommodate the variety of pilgrim needs. My only hope is that in publicizing their services, they are not so busy that others can't experience their unique accommodations. The way it worked was I contacted Istvan by email with the dates that we would be there. He confirmed. I then notified him when we knew our exact date for travel to Pamplona from Madrid. He told me a good train to take. He was there to pick us up at the train station in Pamplona and drive us to his home. Barbara made a wonderful wholesome dinner and we enjoyed the company of other peregrines for the evening. Early the next morning, Istvan drove us to St. Jean Pied de Port and we were on our way! We stopped on our way through to thank them for this unique service. I wrote a review of Corazon Puro for Trip Advisor. They are lovely people.

I too enjoyed my stay at Corazon Puro in October 2013. I spent a very pleasant half hour with the very gracious hosts discussing Spanish politics and the future of the European Union. I couldn't have asked for a nicer first night on the Camino. When I arrived early on the short walk from Roncevalles they fixed me a lovely lunch and dinner was great.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
" I don't care what you think about us, about Europe, about Spain, I don't care how you arrange your things in your country, but what you have done it is more than enough. Please stop bothering us with your messages. I can not imagine that any other place on the Camino or anywhere on the Earth would have answered for you so many times. You were looking for a place to stay for one night, this is not a very complicated thing. For the other people is ver simply. We are not interested in that what kind of smart phone you have and teach you how to dial, we are not interested in your training progress, we don't want see your bus ticket. Maybe you don't know that you are not the only one who walk on the Camino, thousands and thousands do. We also have done it many times without sending a lot of mails."

I sent him a couple of emails to make a reservation and then a couple to ask a few questions on how to contact him plus how to dial his number. Oh yes, I did email him an apology to calm him down for being angry that I asked how to schedule being picked up. What complicates staying at this particular place is that they offer to pick you up at the Pamplona bus station, take you to their pension for an overnight stay and then on to SJPP the next morning.

When you ask about this process, Istvan will, on one hand, offer to pick you up but, if you are inexperienced and trying to learn how they schedule this, he says "we are not a taxi service" [not that I said anything to the contrary] meaning he wants to know well in advance when you will arrive at the bus station. So, once I figured how to schedule a bus ride, I sent him a note of my time of arrival with a attached copy of my bus ticket to confirm the time. Big mistake. It set him off. whoa.

So, the number of emails sent to him was a bit of an exaggeration. I checked over past ten [10] months of my emails. At the bottom of my emails [a part of my signature] is a statement of following my training progress on twitter. Other than this, I was trying to be a good potential guest when he "blew me out of the water" with his temper tantrum. To those who are considering staying there, please do not write Istvan more than one [1] or, at most, twice [2] emails or you will experience his anger, as I did above. Having been nothing but courteous and polite to this person, his temper out-burst was a bit of a shock.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah

I'll be honest, you're over planning, it's not Istvan's job to teach you how to call him or figure out how to get to Pamplona, it's yours.
Research on how to make phone calls with a US or Spanish cell phone, learn the calling prefixes for making international calls.
Use rome2rio.com to figure out the schedules.

I'll be honest, you're over planning, it's not Istvan's job to teach you how to call him or figure out how to get to Pamplona, it's yours.
Research on how to make phone calls with a US or Spanish cell phone, learn the calling prefixes for making international calls.
Use rome2rio.com to figure out the schedules.

How can I superlike your post???

Although I've never stayed at Corazon Puro, I think they provide an excellent service at a very reasonable price.
Transportation options from Pamplona to SJPDP and or Roncevalles is limited to taking a taxi for €100, (no thanks) €20 ALSA bus, (which I took) and then Corazon Puro, think about how much driving Istvan has to do on a daily basis?
Driving from his home to transport pilgrims from his place in the morning to SJPDP/Roncevalles, then drive back to his home and help Barbara get their place cleaned up and prepared for the next round of guests, drive to Pamplona and pick up guests and bring them back to their place, cook them dinner, laundry if needed, and then make breakfast in the morning and repeat. This is a lot of work and it keeps them busy, the last thing they need is to be inundated with lots of questions you can research on your own.
I've referred several friends to Corazon Puro and all had a great stay, If I were to walk the Frances again, I'd use their service in a heartbeat.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

¡Buen Camino!

Noah

Barbara and István are experienced pilgrims offering a brilliant service on the Camino! My husband and I enjoyed their service last year. István picked us up at the bus station (he was there when he said he would be... without a problem) and from there he transported us back to the pension. Then, he and Barbara served us a wonderful dinner. We were treated wonderfully! We learned so much from them and we are grateful we found them! We chatted into the evening with them, even watching a bull fight on TV. They were warm, friendly and fascinating! The next morning we were driven to SJPdP and we began our pilgrimage... we overnighted at Orisson and the next day pushed on past Roncesvalles back to Corazón Puro where we spent a second night with them. I felt we received a wonderful service for a very reasonable price... I can not compliment them enough! I looked back through my old emails and I sent them a total of 3 emails, all three received prompt and polite responses.
My opinion is that more and more people are treating the Camino from a tourist point of view, instead of a pilgrim's point of view... the vast majority of the staff running albergues and pensions are experienced pilgrims and this new wave of "tourigrinos" must kind-of get to them occasionally... it certainly gave me pause from time to time! (Side-note... My favorite "tourigrino" story was of a woman we met at Orisson... who brought FIFTEEN pairs of shoes... I always wondered what became of her...)

It's so refreshing to see all the love for Istvan and Barbara. I was quite perturbed with the negative comments towards them, especially because if you ask them if there is anyone to avoid on the camino they will respond that their preferences have no right to influences any one else's. I will never start a future camino without them. A+++ to them, 1000x over.

I was quite perturbed with the negative comments towards them, especially because if you ask them if there is anyone to avoid on the camino they will respond that their preferences have no right to influences any one else's.
Forum members are pretty good about evaluating reviews. One from someone who has never stayed in a place or been on a camino does not have a lot of influence. ;) Arkbuilder's point about an impolite email is useful, however. It is cautionary to other Members, and should be a heads up for Corazon Puro. "Delete" is always an option to an email as opposed to a nasty response. Everyone has good and bad days, and we understand that.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My husband and I stayed here in August of last year. After slipping crossing a creek, my husbands pack was wet. They gave us a cold beer to just sit and relax a bit, washed all of the wet clothes, provided us with one of the two best meals we had on the Camino and were the nicest friendliest people. I plan to stay here again.
Lynda

Istvan and Barbara are two of the most pleasant, helpful people that I have met ANYWHERE, not just on the Camino. The pilgrim with the problem must have pushed "pretty hard" to get such a reaction.
Maybe not a great marketing strategy by Istvan......but believe me, you can't find a better place to stay "the day before" your Camino.
Viva Corazon Puro!

I have also stayed with Istvan and Barbara on my way to SJPDP. Istvan picked me up in Pamplona and took me to his place, fed me well and had a very nice clean place to stay that night before taking me to St Jean the next morning. He was always courteous, helpful and interested in any questions that I had about the Camino.
I stopped to say hello on the way thru as well and Barbara re-dressed my hand that I had hurt coming down the Pyrenees. Classy place, classy people. I will be staying there again next year when I re-do the Francis again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Dear Forum members! Thanks for the nice notes about our place. We deeply believe in the theory of "word of mouth, this is the best marketing tool. We are also very happy when we read our guest book and our "paper Facebook" on the wall. Hundred and hundred warm hearted messages from those who stayed in the Corazón Puro. Pilgrims from more than 50 different countries. They already know us, they already know why we call our place Corazón Puro. Which two Sapnish words mean: Pure Heart.

We are all human being subject to emotion, misunderstanding, and mistake, etc.
Despite what other people say, I had a pleasure of meeting and staying at Istvan/Barbara's albergue or pension because that was the best choice when I arrived at Pamplona and had to go to SJPdP in late April there were no buses between Pamplona and SJPdP.
It turned out he and his wife were very nice people, and I had a good dinner , breakfast and a good ride next day at a reasonable price.

Despite what other people say otherwise, he and his wife are nice, decent people.

Having first hand good experience, I felt I have an obligation to come to his defense.

I was very pleased with my Corazon Puro experience about a month ago. It was the perfect way to begin my Camino without stressing out about how to get to St Jean. Additionally, when I called Istvan from the airport because I was confused about how to get to Pamplona, he helped me figure out the train schedule.

Thank you everyone. I have a reservation at Corazon Puro for 23rd August. I had a prompt response from Istvan and I am being picked up In Pamplona, staying the night and then being driven to St. Jean Pied de Port the following day. Couldn't be happier!

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back