• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Cordoba Mezquita Geology Museum

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I’m indulging myself here, as an ex geologist. When I visited the Mezquita in 2018, I was astonished at the beauty and variety of source rocks for the celebrated 850 columns of the hypostyle hall. I shouldn’t have been, because apparently they were recycled columns from previous Roman and Visigoth sites from all over Spain. Columns are particularly effective at displaying petrology on a grand scale, because of course they are polished fresh rock. One example particularly engaged my attention.
647bf5a7-eb7a-4bf7-ab36-a8f35e5a1e2d (1).jpeg
This is a classic example of an olistostrome breccia. These rocks outcrop extensively on the southern side of the Guadalquivir valley. They represent what are called mass transport deposits, giant slump features on a scale of cubic kilometres, formed during the severe deformation of sedimentary layers when continental plates collide - in this case the African and European plates about 15 million years ago. On this map you can see the occurrence of slump deposits on the northern front of the Betic Cordillera, extending from east of Jaen as far as Cadiz.
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 3.39.09 pm.jpeg
There is a postscript to this. In 2019 I stayed at an airbnb in the centre of Avignon, a converted apartment in a 17th century house close to the Palais des Papes. In the lounge was this fireplace. the owner called it marble. I disagreed.
IMG_0142 (1).jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the lounge was this fireplace. the owner called it marble. I disagreed.
And what did you call it?

It is interesting that I wouldn't choose to have that particular stone as a decorative feature in my house, but when its origin is explained, we can develop a much different appreciation of the appearance.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the owner called it marble. I disagreed.
I don't anticipate being able to retrieve "olistostrome breccia" from my memory when the need arises. For those of us who are merely disagreeable, without being disagreeable recovering geologists, is there a vernacular term for our hosts' mock-marble furnishings? Could it be .... "mudstone"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh-uh.
A different beast altogether. I'll let Paul chime in with a possibility.
I knew you would be interested in this thread, VN!

I don't anticipate being able to retrieve "olistostrome breccia" from my memory when the need arises.
Once retrieving it from memory, pronouncing it fluidly in conversation would be a more serious problem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
pronouncing it fluidly in conversation
Thus labelling one as a geogeek. 🙃
Chaoic and jumbled up underwater deposits getting cemented together into rock do call out for an evocative common name.
I vote for 'apocalyptic breccia.' 😂
When those slumps happened, it sure would have been the end of the world for anyone in the vicinity.

And what did you call it?
.. is there a vernacular term for our hosts' mock-marble furnishings? Could it be .... "mudstone"?
I hope I did not come across as being irritatingly picky but I was intrigued and quite thrilled to see such a distinctive rock-type used in this way - in both locations. I agree and have no intrinsic objection that colloquially we all refer to most polished stone whatever its origin as marble, except in distinguishing crystalline rock as polished granite, which similarly it may not be.

In any dictionary marble is defined as metamorphosed limestone, (or or a glass sphere beloved of most males of my generation in their youth!) But who cares?

But in this case the breccia contributes to an amazing story of continents colliding and a vanished ocean, Tethys.

And this led me to an app that I wasn't aware of, an interactive ICS Timescale. It's very cool, because you can access all kinds of specific information about sites defining boundaries between geological strata. Click on the wheel and you get a map with specific type locality. For example on the Camino Viejo:
Screenshot_20210520-122056_ICS Timescale.jpg Screenshot_20210520-122010_ICS Timescale.jpg

I'm digging a hole for myself, but I got a buzz out of these too!
P6170482.jpeg P6170494.jpeg ...granite fence posts?????

You can wait with bated breath for my next instalment, "On this Day in May". May 22nd 2018, Almaden ...(the other one).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hope I did not come across as being irritatingly picky
Not at all. I thought you were very entertaining - both to us and to your host. And I admire the scholarship and expertise that people share here - the geekier the better.

It's sometimes hard to get a humorous sentiment across over the interwebs. I picked up the word "disagree" and turned it into "disagreeable" (which I also levelled at myself). And recovering geologist for ex-geologist ... Well, I was aiming to convey a gentle ribbing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How did you come up with the wheel for the Santonian in your first pic?
That wheel is what came up for me when I opened the app.
If you spin it, you can see the pins on the edge of the wheel; [EDIT:] click on "see more" in red at the bottom left of the screen to access the map.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hooray. I am no geologist also thought that those were extraordinary. I think I mentioned in my diary that they seemed so extravagant, but must have been an economical / readily available material.
It beats me how cutting, or at least cleaving the toughest rock on the planet into fence posts would occur to anybody!

That wheel is what comes up when you open the app.
If you spin it, you can see the pins on the edge of the wheel; click on one of them to access the map.
Maybe there's some Apple incompatibility. The wheel is completely passive on my Mac.
And curiously it suggests searching "ICS timescale" on the appstore, and I came up with nothing (on my iphone).
Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 2.46.18 pm.jpeg

It beats me how cutting, or at least cleaving the toughest rock on the planet into fence posts would occur to anybody!
Well, you'd only have to do it once. 🙃
The wheel is completely passive on my Mac.
Bummer. I'm using an Android and it works perfectly. Does it move at all. with a MYBP# changing in the middle of the screen on the left margin? If so, hover over anywhere there's a yellow pin and see if there is a link that appears on the lower left. (Sorry. I edited that post above to make that clear).

20210520_132825.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am no geologist...
Well, neither am I really, not having worked in the field since 1974. (Life takes some quirky turns). Nevertheless it has been a lifelong interest and a fair proportion of the books on my shelves are specifically geological, not to mention a fair proportion of photos on my phone.
And maybe I should recommend a fascinating book to you guys. it's approach is quite unique, and the content completely up-to-date.
.IMG_2379 (1).jpeg

Hey, it's nice to be in your company. I'm so used to peoples eyes glazing over when I wax lyrical about rocks.
Here's my brother when he accompanied me to the NW Highlands of Scotland.
PB181888.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To be fair to my brother, we staged that photo for a laugh. “ Rocks? What rocks?” That road cutting is heritage-listed.

With respect to my first post, I was astonished this morning to see on the news images of the interior of the Jackson Mississippi legislature.
Senate - Chamber TM.jpeg

Ummm.
Where did that olistostrome breccia come from, I wonder?

Skimming wikipedia about the geology of Mississippi, it seems unlikely to be from inside the state. So I went looking and this is all I found:
More than 10 types of marble from other states and countries are found throughout the Capitol.
So if it's from the US, the USGS says either Rhode Island or Washington State. Could be Spain too.

(That's quite a look. A bit too much action for my taste.)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back