• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Corfu Trail

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
I know this is not a Camino or Pilgrimage route but I was wondering if any other long distance addicts like myself :) have walked or experienced the Corfu trail. I have a guidebook on order but won't see it until the end of the month.

Many thanks and cheers,
Eric

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know this is not a Camino or Pilgrimage route but I was wondering if any other long distance addicts like myself :) have walked or experienced the Corfu trail. I have a guidebook on order but won't see it until the end of the month.

Many thanks and cheers,
Eric
Replying to activate my original post to give it one more try. Anyone familiar with the Corfu Trail?
Thanks
Eric

Never heard of it Eric , however I'm certainly interested in any responses. Here's hoping.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, I walked this route in the spring of 2014, it was beautiful! Lovely views, abundant wildflowers, quite hilly, and Greek food is fantastic. This was not Camino style though, it was a group walk with a guide, which was good as there was very little way-marking, we saw almost no other walkers. PM if you have other questions.

Hello, I walked this route in the spring of 2014, it was beautiful! Lovely views, abundant wildflowers, quite hilly, and Greek food is fantastic. This was not Camino style though, it was a group walk with a guide, which was good as there was very little way-marking, we saw almost no other walkers. PM if you have other questions.
Thanks for info, sounds lovely. Haven't been back to Corfu since 1985, only went there after reading My Family and Other Animals. Maybe one day I'll get back again.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We went with a UK company Explore Worldwide, 2 week trip was called the Corfu Trail Explorer
Thanks auburnfive for your reply. We may miss the flowers as we plan to walk in Sep / Oct.
One question - Are accommodations readily available at days end?
Many thanks

I've been to the lovely island of Corfu thre years ago, but never knew it had any long distance hikes. Surely they aren't 800 kilometers long...hikers would either be swimming in the ocean or the trail would snake back and forth many, many times; at least from my memory of how big the island is.😁

Yes, there is quite a bit of back and forth on the trail, and you cover most of the island. Accommodations are limited, probably good to prearrange if you can.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I came across this route on a UK TV programme and thought it sounded like a pleasant route to walk with my wife. There is some info on the web, for example - http://www.thecorfutrail.com . Only had a quick look so not sure yet about availability of accommodation yet. My wife would probably only want to walk about 20 kms a day (as opposed to my 50km ish preference) so we would need plenty of options.

I highly recommend the book My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell. It is set in Corfu and describes a lot of the flora and fauna of the island. The book is also laugh out loud funny. Recommended not only for those of you interested in Corfu, but also just a great book for anyone looking for a good book to read.

I highly recommend the book My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell. It is set in Corfu and describes a lot of the flora and fauna of the island. The book is also laugh out loud funny. Recommended not only for those of you interested in Corfu, but also just a great book for anyone looking for a good book to read.
I couldn't agree more, it was because of this book I visited Corfu in the early 80's. Never been back, hopefully one day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just back from the Corfu Trail and would thoroughly recommend it for anyone needing a walking fix whilst the Spanish caminos are unavailable to most.

The Corfu Tail is not a pilgrimage walk but you could easily make it into one. There are plenty of shrines, churches (mostly locked but there's one amazing ruined chapel with frescos and one cut into the rock inside a castle), monasteries (some in ruins/some in use which you can visit) along the way for contemplative moments and you can also visit the relics of Saint Spyridion in Corfu Town.

The walk takes around 10 days and is structured into manageable chunks of around 15k per day but some days are pretty exhausting despite the short distances. There's a fair amount of climbing towards the end (around 600m a day). The way marking (yellow CT arrows!) isn’t always brilliant and at some points it’s easy to get lost but there is an app which is a huge help. There’s a lot of walking on gravel tracks/unmade roads, some road walking but no long stretches into a city, some walking along the sand on the beach and a little bit of mountain track. There are a couple of very short scrambles where roads have collapsed/mountain paths but on the whole it’s fairly easy walking and manageable for most. It can be very muddy in places. Most of the time you have a beautiful sea view and plenty of opportunities for sea swims at the end of the day.

In the tiny villages the accommodation needs to be booked in advance to avoid potential long days/bus trips because there are limited options. In the holiday resorts accommodation is a lot easier to find. There are companies that will arrange everything for you including transporting your bags but we booked independently. Food was fairly easy with multiple stops on most days (note this would be much more difficult off season). Most of the places we stayed had little kitchens in the rooms and we cooked a couple of nights – be prepared to carry food if cooking in a tiny place as it may not have shops/open shops. English is widely spoken.

Couple of photos:
IMG_0420[1].JPGIMG_0514[1].JPG.IMG_0073[1].JPGIMG_0701[1].JPGIMG_0496[1].JPG

Thanks for the interesting write-up and useful details, Helen!

For anyone interested in a gpx track of the Corfu Trail, Wikiloc lists several. Some of the postings include descriptions and photos.

Oh dear - now there's another trail to put at the top of my list.....:rolleyes:
I loved Durrell's books - every one of them - far better than his more literary brother... - but his sister was pretty good too!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Many thanks and cheers,
Eric
I walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and have booked all my accommodation for the Corfu Trail starting 22 April 2021. Really looking forward to it but not sure if I will get to walk it with the Covid situation.

Corfu is slightly off the route to Jerusalem as the Via Egnatia crosses Albania (Durrës) to the north. You could try the Corfu Trail and then head to Thessaloniki and join the VE there.

This is sunrise in Corfu from a few months ago when trying the southern route through to Athens. Have a preference for the southern (islands) route rather than Albania.

Attachments

• Corfu_Town.jpg
    Corfu_Town.jpg
    958.5 KB · Views: 22
I walked the Camino Frances in 2019 and have booked all my accommodation for the Corfu Trail starting 22 April 2021. Really looking forward to it but not sure if I will get to walk it with the Covid situation.
Update on my previous post that I should be starting the Corfu trail on April 22nd 2021. Just canceled all my accommodation as will not be able to go ahead because of Covid. However have rebooked to start 8th September 2021. Am also looking at the Camino Portugal for April 2022. Have got to look ahead and believe. May see you along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Current guidelines for UK residents visiting Corfu are pretty positive, if you’re vaccinated you can travel with
out isolation and appear to be able to move freely (albeit sensibly) on the island. A very tempting getaway right now for a walk - especially with some bargain flights to be had with Ryanair. Hmmmmmmm……

We’re looking forward to your update and hearing about your adventures! Sorry to pressure you; this coming from a sad Sydneysider who has been in lockdown and allowed to travel 5km from home for the last ~4 months. My lockdown ‘bucket list’ now includes Corfu Trail (having watched The Durrels BBCTC series and The Greek Islands with Julia Bradbury series while in lockdown.) I know, too much TV. Plus other versions of the Camino (done Frances) + Japan monastery pilgrimage + Corsica walk + the Lycian Way.

€60,-
We’re looking forward to your update and hearing about your adventures! Sorry to pressure you; this coming from a sad Sydneysider who has been in lockdown and allowed to travel 5km from home for the last ~4 months. My lockdown ‘bucket list’ now includes Corfu Trail (having watched The Durrels BBCTC series and The Greek Islands with Julia Bradbury series while in lockdown.) I know, too much TV. Plus other versions of the Camino (done Frances) + Japan monastery pilgrimage + Corsica walk + the Lycian Way.
He already finished it but posted in a new thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-corfu-trail.71677/

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.