• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The cost of Portuguese Camino

Jamie Y. Mo

A lifelong learner and wanderer
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (May-July/2017) PC (May-July/2018) and more...
Hi all,
I am leaving for Portuguese Camino on April 29 and will be arriving in Lisbon on the 30th.
Will start walking probably after a day or two of my arrival in Lisbon. So it's possible that I will be starting my Camino on the 1st or 2nd of May...
This is my 2nd Camino. (I took 7 weeks on FC from SJPP to Muxia and Finisterra in May and June last year)
As I am a low budget traveler, I would like to know how much I should expect for Portuguese Camino.
FYI, I did not spend more than 800 Euros in total for food, lodging, and accommodation on the FC last year.
I know it varies depending on what and how you spend your money but I found FC very affordable cost-wise.
I would like to ask how much it costs, generally speaking, on Portuguese Camino so that I can prepare for that expense.
I heard that things are cheaper in Portugal than in Spain. So my expectation is kinda about 600-700 Euros in total.. but I would like to get real examples from the people who have actually walked the way in Portugal...

Thank you and Buen Camino, all pilgrims...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked between Santarem and Porto last Oct and Porto to Santiago in late Apr-begining of May. Spent most nights in municipal albergues in Portugal and Spain. Can't agree that Portugal has less, between Lisbon and Porto there are enough municipal albergues now, apart from the hostel in Tomar, even Lisbon opened an albergue this year. The only thing is that albergues are slightly more expenssive on the way to Porto, 5-15 euros a night, from Porto the infrastructure is excellent and cheaper, 5-10 euros in general. Food: portions are huge in Portugal so that I often ended up often sharing a meal with another pilgrim, and you can have your half a portion for as low as 4-5 euros for rice, potatoes, fried fish and salad, bread and olives. Or salata mixta: huge veg salad with tuna for 5-6 euros, or a big plate of soup for 1.5-2 euros. I packed some food for the road before the trip, like some nuts, chocolate, dried fruit, couscous, teabags, that saved time and money as well, although you can replenish your stocks on the road. Just be warned that between Santarem and Coimbra there are less cafes on the road, so fill in you water bottles when you see water available. I cooked a couple of times on the road, bought food in the farmers markets as well, and found the Portuguese way very afordable and relaxing in terms of budget.
Costs: Santarem to Porto (you need to add 3 more days if you walk from Lisbon), 10 day walking - 210 euros for food, accommodation, miscellaneous. Porto to Santiago: 9 days - 160-170 euros. That doesn't include staying in Lisbon/Porto/Santiago. Need to warn everyone that it's probably the lower limit.
The website of the Portuguese way with all the albergues there: http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/

I heard that things are cheaper in Portugal than in Spain. So my expectation is kinda about 600-700 Euros in total.. but I would like to get real examples from the people who have actually walked the way in Portugal... Thank you and Buen Camino, all pilgrims...
You didn't say how many days you expect to take.
I assume you plan to use albergues every night? I would allow myself about 25 Euros a day to include albergue, and food. But then I eat a lot! And I enjoy my wine! Add another 20 Euros a day if you plan to stay in hostal/**hotels.
Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are nearly in SDC now, I have walked VDLP NORTE and Francais I found the accomodation on the Portuguese expensive and hard to find. We started out March 10th and the first Albergue was closed, all accomodation was off the Camino in the next town so after walking 34kms we caught the train to the next town but on average up until Porto it was an average of 15 euro pp per night. We could not get into the donotivo in SaoJaoa da Madeira as we could not find it. That night the cheapest place we could find was the hostel at 45 euro for 2.
There was one great Albergue 11.50 and Grijo $5 after Porto there are many Albergues and it is easy to find accomodation for 5 euro per night. Food and coffee is incredibly cheap in Portugal. Plus the Portugal people are so lovely especially before Porto. Be aware an awful lot of cobblestone walking.

Hi all,
I am leaving for Portuguese Camino on April 29 and will be arriving in Lisbon on the 30th.
Will start walking probably after a day or two of my arrival in Lisbon. So it's possible that I will be starting my Camino on the 1st or 2nd of May...
This is my 2nd Camino. (I took 7 weeks on FC from SJPP to Muxia and Finisterra in May and June last year)
As I am a low budget traveler, I would like to know how much I should expect for Portuguese Camino.
FYI, I did not spend more than 800 Euros in total for food, lodging, and accommodation on the FC last year.
I know it varies depending on what and how you spend your money but I found FC very affordable cost-wise.
I would like to ask how much it costs, generally speaking, on Portuguese Camino so that I can prepare for that expense.
I heard that things are cheaper in Portugal than in Spain. So my expectation is kinda about 600-700 Euros in total.. but I would like to get real examples from the people who have actually walked the way in Portugal...

Be aware that May 1 is a Holiday - European equivalent of Labor Day. Some things will be closed and transit schedules are different, should you be thinking about bus or train. Bom Caminho!

I have walked VDLP NORTE and Francais I found the accomodation on the Portuguese expensive and hard to find. We started out March 10th and the first Albergue was closed, all accomodation was off the Camino in the next town so after walking 34kms we caught the train to the next town but on average up until Porto it was an average of 15 euro pp per night. We could not get into the donotivo in SaoJaoa da Madeira as we could not find it. That night the cheapest place we could find was the hostel at 45 euro for 2.
I agree that the accommodation is generally more expensive between Lisbon and Porto then from Porto onwards. Have heard from Portuguese that some of the albergues between Lisbon and Porto might be closed before April and it also depends on the weather. Like this year in spring with the horrible rains and storms and wind - they suppose people don't walk in these conditions. I guess it gets much easier from Apr onwards when the season is on. Though there are alternative options on the route for those who are on the budget - bombeiros accommodation is available in many towns. I haven't stayed with them as all the albergues were open at the end of Oct, but spoken to those who did. They say it's decent as a sleeping place, no bother to stay there overnight.
We stayed in Sao Joao in Casa de Misericordia, that donativo you mentioned. Very basic like bombeiros probably: mattresses on the floor in a very big room, will fit around 20 I guess, showers nearby, no kitchen, close to the center, a lot of elderly people there during the day. Very different from Casa de Misericordia in Santarem where I stayed in a room for two, with kitchen, in the centre.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked from Porto to SdC on the Interior and the Coastal Routes. I think it is slightly more expensive than the CF, but not a budget buster. It was probably due to less food options so dining was more expensive.

Be aware that May 1 is a Holiday - European equivalent of Labor Day. Some things will be closed and transit schedules are different, should you be thinking about bus or train. Bom Caminho!
Thank you for your heads-up!

I have walked from Porto to SdC on the Interior and the Coastal Routes. I think it is slightly more expensive than the CF, but not a budget buster. It was probably due to less food options so dining was more expensive.
I probably cook rather than eating out.. as I did last year on FC.. How about accommodation-wise if you don't mind?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You didn't say how many days you expect to take.
I assume you plan to use albergues every night? I would allow myself about 25 Euros a day to include albergue, and food. But then I eat a lot! And I enjoy my wine! Add another 20 Euros a day if you plan to stay in hostal/**hotels.
Buen camino!
Oh sorry! I will walk all the way from Lisbon to Santiago de compostella and further to Finisterra and Muxia...
I maintained my budget quite strict and was just fine with all I needed...

I stayed at few place where pilgrims could cook but in general there were not many.

I walked between Santarem and Porto last Oct and Porto to Santiago in late Apr-begining of May. Spent most nights in municipal albergues in Portugal and Spain. Can't agree that Portugal has less, between Lisbon and Porto there are enough municipal albergues now, apart from the hostel in Tomar, even Lisbon opened an albergue this year. The only thing is that albergues are slightly more expenssive on the way to Porto, 5-15 euros a night, from Porto the infrastructure is excellent and cheaper, 5-10 euros in general. Food: portions are huge in Portugal so that I often ended up often sharing a meal with another pilgrim, and you can have your half a portion for as low as 4-5 euros for rice, potatoes, fried fish and salad, bread and olives. Or salata mixta: huge veg salad with tuna for 5-6 euros, or a big plate of soup for 1.5-2 euros. I packed some food for the road before the trip, like some nuts, chocolate, dried fruit, couscous, teabags, that saved time and money as well, although you can replenish your stocks on the road. Just be warned that between Santarem and Coimbra there are less cafes on the road, so fill in you water bottles when you see water available. I cooked a couple of times on the road, bought food in the farmers markets as well, and found the Portuguese way very afordable and relaxing in terms of budget.
Costs: Santarem to Porto (you need to add 3 more days if you walk from Lisbon), 10 day walking - 210 euros for food, accommodation, miscellaneous. Porto to Santiago: 9 days - 160-170 euros. That doesn't include staying in Lisbon/Porto/Santiago. Need to warn everyone that it's probably the lower limit.
The website of the Portuguese way with all the albergues there: http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/
Wow. Awesome. Thank you so much for your time and your contribution.
I certainly have now easier mind than before because you have walked recently and your information is from your experience. I am relieved to hear that Portuguese route is affordable. I will spread this news to my friend who is also keen to walk Portuguese Camino in the near future.
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow. Awesome. Thank you so much for your time and your contribution.
I certainly have now easier mind than before because you have walked recently and your information is from your experience. I am relieved to hear that Portuguese route is affordable. I will spread this news to my friend who is also keen to walk Portuguese Camino in the near future.
Buen Camino!
Mind you I am vegetarian and don't drink, so it might have been cheaper for me. And also I found out that when you are happy you don't really need much food either :) Most of the municipal and private albergues in Portugal have kitchens, so you can cook there. When you cross over to Spain the situation changes though, the many municipal albergues are bare, no kitchen untensils there, so either eat out or stay in the private ones from time to time.

Mind you I am vegetarian and don't drink, so it might have been cheaper for me. And also I found out that when you are happy you don't really need much food either :) Most of the municipal and private albergues in Portugal have kitchens, so you can cook there. When you cross over to Spain the situation changes though, the many municipal albergues are bare, no kitchen untensils there, so either eat out or stay in the private ones from time to time.
Oh great. So am I although I enjoy occasional cool beer and a glass of wine... Yes. I agree. I'm not so much into food. I lost noticeable weight because I often forgot to eat or ate much less. Awesome. Kitchen is important for me wherever I go. OK. I will bear that in my mind. Thank you so much Surya8. Buen Camino and Gracias

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many thanks for providing the link to the comprehensive list of
Alburgues. Very helpful.

Hi all,

I just walked from Lisbon. I would say the Camino Portuguese is more, not less expensive because there are fewer Albuergues between Lisbon and Porto so you stay in more small hotels and guest houses which I found to be a bit more expensive. Food is maybe a bit less expensive.

I had a foreshortened walk from Lisbon to San Pedro Rates( where I left because both of my Achilles were so painful that I was only making 2km/hour). Because of the early hot weather in Lisbon, and the worn down Achilles, I really only had 7 days of full walking of 14 nights for the whole trip. The route was beautiful, the Portuguese were wonderful, and just enough other pilgrims to have dinner companions most nights.
I found it fairly expensive because of the long distances (for me now) meant more hotels and fewer albergues. The albergues (and firehouses) where I stayed were very reasonable (donativo to 12 euro max), but with my short days, I could not always stay in an albergue so looking at 25eu for a single room. So I am pretty much in agreement with Mormon.
I do hope to do it again, but will probably just leave from Porto to get the shorter days and better infrastructure. That said, it was the cobblestones that did in my Achilles!! even with inserts, poles and taping!! And there was plenty of cobble between Porto and SanPedro!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are nearly in SDC now, I have walked VDLP NORTE and Francais I found the accomodation on the Portuguese expensive and hard to find. We started out March 10th and the first Albergue was closed, all accomodation was off the Camino in the next town so after walking 34kms we caught the train to the next town but on average up until Porto it was an average of 15 euro pp per night. We could not get into the donotivo in SaoJaoa da Madeira as we could not find it. That night the cheapest place we could find was the hostel at 45 euro for 2.
There was one great Albergue 11.50 and Grijo $5 after Porto there are many Albergues and it is easy to find accomodation for 5 euro per night. Food and coffee is incredibly cheap in Portugal. Plus the Portugal people are so lovely especially before Porto. Be aware an awful lot of cobblestone walking.
Trude, we plan on trekking the CPI in September from Lisbon (did CF 2X), and my question is, since you started in March (pretty early from what we've read), were there just physically no places to sleep or were many closed and not open yet?

I stayed last year at the very last open night in Alpriate--Sunday Oct 1.

I'd agree with many of the pilgrims here that the walk between Lisbon and Porto could be more expensive then you think. Unless you brace yourself and walk 8 days in a row for 30-35km every day between Lisbon and Coimbra, which we did. Yes, the stages between towns there are horrendous, but if you can phisically do it and stick with the etapas in the Brierly guide then it's budget. After Coimbra the stages are shorter. If you walk less km per day then staying in private accommodation will be more expensive indeed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Trude, we plan on trekking the CPI in September from Lisbon (did CF 2X), and my question is, since you started in March (pretty early from what we've read), were there just physically no places to sleep or were many closed and not open yet?
Alpriate was closed for renovations so they said. The next town were all off the Camino and our feet were killing us as we had walked over 32 first day. We did not have Spanish phones and could not risk walking there to find them closed. There are not a lot of Albergues and I had never heard of staying with the firemen. Had visions of sleeping in a fire station. So opted for Hostals. After a very long day and finding the Hostals closed in Porta da Muge we found Quinta Da Burra just outside and it was lovely. We found it got a lot better after Porto. Good luck it may have all been different if Alpriate had been opened. Plus the weather was shocking.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back