• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The countdown has started

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We just received these credencials in the post.
We're excited, just 160 days before we start walking our Caminho Português (and a few variations).
Bom Caminho !

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_095957.jpg
    IMG_20191218_095957.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 58
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We're excited, just 160 days before we start walking our Caminho Português (and a few variations).
Bom Caminho !

AJ, at some point, it would be great to see your long list of stages and places to stay. I know you have worked out a fantabulous itinerary of short stages, lovely detours, and special stops.

And just a quick question — how did you order the Portuguese credentials?

Bom Caminho !
I hope that you really enjoy your Caminho and Portugal. It is a beautiful and peaceful country. Make sure you include Fatima on the route. Walk it, don't simply catch the bus. It will make your special Caminho, even more special.

Bom caminho.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
AJ, at some point, it would be great to see your long list of stages and places to stay. I know you have worked out a fantabulous itinerary of short stages, lovely detours, and special stops.

And just a quick question — how did you order the Portuguese credentials?

Hello Laurie,
I haven't quite finished my planning (looking after a 2 year old :) ), but I'll definitely share it when it's done.

I actually bought these credentials online: https://www.alberguedebarcelos.com/category/credencial

Delivered to Australia, and it helps the Albergue in Barcelos.

Last edited:
I hope that you really enjoy your Caminho and Portugal. It is a beautiful and peaceful country. Make sure you include Fatima on the route. Walk it, don't simply catch the bus. It will make your special Caminho, even more special.

Bom caminho.

Thank you @hughb !
We're starting in Lisbon, and we are indeed including Fatima.
At this stage, there's only one section where we're catching a train to shorten a stage by 8km, and we're definitely walking the rest :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Porto-Santiago (9/26-10/8), for me and a friend. Already doing a deep dive on the various routes, accommodations and food. I am hoping to walk the coastal/littoral route, weather permitting. A lot to look forward too!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought my Via Luisitania credencial from the albergue in Barcelos too, because I like to plan ahead! Delivered very speedily to the UK. And you can choose which of four pictures to have on the back. I chose the Se in Coimbra, happy memories of my Lisbon to Porto walk in 2018. AJ, I walked the Portugues Coastal from Porto to Santiago this year (with the Spiritual Variant too), and loved it. Highly recommended!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Did this in April - ominous start with torrential rain in Porto but the weather improved but still some rain all the way - was a great trip despite this - intend to start in Lisbon next year

What date are you starting your walk? My husband and I are also doing the same walk starting just after Easter.
Did this in April - ominous start with torrential rain in Porto but the weather improved but still some rain all the way - was a great trip despite this - intend to start in Lisbon next year
Bom Caminho !
What date are you starting your walk? My husband and I are also doing the same one starting just after Easter

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are starting in Lisboa mid April so will have just finished when you head off.
Just wondering how far and where do you plan to stay the first night out.

We're doing a variation: we're following the Caminho do Mar up to Sintra, Then going down to the coast and taking the Trilho das Areias up to Nazaré. From there we will cross to Fatima and then Tomar, where we will be back on the Caminho Português. So the first night out is at Oeiras.

@peregrina2000 , here it is, our list of stages from Lisbon to SdC.

A note: for medical reasons mainly (read my explanation in another post), we are walking short stages as much as we can, and we are taking many rest days. For the same reasons, we choose private accommodation. Again, for the same reasons, we need certainty of accommodation at the end of the day, hence our planning and booking ahead. Our walk is one of thanksgiving.

After our experience in 2018, we have chosen, just like on the Norte, alternatives between Lisbon and Tomar.

So here goes:
23 May 2020 Lisbon
24 May 2020 Oeiras HI Oeiras – Pousada de Juventude 16km
25 May 2020 Cascais Kasa 23 Cascais 16km
26 May 2020 Aldeia de Juso J&B Guincho Villa 15km
27 May 2020 Sintra Casas da Biquinha – Seteais (A) 16km (A)=AirBnB
28 May 2020 Rest day in Sintra
29 May 2020 Praia da Macas Hotel Oceano 13km
30 May 2020 Carvoeira R. da Serra 15, 2655-111 Carvoeira (A) 17km
31 May 2020 Sao Lourenco / Ribamar Sal da Costa Lodging 12km
1 Jun 2020 Santa Cruz Memórias da Praia 19km
2 Jun 2020 Praia da Areia Branca Dom Lourenco 19km
3 Jun 2020 Peniche Sea Garden Pension 16km
4 Jun 2020 Bus from Peniche to Obidos Casa de S. Thiago de Obidos (Rest day)
5 Jun 2020 Caldas da Rainha Nova Delpa A.L. 7km
6 Jun 2020 Foz do Arelho Agua d'Alma Hotel 14km
7 Jun 2020 Sao Martinho do Porto Albergaria Sao Pedro 16km
8 Jun 2020 Nazaré R. do Soberco 10 (A) 15km
9 Jun 2020 Rest day in Nazaré
10 Jun 2020 Alcobaça Hostel Rossio Alcobaça 16km
11 Jun 2020 Porto de Mos Alojamento Local Céu Azul 22km
12 Jun 2020 Fatima Rua Sebastiāo Vieira Médíco (A) 20km
13 Jun 2020 Rest day in Fatima
14 Jun 2020 Fungalvaz Casa da Flores 21km
15 Jun 2020 Tomar Rua São Gião 4 (A) 10km
16 Jun 2020 Rest day in Tomar
17 Jun 2020 Vila Verde Quinta dos Templarios (A) 12km
18 Jun 2020 Alvaiazere Residencial O Bras 11km
19 Jun 2020 Ansião Adega típica de Ansião 13km
20 Jun 2020 Alvorge Otium country House 12km
21 Jun 2020 Zambujal Casa das Raposas 15km
22 Jun 2020 Condeixa-a-Nova TownHouse Condeixinha 10km
23 Jun 2020 Rest day in Condeixa-a-Nova (to see the ruins)
24 Jun 2020 Coimbra Rua Alexandre Herculano 33 (A) 18km
25 Jun 2020 Rest day in Coimbra
26 Jun 2020 Rest day in Coimbra
27 Jun 2020 Train Coimbra to Vilela-Fornos - Start walking from there to Mealhada Hotel Oasis 17km
28 Jun 2020 Anadia Hotel Cabecinho 10km
29 Jun 2020 Agueda Alojamiento Local XPT 16km
30 Jun 2020 Albergaria-a-Velha Estalagem dos Padres 16km
1 Jul 2020 Pinheiro da Bemposta Moinho Garcia 14km
2 Jul 2020 Sao Joao da Madeira Central Suites 17km
3 Jul 2020 Santa Maria da Feira Hotel Feira Pedra Bela 10km
4 Jul 2020 Corveiros/Grijo Couto Rural 17km
5 Jul 2020 Porto Rua Conde de Vizela 68A (A) 14km
6 Jul 2020 Rest day in Porto
7 to 13 Jul 2020 Douro river cruise
14 Jul 2020 Matosinhos Casa do Godinho 13km
15 Jul 2020 Labruge Casa da Praia Guest House 13km
16 Jul 2020 Vila do Conde Casulo 11km
17 Jul 2020 Rest day in Vila do Conde
18 Jul 2020 Aguçadoura Aguçadoura Guest House 12km
19 Jul 2020 Esposende Esposende Guesthouse 13km
20 Jul 2020 Antas Antas AL, R. Barão de Maracaná 4 11km
21 Jul 2020 Viana do Castelo Rua da Bandeira 155, 2o andar (A) 15km
22 Jul 2020 Rest day in Viana do Castelo
23 Jul 2020 Vila Praia de Âncora Hotel Meira 19km
24 Jul 2020 A Guarda Hotel Vila da Guarda 13km
25 Jul 2020 Oia Casa Puertas 17km
26 Jul 2020 Baiona Casa Soto 15km
27 Jul 2020 Rest day in Baiona
28 Jul 2020 Oia (Vigo) Rúa de Canido, 125 (A) 15km
29 Jul 2020 Vigo Hotel Zenit Vigo 12km
30 Jul 2020 Redondela Adro Redondela, Rúa Adro 18 16km
31 Jul 2020 Pontevedra Rúa Conde de San Román 28 (A) 20km
1 Aug 2020 Rest day in Pontevedra
2 Aug 2020 Caldas de Reis Aires do Umia 22km (Use Correos Paq Mochila for Rachel's backpack)
3 Aug 2020 Padron Camino Pedreira 16 (A) 19km
4 Aug 2020 Rest day in Padron
5 Aug 2020 O Milladoiro Payro Hotel 17km
6 Aug 2020 Santiago de Compostela 8km

We're looking forward to this. We're leaving home just after Easter, flying to France, where we will walk part of the Voie d'Arles, then the Voie de la Nive. In SJPdP we will spend a week as volunteers at the Pilgrim's office (Accueil des Pèlerins). Then we will walk the Valcarlos route to Pamplona, and fly to Lisbon.

After our Caminho Português, we will walk the loop from SdC to Fisterra and Muxia and back to SdC.

Bom Caminho!

Wow is about the only word that comes to mine. You are a masterful planner, AJ. I know this can’t have been easy. Did you have to plot a lot of alternative walking routes to manage this? It will be a lot of fun to follow along (will you use the same web program as last time?), but even more fun to walk it.

You will be the forum trailblazer on some of this route, I think — particularly between Sintra and Fatima.

Bom caminho and muito obrigada, this is a tremendous resource for the forum.

Wow is about the only word that comes to mine. You are a masterful planner, AJ. I know this can’t have been easy. Did you have to plot a lot of alternative walking routes to manage this? It will be a lot of fun to follow along (will you use the same web program as last time?), but even more fun to walk it.

You will be the forum trailblazer on some of this route, I think — particularly between Sintra and Fatima.

Bom caminho and muito obrigada, this is a tremendous resource for the forum.

Thank you Laurie!

The part between Lisbon and Tomar was interesting to plan, as I took parts of the Caminho do Mar, and parts of the Trilho das Areias.
Once I got to Tomar, I followed the various available guides for the Portuguese, reading through this amazing forum.
I got 'stuck' in two places, trying to keep the stages short for Rachel, one being in Peniche, where I decided a bus to Obidos was the solution, and the other out of Coimbra, where a train to Vilela-Fornos helped get out of town.
Martin Flannery's map and Christian (@cj2003 )'s accommodation file were very helpful.
I'll be using Polarsteps again (mainly because my 88 year old mum loves following us on the map), but I've learned from our 2018, and I'll break the entire journey into manageable sections that don't take too long to load. I'll do my best to post on this forum too.

And yes, we reckon it will be fun walking this Caminho!
Thank you again for your suggestions along the way: you're a wealth of Camino knowledge!

Bom Caminho! Obrigado!

I don’t know if you want all my touristic suggestions, but I can’t resist! And maybe some other forum members will find them helpful. Starting from the beginning —

1. Praia das Maçcas
There is a cute little train from Sintra to Praia das Maças, but it doesn’t run too frequently. It does take a nice route down to the beach or up to Sintra from the beach.

2. Sintra
IMO, the mobs that now plague the Palacio da Pena have turned it into an exhausting and frustrating visit. Seeing the exterior and walking through the (nearly empty) gardens could be more relaxing. Sintra has a bunch of other very nice attractions — I especially like the Convento dos capuchos, a monastery whose tiny rooms are made of cork, and the Palacio Montserrate. The English language website has a lot of information on all the other places to see — click on the link over on the left for a dropdown that lists them all. But by far, for me anyway, the nicest part of Sintra is walking through the old Little town at night when all the tourist shops are closed and all the tourists are gone! If you have a sweet tooth, try the local pastry specialty, the travesseiro.

3. Seafood in Praia das Maças
I have eaten in lots of restaurants on the coast near Sintra, and though my favorite, Restaurante d'Adraga, is not on your route, (at least I don't think it is), there's a good substitute right in Praia das Maças, the Neptuno. But with all those kms on the ocean, you are going to have so many opportunities to eat what I think is the best meal in Portugal. Fresh grilled fish, a boiled vegetable like broccoli, carrots, or my favorite, couve (some kind of bitter greens, cooked in garlic, yum), and boiled potatoes. Until I went to Portugal I didn't know that there were "good potatoes" and "bad potatoes." There were just potatoes. But Portuguese potatoes are delicious and put US grocery store potatoes to shame.

4. Alcobaça
The monastery in Alcobaça is probabaly not as famous as the Monastery in Batalha, but I like it more. Less touristy, very nice visit.

5. Bemposta
Your place in Bemposta looks fabulous! I remember taking a little detour off caminho to go up to the small "old town" of Bemposta, and it is very pretty though nothing dramatically exceptional.

6. Sao Joao da Madeira
In Sao Joao da Madeira, in an old hat factory, there is now a Hat Museum. It is on the way out of town, so I didn´t see it till I was leaving. The statue outside is very evocative. I learned that when hatmaking was done by hand, it involved a lot of exposure to mercury, arsenic and other toxins. That's the origin of the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland, I was told (your silly trivia fact for the day).

7. Viana do Castelo
Great little main square, which you will of course see, lots of cafes and restaurants, church, but one place I never visited till recently was the Museu do Traje. I was there with a friend who love traditional clothing, fabrics, etc, and she insisted we go there. I was, frankly, surprised how much I like it. Viana do Castelo also is the home of the gold filigree jewelry The Heart of Viana I am not much of a jewelry person, and it is very elaborate and maybe not your style, but it is worn by women all over the Minho, very traditional.

No need to focus on the last part of the caminho from Valenca do Minho, but I thought that since you were going into more or less "uncharted territory", I would drop a few suggestions. It is just going to be an amazing trip for you and your wife, AJ. Congratulations on having done such a great planning job. Bom caminho, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don’t know if you want all my touristic suggestions, but I can’t resist! And maybe some other forum members will find them helpful. Starting from the beginning —

1. Praia das Maçcas
There is a cute little train from Sintra to Praia das Maças, but it doesn’t run too frequently. It does take a nice route down to the beach or up to Sintra from the beach.

2. Sintra
IMO, the mobs that now plague the Palacio da Pena have turned it into an exhausting and frustrating visit. Seeing the exterior and walking through the (nearly empty) gardens could be more relaxing. Sintra has a bunch of other very nice attractions — I especially like the Convento dos capuchos, a monastery whose tiny rooms are made of cork, and the Palacio Montserrate. The English language website has a lot of information on all the other places to see — click on the link over on the left for a dropdown that lists them all. But by far, for me anyway, the nicest part of Sintra is walking through the old Little town at night when all the tourist shops are closed and all the tourists are gone! If you have a sweet tooth, try the local pastry specialty, the travesseiro.

3. Seafood in Praia das Maças
I have eaten in lots of restaurants on the coast near Sintra, and though my favorite, Restaurante d'Adraga, is not on your route, (at least I don't think it is), there's a good substitute right in Praia das Maças, the Neptuno. But with all those kms on the ocean, you are going to have so many opportunities to eat what I think is the best meal in Portugal. Fresh grilled fish, a boiled vegetable like broccoli, carrots, or my favorite, couve (some kind of bitter greens, cooked in garlic, yum), and boiled potatoes. Until I went to Portugal I didn't know that there were "good potatoes" and "bad potatoes." There were just potatoes. But Portuguese potatoes are delicious and put US grocery store potatoes to shame.

4. Alcobaça
The monastery in Alcobaça is probabaly not as famous as the Monastery in Batalha, but I like it more. Less touristy, very nice visit.

5. Bemposta
Your place in Bemposta looks fabulous! I remember taking a little detour off caminho to go up to the small "old town" of Bemposta, and it is very pretty though nothing dramatically exceptional.

6. Sao Joao da Madeira
In Sao Joao da Madeira, in an old hat factory, there is now a Hat Museum. It is on the way out of town, so I didn´t see it till I was leaving. The statue outside is very evocative. I learned that when hatmaking was done by hand, it involved a lot of exposure to mercury, arsenic and other toxins. That's the origin of the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland, I was told (your silly trivia fact for the day).

7. Viana do Castelo
Great little main square, which you will of course see, lots of cafes and restaurants, church, but one place I never visited till recently was the Museu do Traje. I was there with a friend who love traditional clothing, fabrics, etc, and she insisted we go there. I was, frankly, surprised how much I like it. Viana do Castelo also is the home of the gold filigree jewelry The Heart of Viana I am not much of a jewelry person, and it is very elaborate and maybe not your style, but it is worn by women all over the Minho, very traditional.

No need to focus on the last part of the caminho from Valenca do Minho, but I thought that since you were going into more or less "uncharted territory", I would drop a few suggestions. It is just going to be an amazing trip for you and your wife, AJ. Congratulations on having done such a great planning job. Bom caminho, Laurie

Thanks a million for those suggestions, Laurie!
I had heard about the train from Sintra, and we are going to have the choice of either riding it, or walking down a path not far from its tracks.
I read that during the tourist season, it can be crowded, so we'll play it by ear.
Thank you again!
Bom Caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back