• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The countdown

Sanman

Walking for Nature
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy, Francis, Portugal, Norte, West Highland W,
Just wanted to share the excitement.
T-8 weeks until we arrive in Cluny - going to be a long trip getting there (Toronto-Montreal-Paris, Lyons then another train and a cab) to town, then a rest day, then it begins.
Although in our 60's my wife thought Le Puys wasn't long enough (she wants to break the 1,000km barrier), so we will soon be walking thru France via Cluny and Le Puys to SJPP.
We start mid April and finish early June almost 2 months in nature.
It will be a nice break from all the madness in the world - walking is one place where we all connect. As I'm fond of saying - no matter your age, race, religion, gender or income bracket, all are equal on the trail. We all have to walk from A to B and we all have to wash our underwear in the tub at the end of the day.
Anyway i ramble, in 8 weeks it begins, and i look forward to meeting fellow walkers on the hills, having a pint or sharing a baguette!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Le Puy route as far as Auvillar and loved it. I took one month in June which included 2 rest/tourist days. You should have a marvelous time, and yes, getting away from all the current madness will be a bonus!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Outstanding, please keep posting along the way. I'm in my sixties as well. I've talked to some people who have done the Le Puy, it looks amazing and a serious challenge. I see you have done Hadrians and the West Highland, both on my wish list. I'm going to string three camino routes together this fall but I think after that I'm going to be doing more trails outside of Spain (Hadrians, Annapurna, Le Puy, Inca Trail etc) it's a big world to see. Best of luck on your journey.

Last edited:
Thx FSP - so true, a big world that gets small on the trail!
My wife and I plan to walk as many of the big trails as we can while we can!
Best of luck on your walks and thx for the kind note

If you really want to extend start in Le Puy and go all the way to Santiago. If you choose to pick up the CF, the walk up to Roncesvallas the walk up the hill out of SJPP will be a piece of cake. When I walked from Le Puy after I turned 60 I couldn't believe how easy the hill was. I was completely wiped out 2 years earlier when I started in SJPP. Since you walked the CF before you may want to walk the Camino Norte. It is really hilly and more difficult than the CF but it is really beautiful and great food. Again after walking from Le Puy you will be in great shape to tackle the Norte.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi IT56ny
I feel you, but i think Cluny to Le Puys will be enough on this trip, 2 months and some where around 1100-1200 km.
BUT we are thinking of Norte - heard all sorts of mixed reviews - hilly but lots and lots of pavement. Portugues Camino had lots but the ocean made up for it - what are your thoughts on the pavement and how bad is it compared to the rural rustic fields of France?

Just wanted to share the excitement.
T-8 weeks until we arrive in Cluny - going to be a long trip getting there (Toronto-Montreal-Paris, Lyons then another train and a cab) to town, then a rest day, then it begins.
Although in our 60's my wife thought Le Puys wasn't long enough (she wants to break the 1,000km barrier), so we will soon be walking thru France via Cluny and Le Puys to SJPP.
We start mid April and finish early June almost 2 months in nature.
It will be a nice break from all the madness in the world - walking is one place where we all connect. As I'm fond of saying - no matter your age, race, religion, gender or income bracket, all are equal on the trail. We all have to walk from A to B and we all have to wash our underwear in the tub at the end of the day.
Anyway i ramble, in 8 weeks it begins, and i look forward to meeting fellow walkers on the hills, having a pint or sharing a baguette!
Hello from Newcastle Australia , turned 75 a few days out for Le Puy and continued my walk this time 360 k's to Cahors ...certainly tough over those mountains due to me carrying my pack of 9 kgs . I found most walkers were transporting packs at €10 per pack and obviously that made there walk a lot easier but expensive . French hospitality along the way was inspiring and impressive and taught me valuable lessons . Can I by you a coffee another day I lost my cap and mentioned this in a cafe when a patron came over and in broken english gave me his Tour de France cap and said please take this.....Buen Camino .

Hi IT56ny
I feel you, but i think Cluny to Le Puys will be enough on this trip, 2 months and some where around 1100-1200 km.

Cluny to Le Puy is around 200 km. Unless this is some other Cluny.

edit: Or do you mean Cluny to Le Puy to St Jean Pied-de-Port? That would make the total around 900 km.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cluny to Le Puy is around 200 km. Unless this is some other Cluny.

edit: Or do you mean Cluny to Le Puy to St Jean Pied-de-Port? That would make the total around 900 km.

Just looking at my itinerary - Cluny to Le Puys = 322km
Le Puy to SJPP = 751
So close to 1100...by my math

And if i add up my walking route day by day it's about 1163...so who knows? but pretty certain it's not 900 unless you're straight lining it in a car

Of course on all my walks it was impossible to get the exact distance even CF seems to be 730 to 800km

JUst happy to be walking

Hello from Newcastle Australia , turned 75 a few days out for Le Puy and continued my walk this time 360 k's to Cahors ...certainly tough over those mountains due to me carrying my pack of 9 kgs . I found most walkers were transporting packs at €10 per pack and obviously that made there walk a lot easier but expensive . French hospitality along the way was inspiring and impressive and taught me valuable lessons . Can I by you a coffee another day I lost my cap and mentioned this in a cafe when a patron came over and in broken english gave me his Tour de France cap and said please take this.....Buen Camino .

Fantastic - looking forward to the farms, forests and French hospitality!
And turned 75 - fantastic Garry!
You are an inspiration!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just looking at my itinerary - Cluny to Le Puys = 322km
Le Puy to SJPP = 751
So close to 1100...by my math

And if i add up my walking route day by day it's about 1163...so who knows? but pretty certain it's not 900 unless you're straight lining it in a car

Of course on all my walks it was impossible to get the exact distance even CF seems to be 730 to 800km

JUst happy to be walking
Hi Sandman,I walked from Cluny to Le Puy en Velay in 2018.I used the Orange guide
which is produced by the Association Rhone -Alpes des Amis de St Jacques .The guide is based on local knowledge as the members of this association live on this route.The guide states that the distance from Cluny to Le Puy en Velay is 267 Kms and my pilgrim credential verifies this.I then continued on to St Jean Pied de Port which is about another 800 Kms.Bon Chemin.

Hi Sandman,I walked from Cluny to Le Puy en Velay in 2018.I used the Orange guide
which is produced by the Association Rhone -Alpes des Amis de St Jacques .The guide is based on local knowledge as the members of this association live on this route.The guide states that the distance from Cluny to Le Puy en Velay is 267 Kms and my pilgrim credential verifies this.I then continued on to St Jean Pied de Port which is about another 800 Kms.Bon Chemin.
Correction Le Puy to St Jean 755 kms.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Correction Le Puy to St Jean 755 kms.

There are two major and regularly used variations that would increase that.

Plus many divergences to significant items of interest would also increase that.

So the 1 000 plus km target is still attainable.

However, @Mournes , if you would care to pay my actual and reasonable costs to act as a referee or vigilator while the 1 000+ quest is underway I will report directly to you on the outcome.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

I have been doing a number of short YouTube Videos specifically for Seniors and First Time Walkers of the Camino

Practical information to make it anyone's walk successful

Here's the latest but I have dome 7-8 with more to come

Enjoy!

Hi IT56ny
BUT we are thinking of Norte - heard all sorts of mixed reviews - hilly but lots and lots of pavement. Portugues Camino had lots but the ocean made up for it - what are your thoughts on the pavement and how bad is it compared to the rural rustic fields of France?
It is a tough call to say which has more hills and how much tougher one is compared to the other. I would say if you pressed me that early Le Puy may be tougher. It is so subjective and it has been 6 years since I walked Le Puy. I would also say that if you are good with GPS apps and do some research here and I am sure in some other places there are many variants on the Norte that can keep you off some of that road walking and keep you closer to the plateaus above the beaches. I am not very good with them but I did meet a few pilgrims from time to time that I was able to walk with who navigated the path for us. Both are just wonderful ways to go.

We walked the Norte (and the Voie du Puy) in 2018, and information provided by @peregrina2000 was invaluable in keeping us off road walking.
The info was posted here:
I never even thought of checking here before I went. I was lucky to meet pilgrims that knew of the variants. After I returned I saw Laurie and other’s posts about the Norte. Glad you made good use of them.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back