• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The credential...

SWi

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Hello fellow-members, I am planning to walk the Variante Espiritual again. Last year I didn't go for a credential. It made me wonder if it gives a problem in getting the credential, since the Variante is part of the last 100 k. to Santiago, and as far as I know not recognized as an official Way (yet). Would you have experience, advice or news around this? Thank you very much for a reply. Best regards, Simon

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are you perhaps confusing "credencial" and "Compostela"? The credencial or 'pilgrim passport' is necessary if you wish to use albergues during your walk. You will also have to show it with an appropriate number of stamps ("sellos") at the pilgrim office in Santiago if you want to receive a Compostela - the certificate given to those who have walked at least the final 100km into Santiago. You can obtain a credencial in many places. Your route to Santiago can be along one of the waymarked Caminos or any other way you choose. There is no need to follow any "official" path.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you perhaps confusing "credencial" and "Compostela"? The credencial or 'pilgrim passport' is necessary if you wish to use albergues during your walk. You will also have to show it with an appropriate number of stamps ("sellos") at the pilgrim office in Santiago if you want to receive a Compostela - the certificate given to those who have walked at least the final 100km into Santiago. You can obtain a credencial in many places. Your route to Santiago can be along one of the waymarked Caminos or any other way you choose. There is no need to follow any "official" path.
Oeps yes Bradypus, you are right...(it's really years ago I went to get the compostela..) so.. the question is indeed: if you walk 100 k towards Santiago including the Espiritual, where you collect your sellos indeed, will this be counted to get your credential, since it is not an officially recognized walk like the Frances, or recently the Finistere walk. Watching other threads - thanks @Theatregal ! - I trust that there will be a compostela at the end after having walked Porto-Variante + boat-Padron-Santiago.. And thanks for your reply @Bradypus .

Last edited:
Oeps yes Bradypus, you are right...(it's really years ago I went to get the compostela..) so.. the question is indeed: if you walk 100 k towards Santiago including the Espiritual, where you collect your sellos indeed, will this be counted to get your credential, since it is not an officially recognized walk like the Frances, or recently the Finistere walk. Watching other threads - thanks @Theatregal ! - I trust that there will be a compostela at the end after having walked Porto-Variante + boat-Padron-Santiago.. And thanks for your reply @Bradypus .
I walked the Variante Espiritual in 2015 and got my Compostela certificate at the end in Santiago.
No problem.

Hello Simon,

I walked the route you are planning this May and did NOT qualify for a Compostela. But others apparently have. It seems to depend on how lucky you get at the Pilgrims' Office.

This being said, at the end of the Variante you have two choices: the boat OR a longer route by foot.

So, if you wantto be absolutely sure you will het the Compostela, walking is the only way to do it.

As to the idea that one may not earn a Compostela because they have walked an "unofficial route", what Bradypus was explaining is that you do not have to walked one of the many marked routes, but you can walk from anywhere, to Santiago, documenting you walked at least the last 100km into Santiago, no matter which way/path/route you may have taken. The problem will be for the Pilgrims' Office people to determine that you have in fact walked at least the last 100km into Santiago since they are most likely to know distance from point A to point B of non marked routes.

But don't worry, the Variante is marked, with arrows and even mojones, if memory serves me right.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the link I posted above, JohnnieWalker provides clarification from the Pilgrim's Office.

Quote: "The discussion has helped clarify one central point regarding this Variant and the Compostela - previously the Pilgrims Office required pilgrims to walk 100 kms continuously to Santiago. They have now clarified that this variant is an exception and that pilgrims who use a boat for some of it will still qualify if they started in Vigo or Porinno and therefore overall will have walked more than 100 kms to Santiago"

Simon mentions above that he is planning to walk from Porto through to the Variante which will take him through Vigo. I walked this route in the summer of 2015 and there was no problem obtaining the Compostela.

Theatergal, I walked May 2016 and it was a problem. So clearly staff is not well trained on the matter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Theatergal, I walked May 2016 and it was a problem. So clearly staff is not well trained on the matter.
Happened many times in Officina I'd say. Depends how Camino-wise "educated" are volunteers I guess. In 2014 when I walked Madrid+CF+Invierno+Sanabres a girl and a boy in Officina didn't know anything about Madrid and Invierno. I was collecting Compostela in the name of another person (terminally ill) and after explaining everything there was no problem issuing the Compostela.

Happened many times in Officina I'd say. Depends how Camino-wise "educated" are volunteers I guess. In 2014 when I walked Madrid+CF+Invierno+Sanabres a girl and a boy in Officina didn't know anything about Madrid and Invierno.
Makes one wonder what these volunteers' motivation to work at the Pilgrims' Office is. One would think they would at least know that these routes exist, if not want to walk a few. Time to create a little "Volunteer's Guide to handing out Compostelas"? ;0)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks all of you for the advices. I am confident now it will work out all right.
I just walked the variante espiritual in September (2016), including taking the boat to Padron, and was given the compostela with no problems or even questions. The word at the hostel in Vilanova was that the land route is all along the highway and not pleasant. The boat was mystical and wonderful. We had the good fortune to be leaving on a foggy morning, and to see the ancient crosses that have been erected over the centuries appear through the mist as we approached (there are 39) was a very moving experience.

Thanks @KariC and @MendiWalker for your advice and replys. I will walk with some people that will get their first compostella...so..needed to be sure about this! Well, I'm curious about boats and crosses!

Simon, I walked from Porto, including the Variante (with the boat) in July. I highly recommend it - best part of the Camino in my opinion. Absolutely no issues with the Compostela for anyone, and there were 9 of us checking in with different attendants in the office.
When you approach Pontevedra, if you can push on a few more KM past the albergue to the center of the old town, I suggest you do so, and stay there. Pontevedra is a charming little city and if you stay on the outskirts at the albergue, and leave early in the following morning, you will miss all that it offers. Push through and enjoy the evening in one of the many little plazas.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll only add that a boat is one of the traditional means of locomotion on the Camino -- there was even a Mediterranean "boat Camino" in mediaeval times leading towards the Voie d'Arles, stopping at various particular locations for its stages (ports with famous Churches, an island Monastery, etc), leading to Saintes Maries-lès-Mer, then up from there to Saint Gilles.

Thanks @KariC and @MendiWalker for your advice and replys. I will walk with some people that will get their first compostella...so..needed to be sure about this! Well, I'm curious about boats and crosses!
wij liepen de variante Espiritual in 2015. -we walked the Variante Espiritual in 2015. Got our Compostela in Santiago. No problem.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Simon, I walked from Porto, including the Variante (with the boat) in July. I highly recommend it - best part of the Camino in my opinion. Absolutely no issues with the Compostela for anyone, and there were 9 of us checking in with different attendants in the office.
When you approach Pontevedra, if you can push on a few more KM past the albergue to the center of the old town, I suggest you do so, and stay there. Pontevedra is a charming little city and if you stay on the outskirts at the albergue, and leave early in the following morning, you will miss all that it offers. Push through and enjoy the evening in one of the many little plazas.
Thank you for your reply, @Cmeckley it'll work out!

I'll only add that a boat is one of the traditional means of locomotion on the Camino -- there was even a Mediterranean "boat Camino" in mediaeval times leading towards the Voie d'Arles, stopping at various particular locations for its stages (ports with famous Churches, an island Monastery, etc), leading to Saintes Maries-lès-Mer, then up from there to Saint Gilles.
Thank you @JabbaPapa for the reply. A tradition continued then..

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back