A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

The Crepes Lady of Fonfria

rappahannock_rev

Anglican Catholic Priest
Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes, Burgos, SdeC 77 (train); Frances 12,15,17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes, Aragones 18; Meseta 19
Passed through Fonfria in Galicia late in September. Had heard of the "Crepes Lady" and was eager to meet her. But did not...!

Is she still there? Are others enjoying an encounter that I missed?

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
October 2012 Camino Francés Sarria /Santiago.
November 2013 Camino Francés
León to Sarria
June 2014 Camino Francés San Juan Pie de Port to Logroño.
November 2016 Camino Frances ,Logroño to León.
Yes that's the truth !
First creeps an them the money!

Camino(s) past & future
2012 Dieppe, FR Bici CF.
2014 Ruta Vasco/CF/Primativo
Passed through Fonfria in Galicia late in September. Had heard of the "Crepes Lady" and was eager to meet her. But did not...!

I met the crepes lady. She was very sweet. She gave me a crepe and then put out her hand for a "donativo". I laughed at her chutzpah and dug through my fanny pack for what little cash I carried on me and gave her some change.

Camino(s) past & future
Walked Chemin Piemont to Pamplona 2010/2012.Pamplona to Santiago 2013/2015
No one was stopping for her, including me, when we passed but they were queueing for a wax sello at two euros a chuck not far away. I doubt that the old lady will make enough for a luxurious retirement but if she does, good luck to her.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
As I recall, Fonfria is a tiny little village with a 'front' road and a 'back' road. The crepe lady appeared before us as we were leaving the village on the 'back' road.

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
She was there when I passed through last month and we had a good conversation and I had a crepe.

Mike

DurhamParish

Un Cerveza, Por Favor
Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portuguese 2012 & 2018
Camino Frances 2014, 2015, 2015, 2017, 2018
Not quite sure if I saw her. I'd not heard of the "Crepe Lady" before this thread. But I guess I did see her (not quite sure where Fomfria is) as I passed through a little village this past June.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese.
She was certainly not offering crepes the day we were in Fonfria. Which may have been because of the freezing wind and rain.

fraluchi

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
One every year since 2007
Having stayed at Fonfria albergue several times, and passed the village other times, I've never seen anyone selling crêpes (pancakes) in the village. Must have been the wrong time at the wrong spot:(

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés (1994)
Camino Francés (2013 - 2017)
Camino Portugués (2015 - 2017)

she's there, saw her in may, june and september.
she might have been vacationing with the proceeds from her crepes if you did not see her :)

Some of this discussion about the crepe lady has reminded me of a meal I had on the Vdlp. We were in Aljucén and the choices of dining options were rather limited. A group of us had "made a reservation" at one of two local bars, whose proprietress promised us a delicious meal. Well, not exactly. Overpriced, overcooked, bad wine, stale bread. Two Basque businessmen were grousing, a couple of Germans were indignant, and the Australian and I were making wisecracks about how we were being taken advantage of. But then a sevillano put it all in perspective, when he said -- pero hombre, ¿de qué va a vivir si no es de nosotros? (what is she going to live off of if not us?). I've recalled that conversation many times over the years, kind of put me in my place.

DurhamParish

Un Cerveza, Por Favor
Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portuguese 2012 & 2018
Camino Frances 2014, 2015, 2015, 2017, 2018
Some of this discussion about the crepe lady has reminded me of a meal I had on the Vdlp. We were in Aljucén and the choices of dining options were rather limited. A group of us had "made a reservation" at one of two local bars, whose proprietress promised us a delicious meal. Well, not exactly. Overpriced, overcooked, bad wine, stale bread. Two Basque businessmen were grousing, a couple of Germans were indignant, and the Australian and I were making wisecracks about how we were being taken advantage of. But then a sevillano put it all in perspective, when he said -- pero hombre, ¿de qué va a vivir si no es de nosotros? (what is she going to live off of if not us?). I've recalled that conversation many times over the years, kind of put me in my place.
Amen!!!!

Somehow a "Like" just didn't seem enough.

S

simply B

The reason some may have missed her is that she also had some cows to tend. Saw her in 2012, not in 2014 though I did hear of her from others that passed through later in the day.

She is most certainly "real ".

The lady we say was a tiny, little soul - she couldn't have been more than 4 ft. 6.
Yep - a little bigger than a garden gnome but with a giant's chutzpah, good sales skills...and crepes.

B

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances [May 2012]
VDLP (September 2015)
I bought a crepe from her in May 2012. Was inedible to say the least! Threw it over the wall like a flying saucer - hopefully the birds appreciated it. Bless her, her heart is in the right place. She refuses to have her photo taken!

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
She is still there selling her crepes, even in the rain!!

Camino(s) past & future
Francés / Arragonés / VIa Jacobi / Jakobsweg
I came across this site because I searched for the pan cake woman, whom I encountered in July 2012. I'm astonished there is no foto of her anywhere...

So I searched my extensive Camino Library and came across a foto of her in "5 1/2 Wochen" by Birgit Kürten (Mai 2008).

Here it is:

Oh yes: I donativoed half a Euro and I think she tried to scratch my eyes out...

She is quite the institution on the Camino, like Dona Maria (daughter of Dona Felisa) / before Logrono, Tomás in Manjarín, Marcelino, Jesus of Villacfranca del Bierzo, ...

Last edited:
A

Anemone del Camino

Funny how people don't think twice about grabbing a handful of grapes, or a fog or 2, when owner is not there, but when someone is out selling we fill obliged to pay. I do not recall this woman but do many others putting a sign out asking for "on honour" donations for stuff, including to finance their new cottage venture. Those drive me nuts, and encourage me to giv to those not there and who are wiling to risk not making a dime.

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
I seem to recall a post a short while back concerning this Camino Stalwart - the news was that she had either died or retired and her daughter had taken over the duties. Anyone been there in recent weeks who can expand upon this news?? (Another item to add to my Camino "bucket list"). Cheers

Wotever

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012) Portugues (2013)£
I thought I was the only one involved in this bait and switch! The ingenuity of her sales technique made me laugh.

A few steps further the small bar on the left won my award for best tasting tortilla de patata on the Camino Frances.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés / Arragonés / VIa Jacobi / Jakobsweg
When I rightly remember, she asked about the antionality and then answered with "pancake" in your language...
Nice touch.
And I take my hat off for the courage and patience standing there year in and out, rain and shine.
The village consisted of one through "road", splattered in cow shite... No sin trying to siphon a few cents off the almost always better off peregrinos.

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo
Not just “a few cents”. Three years ago (Nov 2013) I gave her one euro for two thin crepes with a teeny weeny sprinkling of sugar, but she wasn’t having any of it, and wanted another euro from my companion. And the big German Shepherd dog, standing next to her, looked like he was making sure we weren’t going to do a runner. She wasn’t there in the summer of 2014 when I walked through, nor Nov 2015. Jill

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
She was certainly not offering crepes the day we were in Fonfria. Which may have been because of the freezing wind and rain.
....and when I passed through that day, it was FREEZING and snowy....She did not come out.

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
This is an old thread, and the reports are mixed on whether she is still there. While her persistent entreaty irritates many, at least she is old guard, offering something in her search for a livelihood. :)

Camino(s) past & future
None
She gave me a crepe on October 10, 2018. It was an excellent crepe, although cold and without sugar (and I have been making my own crepes for 40 years, so I know good crepes!). She was very old and tiny and - yes, insistent about her donativo. I was delighted to give her a euro.

Stephen

Camino(s) past & future
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
She's an old woman, tiny and thin. She was there in late October this year.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%