• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Crepes Lady of Fonfria

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
Passed through Fonfria in Galicia late in September. Had heard of the "Crepes Lady" and was eager to meet her. But did not...!

Is she still there? Are others enjoying an encounter that I missed?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes that's the truth !
First creeps an them the money!

Passed through Fonfria in Galicia late in September. Had heard of the "Crepes Lady" and was eager to meet her. But did not...!

I met the crepes lady. She was very sweet. She gave me a crepe and then put out her hand for a "donativo". I laughed at her chutzpah and dug through my fanny pack for what little cash I carried on me and gave her some change.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
No one was stopping for her, including me, when we passed but they were queueing for a wax sello at two euros a chuck not far away. I doubt that the old lady will make enough for a luxurious retirement but if she does, good luck to her.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As I recall, Fonfria is a tiny little village with a 'front' road and a 'back' road. The crepe lady appeared before us as we were leaving the village on the 'back' road.

She was there when I passed through last month and we had a good conversation and I had a crepe.

Mike

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not quite sure if I saw her. I'd not heard of the "Crepe Lady" before this thread. But I guess I did see her (not quite sure where Fomfria is) as I passed through a little village this past June.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought a crepe from her in late July 2013.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
She was certainly not offering crepes the day we were in Fonfria. Which may have been because of the freezing wind and rain.

Actually the crepes are not edible, especially with all the sugar she pours over them. Its the way she offers them that does the trick. If there's a next time I would buy the crepes again, just be wiser not to eat them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having stayed at Fonfria albergue several times, and passed the village other times, I've never seen anyone selling crêpes (pancakes) in the village. Must have been the wrong time at the wrong spot:(

she's there, saw her in may, june and september.
she might have been vacationing with the proceeds from her crepes if you did not see her :)

Some of this discussion about the crepe lady has reminded me of a meal I had on the Vdlp. We were in Aljucén and the choices of dining options were rather limited. A group of us had "made a reservation" at one of two local bars, whose proprietress promised us a delicious meal. Well, not exactly. Overpriced, overcooked, bad wine, stale bread. Two Basque businessmen were grousing, a couple of Germans were indignant, and the Australian and I were making wisecracks about how we were being taken advantage of. But then a sevillano put it all in perspective, when he said -- pero hombre, ¿de qué va a vivir si no es de nosotros? (what is she going to live off of if not us?). I've recalled that conversation many times over the years, kind of put me in my place.

Some of this discussion about the crepe lady has reminded me of a meal I had on the Vdlp. We were in Aljucén and the choices of dining options were rather limited. A group of us had "made a reservation" at one of two local bars, whose proprietress promised us a delicious meal. Well, not exactly. Overpriced, overcooked, bad wine, stale bread. Two Basque businessmen were grousing, a couple of Germans were indignant, and the Australian and I were making wisecracks about how we were being taken advantage of. But then a sevillano put it all in perspective, when he said -- pero hombre, ¿de qué va a vivir si no es de nosotros? (what is she going to live off of if not us?). I've recalled that conversation many times over the years, kind of put me in my place.

Amen!!!!

Somehow a "Like" just didn't seem enough.

The reason some may have missed her is that she also had some cows to tend. Saw her in 2012, not in 2014 though I did hear of her from others that passed through later in the day.

She is most certainly "real ".

The lady we say was a tiny, little soul - she couldn't have been more than 4 ft. 6.

Yep - a little bigger than a garden gnome but with a giant's chutzpah, good sales skills...and crepes.

B

€149,-
I bought a crepe from her in May 2012. Was inedible to say the least! Threw it over the wall like a flying saucer - hopefully the birds appreciated it. Bless her, her heart is in the right place. She refuses to have her photo taken!

She is still there selling her crepes, even in the rain!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I came across this site because I searched for the pan cake woman, whom I encountered in July 2012. I'm astonished there is no foto of her anywhere...

So I searched my extensive Camino Library and came across a foto of her in "5 1/2 Wochen" by Birgit Kürten (Mai 2008).

Here it is:

30418127194_695994a7ee_z.jpg

Oh yes: I donativoed half a Euro and I think she tried to scratch my eyes out...

She is quite the institution on the Camino, like Dona Maria (daughter of Dona Felisa) / before Logrono, Tomás in Manjarín, Marcelino, Jesus of Villacfranca del Bierzo, ...

Last edited:
Funny how people don't think twice about grabbing a handful of grapes, or a fog or 2, when owner is not there, but when someone is out selling we fill obliged to pay. I do not recall this woman but do many others putting a sign out asking for "on honour" donations for stuff, including to finance their new cottage venture. Those drive me nuts, and encourage me to giv to those not there and who are wiling to risk not making a dime.

I have had her crepes ,still warm. She asked if I wanted sugar and delicious to eat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I seem to recall a post a short while back concerning this Camino Stalwart - the news was that she had either died or retired and her daughter had taken over the duties. Anyone been there in recent weeks who can expand upon this news?? (Another item to add to my Camino "bucket list"). Cheers

Not so when I walked past in May. Very discouraging sign.

I thought I was the only one involved in this bait and switch! The ingenuity of her sales technique made me laugh.

A few steps further the small bar on the left won my award for best tasting tortilla de patata on the Camino Frances.

When I rightly remember, she asked about the antionality and then answered with "pancake" in your language...
Nice touch.
And I take my hat off for the courage and patience standing there year in and out, rain and shine.
The village consisted of one through "road", splattered in cow shite... No sin trying to siphon a few cents off the almost always better off peregrinos.

Not just “a few cents”. Three years ago (Nov 2013) I gave her one euro for two thin crepes with a teeny weeny sprinkling of sugar, but she wasn’t having any of it, and wanted another euro from my companion. And the big German Shepherd dog, standing next to her, looked like he was making sure we weren’t going to do a runner. She wasn’t there in the summer of 2014 when I walked through, nor Nov 2015. Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
She was certainly not offering crepes the day we were in Fonfria. Which may have been because of the freezing wind and rain.
....and when I passed through that day, it was FREEZING and snowy....She did not come out.

This is an old thread, and the reports are mixed on whether she is still there. While her persistent entreaty irritates many, at least she is old guard, offering something in her search for a livelihood. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
She gave me a crepe on October 10, 2018. It was an excellent crepe, although cold and without sugar (and I have been making my own crepes for 40 years, so I know good crepes!). She was very old and tiny and - yes, insistent about her donativo. I was delighted to give her a euro.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
She's an old woman, tiny and thin. She was there in late October this year.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back