• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Crown Jewel in my Camino - Reading at the Pilgrim Mass

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When it happened to me, ELH, I felt so blessed.
I'm an elder in the Anglican church in England, but to be asked as I walked into the Pilgrim Mass was .... something wonderful.
It completed my camino perfectly!
Blessings, my camino friend, from England .....

I'm an elder in the Anglican church in England, but to be asked as I walked into the Pilgrim Mass was .... something wonderful.
Actually, when I did the Camino two years ago, I started asking to read in the various stops along the way. I read 16 times and was beyond thrilled. My goal this time was to beat that number, and beat it I did. I read 47 times, with all but one being recorded.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Congratulations, what an honour.

Once in Rabanal was I asked to assist at Vespers; imagine my surprise 17/11/2011 when entering that small Romanesque sanctuary to be greeted by cozy heat as well as the Abbot of the adjacent monastery who smiled as he directly asked "Do you speak English?". When I nodded he then handed me a selection on St Elisabeth and love to read aloud during the service. After briefly scanning the passage,
I went "live" in front of the assembled other pilgrims and parish members. After the service we all filed out into the frosty night.

...Next morning cold fog swirled white and dense throughout the village. The local bread delivery truck was parked where the camino continues westward. Dressed in "civies" the Abbot was buying two huge loaves for his monastery. As we nodded to each other I thanked him for the past evening's service; he wished me a spiritual Buen Camino and then disappeared into the white. After these brief encounters each of us would follow his own path alone into the fog blanketed unknown.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In O'Cebreiro back in 2015, pilgrims were asked to read in several languages and I got to do the English reading. A wonderfully spiritual experience.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Actually, when I did the Camino two years ago, I started asking to read in the various stops along the way. I read 16 times and was beyond thrilled. My goal this time was to beat that number, and beat it I did. I read 47 times, with all but one being recorded.

Hola ELH - congratulations on this honour/achievement. May I ask did you read in English/Spanish or your native tongue (if different). Also did you volunteer or where you selected?? Thanks in advance. Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I read in Spanish (retired Spanish teacher). As mentioned above I went to the churches along the way, showed up early for Mass and asked to read. In Santiago I talked to a nun in the sacristy earlier in the day and, as luck would have it, no one was scheduled so I got the ok.

Once in Rabanal was I asked to assist at Vespers; imagine my surprise 17/11/2011 when entering that small Romanesque sanctuary to be greeted by cozy heat as well as the Abbot of the adjacent monastery who smiled as he directly asked "Do you speak English?". When I nodded he then handed me a selection on St Elisabeth and love to read aloud during the service. After briefly scanning the passage,
I went "live" in front of the assembled other pilgrims and parish members. After the service we all filed out into the frosty night.

...Next morning cold fog swirled white and dense throughout the village. The local bread delivery truck was parked where the camino continues westward. Dressed in "civies" the Abbot was buying two huge loaves for his monastery. As we nodded to each other I thanked him for the past evening's service; he wished me a spiritual Buen Camino and then disappeared into the white. After these brief encounters each of us would follow his own path alone into the fog blanketed unknown.

I, too, was asked to read at Rabanal. When the monk found out I was Canadian, he immediately handed me a French text. Owing to the large Québec pilgrim population, the Camino is the one place where Canadian anglophones are the minority. As I worked in French much of the time (at the time, I was a federal public servant), with focus I could handle the task, and did so well enough that the only comment from two Québec pilgrims was that they thought I was Belgian.

There is something quite special about reading in a place which had been used for worship for hundreds of years.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back