• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The daily routine

S

Sojourner47

OK guys, I know this has been discussed ad infinitum already, but for the sake of the newbies, it might repay another thread. And I'd be interested to hear other's comments, as I'm sure I will... :)
So, the daily round on camino - or mine, rather...
Awake at ?5am, to the sound of the early bag rustling and torch shining *****s, (despite wearing earplugs)
Arise a bit later, dress (though slept mostly dressed anyway), pack my (very few) bits and pieces, then head off on the path; my breakfast usually some biscuits and milk,bought the evening before.
Walk for upto 7 or 8 hours, with cafes con leche at every available opportunity.
Book in at albergue for night, pay money, credencial stamped.
Locate bed,preferably bottom bunk, in corner,next to wall, as far away from everyone else as possible.
haha, no chance.
Lay out sleeping bag or liner, hide rest of stuff in it, get showered, change clothes. (naturally, taking all valuables with me)
Wash today's underwear and socks, and hopefully find a space on the line in the hot sun. lol
Walking shoes back on (sandals worn inside), then head out to see what this place has to offer in the way of 1.a large beer/vino tinto. 2. Pilgrim menu/menu del dia. 3. cultural experiences.
Others will of course have different priorities.
Wander back "home", fall into bed at about 9pm at latest.
Repeat as often as necessary. :)
I'm off again in 3 weeks - bring it on!! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did you leave your stuff (except your valuables of course) in the albergue when you went into town to eat and have a look around in the afternoon? If yes, is it safe or did you do anything to make sure it's gonna be all right?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
you do not leave your valuables unattended when you go out. buy a small foldable shoulder bag or a small foldable bag to store your valuables and take it with you - tablets, cell phones, cameras, etc.

never, never leave your valuables in the albergue.

buen camino.

eszterem1 said:
Did you leave your stuff (except your valuables of course) in the albergue when you went into town to eat and have a look around in the afternoon? If yes, is it safe or did you do anything to make sure it's gonna be all right?
As has been said many times on the forum, take your valuables with you EVERYWHERE, including when you shower/toilet/whatever. Cash and cards in money belt or under your clothes in a neck pouch.
And do not flash your cash or posh camera/phone in public. And, take your cash and passport to bed with you, literally. Better too much precaution than not enough.
The rest of your stuff will probably be OK left at the albegue in your pack - no-one really wants your old clothes etc.... :)

Sojourner47 said:
So, the daily round on camino - or mine, rather...
Awake at ?5am, to the sound of the early bag rustling and torch shining *****s, (despite wearing earplugs)
Arise a bit later, dress (though slept mostly dressed anyway), pack my (very few) bits and pieces, then head off on the path; my breakfast usually some biscuits and milk,bought the evening before.
Walk for upto 7 or 8 hours, with cafes con leche at every available opportunity.
Book in at albergue for night, pay money, credencial stamped.
Locate bed,preferably bottom bunk, in corner,next to wall, as far away from everyone else as possible.
haha, no chance.
Lay out sleeping bag or liner, hide rest of stuff in it, get showered, change clothes. (naturally, taking all valuables with me)
Wash today's underwear and socks, and hopefully find a space on the line in the hot sun. lol
Walking shoes back on (sandals worn inside), then head out to see what this place has to offer in the way of 1.a large beer/vino tinto. 2. Pilgrim menu/menu del dia. 3. cultural experiences.
Others will of course have different priorities.
Wander back "home", fall into bed at about 9pm at latest.
Repeat as often as necessary. :)
I'm off again in 3 weeks - bring it on!! :D

Mine is pretty much the same, but I do make sure that I have an alternative to wear in the evenings instead of my "Camino shoes", they fly off my feet the moment I put the rucksack down in an albergue ;-) I also try to go to mass, if there is one in the village. Buen Camino! SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's pretty much my schedule except I only walk 4-6 hours and I don't drink all those coffees! I made the mistake of having two coffees this morning and had to do a pee stop four times between Viana and Logrono. :shock: Not an easy task with rain pants, poncho and backpack on. I was afraid I would fall over like a turtle on my back and not be able to get up!. :oops: :lol:

SYates said:
Mine is pretty much the same, but I do make sure that I have an alternative to wear in the evenings instead of my "Camino shoes", they fly off my feet the moment I put the rucksack down in an albergue ;-) I also try to go to mass, if there is one in the village. Buen Camino! SY
Yep, I do change into light foam sandals as soon as I arrive... :D

Ditto the routine, except I sleep in shorts which I do not walk in the next day which have zippered pockets for my passport and money. I limit my walk each day to 6 or 7 hours and I make a point of taking in the sights in the town, lighting a candle and then a late lunch and a beer/vino or two before a late afternoon nap. I hit the road as soon as the sun is rising as not to be awarded by everyone for being the loudest one snoring overnight. It's lousy reputation that follows me from albergue to albergue. :lol:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
biarritzdon said:
being the loudest one snoring overnight. It's lousy reputation that follows me from albergue to albergue. :lol:

Don, sometimes being a snorer has its advantages, at one Alburgue soon after Pamplona the owner overheard me warn a fellow pilgrim of my potential to snore, he moved me to a six bed snoring room. I was the only one in that room for that night, I later heard that the main dorm of about 40 beds was unbearable due to other snorers.

I had considered providing earplugs to fellow pilgrims near to where I sleep, but the budget is not big enough.

Frank

My routine followed that of the first poster, except I was usually the last to awaken. Even with ear plugs the snoring would usually keep me awake for a while, so by the time I got to deep sleep, I was in DEEP sleep and others getting themselves prepared for the day didn't wake me. The ear plugs were a life saver. Because of my late starts and the fact that I'm not a fast walker, and I liked to stop for a pleasant lunch with a beer, I was usually pulling up the rear when it came to the end of the day. Still, I never had a problem finding a bed in an albergue. I walked from May 21 to July 6th - maybe walking early in the season had something to do with that.
I carried a pair of light walking shoes for "evening wear," but after a couple hundred miles my feet had elongated enough that I couldn't wear them so I sent them home and bought a pair of sandals when I got to Burgos. The choice of sandals was easy - I have American sized feet and there was only one pair of sandals in the store that fit. I learned that the constant stress on your feet can cause their shape to change. Make sure your shoes have a little extra room in them, especially in the toe.
About the albergue security -- I kept cash and credit cards with me at all times, but I never had any problems with security and seriously, never gave any thought to it. The only thing of value I had in my back pack was a small camera and it was out of sight. In fact, over the entire Camino from Barcelona to Finisterre I didn't hear of anyone having problems with things being stolen. Of course, from Barcelona to Logrono, I had albergues, whenever there were albergues, all to myself. The only problem I had with security matters, as I've posted elsewhere, was when I sent two boxes of things back to the states that I wouldn't need in Spain - I spent another 7 weeks there after the Camino. In that case, both boxes were opened and a couple of things were stolen out of the first one, everything was stolen out of the second, including my Pilgrim Credentials and Compostela. (Books were placed in the box for weight, and it was sent on to me.) Lesson learned: don't send anything through Spanish mail that is not insured. The nice people in the Pilgrim Office sent me a replacement for the Compostela, but the stamped credentials are gone forever.

There's more information at http://www.ThePilgrimWalker.blogspot.com

Hey Frank, I'm one up on you. Here's the plan for scoring a private sleeping areas. Take a nap after you do you afternoon laundry and snore your head off. I did this routine at the municipal in Villafranca Montes de Oca and was offered a private bedroom worthy of the Archbishop. I know you well enough that a pillow over my face would be a comparable solution. See you in Portugal?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Newbie question!

This summer will be my first Camino and am just wondering what people sleep in?

Do you sleep in the shorts you will wear next day then put on shirt in the morning?

Apologies if the answer is one that I should know.

Jon.

I plan on walking the Camino from sjpdp starting in May of 2014. I saw a lot of security concerns, I plan on staying in Hotels & Inns, I'm wondering if I would have the same security issues? Would I be safe leaving laptop & camera in the Hotel room? Thanks for your feedback.

I plan on walking the Camino from sjpdp starting in May of 2014. I saw a lot of security concerns, I plan on staying in Hotels & Inns, I'm wondering if I would have the same security issues? Would I be safe leaving laptop & camera in the Hotel room? Thanks for your feedback.

Pat,

Welcome to the Forum!

Security can be a problem anywhere. Unless there is a locked safe in the room I would not leave anything of great value in that room while you are out.

That said I have walked nine caminos, usually stayed in pilgrim albergues and never had a loss. However like most pilgrims I keep passport, money, Credential and smartphone with me even in the shower.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In a hotel you do not need to take your wallet to the shower!:)

Leaving it in the room as you roam town probably is safe, but if it is that much of a burden, you may want to leave it at home. Since the WiFi will be somewhere you are roaming, you may want the computer with you, so the safest thing is to take it with you. Murphy's Law says that you will see the perfect photo when you have left your camera in the hotel room, so keeping it with you even if you don't see a security issue.

Have fun! The Camino is safe for the wary.

Newbie question!

This summer will be my first Camino and am just wondering what people sleep in?

Do you sleep in the shorts you will wear next day then put on shirt in the morning?

Apologies if the answer is one that I should know.

Jon.
Most people sleep in the clothes they are going to wear next day.

Pat, I walked from st jean PdP to Santiago de Compestela in 30 days last May/June 2013. The only reason I stayed at hotels (4 times) was to recharge my energy and have a hot bath in leisure. I experienced the time of my life staying in the municipal albergues. Great opportunity to meet people from all over and to share our joint experiences. Your call, that worked very well for me.

Hi I walked the Camino 2009 & routine the same. Slept in Tshirt & underwear walking in the next day & yes slept with my money & passport inside my sleeping bag. Starting our second Camino 21 May 2014. Looking forward to it. Karen & Danny(NZ)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sleep in clothes your gonna wear the next day?? ieuwww!!! Did not do that. Never seen anybody do that. Brrrr. For me, just my boxers. Everything else was too hot.

As for the daily routine, i can only refer to the words of wisdom from Fatboy Slim:
Eat, Walk, Sleep, Repeat, Eat, Walk, Sleep, Repeat

Last edited:
I was wondering whether can I don't "pre-book" my bed with the Albergues and just go to the Albergues when I arrive. Is it possible? While I'm starting my Camino on 25/26 July at Sarria... :)

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My guess is that about 25% do.

Maybe your right. I dont know. I guess i just didn't pay enough attention to other peoples bed rituals. But still...sleep in the clothes your gonna wear the next day. ieuwww (imho)

Last edited:
After a couple of weeks, nothing is really clean. Sleeping in today's or tomorrow's clothes might be a wash.

ieuwww?

From a fellow pilgrim as I put socks on a radiator to dry in Burgos, "Do those smell?"
Me, "After two weeks of walking, everything I have, smells."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After a couple of weeks, nothing is really clean. Sleeping in today's or tomorrow's clothes might be a wash.

ieuwww?

From a fellow pilgrim as I put socks on a radiator to dry in Burgos, "Do those smell?"
Me, "After two weeks of walking, everything I have, smells."

You took the words right out of my mouth. Even after "washing" clothes in cold water, storing in pack, or wearing them, everything smells the same. And not in a good way. Be comforted in the knowledge that everyone else smells the same on the camino and in the albergue.
And whatever you do, don't sniff an article of clothing to test whether it's "clean" or "dirty". :eek: It's pointless and you will take awhile to recover.:confused:

Maybe your right. I dont know. I guess i just didn't pay enough attention to other peoples bed rituals. But still...sleep in the clothes your gonna wear the next day. ieuwww (imho)
I was, of course, referring to the spare set of clean clothes you will be carrying - those washed and dried yesterday. Frankly, I would have thought that was obvious.
As the original "Daily Routine" post stated (and written by me, under another moniker), "wash today's underwear and socks, and hopefully find a place on the line in the hot sun".
What part of that didn't you understand????:D

I was, of course, referring to the spare set of clean clothes you will be carrying - those washed and dried yesterday. Frankly, I would have thought that was obvious.
As the original "Daily Routine" post stated (and written by me, under another moniker), "wash today's underwear and socks, and hopefully find a place on the line in the hot sun".
What part of that didn't you understand????:D

I got it. All of it. The "ieuwww" remark was not for wearing clothes to bed (although i hate wearing anything in bed), be it dirty or clean clothes, it was for wearing the clothes you sleep in, the next day. Those clothes are smelly of nightly sweat. Thats not very fresh, at least, not to me. But again, they are your clothes, you can wear them whenever you want :)
I just dont understand why anyone would want to do that. Do you take them of again in the morning, before freshening up? And then put them on again?
Like i said, i have never seen anybody sleeping in next days clothing, but other peoples bedrituals did not have my full attention ;)

As for the remarks on clean clothes that are smelly, what are you guys using to wash your clothes with??? Maybe use a machine and some good washingpowder?

I know for a fact that my clothes were nice and fresh after every machine wash. And if they weren't, i would wash them again :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I often sleep in the clothes I will wear next day.
I wash my clothes with cold water washing bars I buy in Spain; similar to Fels Naptha.
I cut them into 3 or 4 pieces and share with other pilgrims.
1/4 bar often lasts the entire Camino.

I do not often use the machines because the laundry soap is so fragranced it brings tears to my eyes!

I got it. All of it. The "ieuwww" remark was not for wearing clothes to bed (although i hate wearing anything in bed), be it dirty or clean clothes, it was for wearing the clothes you sleep in, the next day. Those clothes are smelly of nightly sweat. Thats not very fresh, at least, not to me. But again, they are your clothes, you can wear them whenever you want :)
I just dont understand why anyone would want to do that. Do you take them of again in the morning, before freshening up? And then put them on again?
Like i said, i have never seen anybody sleeping in next days clothing, but other peoples bedrituals did not have my full attention ;)

As for the remarks on clean clothes that are smelly, what are you guys using to wash your clothes with??? Maybe use a machine and some good washingpowder?

I know for a fact that my clothes were nice and fresh after every machine wash. And if they weren't, i would wash them again :)
OK, point taken about sleeping in next day's (clean) clothes. However, in the albergues I have slept in, it did appear that the majority spent the night in next day's underwear, so some extent or another....
The most bizarre episodes concerned those - of both sexes - who were so shy that they actually dressed/undressed INSIDE their sleeping bags.......
Or, perhaps their clothes were REALLY dirty.:D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hahahaha, how dirty can one get so you have to be ashamed of it :)

Yes, i did notice the shyness of some people on the camino. Mostly women, but also men. I dont get that, but i guess we cant all be the same.
I am gonna say something VERY dangerous now on this forum, seeing that there are many americans here, but most of the "bedroom shy" people i met were Americans. I found that to be even more strange. They were also the ones that looked at me strangely wenn i got out of bed just wearing my boxers.
Did i make them feel uncomfortable? Hmmmo_O I know i never felt uncomfortable.

Most people shower in the evening and will only freshen up face and hands in the morning.

I hardly showered in the morning. Only when it was really hot in the room and i would sweat like a pig, because the pilgrim "in charge" of the one window in the room had closed it. Why i ask you, why??!!! :confused:

But even without a shower in the morning, my armpits deserve a nice warm or cold splash of water in the morning as well, not just the face.

In years of sleeping in Patrol Tents, Bothies, Chata, Refuges and huts scattered across Europe, and lately in the blessed Albergues of the Camino I have observed that one does not observe ones fellow sleepers. This may be a European trait rather than a global one. But it is simply not done to "see" someone in a state of déshabillé. Whether your bunk-mate is portly and in Y-fronts or shapely and in a thong, pyjama clad or neatly nightied, is of no relevance because you will not see it; as they will offer the courtesy of not seeing you. Living in close intimacy with strangers can be disturbing to some, many, with a little self-discipline, will not even notice.

Me, I sleep in the underwear I will wear to walk in the following day, more if it's cold, seldom less. But I would hope no-one I have "bunked" with ever noticed. :rolleyes:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As a woman approaching 60 who had never slept in a dormitory prior to walking the camino Frances last year, I was more worried about the sleeping conditions than the walking. However after a couple of days, I was no longer fazed by the lack of privacy and close proximity of strangers - although sleeping a few inches away from someone could be a bit daunting. My biggest issue seemed to be a lack of coordination when packing up my belongings in the morning. No matter how organised I thought I had been the night before, or how early I awoke, I was always the last of my 'family' to be ready to leave.

Hahahaha, how dirty can one get so you have to be ashamed of it :)

Yes, i did notice the shyness of some people on the camino. Mostly women, but also men. I dont get that, but i guess we cant all be the same.
I am gonna say something VERY dangerous now on this forum, seeing that there are many americans here, but most of the "bedroom shy" people i met were Americans. I found that to be even more strange. They were also the ones that looked at me strangely wenn i got out of bed just wearing my boxers.
Did i make them feel uncomfortable? Hmmmo_O I know i never felt uncomfortable.
Its the truth i can say it as im American,but i have never been shy to get naked,LOL. Americas problems are from being prudes,No nudity on our TV but plenty of faux sex and violence. We were born naked so im comfortable but most people i know are not. Would people look at me funny if i got out of bed naked i hope not:rolleyes:o_O

Funny thing is my Avatar is me nude in a beautiful natural hot spring called Jordan hot springs in the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico. Very few people make it there cause its a trek in But i wouldnt care if you were nude or not,but dont be upset cuz i am;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I saw very few washing machines overall, and definitely none where they'd let you wash something again (unless maybe nobody else wanted to use the machine). I'd love to know where they all are. :)

I had my clothes machine washed twice on camino: in Azófra (free!!) and Frómista, then not again until after the camino at The Little Fox House (thanks Tracy!!).

Best wishes.

Saw no machines? Serious? I washed frequently and at least 80/85% of the time i used a washing machine and dryer. Sometimes you can operate it yourself, sometimes the albergues do it for you. If i would have to guess, this for me would be about 50/50, but i never had my washing done for free :)

I payed anything between 2 and 4 euros for the use of washing machine and dryer. On average probably 7 euros for washing and drying, incl soap.
Most of the time i used the machines alone, but if people wanted to share, i shared.

I wash my walking clothes every day, as soon as I arrive at my accommodation. In the shower if possible (a bit of soap and lots of stomping) or a washing trough. That's one pair of socks, one underpants and bra, one top and one pair thin walking trousers. Except for the socks they are dry within hours.

The underwear and top I put on after my shower will be worn the next day. I only take two sets of underwear but I do take 3 pairs of socks.

Hate sleeping in clothes so undress and wear a light nightdress. Walking clothes laid out at the end of the bed each night ready for the morning. No rustling of bags in the morning looking for things.

I went to boarding school for a while and swear I can fully change without revealing any flesh. If in doubt I take my glasses off - on the basis that if I can't see you, you can't see me ....

I payed anything between 2 and 4 euros for the use of washing machine and dryer. On average probably 7 euros for washing and drying, incl soap.
Most of the time i used the machines alone, but if people wanted to share, i shared.

Why use electricity and resources when all that is needed is a tiny bit of muscle? Considering physical effort is essential to the Camino this seems weird to me.

Why use electricity and resources when all that is needed is a tiny bit of muscle? Considering physical effort is essential to the Camino this seems weird to me.

Then i guess you dont write emails as well, you write letters to the ones you left back home? Why use electricity when all you need is pen and paper, right?

You point does not make any sence. For all the negative you seem to be taking out of a machine, why not try to look at it in a more positive way. It also helps local economy, as i am not the only one using these machines.
Of course this is not the reason i used them, but still.....it is true.

The nr one reason why people dont use the waching machines, is money. At least, thats what ive found. Most wanted to, but just could not get themselfs to pay 3-4 euros for a good clean washing. That of course, is their choice and has nothing at all to do with not wanting it or having something against it, 'cause every time i offered others to use "my" machine (for free), they did not know how fast they should say "yes". And they we're very happy with it. Sometimes a bit too happy if you ask me.

Oh, and these machines clean your clothes ten times better then a tiny bit of muscle. Big, Huge pro...

Last edited:
Then i guess you dont wrote emails as well, you write letters to the ones you left back home? Why use electricity when all you need is pen and paper, right?.

Dutch, I will not get involved in trading personal insults.

I apologise for offending you if you disliked my questioning of your statement that "most of the time I used the machines alone".

It would be interesting to compare resources used to carry a letter to Australia by plane compared to an email or text message.

[/quote]It also helps local economy, as i am not the only one using these machines..[/quote]

We tend to stay these days in Casa Rurals and Chambre d'hotes which probably helps the local economy a bit.

[/quote]Oh, and these machines clean your clothes ten times better then a tiny bit of muscle. Big, Huge pro...[/quote]

Yes, no doubt you are right. We use a washing machine every couple of weeks to thoroughly wash everything.

I'm curious. Is your username Dutch because you have a connection with Holland?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Saw no machines? Serious? I washed frequently and at least 80/85% of the time i used a washing machine and dryer.

Just for clarification: It's not that I didn't see any machines, it's that I saw very few. Perhaps I was not looking as hard for them. It's good to know. Thanks for the information.

Dutch, I will not get involved in trading personal insults.

I apologise for offending you if you disliked my questioning of your statement that "most of the time I used the machines alone".

It would be interesting to compare resources used to carry a letter to Australia by plane compared to an email or text message.

I was not offended. It takes a bit more to get me offended.
I do get the feeling you feel insulted? If so, then i will apologise, 'cause that was not my intention. I was merely pointing out that i found the comment very strange, but now i get the idea that it is not the usage of the washing machine, but the fact that i used it alone most of the time that got you to comment the way you did.

Whats wrong with that? Why should i do handwashing and/or change my ways, merely because somebody else does not want to spent money on washing with me, but when i offer them to use "my" machine for free, they dont say No either.
When i use a machine, i dont go shopping around to see who wants to share so i can save a euro or two. If somebody wants to share and they are around, ok. If not, also ok, i was gonna spend the money anyways. If i know somebody is on a tight budget i offer "my" machine for free. And thats fine.

So it is only ok, the way i read the above, to use a machine once every few weeks, but not every week? Why? Why is, in your eyes, what you do ok and what i do not so much? Im curious.

Yes, Dutch has something to do with me being Dutch :);)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I wash my walking clothes every day, as soon as I arrive at my accommodation.....

My habit was identical to yours, Kanga, until a few years ago. Now I only wash underwear on a daily basis and for the rest my motto is now "if it doesn't stink, don't wash it."

It's not a big deal, but since I always wear a long shirt and long pants (for skin cancer reasons), not washing them every day by hand was a bit of a liberation for me! Laurie

If it dont stink, dont wash it? A shirt worn on a warm (camino) day on bare skin always smells/stinks. Maybe not the minute you take it off or while wearing it (seeing as fresh sweat doesnt stink) but most definately the next day, when it had time to settle and dry into the fabric. The same goes for socks. Even made out of hi-tech anti-bacterial fabrics.

The "problem" here is that a person is not objective when it comes to his/her own scent, simply because they are used to it. It is their smell and they are surrounded by it the whole day thru and in all sorts of conditions.
Other people are not used to it and chances are that they are not so fond of somebody else's day old scent.

A few thoughts on this whole topic of washing and stink. Wool is naturally stink resistant, whereas tech fabrics tend to hold onto it (after a while, even normal washing won't get rid of it).

Therefore, my base layer is lightweight merino wool for underwear and tee shirts, and as my base layer. Over these, I'll wear standard backpacking fare --- pants with zip off/on legs, long-sleeve treking shirts with roll up sleeves and ventilation. The worst of the stink is caught at the wool layer, and the tech stuff lasts longer with regular washing (hand or machine) before the "permanent" stink sets in. When on three to five day backpacking trips, I'll wear the same outer layer the entire time and change my base layer every other day without washing. Only on longer trips will I worry about washing. BUT, while I might smell of smoke from the campfire, I generally don't smell that bad from the sweat.

When washing tech fabrics by hand, I focus on the pits, crotch, and back areas which are most vulnerable to stink build up. Not washing the tech fabrics daily (because "it doesn't stink") allows the bacteria colonies to establish themselves, which will accelerate the eventual "permanent" stink to build up. Once it has set in, the only way I've found to really clean the "permanent" stink build up from tech fabrics is to soak the fabric overnight in a water solution that includes enzymatic cleaners, such as Resolve. The enzymes "consume" the bacteria colonies that have built up on the fabric and result in the residual stink.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As to using laundry machines on the Camino, I agree that they are now quite common (more so in private than public albergues). I also agree that they are expensive for daily use. Therefore, my next Camino plan is to take three days of base layer (underwear, tee shirt, socks) and two full days of walking cloths, plus a third (partial) set for use in the evenings. This will permit me to machine wash clothes only every other day (half the cost and more time for relaxation, exploration, vino y tapas, etc.). I've already run the weight calculations, and with some compensating gear reductions, I can still stay right at my target pack weight of 5 kg.

As the original poster on this "Daily Routine" thread (under a previous username) I reckon this clothes washing discussion has been about done to death. What more can be said about it??:D
Could we move onto something else, like rustling bags in the early morning, for instance?

Last edited:
If it dont stink, dont wash it? A shirt worn on a warm (camino) day on bare skin always smells/stinks. Maybe not the minute you take it off or while wearing it (seeing as fresh sweat doesnt stink) but most definately the next day, when it had time to settle and dry into the fabric. The same goes for socks. Even made out of hi-tech anti-bacterial fabrics.

I'd disagree with that. I've been using Rab antibacterial clothing for a year and it will go a long time without smelling. And that's not just my biased nose. It works.

My first use of it was in the mountains of Asturias, five days of very hard walking in 30degC+ temperatures. One shirt the whole way, never washed. No smells that anyone noticed. I've given it some hard wear ever since including going running in it throughout the winter.

The stuff works and it works well. It's also got a high SPF rating too.

As the original poster on this "Daily Routine" thread (under a previous username) I reckon this clothes washing discussion has been about done to death. What more can be said about it??:D
Could we move onto something else, like rustling bags in the early morning, for instance?

I could not agree with you more and the mind boggles, but all the fine ladies that I have met over only 4,000 km of Camino may be very very offended.

So I assume now that you are no longer Travelingman incognito !!!!!!!

Buen Camino

I'd disagree with that. I've been using Rab antibacterial clothing for a year and it will go a long time without smelling. And that's not just my biased nose. It works.

My first use of it was in the mountains of Asturias, five days of very hard walking in 30degC+ temperatures. One shirt the whole way, never washed. No smells that anyone noticed. I've given it some hard wear ever since including going running in it throughout the winter.

The stuff works and it works well. It's also got a high SPF rating too.
I'm a big fan of the Rab Merino-Cocona (MeCo) blends, but I suspect you're using their Polygiene treated products. Most antibacterial treatments are silver-based (as is Polygiene), but I've never found any that kept their effectiveness under heavy use for more than about year (the treatment seems to break down over time).

Sounds like Rab/Polygiene may have upped the bar.

I could not agree with you more and the mind boggles, but all the fine ladies that I have met over only 4,000 km of Camino may be very very offended.

So I assume now that you are no longer Travelingman incognito !!!!!!!

Buen Camino
Well, far be it from me to offend anyone, let alone fine ladies. I just think the clothes washing bit has been beaten to death, and not on riverbank stones....
My next camino: the Invierno - short on albergues/hostals/places to wash, so I will launder my clothes when I reach Santiago, whether they need it, or not.;) and myself, of course.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Daily Routine?? I am able to dress/undress in the dark, if you wait a few moments eyes will adjust, I then pick up my sleep bag, and other items that are in a soft string bag and exit stage left, I walk, drink, eat, drink, stretch (has to be done this Camino!!)..my husband says He will take a shower this week even though he doesn't need it (Phew). I think we all (stone throwing here) wash outer clothes too much. Like Laurie I will be trying to wear long arms/legs (less sunscreen/cancer risk)..and stamp on my undies in the shower or sink.
The whole Daily Routine begins again on Apr 8th and I can't wait...and I hope all the machines/modern aids I use at home like me get a break...no cooking, washing, putting away, planning, buying etc...love to be a wandering hermit (maybe)

Buen Camino Unadara! Sound advice you give except I would not stamp on my undies in the shower. The state of some floors in the showers is not optimal. I always wore my clean Crocs in the shower just to be sure not to get some icky stuff on my feet...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm trying to picture you, "stamping on your undies in the sink"...be careful not to hit your head on the ceiling.....

Slow down Travellingman you are getting far too exited picturing Unadara jumping up and down in the sink. One post is always sufficient and maybe a spell in a darkened room maybe beneficial.

I keep hearing about washing / stomping your clothes in the shower. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would do this! We wear flipflops in the shower for a reason. The floors inside and outside the shower are crawling with critters and grunge. And not to be indelicate here, but many, many times I have heard men hawking in the shower, and have seen the results if I'm next in. And many people pee in the shower. Oh yes you do - you know who you are. So although your clothes might smell marginally better because of soap and shampoo, god knows what's on them in the end. I'd rather freeze my hands off washing my clothes outside under the tap.

Saw no machines? Serious? I washed frequently and at least 80/85% of the time i used a washing machine and dryer. Sometimes you can operate it yourself, sometimes the albergues do it for you. If i would have to guess, this for me would be about 50/50, but i never had my washing done for free :)

Criky! Dutch must be a man!
And what a waste of good afternoon sun to dry your clothes in a few hours. Total waste of electricity here, I think! Anne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh Boys you have me laughing now....every time I go to wash "things" I will think of this thread and how we are all so different. I do operate a modicum of self control in all matters and have some standards. So after 2 grande cervesas (por favor) at that little bar on the side of the alberque as I wait for the key I throw the balls in the air and decide, hygiene, routine, wash and change OR have a Vino Tinto beforehand...has happened especially when other pilgrims arrive,join you, tell stories..

When I travel whether hiking or regular, I always have a medium zip lock bag. Drop undies, water and a Squirt of shampoo into bag. Squeeze out most of the air, then drop the bag on the floor and stomp. Keeps feet off " dirty " floor and end up with clean undies without too much time in the shower or using too much water.

Some grey nomad came up with an ingenious method of washing clothes. Put them in a lidded bucket 3/4 filled with water and a tiny amount of washing detergent (one teaspoon). Tie bucket to back of caravan. Drive caravan over rough outback roads. Take clothes out of bucket, squeeze, refill bucket with clean water and detergent, repeat process. Clothes are now well washed and ready to dry.

I'm trying to think of a way of adapting this to the Camino. Think I need some of that dehydrated water.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There's an internet post somewhere which I can't find again just now, which advocates similar using wide-mouth bottle.
Insert clothes (as large as shirt even), water, drop of detergent or shampoo. Cap on bottle, few minutes of wild or gentle shaking, according to your style, rinse in same fashion, done.

I guess tying it to a backpack would provide plenty of friction.

I saw on line that someone used a waterproof camping sack put the cloths in with soap seal the bag and smash shake whatever and it works.

Some grey nomad came up with an ingenious method of washing clothes. Put them in a lidded bucket 3/4 filled with water and a tiny amount of washing detergent (one teaspoon). Tie bucket to back of caravan. Drive caravan over rough outback roads. Take clothes out of bucket, squeeze, refill bucket with clean water and detergent, repeat process. Clothes are now well washed and ready to dry.

I'm trying to think of a way of adapting this to the Camino. Think I need some of that dehydrated water.

Hello Kanga,
Yes the dehydrated water is an absolute must, secondly a small bucket with a hole in it to let the water out saving weight again. I've tried carrying those dehydrated meals on other treks, they are heavy.
" There's a hole in my bucket dear Kanga, a hole !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using a waterproof roll-top camping bag as a washing machine does work well. I also usually do the stomping on the dirty clothes in the shower but do this as a pre-wash and then the laundry chore is easier as the clothes are already half cleaned. But, yea, check the state of the shower first!

The "problem" here is that a person is not objective when it comes to his/her own scent, simply because they are used to it. It is their smell and they are surrounded by it the whole day thru and in all sorts of conditions.
Other people are not used to it and chances are that they are not so fond of somebody else's day old scent.
I've only one thing to say Dutch, suck it up son, each to his own.

Your right there, tictoc. Absolutely. And thats a good thing too. I agree.

I was just stating simple facts
- everybody sweats, everybody stinks....in the end
- fresh sweat doesnt stink, but the next day it sure does
- a proven fact, one person is not objective to his/her own smell

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back